Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
At speed, don't forget. Otherwise it's kinda ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

ought ten posted:

This is nothing CA doesn't already know, but nice to have some actual analysis. Berkeley says splitting is safe

http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2015/05/29/motorcycle-lanesplitting-report/

I rarely get a chance to split in moving traffic here on the east coast, but I'm surprised they found speed differentials were safe up to 15 mph. I thought 10 seemed about right.

My girlfriend's mom and I got into a pretty heated debate about this and I kept telling her that multiple studies have proven its safe and can greatly reduce rear end collisions among motorcyclists. She said "NO. NO. You're wrong, I have been to California and its dangerous."

It was more confusing to me because she is an avid cyclist and I had no idea so many cyclists are against lane splitting. Maybe its because they're on the wrong set of two wheels. :smug:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I had one tell me that filtering to the front at a stoplight was 'disrespectful' but he had no real answer for why other places specifically have cycle boxes at the front of intersections.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Koruthaiolos posted:

WTF, I think this is probably the most wrong thing I've ever seen posted in CA.

If you wave at them it throws them off and instead of scrutinising you for possible legal infractions they just wave back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucEdfhZNHaM

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

nsaP posted:

I had one tell me that filtering to the front at a stoplight was 'disrespectful' but he had no real answer for why other places specifically have cycle boxes at the front of intersections.

I find it extremely irritating when cyclists do it because they're so much slower than everything and might as well hang towards the back since they're going nowhere fast anyways. Nothing worse than passing a cyclist only to have them troll right past at the next light and then having to pass them again.

Really though, cities should have cycle routes that aren't shared spaces. I'd happily pay a lot more in taxes for that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You're in the East Bay, right? What's the availability like?

right. Its on Alameda island. gated, access 24/7.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

A friends relative said this same thing to me and she literally admitted that "it's not fair that you get to go before me if I was first to the light".

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
This is just a gut feeling, but cyclists around me tend to give off the vibe that they consider themselves a vehicle, or not, as it suits them.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

I approve

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
My friend texted me yesterday and said his 49cc Kymco 2-stroke scooter was struggling to accelerate and hold speeds over 20mph so I picked him and his bike up. He mentioned a grinding noise so I took a look inside the transmission and everything looked normal so I pulled the plug...

Pretty sure that's not going to work.
Last time he needed oil for the injection tank he went into the shop where he bought the scooter and asked an employee for help finding oil. My friend isn't mechanically inclined, but he knows what kind of bike he has, and specifically that it's a 2-stroke (a same model 4-stroke 49cc was also available that year.)
The shop kid handed him some 4-stroke oil and insisted that it was the correct oil so he's been running that for a while. :ughh:

We siphoned the pale green oil out of his tank and filled it with honest to god 2-stroke oil and threw in a new plug and he's back on the road. It's too bad every interaction he's had with the shop, including buying the scooter, has been a poo poo-show. There aren't many alternatives for us locally. It's pretty much them or the Harley shop.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yikes. I put 10w30 in a weed eater once cos I'm lazy and it ran like poo poo and I'm pretty sure I did some pretty significant engine damage during the 5 mins I was running it.

Still works, but has rod knock now heh

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So I'm redoing my license, taking a safety course again. Good practice at the basics and low speed control. Also learned how to turn a bike on the kickstand, which I never knew how to do before. Pretty handy!
Also also, I get to ride a grom without it being shameful or embarrassing, and it's pretty decent, if a bit pointless. The seat is a plank though.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Linedance posted:

Also learned how to turn a bike on the kickstand, which I never knew how to do before. Pretty handy!

Huh?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Google or search youtube for "how to turn a motorbike on its kickstand" or similar. Bonus: being able to practice on someone else's bike.
(leaned 2 different methods)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhpeeEjheEE

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I love that guy; he's so irritated that he had to show off the kickstand trick.

Is that it? Are we done now? Turn the loving thing off, please.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Actually leaned the opposite, where you lean it towards you.. That video seems safer if the kickstand collapses. The other way is just to line yourself up with the handlebars and pull on the far bar to drag it around.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

"trick" not for use on KTM :cawg:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Don't do that on a Ducati or a Triumph 675 either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Don't do that on a Ducati or a Triumph 675 either.

Yeah I wouldn't risk it on my old multistrada. Apparently Honda's are the easiest, Kawasaki's are OK but can be a pig, Yamaha uses spindly stands so maybe not so wise. Don't know about the rest. But it was a complete doddle on the cbr125 demonstrator.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I tried it on my Rocket III but it was a disaster.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

works awesome on japanese dualsport bikes

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

captainOrbital posted:

I tried it on my Rocket III but it was a disaster.

You don't need to turn a Rocket 3 on its kickstand. Just slip the clutch and blip the throttle and the torque will turn the world around it.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

revmoo posted:

I find it extremely irritating when cyclists do it because they're so much slower than everything and might as well hang towards the back since they're going nowhere fast anyways. Nothing worse than passing a cyclist only to have them troll right past at the next light and then having to pass them again.

Really though, cities should have cycle routes that aren't shared spaces. I'd happily pay a lot more in taxes for that.
Sorry you have to slow down a few seconds to pass a cyclist safely, it's safer for a cyclist to start ahead of everyone after a light instead of filtering behind where assholes like to suddenly change lanes or decide they need to turn right running you over in the process. It also lets the cyclist establish a safe position in the lane instead of having to try and edge into cars or ride in the door zone. I would think people on motorcycles would understand the plight of other two wheel vehicles who have to deal with even more poo poo.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gillingham posted:

Sorry you have to slow down a few seconds to pass a cyclist safely, it's safer for a cyclist to start ahead of everyone after a light instead of filtering behind where assholes like to suddenly change lanes or decide they need to turn right running you over in the process. It also lets the cyclist establish a safe position in the lane instead of having to try and edge into cars or ride in the door zone. I would think people on motorcycles would understand the plight of other two wheel vehicles who have to deal with even more poo poo.

I don't understand why they need to be first in line - they will be immediately out-accelerated by cars after the light turns green, leaving them just as vulnerable as before, right? Now the motorcyclist is in the same dangerous position.

And I think the issue is that bicyclists like to behave like a car or a pedestrian depending on what's convenient. Every single day I see cyclists cut over from a traffic lane, then onto the sidewalk, through the crosswalk, and then back onto the road. It's a real danger when you want to turn and suddenly a bicycle on the sidewalk darts out in front of you.

Lastly, the only person I've ever had spit on me was a cyclist who started screaming at me once he rode past me in my lane in heavy traffic. I don't feel much camaraderie with cyclists.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Radbot posted:

I don't understand why they need to be first in line - they will be immediately out-accelerated by cars after the light turns green, leaving them just as vulnerable as before, right? Now the motorcyclist is in the same dangerous position.
It's pretty easy to out accelerate normal drivers on a bike to establish lane position. Unless someones flooring it, it doesn't too much effort to get ahead off the light especially since you generally can figure out when the lights gonna turn.

Riding behind/next to cars at intersections is really dangerous for bicycles, compare how visible you are between:
and
If you don't filter ahead at the light you're almost always going to be forced into the wrong position by traffic when the light turns green vs being able to get out ahead and be visible and in position moving forward.
I can't find the exact inforgraphic I have in my head that described where cyclists should be in traffic but http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/chapter2a.htm http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/chapter4a.htm seems to be fairly good at describing most of them.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

I've been in the same position as Blue Car, except when on my biek. Dude on the bicycle just passes me on the right as I'm starting to make a right turn. That's a lot more dangerous, because it puts ME in danger, since I could fall off my motorcycle.

So now I follow goon advice and just get way to the right when I'm waiting to make a right turn.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Radbot posted:

I assume you mean cyclists, not motorcyclists. But yeah. They're in more danger if they filter to the front because now EVERYONE is passing them instead of SOME people passing them. And people tend to be a lot more aggressive when they're packed together trying to pass a cyclist right after a light vs spread-out traffic passing in an occasional manner on the open road.

I actually think motorcyclists should be allowed to filter up and bicyclists have to sit at the back. It seems unfair but I think it balances safety and fairness best.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
In places with those boxes the cyclist is the one doing the passing.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

revmoo posted:

I assume you mean cyclists, not motorcyclists. But yeah. They're in more danger if they filter to the front because now EVERYONE is passing them instead of SOME people passing them. And people tend to be a lot more aggressive when they're packed together trying to pass a cyclist right after a light vs spread-out traffic passing in an occasional manner on the open road.

I actually think motorcyclists should be allowed to filter up and bicyclists have to sit at the back. It seems unfair but I think it balances safety and fairness best.
I wish there was a retarded equivalent of 'cagers' that I could call you all right now as motorcyclists. I would much rather be ahead of people, establish where I'm going to be in the lane, and have people pass me than deal with crossing an intersection with limited visibility of other lanes, cross traffic, and risk people turning right into me.
Having SOME people pass you when you're fighting to get where you need to be in the lane, and are crossing through an intersection with people turning right as well as cross traffic turning across your lane of travel is far less safe.
This is from years of riding in bicycles throughout LA and surrounding areas, if you think SMIDSY is bad on a motorcycle try being on something way less visible, that makes no noise and then follow the advice you're giving to become even less visible at the most dangerous place you're going to encounter. You're gonna have a bad time.

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 4, 2015

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Minkee posted:

My girlfriend's mom and I got into a pretty heated debate about this and I kept telling her that multiple studies have proven its safe and can greatly reduce rear end collisions among motorcyclists. She said "NO. NO. You're wrong, I have been to California and its dangerous."

It was more confusing to me because she is an avid cyclist and I had no idea so many cyclists are against lane splitting. Maybe its because they're on the wrong set of two wheels. :smug:

Cyclists are strange, they should be natural allies of bikers but the only reason why Transport for London haven't permanently allowed bikes into bus lanes is because of cyclist pressure groups are adamant that motorbikes are too dangerous to share the bus lanes with bicycles.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Gillingham posted:

This is from years of riding in bicycles throughout LA and surrounding areas, if you think SMIDSY is bad on a motorcycle try being on something way less visible, that makes no noise and then follow the advice you're giving to become even less visible at the most dangerous place you're going to encounter. You're gonna have a bad time.

Your whole post is insane, but a SMIDSY is clearly far worse on a motorcycle specifically due to the speeds involved. A bicycle has much less to worry about in that regard.

Regardless, we'll have to agree to disagree on the bicyclist filtering argument.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

cursedshitbox posted:

right. Its on Alameda island. gated, access 24/7.

How hard was it to find a place? You just look on Craigslist?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

This was a good post.

Slavvy posted:

What happened?

Tire punctured, deflated at freeway speed. Never had that happen before. Was stuck in an area with no shoulder, so had to limp it a safe zone. CHP was there in 5 minutes, free Bay Bridge tow service in 8, skyhooked the bike for me, and dropped it gracefully into the bed of the truck. All in all, not so bad!

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was driving to work, pulled up to a 4 way stop, saw this bicycle riding dude just blow through it and make a left turn. Glad he didn't run into the truck that had started to pull through. I don't mind sharing the road with cyclists, I just wish more of them would obey the rules of the road so I know what they're going to be doing. Except the ones that split up the side like Gillingham mentioned; to me, that makes sense. Get to the front and establish your position.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Cyclists are strange, they should be natural allies of bikers but the only reason why Transport for London haven't permanently allowed bikes into bus lanes is because of cyclist pressure groups are adamant that motorbikes are too dangerous to share the bus lanes with bicycles.

TfL *do* allow cyclists in bus lanes on almost all of the routes they administer (1- and most 2-digit A roads plus the Inner Ring), although it's still officially a pilot and if Boris ever needs Green Party support to get something through the Assembly then the pilot will end quick-smart because the Greens are still adamant it's dangerous (and are still suppressing the results of the Archway trial 8 years on because it shows their position is wrong).

The bus lanes that don't allow bikes are controlled by the boroughs, which is why I keep getting £80 fines from loving Camden Council when I forget that you can use the bus lane on Holborn but not on High Holborn even though they're the same loving road, but it goes from City of London to TfL (Holborn Viaduct only because neither council wants to pay for its upkeep) to Camden control.

I keep having to suppress schadenfreude (because no man is an island, the death of one diminishes all, etc) that the rash of cyclist deaths during the winter that kicked off Operation Safeway were almost exclusively caused either by cyclist stupidity alone or a combination of that and the extremely silly layout of the Cycle Superhighways at some junctions. I'm also well pissed off that to keep the Greens happy they're destroying the best motorbike commuting road in London (Embankment) to give cyclists grade separation without pissing off the tourist coach companies.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
https://www.ktm.com/us/supermoto/690-smc-r/

:bubblewoop:

Edit: Oh, looks like site redesign means they don't break it out by region anymore :(

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 4, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TfL *do* allow cyclists in bus lanes on almost all of the routes they administer (1- and most 2-digit A roads plus the Inner Ring), although it's still officially a pilot and if Boris ever needs Green Party support to get something through the Assembly then the pilot will end quick-smart because the Greens are still adamant it's dangerous (and are still suppressing the results of the Archway trial 8 years on because it shows their position is wrong).

The bus lanes that don't allow bikes are controlled by the boroughs, which is why I keep getting £80 fines from loving Camden Council when I forget that you can use the bus lane on Holborn but not on High Holborn even though they're the same loving road, but it goes from City of London to TfL (Holborn Viaduct only because neither council wants to pay for its upkeep) to Camden control.

I keep having to suppress schadenfreude (because no man is an island, the death of one diminishes all, etc) that the rash of cyclist deaths during the winter that kicked off Operation Safeway were almost exclusively caused either by cyclist stupidity alone or a combination of that and the extremely silly layout of the Cycle Superhighways at some junctions. I'm also well pissed off that to keep the Greens happy they're destroying the best motorbike commuting road in London (Embankment) to give cyclists grade separation without pissing off the tourist coach companies.

Heh. How about this: Auckland is peppered with these double-wide sidewalks that have painted lines separating pedestrian and cyclist lanes. There is one road in particular which is statistically very dangerous for pushbikes, despite having such a sidewalk (it's even wider than most!). Why? Because instead of riding in the designated lane, cyclists insist on sharing traffic with cars on a narrow, single lane road with a cliff face on one side and the ocean on the other. Now the council is under pressure to somehow make the road safer for cyclists, which is basically impossible because there simply isn't enough room anywhere to do so, because they all refuse to use the designated cycling lane because they might occasionally have to go around people pushing a pram/walking a dog. I'm not joking. A good half dozen fatalities on the same corner are somehow less deterring than rude pedestrians.

I have no sympathy for cyclists because, like motorbike riders, most crashes are caused by the rider putting themselves in a needlessly dangerous situation.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Uuugh I am having a complete bitch of a time trying to find a new helmet. The stores around here are loving worthless. "oh we're fresh out of xs -insert helmet model- sorry", 4 times in a row, yeah right. I don't particularly want to spend $8 every time I want to see if a helmet fits. Fuuuuckkkkk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I also wear small / extra small depending on brand. Try on a size larger of what you're interested in and it'll pretty much feel like the smaller size broken in that you order online. Also, every salesman looks at me like I'm retarded when I say I wear XS/S.