Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Blinkz0rz posted:

Man, Apple makes really nice hardware except the Macbook power bricks are god awful. First off, even when they work perfectly there only thing they have to secure the cable to the brick is that tiny clip which always detaches itself. Second, the tabs securing the plastic wings are really flimsy. I've had my laptop for a few months now and one of the tabs has already popped off. I have to wind the cable very carefully just to make sure the wing doesn't fall out.

What's stupid is that other manufacturers have solved this problem years ago but Apple can't seem to get their act together.

I don't know man, I've had Apple notebooks since 2006 and only one of them has ever given me issue. Similar thing with the 30 pin and lightning cables, never had to replace one of those. Anecdotal evidence goes both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I've had tons of problems with Apple power adapters, but never had an issue with the old-new ones that run parallel to the machine. The old-old ones were terrible and constantly frayed and destroyed themselves. Haven't had to have one of those replaced even once. Even got an adapter for MagSafe 2 instead of having to use one of the perpendicular (T-shaped) ones again.

YMMV. But isn't this the software thread lol

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are there 3rd party power adapters for magsafe Macbooks? They'll need circuitry to do the handshake.

perhonen
May 7, 2007
Not really. There are some really hacky solutions that involve cutting off the magsafe tip and rewiring it though.

The good news is that with Thunderbolt 3 being in the USB-C form factor we'll probably see the macbook lineup move to it over the next year or two, and then you can buy generic USB-C chargers.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Having a boot issue with a MacMini 5,3 after installing Yosemite.

It was working just fine, but one day it crashed and got stuck in an ongoing loop of trying to boot, and an error comes up and it restarts itself. This doesn't stop until you hold the power button down to kill it.

I managed to get it running by booting into recovery mode and repairing the disk and permissions. It worked for a week or so, but then did the same thing. I tried repairing the disk and permissions again and it DID boot, but crashed when I tried shutting down and now I'm stuck again.

Before repairing permissions I booted in verbose mode and took a video. I have no idea what's going on here, but I hope someone can chime in and explain why the issue is happening so I can fix it once and for all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5DDREowuMc

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

frenziedslacker posted:

The good news is that with Thunderbolt 3 being in the USB-C form factor we'll probably see the macbook lineup move to it over the next year or two, and then you can buy generic USB-C chargers.
How do people feel about the possibility of losing MagSafe? Battery life long enough at this point that it's not a huge deal?

angor posted:

I managed to get it running by booting into recovery mode and repairing the disk and permissions. It worked for a week or so, but then did the same thing. I tried repairing the disk and permissions again and it DID boot, but crashed when I tried shutting down and now I'm stuck again.
Does it say it finds any problems and fixes them? Just wondering if it could be a disk issue.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So the two-factor support added in 10.10.3 is still occasionally busted -- at least I think that's what the cause is. I don't recall seeing this issue before when I using an app-specific password. Once every few days I get securityd eating 100% of my CPU and I'm unable to fetch any mail, and this is on a fresh 10.10.3 install. Here's hoping 10.10.4 provides a fix. :(

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
I'm getting a "Self assigned IP address" issue only on my home wifi. I didn't make any config changes on my MacBook, router/modem, or iPhone. I've tried about every fix I could find online (reset all devices, delete saved credentials and reconnect, repair disk permissions, manually delete wireless related files in SystemConfiguration). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

japtor posted:

How do people feel about the possibility of losing MagSafe? Battery life long enough at this point that it's not a huge deal?

I work from a desk a lot and am constantly getting up to get books, some water, go to the bathroom, etc. The laptop goes where I go and I'm too cheap to buy a second power brick, so the cord isn't neatly tucked behind the desk or anything. I can't count the number of times I've kicked the cord and had it unplug. If it had been plugged in with a normal connector I have no doubt it would have hit the ground a few times by now.

I know that's niche as hell, but I'm hoping they keep it at least on the MBPs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cyrano4747 posted:

I know that's niche as hell, but I'm hoping they keep it at least on the MBPs.

Breakaway magsafe USB-C adapter. Simpsons did it.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

japtor posted:

Does it say it finds any problems and fixes them? Just wondering if it could be a disk issue.

When I ran it before, I can't remember if it fixed anything on the disk, but it definitely repaired a few permissions.

When I run it now, there's nothing to repair on the disk and there are no permissions to repair. So I restart and it starts booting, and this flashes up quickly. Managed to get a picture of it: http://imgur.com/Tdipp6Y

Looking closely at this...I have AirDisplay installed on this machine. Could that be messing everything up?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

angor posted:

When I ran it before, I can't remember if it fixed anything on the disk, but it definitely repaired a few permissions.

When I run it now, there's nothing to repair on the disk and there are no permissions to repair. So I restart and it starts booting, and this flashes up quickly. Managed to get a picture of it: http://imgur.com/Tdipp6Y

Looking closely at this...I have AirDisplay installed on this machine. Could that be messing everything up?

Can you boot into safe mode? If you can, uninstall and/or disable 3rd party startup programs (and definitely AirDisplay)

Do you have any Time Machine backups? Absolute worse case scenario if everything else fails, try a Internet Recovery and restore from a Time Machine date prior to shenanigans.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 4, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And does the hardware test run?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

RusteJuxx posted:

Join the lovely SpiderOak family. I use it for personal use (going on 5 years) on three Macs and I've had it deployed at work across OS environments for two years. It's rock solid and easy to manage plus completely secure.

Welp, the Refer-a-Friend system is currently disabled, so I'd be looking at registering without that, and probably paying for larger scale storage.

The SpiderOak topic isn't all that helpful right now, either, since the last post I got after telling them that referrals was broken, was wondering why anyone would still want to use SpiderOak when there's BoxCryptor and 1TB of free OneDrive storage.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So the two-factor support added in 10.10.3 is still occasionally busted -- at least I think that's what the cause is. I don't recall seeing this issue before when I using an app-specific password. Once every few days I get securityd eating 100% of my CPU and I'm unable to fetch any mail, and this is on a fresh 10.10.3 install. Here's hoping 10.10.4 provides a fix. :(

Do you have Gmail w/two factor by any chance? I've seen it a bunch, for me it tends to be when launching Mail and it checks my gmail. It hangs in trying to sign in or something (according to Mail's activity window) and securityd eats up CPU. Canceling the sign in attempt (x in the activity window) fixes it for me, securityd goes back to normal and Mail signs in just fine.

...that said I've had issues with cloudd (and/or bird?) going wild seemingly randomly which is quite annoying.

Kumquat posted:

I'm getting a "Self assigned IP address" issue only on my home wifi. I didn't make any config changes on my MacBook, router/modem, or iPhone. I've tried about every fix I could find online (reset all devices, delete saved credentials and reconnect, repair disk permissions, manually delete wireless related files in SystemConfiguration). Does anyone have any recommendations?
What's the network setup like in terms of devices and IP distribution (if you know it), like just a combo modem/router giving out addresses w/DHCP to the MacBook and iPhone? If so my wild guess would be something with the modem loving up...just cause historically, those things tend to suck rear end.

angor posted:

Definitely possible, as mentioned boot into safe mode and remove it and other third party stuff. And/or check for updates for everything if you want to keep the stuff.

Then again it could be a GPU thing for all I know :iiam:. Ever run into any GPU bugs (like random graphic corruption) recently?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

Do you have Gmail w/two factor by any chance? I've seen it a bunch, for me it tends to be when launching Mail and it checks my gmail. It hangs in trying to sign in or something (according to Mail's activity window) and securityd eats up CPU. Canceling the sign in attempt (x in the activity window) fixes it for me, securityd goes back to normal and Mail signs in just fine.
Yeah that's what I meant by two-factor: Gmail's two-factor.

I guess I'm glad that I'm not alone?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Blinkz0rz posted:

Man, Apple makes really nice hardware except the Macbook power bricks are god awful. First off, even when they work perfectly there only thing they have to secure the cable to the brick is that tiny clip which always detaches itself. Second, the tabs securing the plastic wings are really flimsy. I've had my laptop for a few months now and one of the tabs has already popped off. I have to wind the cable very carefully just to make sure the wing doesn't fall out.

What's stupid is that other manufacturers have solved this problem years ago but Apple can't seem to get their act together.

I know a ton of people who have ruined their chargers but I've been using macbooks since early 2008 and I have never once had a problem with a charger. I don't know how a lot of people use them but I think they're pretty nice compared to most PCs that I've used. I will say that they are insanely overpriced which makes it really difficult when they do break/get lost.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

Are there 3rd party power adapters for magsafe Macbooks? They'll need circuitry to do the handshake.
I've purchased at least 40 of these: http://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B005B7M2Q2 for work and have one at home I use with my 2011 13" Air. I've only had two die and those were from a user that made me consider buying third-party adapters in the first place, because she kept destroying $80 adapters.

kode54 posted:

Welp, the Refer-a-Friend system is currently disabled, so I'd be looking at registering without that, and probably paying for larger scale storage.

The SpiderOak topic isn't all that helpful right now, either, since the last post I got after telling them that referrals was broken, was wondering why anyone would still want to use SpiderOak when there's BoxCryptor and 1TB of free OneDrive storage.
BoxCryptor looks super awkward. One of the great things about SpiderOak is that it can sync in place folders from machine to machine (so, no need to move them to a special folder). It also handles network shares very well (my Mac Mini backs up my TimeCapsule and other shares in the house and I've set up users with syncing folders from network drives to their computers). The versioning of backups and compression and deduplication of files is a huge bonus as well. There is a slightly higher cost for it versus other solutions (1TB for $130 / yr), but for what you get it's a worthwhile premium in my opinion.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TACD posted:

When I decided to start doing cloud backups over a year ago I tried the trials of both CrashPlan and BackBlaze, and I went with BackBlaze largely because CrashPlan's app seemed really janky. At the time that felt like kind of a stupid reason but I'm feeling better about it now.

I use Crashplan despite the janky UI because Backblaze has it buried in their fine print that they delete the backups of any of your deleted files after 30 days.

Delete something by accident, go back later and look for it? Whoops, gone forever.

Crashplan, by comparison, keeps *everything*, even old stuff from removed hard drives or whatever.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I have about 50 Mac users running various installations of Yosemite and Mavericks. They're all connecting to a SAN running a program that shares SMB servers to AFP called extreme zip. some of my users that are running Yosemite have started to complain about constant pinwheeling when loading folders on the server.

One thing that I immediately noticed was that the Finder defaults to loading preview thumbnails when in a List View. I disable the setting on my computer and immediately noticed increase in performance. I disabled that setting on the finder of the client computer and they said that they stopped in pinwheeling.

However today rolled around and they said that they are back to experiencing the same pinwheeling issues. at that point I noticed that the show icon preview checkbox was unique to every folder in the directory structure.

I have two questions. First does anybody know if there is a way to prevent network users from modifying the settings that are stored in the Finder preferences for files on a file server? Second is anybody aware of any outstanding issues with Yosemite and extremely slow performance on file servers?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Can't answer your questions, but did you try clicking the "use as defaults" button after disabling icon previews in one folder? That should make that the default setting for all other folders (that don't have their own specific settings set...).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I posted in the Haus of Tech Support, but figured I'd ask here - I replaced a hard drive in a friend's MacBook pro because it wasn't booting and safe mode showed a "unable to repair disc" error. It's still running slow, so I suspect it might be a RAM issue. What is the best way to test RAM on a Mac with a new, non-formatted hard drive? Memtest86 seems to start, but goes straight to a black screen.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

McDeth posted:

Second is anybody aware of any outstanding issues with Yosemite

Oh, a couple. I would bet your problems start with discoveryd. Apple gutted a proven networking application for something brand new in Yosemite and it's been awful - The 10.10.4 beta actually reverts back to mDNSResponder, which worked great in 10.9.5. Hopefully it's permanent

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I posted in the Haus of Tech Support, but figured I'd ask here - I replaced a hard drive in a friend's MacBook pro because it wasn't booting and safe mode showed a "unable to repair disc" error. It's still running slow, so I suspect it might be a RAM issue. What is the best way to test RAM on a Mac with a new, non-formatted hard drive? Memtest86 seems to start, but goes straight to a black screen.

Start the Mac and hold D before the chime sounds. That should start into the diagnostic check.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So there's an app called Waltr that lets you drag and drop .mkv and .flac files from your Mac straight to your iPhone. And it actually works, I played an mkv in the native Videos app. Anyone have an idea what kind of voodoo magic this involves ?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So there's an app called Waltr that lets you drag and drop .mkv and .flac files from your Mac straight to your iPhone. And it actually works, I played an mkv in the native Videos app. Anyone have an idea what kind of voodoo magic this involves ?

Most MKVs just contain a regular MP4 stream in a modern format such as h.264, both of which iOS already handles, so in that case, they can just package the streams in a different container (most likely m4v) on the fly. Similarly, FLAC files get converted to ALAC on the fly. In both cases, the minute data processing required is completely drowned out and hidden by the transfer time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sigma posted:

Start the Mac and hold D before the chime sounds. That should start into the diagnostic check.

This works, but the only diagnostic it checks/fails is the battery. :( I don't see an option for testing memory.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Anyone want to post a WWDC thread?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Not going this year for the first time in forever but was looking for it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Tippis posted:

Most MKVs just contain a regular MP4 stream in a modern format such as h.264, both of which iOS already handles, so in that case, they can just package the streams in a different container (most likely m4v) on the fly. Similarly, FLAC files get converted to ALAC on the fly. In both cases, the minute data processing required is completely drowned out and hidden by the transfer time.

Last time I was traveling I played an mkv file using VLC Player, and I had some other one made by some chinese dude. The problem with the mkv files is you might have one with I think it was the AC3 codec that a lot of players removed from their app due to licensing. Whatever company owned that started going after people. Usually I try and hunt down mp4 instead, or shove the files through handbrake or whatever people use these days that has a preset for it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

How much info does the OP need?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there something like CrystalDiskMark or ATTO for OS X? Not just sequential speed testing but also random?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

JHVH-1 posted:

Last time I was traveling I played an mkv file using VLC Player, and I had some other one made by some chinese dude. The problem with the mkv files is you might have one with I think it was the AC3 codec that a lot of players removed from their app due to licensing. Whatever company owned that started going after people. Usually I try and hunt down mp4 instead, or shove the files through handbrake or whatever people use these days that has a preset for it.

Subler will re-container mkv files to MP4, transcoding the audio if needed but not touching the video. It's way faster than handbrake if that's all that needs to be done.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

carry on then posted:

How much info does the OP need?
Not much. Maybe just mention the keynote date and time. We just need somewhere for people to chat.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there something like CrystalDiskMark or ATTO for OS X? Not just sequential speed testing but also random?
Maybe Speedmark? I think that's the name at least, but it's pricey, I've only ever seen it used by benchmarking/review sites. Only other one I know of that does random is Xbench, it's old as hell and most of the tests are questionable (at best) but the drive tests...seem to work? :iiam:

Not much. Maybe just mention the keynote date and time. We just need somewhere for people to chat.
And this sums up pretty much all the rumors:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/05/wwdc-2015-ios-osx-music-roundup/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Roargasm posted:

Oh, a couple. I would bet your problems start with discoveryd. Apple gutted a proven networking application for something brand new in Yosemite and it's been awful - The 10.10.4 beta actually reverts back to mDNSResponder, which worked great in 10.9.5. Hopefully it's permanent

Oh so that's why I can maintain a connection to the files on my PC for longer than five minutes now without having to relaunch the Finder.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sure, I'll throw one up.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You probably should’ve linked it too.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724606

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sax Parrot typically closes the other Apple threads and links it then so I figured it wasn't necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: WWDC time! :siren: