Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Inadequately posted:

Some monsters have incredibly crappy aim and/or damage capabilities and will fight each other for basically forever without making a scratch. You see it a lot in swamps.

Also from playing around with the debug menu a bit, shoggoths are the ultimate single combatant because almost nothing can do enough damage to take them down before they regenerate. Funnily enough their actual damage capabilities are fairly average/mediocre so a fight between a friendly and hostile one will never end.

This keeps coming up, but their regen is tied to being able to eat things on the ground. Hit them with something that doesn't drop casings/arrows.

Like an A7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Two questions:

1) Is rain water safe to drink? Or will I end up getting poisoned like what happens when I drink from the toilet. I can't believe I just typed that.

2) About how long does the negative mood from killing an innocent person last? Some dumbass walked up to me, right outside my evac shelter, and told me that I was in their territory, and called me a shithead. I may starve to death.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Rain water is safer, by an order of magnitude.

It's still better to boil it up though. All you need is a tin and a fire, it shouldn't be a problem even for the most hard up survivor.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Doesn't the spawn setting effect non-zombies as well?

The text files can be individually modified by spawngroup and monster type. If you want to just remove a single monster form the game, it's pretty trivial. If you just want to make fast zombies super rare, it is (again) trivial.

Also, does no one run into sludge crawlers any more? I built them specifically to be super annoying badasses and no one ever talks about them.

Ah, looking at the monster files, they are limited to rivers and swamps now. That could be the problem, they were supposed to be woods creatures...

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

The text files can be individually modified by spawngroup and monster type. If you want to just remove a single monster form the game, it's pretty trivial. If you just want to make fast zombies super rare, it is (again) trivial.

Also, does no one run into sludge crawlers any more? I built them specifically to be super annoying badasses and no one ever talks about them.

Ah, looking at the monster files, they are limited to rivers and swamps now. That could be the problem, they were supposed to be woods creatures...

Sludge crawlers were my first boss of the game. When I finally killed one without getting moose'd I considered myself taught the game.

I haven seen one since Romero :c

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

StealthArcher posted:

Sludge crawlers were my first boss of the game. When I finally killed one without getting moose'd I considered myself taught the game.

I haven seen one since Romero :c

I should make a PR before the next official version.

Are there any other critters people would like to see more (or less) of?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Were you just pitting monsters against each other or trying to kill things with the 'best' setups?

Could you set off explosives via RPG, collapsing the building on top of them for maximum damage?

Just messing around with monster cagefights. If I met one in-game I'd probably just avoid them since they're not worth the time and effort to kill, plus since they do fairly crappy melee damage you can usually just stun them with a cudgel and stroll away. It was pretty fun walking around with a pet zombie hulk for a bodyguard though.

On a related note I started a new character and ended up in a shelter near a town with a giant beehive, anthill and slime pit in close proximity. I emerged to a massive five-way battle between giant bees, giant ants, blobs, zombies and the local wildlife. That character did not last very long.

Monsters: Probably a personal peeve but I would definitely like to see less fungi. I don't think I've ever seen a couple of the higher-end robots, maybe those should spawn more in military bases in lieu of turrets and such. The wildlife has been really toned down since the earlier versions so I think it's fine, if a little sparse for my taste. Also it seems that creatures from spawn points have way too large a wandering range. I've had an anthill cause problems from over twenty map tiles away which seems a little far.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

GlyphGryph posted:

I think I died to a sludge crawler in August 2013, checked the forum to see what was added in the latest experimental build, read the name "zombear" and quit the game for 18 months.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

nftyw posted:

Also I use 'b' in the crafting menu to craft in batches -- less useful for grinding skill but nice when I want to boil a shitload of water without needing to relight fires three times.

:psyduck:

The local tree ecology thanks you.

Also, I personally quite like spawn points having a long wander distance - it means there are periodic, if minor, threats to your base.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So while going over some recent looting hauls of a few gun-nut basements I took stock of what I have. I have some modest ammo supplies for several nice guns, but then I noticed a pile of 600 7.62mm rounds of some kind. "Awesome!, I'm gonna be blasting a rifle all day with this!"

They're loving Tokarev rounds. :negative:. And of course a Tokarev or PPSh or whatever else uses this stupid round was not amongst my collection.

I suppose I could get around to learning how to disassemble and load my own ammo...

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I got back into the game and actually had a character survive more than a fortnight - in fact she's survived for over a year, having spent most of the winter doing insane and unnatural things to an abandoned semitruck cab she stumbled upon. I'm thinking I should start exploring labs and the like, but gun-wielding enemies are a little bit too tough for me - turrets tend to punch straight through leather-reinforced trenchcoats and the like. I have, however, raised my fabrication, mechanics and so on ridiculously high - so are there recommendations for what sorts of armor I should try and craft? I could go full retard and build a set of full plate, but I'm worried that it'd pretty much neuter her close combat capacity with the 'wearing too much poo poo' penalties.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, if you don't want to craft anything, go find some military wreckage and dig around in it, I've pulled Kevlar vests (close to the skin) and MBR Vests (strapped layer) pretty commonly from them. Plus you might find other interesting toys.

Though that is only torso armor, of course.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, if you don't want to craft anything, go find some military wreckage and dig around in it, I've pulled Kevlar vests (close to the skin) and MBR Vests (strapped layer) pretty commonly from them. Plus you might find other interesting toys.

Though that is only torso armor, of course.

Oh, I've got the skills to craft all sorts of interesting stuff.. but that's a good point, I've found some wreckages that might have cool stuff in them but haven't dug around. Time to make that entrenching tool!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Drake_263 posted:

I got back into the game and actually had a character survive more than a fortnight - in fact she's survived for over a year, having spent most of the winter doing insane and unnatural things to an abandoned semitruck cab she stumbled upon. I'm thinking I should start exploring labs and the like, but gun-wielding enemies are a little bit too tough for me - turrets tend to punch straight through leather-reinforced trenchcoats and the like. I have, however, raised my fabrication, mechanics and so on ridiculously high - so are there recommendations for what sorts of armor I should try and craft? I could go full retard and build a set of full plate, but I'm worried that it'd pretty much neuter her close combat capacity with the 'wearing too much poo poo' penalties.

Heavy survivor gear (armor, gloves, etc.) can straight-up ignore regular lab turrets, although anything that isn't that will be slowly worn away by bullets, so make a note of that. I can't remember the exact skil level needed but at your level it should be no problem. I can still hit things semi-reliably even when encumbered to hell with it, although you should probably bring a ranged weapon because manhacks are common and they are dodgy little buggers. If you're worried about encumbrance you can just bring a set of light gear, wear heavy armor whenever you open a door and swap to it when you're about to bash a zombie's face in.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I should make a PR before the next official version.

Are there any other critters people would like to see more (or less) of?

Hulks, especially Shocker Hulks.

Unrelated:
code:
{
        "type" : "ARMOR",
        "id" : "crocs",
        "name" : "pair of crocs",
        "name_plural" : "pairs of crocs",
        "weight" : 820,
        "color" : "light_blue",
        "covers" : ["FEET"],
        "to_hit" : 0,
        "storage" : 0,
        "symbol" : "[",
        "description" : "Painfully un-stylish, but some choose to rock them regardless.",
        "price" : 15000,
        "material" : ["plastic"],
        "volume" : 5,
        "cutting" : 0,
        "warmth" : 15,
        "phase" : "solid",
        "environmental_protection" : 0,
        "encumbrance" : 0,
        "bashing" : -2,
        "flags" : ["VARSIZE"],
        "coverage" : 75,
        "material_thickness" : 2
    }
I can't get my murder on without rockin' the crocs.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Wales Grey posted:

Hulks, especially Shocker Hulks.
Got it. Game needs more hulks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Don't forget the brute variant first. :v: (Hulks are evolved Brutes, yeah? I dunno my Zombie morphology so well)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Don't forget the brute variant first. :v: (Hulks are evolved Brutes, yeah? I dunno my Zombie morphology so well)

Why have brute hulks when you could have titans?

e: Also I would like to see threshold mutants as enemies. Plant monsters, troglodytes, the works.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

*furiously scribbles notes. Hulks... need more... not big enough...*

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

They had better be able to send cars flying and survive building collapses when you're done. :colbert:

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

3 turns in to a new run. 3 turns.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

At least you aren't losing much? I mean, besides your life.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
Spitter brutes that spit after smacking you through a bookshelf. Smokers with the poisonous gas that bloated zombies have. Burning zombies that start a small fire on their tile when they die.

Zombear steeds for the shocker hulks.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

At least you aren't losing much? I mean, besides your life.

Mostly I'm curious how it could have attacked me. It actually didn't kill me (yet, but i'm well on my way) and I severely injured it. I could have killed it probably but I wasn't fast enough to catch it, and I kept going blind/maybe unconscious?

Also there's a Shimmering Portal right outside the southern door to my shelter. I don't know what it does but things keep popping out and disappearing. And they're following me, far away from the portal. Oh my god are these hallucinations? They can damage me, I think, but when I hit them, they disappear. Annnnd dead. I may have been killed trying to climb through a window.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Real hallucinations can't actually hurt you, which is why if you suspect for any reason you are hallucinating that you should actually stay put instead of trying to go anywhere you haven't cleared out. Otherwise you'll inevitably have real monsters intermingling with the hallucinations and not be able to tell how many of them are real. There's also usually a notice that you're hallucinating in @ so you should not have issues with that even if you take schizophrenia.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
How the balls do i find a safe space to sleep in a world with hordes on?

They just inexorably seem to show up no matter what kind of distances i travel.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Got it. Game needs more hulks.

I was kind of annoyed about them being super robust until I robusted one in the face with a ram-fitted motorcycle.

GlyphGryph posted:

Instead of zombie mega-hulks, just put full-scale kaiju in. Unless you implement a Megasmith-style "giant zombie made of zombies".

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I was going to say, I'd love to see a monstrously hellish fuckhuge enemy that moves a little slow, but is extremely perceptive, loud, aggressive, and easy as hell to see coming. And horrifically strong and tough, of course. They'd need to be quite rare, but it would be pretty cool to occasionally run across a Zombie Titan that essentially constitutes an ungodly hazardous boss battle, especially in the rare case that you end up dragging it back to your hideout and have to loop around and lure it away or just stand your ground and pray you can take it.

If you're feeling particularly sassy, let them throw things. Really big heavy things. Things they can acquire by ripping them off of nearby vehicles or buildings. :unsmigghh:

quote:

The Zombie Titan rips the 6.93-Liter V8 engine out of the Wreckage!
From the southeast you hear screaming metal!
The Zombie Titan throws the 6.93-Liter V8 engine!
The Zombie Titan misses you.
From the northwest you hear CRAAAASH!
The roof collapses!
From the northwest you hear breaking glass!
The Zombie Titan rips the heavy frame out of the Wreckage!
From the southeast you hear screaming metal!
You break into a run.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Illegal Username posted:

How the balls do i find a safe space to sleep in a world with hordes on?

They just inexorably seem to show up no matter what kind of distances i travel.

I'm not 100%, but I think hordes are just broken and 1000 zombies will follow you forever. I tried them once, couldn't move without tripping over a zombie hulk and haven't touched them since.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
Maybe give zombie necromancers an overhaul. They don't seem very threatening as they are now, but if they came with a "thrall" or whatever and caused all nearby corpses to slowly crawl towards their thrall and integrate with it that would be pretty metal. Could fill the role of the supermassive gently caress-off zombie with the add wrinkle of "You could have prevented this".

Edit: Add in a guaranteed necromancer spawn in super stores. :unsmigghh:

Admiral Funk fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 5, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I definitely will consider bigger zombies a failure if deathmobiles cannot be stopped dead in their tracks by running into them. Even a non-kaiju bigger zombie should be able to, say, smash a vehicle that can splat normal zombies all day going 100 mph dead with appropriate crumpling of car and survivor really.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Foodahn posted:

Two questions:

1) Is rain water safe to drink? Or will I end up getting poisoned like what happens when I drink from the toilet. I can't believe I just typed that.

Great then my most successful character so far is going to get sick, sounds like. I was assuming they were drinking out of the tank of the toilet, which realistically should be as clean as ordinary tap water.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Hypothetically if the apocalypse had just happened. More likely is that the water has been sitting in that tank for however long public utilities had stopped working.

Don't drink the toilet water geez what are you a mutant? Get crippingly drunk instead! At least you know that's safe!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Make a big, beefy Mutazombie. Whenever it attacks it has a chance to mutate you instead of (in addition to?) infecting you, and every X turns it mutates itself randomly.

Or maybe instead of mutating with its melee attack, it can have a special attack that has it stand still for a few turns before mutating everything that's still in range, including itself and other nearby zombies.

I don't know if it would be cooler for it to give zombies positive mutations so you want to kill it ASAP, or negative mutations so you have a tradeoff between weakening the horde next to him in exchange for a few extra tentacles of your own.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Okay, so, the original question was about what monster you want to see more of that is already in the game.

I'm not actually gonna be adding new monsters, and if I do Rusteaters are already next anyway.

But you guys do know you can make prs with your own monsters or even just provide them here for people to add to their game without any code added at all, right?

Hell, you know what, give me full definitions of new monsters, and where you want them to spawn, and maybe I'll make a goon enemy type expansion pr.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

GlyphGryph posted:

Okay, so, the original question was about what monster you want to see more of that is already in the game.

I'm not actually gonna be adding new monsters, and if I do Rusteaters are already next anyway.

But you guys do know you can make prs with your own monsters or even just provide them here for people to add to their game without any code added at all, right?

Hell, you know what, give me full definitions of new monsters, and where you want them to spawn, and maybe I'll make a goon enemy type expansion pr.

I'd like to see more fungus zombies actually. You'll see hundreds of fungaloids for miles from a fungus patch but you'd be lucky to see more than three fungus zombies deep inside a patch. A master zombie can already alter existing zombie types so maybe add a random chance for fungaloids to convert zombies during combat? I just feel they're an underused enemy type, by the time you're exploring anywhere near their spawn environment you're already likely to be totally immune to spores anyway.

Heck I'd like to see more aggressive fungus in general, let it bloom in the midst of a town occasionally.

For a new monster type how about a fully fledged mycus mutant tending it's grove? Like a survivor zombie with gear plus mycus mutations.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

Well.. This is a pickle.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I have discovered a Fungal Bloom north of the small town I'm currently looting. I remember those being pretty bad news when I played a few years ago, so I should probably try to destroy it. Time to make some molotovs! Good thing I got a gasmask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Are flu shots permanent immunizations to the flu?