Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The dialog in the game is pretty great overall. "More like the Crimson rear end in a top hat" is king for me so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Wiseblood posted:

That doesn't seem intended since it basically makes it impossible to create greater mutagens because you need to make 3 regular mutagens first.
Yeah I realised that after I stepped away from the keyboard. You may still be able to make the greater mutagens by dropping each regular one on the ground after you make it and picking it back up. I recall dropping creature-specific mutagens on the ground before.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I have an ssd :(. I'm scared that all the pop in is actually an "optimization" so that the game doesn't have to load too many things at the same time.

There's not a lot of popin for me. Turn up your draw distance options in the game.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Drifter posted:

There's not a lot of popin for me. Turn up your draw distance options in the game.

I'll try to mess with settings when i get home, but I've been playing with everything on ultra besides water and shadows.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'll try to mess with settings when i get home, but I've been playing with everything on ultra besides water and shadows.

Could you just be trying to push too much on your graphics card? Try setting some things to high instead of ultra when you set your draw distance to its maximum, maybe; it might make it run a little more smoothly.

I'm not a computerologist though, so it may not have any effect.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So what would people like to see in an enhanced edition?

Some of my thoughts.

More reactivity from major characters regarding story events, and ability to discuss with these characters about the events. Example.

Cardinal Sin spoilerI find it a bit baffling after Cardinal Sins you can't ask Dandelion how Priscilla is doing, or he doesn't mention it

More reactivity from townspeople in general. In some instances it's fantastic, but in others it's lacking. Example

Reason of State Spoiler Killing Radovid and the townspeople acting like nothing happened

Also, ending illustrations for more characters and factions

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright I'm about 7-8 hours into this game, and I like it a lot.

I'm impressed with my actions affecting other things. At the inn at the Crossroads, I let the rear end in a top hat soldiers do their thing. The innkeep thanked me for not going ham. I walk outside and some other soldier (named 'Bandit' mind you) is shaking some villager down talking about kidnapping his daughter and having the whole unit rape her.

So I killed him. Then I killed all his buddies who took exception to that. I went on my way. Now other soldiers in that faction are butthurt (and afraid) because I slaughtered their dudes at the Crossroads. Good. Fear my name assholes.

The one thing that is kind of niggling though: are there any non-white NPCs in this game or is it literally just all white people?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

The one thing that is kind of niggling though: are there any non-white NPCs in this game or is it literally just all white people?

All white folks in the game which is a little unfortunate.

(But the game overall is still a blast)

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

"Pam pa rammmmm. Pam Pam pa rammmmm!" Does anyone else think that the characters that sing that sound like Otto from the Simpsons?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Alright I'm about 7-8 hours into this game, and I like it a lot.

I'm impressed with my actions affecting other things. At the inn at the Crossroads, I let the rear end in a top hat soldiers do their thing. The innkeep thanked me for not going ham. I walk outside and some other soldier (named 'Bandit' mind you) is shaking some villager down talking about kidnapping his daughter and having the whole unit rape her.

So I killed him. Then I killed all his buddies who took exception to that. I went on my way. Now other soldiers in that faction are butthurt (and afraid) because I slaughtered their dudes at the Crossroads. Good. Fear my name assholes.

I envy you, this is one of those great games where everyone in the thread will be waiting to hear your reactions to the main quests you're working on in Velen, because those chains are amazing.

Yeah, all whities in this game. If you're not familiar with the Witcher setting, non-humans (elves, dwarves, halflings etc) are the persecuted minorities. The first two Witcher games dealt with racial conflict a lot more, but for example you'll notice most of the elves live in their own ghetto outside the city of Novigrad and they're treated as second class citizens at best, slaves at worst.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I don't know what it says about me, but I didn't notice the all-whiteness until it was pointed out in this thread.

Follow up on the "what quests can I not do after Isle of Mists" question: will these quests auto-fail as soon as I venture in? I think I've done everything that might not be doable after the endgame, but I want to make sure.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Isle of Mists isn't quite the endgame. Most side quests and contracts (all?) will be available afterwards, and a few even open up after.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CVagts posted:

I don't know what it says about me, but I didn't notice the all-whiteness until it was pointed out in this thread.

Follow up on the "what quests can I not do after Isle of Mists" question: will these quests auto-fail as soon as I venture in? I think I've done everything that might not be doable after the endgame, but I want to make sure.

Probably just that you're white and not thinking about it more than you're an evil racist.

Pellisworth posted:

I envy you, this is one of those great games where everyone in the thread will be waiting to hear your reactions to the main quests you're working on in Velen, because those chains are amazing.

Yeah, all whities in this game. If you're not familiar with the Witcher setting, non-humans (elves, dwarves, halflings etc) are the persecuted minorities. The first two Witcher games dealt with racial conflict a lot more, but for example you'll notice most of the elves live in their own ghetto outside the city of Novigrad and they're treated as second class citizens at best, slaves at worst.

I played the first couple a while ago. I just didn't think about it until I saw a fairly Middle Eastern name on a pasty white dude. Not a big deal to me really, just would have been nice to see more of a spectrum.

Just met the Baron's daughter and her super religious zealot dude. I don't think me and him are going to get along very well.

Also I'm usually a super nice guy always refusing quest rewards and poo poo in these games but I kind of like being paid to kill monsters and haggling over my price and just being neutral for the most part. At the end sometimes I feel like they could use the money more than I could but hey that new silver sword has to get paid for somehow. If you're being over the top (like that raper soldier dude) I'll gladly gut you but I'm not trying to be a SJW paladin type for the first time in an open world game which is fairly rare for my first playthrough. Plus I'm trying to go see Yennefer (i barely knew her) again at some point and she told me to be careful :3:

Granted I'm still kind of near the beginning of the game but I feel like money isn't easy to come by without it being so hard that it is impossible to gear up. It's a pretty good sweet spot in terms of economy difficulty. Although I did figure out I can just grind Gwent on some easy players for 10 gold over and over last night.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 5, 2015

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

isk posted:

Isle of Mists isn't quite the endgame. Most side quests and contracts (all?) will be available afterwards, and a few even open up after.

Good to know. The only sidequests I have in my log are contracts and a few secondaries (collect all gwent cards which I'm not sure I'll do, investigate some tower, stuff like that).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Isle of Mist is in act 2

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Just in case some are wondering, there are 268 quests in the game, according to the guide.

So look at your log and that will give you an idea how many more quests are still out there.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

theblackw0lf posted:

Just in case some are wondering, there are 268 quests in the game, according to the guide.

So look at your log and that will give you an idea how many more quests are still out there.

Good god. I mean, some of those are pretty short little things like "lady gets harassed by bandits" in novigrad, I'm sure but that is some content.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Levantine posted:

Good god. I mean, some of those are pretty short little things like "lady gets harassed by bandits" in novigrad, I'm sure but that is some content.

Yeah, I just knocked out a half dozen quests which were literally "pick up note, New Quest!, Use Witcher Senses to see the trunk 20 steps to the east, collect loot, Quest Complete!"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
yeah I guess that counts hidden treasure "quests"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man sirens are annoying as gently caress, they are hyper-aggressive and spawn out of nowhere, if I wasn't playing on Easy and they did so little damage they'd be unbearable.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 5, 2015

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Make sure to revisit some merchants because the latest patch adjusted some of their inventory. I just found a diagram for Lesser Runestones on a random blacksmith in Novigrad.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there any point in haggling besides roleplay? I can't think of anywhere a couple dozen extra coins would be a big advantage.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there any point in haggling besides roleplay? I can't think of anywhere a couple dozen extra coins would be a big advantage.

Is there no skill associated with it or anything? I usually barely get 10-15 extra coins on a 300 gold payment but I keep thinking maybe I'll get better at bartering at some point.

Anyway those extra coins = another game of Gwent!

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Moridin920 posted:

You only need extra coins for Gwent if you lose. :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Man sirens are annoying as gently caress, they are hyper-aggressive and spawn out of nowhere, if I wasn't playing on Easy and they did so little damage they'd be unbearable.

One thing that makes sirens (and by extension harpies as well) much quicker is parrying their swoops like you would a human opponent's attack. If you time it right, Geralt will step aside and land a hit that causes them to crash to the ground right in front of you, where you can often just directly finish them off with one attack.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Is there no skill associated with it or anything? I usually barely get 10-15 extra coins on a 300 gold payment but I keep thinking maybe I'll get better at bartering at some point.

Yeah mate I'm sure I totally couldn't afford the 10 crowns otherwise.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, if you're haggling because you really really need the coin then something seems to have gone terribly wrong with your spending habits.

It just seems so...tacked on. There's not even a trophy or anything attached to it and those things tend to be petty as hell.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It may have been in my head, but I felt like Geralt got better at haggling the more contracts I did. There were definitely some near the end where I moved the bar halfway or three quarters up and the person accepted immediately, which seems like it would have been unheard of for the first few. It's definitely of no importance whatsoever but one does wonder. :iiam:

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
The economy in the game just seems completely broken as it is, there's very little point to worrying about monetary rewards when you're absolutely swimming in crowns. I did particularly like the bit when the emperor gives you the payment and suggests it's a life-changing amount of money, when I had twenty times that already sitting in my purse.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've heard that the haggling result is random and if you save before you talk to the person, you could just reload until they accept the highest amount possible. No idea if it's true though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Suck it Jenny of the Woods! I finally killed her. I swear, the wraith enemies are the hardest drat ones for me to kill. They don't burn, which is my normal way of killing, so my damage is low. They split and do that health drain, so my often low damage is being healed up. Finally managed to power through her, with improved thunderbolt potion and wraith oil, using the quen shield to heal myself.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Suck it Jenny of the Woods! I finally killed her. I swear, the wraith enemies are the hardest drat ones for me to kill. They don't burn, which is my normal way of killing, so my damage is low. They split and do that health drain, so my often low damage is being healed up. Finally managed to power through her, with improved thunderbolt potion and wraith oil, using the quen shield to heal myself.

Next time you have to fight a nightwraith, try shooting the copies with the crossbow while staying far away. They won't be able to suck your health and they only take one shot to kill.
The constantly spawning wraiths are definitely annoying, getting Yrden intensity up is great for that.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Jenny is by far the hardest/most annoying contract I've done and I'm pretty far along. None of the other wraith contracts come even close.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I think my sword is bugged.

I have a 12% stun chance, and with oils, an 18% poison chance.

In a fight against an earth elemental, I never poisoned him at all. But I stunned him on 120 consecutive attacks.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Some enemies are immune to certain effects. A mound of animated dirt is difficult to poison.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

If you don't have moon dust I highly recommend making some. I was worried fighting Jenny in my Death March run because I had such a hard time on my first playthrough but I tried moon dust and I totally wrecked her.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

yeah I guess that counts hidden treasure "quests"

I just counted.

There are 89 main quests (including secondary quests that fit with the main quest)

118 Side quests (not including secondary quests mentioned above)

26 Witcher Contracts

7 Gwent Quests

7 Treasure Hunts

11 Races and Fits of Fury quests

None of that counts for the hidden treasure or other points of interest quests

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
The attention to details in this game is so good. There was a certain quest that made me think CDPR messed up with NPC models , but nope the " mistake " was actually a very big hint to that quest resolution .

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Only 7 treasure hunts? Where are you getting that from, as there are 12 from just the Witcher gear ones alone? Not to mention all the random hidden treasure ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

theblackw0lf posted:

I just counted.

There are 89 main quests (including secondary quests that fit with the main quest)

118 Side quests (not including secondary quests mentioned above)

26 Witcher Contracts

7 Gwent Quests

7 Treasure Hunts

11 Races and Fits of Fury quests

None of that counts for the hidden treasure or other points of interest quests

Holy crap, that's nuts - not sure where the treasure number comes from, but 118 side quests and 89 main quests is crazy. Obviously they hugely vary in scope but drat.