Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

You're not going to add additional detail to the environments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Nition posted:

I've made a trailer for my game release. Could I maybe get some critique on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXWAm9LanDg

Edit: Updated the video a bit.

Needs a few very minor edits to the music and alignment of things but that's basically it.

Some things I'm not sure about :
- Does it take too long to get to the "good stuff"? Maybe the sort of 'story section' before the first title would be better left out.
- Does the 'Design', 'Fight' etc text look too amateurish?
- It shows the basic gameplay but doesn't go into more detail, e.g. LAN/Internet/Singleplayer, parts are all functional. But it felt like too much to fit in.

Other input welcome also. It's not publicly listed yet.

Looks great! The music works for me. It's a bit disappointing how the enemies disappear in a puff of smoke but the game looks like a lot of fun based on the video.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tann posted:

Looks great! The music works for me. It's a bit disappointing how the enemies disappear in a puff of smoke but the game looks like a lot of fun based on the video.

Yeah, the video is great, but the car deaths look very underwhelming. But it's also clear that it's early access so I didn't mind too much.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nition posted:

I've made a trailer for my game release. Could I maybe get some critique on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXWAm9LanDg

Edit: Updated the video a bit.

Needs a few very minor edits to the music and alignment of things but that's basically it.

Some things I'm not sure about :
- Does it take too long to get to the "good stuff"? Maybe the sort of 'story section' before the first title would be better left out.
- Does the 'Design', 'Fight' etc text look too amateurish?
- It shows the basic gameplay but doesn't go into more detail, e.g. LAN/Internet/Singleplayer, parts are all functional. But it felt like too much to fit in.

Other input welcome also. It's not publicly listed yet.

I think it's a great video - although I feel like it should open with a very quick shot of the build screen, showing that first car being assembled. The whole "build your own death machine!" is the primary mechanic of the game so it should really be the first thing people see. It's a minor point though and I think it still works as-is.

I'd agree with the poster above that the actual action in the trailer feels a bit low-impact. It might help if remixed the volume of the game effect to be louder relative to the music, or you could just dub over the current in-game weapon sounds with something specifically for the trailer, to give more "boom" to the cannons and such. Yeah it's not an accurate reflection of the game, but it's EA so things are likely going to change a bunch between the trailer and release anyway, so barely anything in the trailer is really going to be "accurate" at that point. I also agree with the posts above that the car deaths are a bit underwhelming - you might have already considered this but it would be really cool if when a car was destroyed it would actually break off the components used to build the car and fling them away as physics objects. It would give them less of a "puffed out of existence" look and more of a "blown to pieces" look. And everybody loves physics debris.

I think the demonstration of the gameplay itself is adequate - it looks like a multiplayer game so you don't really need to specifically point out that it is one.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Am I correct that the standard way to structure an animation state machine for something super-contextual like brawling is to have a bunch of Any State>myState subtrees for flinching, blocking, ragdoll, and so forth, set the initial state with a bool for each possible action, then leave it to the subtree to figure out the player's exact situation and apply the desired effect?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Who bothers to make games when you can make more tools

I found its easier to build levels with just normal cubes and you can hop between rendering it as a marching cube mesh to check it and back to cubes.

There's a little zfighting around some of the mesh chunks because of the wonky way I'm figuring out chunk islands when rendered as a mc mesh. I end up with some faces being rendered on two chunks because I need to give a little wiggle room for the crossing point for the empty space around voxels. Right now I've got some dumb brute force methods for resolving that but there's probably a smarter way to handle it.

I didn't intend to make a runtime level editor but I couldn't get it to work right in the editor so runtime it goes.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
It's not midnight where I am yet so it's still not too late for a daily meghermahnz update!

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007
Do game dev programming jobs in general come anywhere close to typical market software developer/web applications developer style work in terms of salary and benefits these days? I know that traditionally hasn't really been the case. If not in general, are there any specific criteria which starts to land them closer to the normal industry salary range? I kind of want to hear numbers comparisons, but glassdoor's national average for software developers of around 85k is a good point of reference.

Been doing the whole small business C# developer thing for about 5 years now and the pay is pretty great but the goals of the company are SUPER uninteresting. I'd rather try to swap to something I know would have interesting goals, like game dev, than to another generic industry job. Never easy to justify a substantial pay decrease, though.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Those are actually some really good looking rope physics, Forer.

I updated my Scraps trailer again, taking more of your suggestions into account. Now it has:

• A short clip of building the vehicle at the start. Ideally it should be a little longer, but if it's any longer it breaks the timing/flow of things.
  • Additional & louder game sounds behind the music.
  • An extra gag clip at the very end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIxBaDRDk4Y

And yeah, the maps are a bit bland and the vehicles just disappearing with an explosion when fully destroyed is a bit lame, but I've already been working on this game way to long - at some point I have to just release it! The actual gameplay is solid and it's plenty of fun.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cholfo posted:

Do game dev programming jobs in general come anywhere close to typical market software developer/web applications developer style work in terms of salary and benefits these days? I know that traditionally hasn't really been the case. If not in general, are there any specific criteria which starts to land them closer to the normal industry salary range? I kind of want to hear numbers comparisons, but glassdoor's national average for software developers of around 85k is a good point of reference.

Been doing the whole small business C# developer thing for about 5 years now and the pay is pretty great but the goals of the company are SUPER uninteresting. I'd rather try to swap to something I know would have interesting goals, like game dev, than to another generic industry job. Never easy to justify a substantial pay decrease, though.

The short answer is going to be "no, as a programmer you can always make more money outside of games". The longer answer is here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/221533/Game_Developer_Salary_Survey_2014_The_results_are_in.php

Check the pdf. That's the closest thing we have to a regular record of wages and the state of employment in the industry. It's a fairly small sample size and it's skewed due to expensive cost of living hubs, but there you go.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Nition posted:

I updated my Scraps trailer again, taking more of your suggestions into account. Now it has:

• A short clip of building the vehicle at the start. Ideally it should be a little longer, but if it's any longer it breaks the timing/flow of things.

And yeah, the maps are a bit bland and the vehicles just disappearing with an explosion when fully destroyed is a bit lame, but I've already been working on this game way to long - at some point I have to just release it! The actual gameplay is solid and it's plenty of fun.

Its looking great man. But as has already been said, the maps look a bit bland. Is it something you'll work on once in Early Access? Even some white stone oblesk looking obstacles would break it up a bit.

In saying that. Very much looking forward to playing it!

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I guess I'm a little too much influenced by the sparse Interstate '76 map design:

But that was 1997. Still, I don't want to add so much stuff that it gets in the way of driving around - It sucks to hit like a random cactus in the middle of the map or whatever when you're aiming behind you. But the maps could look way better and still have plenty of space to move around for sure. I was kind of planning to focus on adding more maps rather than improving existing ones, but I'm not against doing an improvement pass on the existing ones. They probably do need it. Just always a finite amount of time and plenty of different things to work on.

Nition fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 6, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nition posted:

I guess I'm a little too much influenced by the sparse Interstate '76 map design:

But that was 1997. Still, I don't want to add so much stuff that it gets in the way of driving around - It sucks to hit like a random cactus in the middle of the map or whatever when you're aiming behind you. But the maps could look way better and still have plenty of space to move around for sure. I was kind of planning to focus on adding more maps rather than improving existing ones, but I'm not against doing an improvement pass on the existing ones. They probably do need it. Just always a finite amount of time and plenty of different things to work on.

With stuff like random foliage, you could still include it and just make it something that gets smashed if a player drives through it - it would still add to the visual variety without the frustration of suddenly coming to a dead stop because you hit an obstacle.

There's also ground level details you could add, like ruins of a road snaking through the map or something along those lines. With map details it's not just a visual variety thing; it can also help players to orient themselves and get a better feeling for their positioning in the map. Even if you've got a minimap or some other UI cue that helps them do that, having stuff in the environment makes it more of an unconscious thing and allows them to figure out where they are without taking their attention away from the main action.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nition posted:

I've noticed the i79 influence since your first video. It's awesome as that was one of my favorite games back then.

But yeah, in 1997 is was more due to technical limitations rather then anything else. Even things as suggested above, bushes thay break when hit or things can help massively. Even a platforms to fight over would help a whole lot.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

mutata posted:

The short answer is going to be "no, as a programmer you can always make more money outside of games". The longer answer is here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/221533/Game_Developer_Salary_Survey_2014_The_results_are_in.php

Check the pdf. That's the closest thing we have to a regular record of wages and the state of employment in the industry. It's a fairly small sample size and it's skewed due to expensive cost of living hubs, but there you go.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nition posted:

Dude, ship it. The trailer's great now, and that final gag clip was fantastic. Are there things you could improve? Absolutely, and I hope you do get a chance to jazz up the terrain a bit. But sometimes you just have to push that big red button before you're 100% ready!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nition posted:

You could take a page from Mad Max and let people add some cosmetic elements to their cars to make them look cooler. Like flags, spikes, skulls, guitarists with flamethrowers....

Weapon sounds/effects also feel a little anemic, maybe you could do something to enhance their feel?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 6, 2015

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Nition: How does Scraps handle the edge of the terrain? I'm always curious how best to do this. (Sorry for the boring question, trailer looks excellent btw.)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

With stuff like random foliage, you could still include it and just make it something that gets smashed if a player drives through it - it would still add to the visual variety without the frustration of suddenly coming to a dead stop because you hit an obstacle.

There's also ground level details you could add, like ruins of a road snaking through the map or something along those lines. With map details it's not just a visual variety thing; it can also help players to orient themselves and get a better feeling for their positioning in the map. Even if you've got a minimap or some other UI cue that helps them do that, having stuff in the environment makes it more of an unconscious thing and allows them to figure out where they are without taking their attention away from the main action.
Yup. I can't remember how to do it in Unity, but set up fracture meshes that are physically active, but don't block the players at all. Also make sure that they explode based purely on triggers, to avoid that single-frame "I hit the X that split second before it exploded" thing we had in JoF. That and some foliage stuff (use a toroidal buffer and spool it in/out of memory around the camera because of how heavy to render it is otherwise), and you're set.

... and if you want to make a proper nod to I-76, in the options menu, add an "I-76" mode that just disables foliage and breakables entirely, since they don't affect gameplay anyways. :haw:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Shalinor posted:

... and if you want to make a proper nod to I-76, in the options menu, add an "I-76" mode that just disables foliage and breakables entirely, since they don't affect gameplay anyways. :haw:

Down for this if it also replaces terrain textures with lower-res versions

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Down for this if it also replaces terrain textures with lower-res versions

God yes. And every car has an afro.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Yeah definitely spruce up the terrain a bit with some foliage/cacti/cactuses/tumbleweed that insta-explodes on contact, and some of those ruined highways peeking through the sand (where neither can obstruct cars), but what I really wanted to say was:

your poo poo is rad

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Screenshot saturday weeee! We've been working on multiplayer recently, its coming along quite well!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I have no idea whether that's deliberate or not, I honestly cannot tell, but if your goal was to have it look like people poo poo each other to death in your game, congrats.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

wayfinder posted:

I have no idea whether that's deliberate or not, I honestly cannot tell, but if your goal was to have it look like people poo poo each other to death in your game, congrats.

The poop doesn't do any damage, but it does give you a stinky debuff.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I tried making a game, but just reached the limit of something in the free version of Construct 2. Is there a similar software one of you can recommend?
Stencyl is to slow because of all the drag-and-drop. I tried Unity, but I only have little knowledge about coding and "everything" has to be a script so that was slowing even simple things down. But I loved Construct 2 because of all the keyboard shortcuts.

Anything else out there? Or should I just go for Unity and learn to figure it out? Although it feels like "overkill" for what i want to do. I just need 2D things path finding stuff and interact with other 2D things!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

RabbitWizard posted:

I tried making a game, but just reached the limit of something in the free version of Construct 2. Is there a similar software one of you can recommend?
Stencyl is to slow because of all the drag-and-drop. I tried Unity, but I only have little knowledge about coding and "everything" has to be a script so that was slowing even simple things down. But I loved Construct 2 because of all the keyboard shortcuts.

Anything else out there? Or should I just go for Unity and learn to figure it out? Although it feels like "overkill" for what i want to do. I just need 2D things path finding stuff and interact with other 2D things!

Gamemaker?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Thanks for all the (positive and negative) input about Scraps. :)
And OK OK, I will make the maps look better - after release. Good point about visual cues.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Nition: How does Scraps handle the edge of the terrain? I'm always curious how best to do this. (Sorry for the boring question, trailer looks excellent btw.)

I have a section of a huge wall with colliders, and a script that automatically places it a bunch of times to match the terrain around the map. Then I combine all the sections into one big mesh (actually I should make that an automatic part of the script...).

Behind the wall is another collider that goes higher - six colliders form a box around the map that goes 5km up. So you can't actually get past the walls, which is a little boring.

Edit: The walls are a little bit in from the very edge of the map. I try to put hills and things around the edge so you can't normally see it.

Nition fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 6, 2015

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Fangz posted:

Gamemaker?

Thanks, trying it out right now. Seems promising. I'll report back.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RabbitWizard posted:

Unity with Playmaker is very similar to Construct 2, but it's hard to "give it a try" since Playmaker's usually in the $90 range unless it's on sale. I really wanted to keep using Construct 2, but Google is just dropping the loving ball on HTML5 support, and it no longer seemed viable to keep plugging away with it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm starting to work on environment design, and I'm planning on restricting the game to a pretty small area (essentially 3-4 city blocks)- what are some games that accomplished small, high-detail areas well? I know the MG5 tech demo did, but most sandbox games seem to rely on wide-open spaces with limited content instead of tiny, densely detailed worlds.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nition posted:

Thanks for all the (positive and negative) input about Scraps. :)
And OK OK, I will make the maps look better - after release. Good point about visual cues.

I have a section of a huge wall with colliders, and a script that automatically places it a bunch of times to match the terrain around the map. Then I combine all the sections into one big mesh (actually I should make that an automatic part of the script...).

Behind the wall is another collider that goes higher - six colliders form a box around the map that goes 5km up. So you can't actually get past the walls, which is a little boring.

Edit: The walls are a little bit in from the very edge of the map. I try to put hills and things around the edge so you can't normally see it.

Even putting some objects, pillars, platforms and ramps in the same style of your map borders would make a massive change and still keep with the style if you're not to keen to do something dramatic.

Also, just curious, are you going for any game modes? A King of the Hill mode looks like it would be an absolute blast in Scraps.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm starting to work on environment design, and I'm planning on restricting the game to a pretty small area (essentially 3-4 city blocks)- what are some games that accomplished small, high-detail areas well? I know the MG5 tech demo did, but most sandbox games seem to rely on wide-open spaces with limited content instead of tiny, densely detailed worlds.

Persona? Well, the real world parts of it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Fangz posted:

Persona? Well, the real world parts of it.

I've actually been playing through Persona 4 lately- it informs a lot of things in my design (it convinced me to shift from a literal 24-hour clock to a vague circular "Here's where the day/night cycle is at"), and it hits the exact balance of time management I want (thought without pressure), but I'm actually finding that the real world is an example of how not to do it- once I know its layout, navigating the town isn't fun- I make liberal use of the fast travel system, because in most cases my thinking isn't "Let's go to the flood plain and see what's happening," it's "Okay, I need to visit the velvet room, the armor store, and the school roof before evening, how do I do all three with the fewest loading screens and travel time possible?"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RabbitWizard posted:

Thanks, trying it out right now. Seems promising. I'll report back.

I'm almost done working through Tom Francis' (Gunpoint, Heat Signature) GameMaker tutorial series and he's pretty good at it. That's what I recommend you check out. There are also other GameMaker tutorials on Youtube that have been recommended to me but I haven't tried any of them yet, so if you search for them, you'll know as much about them as me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I've actually been playing through Persona 4 lately- it informs a lot of things in my design (it convinced me to shift from a literal 24-hour clock to a vague circular "Here's where the day/night cycle is at"), and it hits the exact balance of time management I want (thought without pressure), but I'm actually finding that the real world is an example of how not to do it- once I know its layout, navigating the town isn't fun- I make liberal use of the fast travel system, because in most cases my thinking isn't "Let's go to the flood plain and see what's happening," it's "Okay, I need to visit the velvet room, the armor store, and the school roof before evening, how do I do all three with the fewest loading screens and travel time possible?"

I just beat Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishments a couple of weeks ago and although the environments were nice, I found myself thinking I would have preferred that the game used the Phoenix Wright screens instead, for speed.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Megazver posted:

I just beat Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishments a couple of weeks ago and although the environments were nice, I found myself thinking I would have preferred that the game used the Phoenix Wright screens instead, for speed.

I just finished playing the same, and I agree- for me the most fun part of the sherlock holmes cases was the brain/neuron screen (I forget the name) in the last 25% of a case, when you had *most* of the clues, and could start forming opinions about who was right, but you didn't have enough information to jump to the final conclusion.

It's making me wonder if for mine, the investigation shouldn't be more gameplay-focused ("We know the culprit is taller than 5'9" and has red hair, let's see if we can find anyone suspicious"), and use the investigations as a hassle-free way of informing that gameplay.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Nition posted:

Here are a couple ideas:

• Add blimps, either stationary or flying around slowly over the map. Give them flashy advertising stuff for fake companies (or for your own things). Like advertising in demolition derbies and whatnot. It will help give players something to look at without affecting where they can drive. Maybe an airplane with one of those very long banners with a message on it that flies around slowly and flaps in the wind.
  • Add small objects to detail the map such that there are no hitboxes that players can crash into: a small cactus, a small animal skeleton, some patches of grass, a little shallow oasis, et cetera. This will help fix what you were talking about in your post that I quoted above.

I would recommend going in the direction of a Demolition Derby Arena thing, like the Arena mode in Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries. Play a buzzer when someone is killed or removed from the fight. Have a Voice Actor act as the commentator for the match giving the play-by-play, et cetera. Relevant Youtube Link for context

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 7, 2015

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
So, i tried GameMaker for a while and it's way to heavy on code. And the interface is terrible. I made my Background, room, player and set up a script for the camera, everything was fine. Then I tried to recreate the pathfinding I had in Construct and now I'm done. All in all I think i spend 3-4 hours in it.

It's either buttons which don't do enough or code which does everything but I have to fiddle with it for a long time. And if I have to deal with that, I'd rather go back to Unity I think. Stupid Construct guys with their stupid licensing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Construct 2 tends to go on sale for 30-50% off a couple of times a year. The Steam Summer Sale starts in a few days, maybe they'll take part again?