Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

God drat just get on the train already :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm pretty sure Baam is going to tear the train apart as soon as they escape into it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its been a while since we've seen crazy baam so its good

It was Daniel who got smashed into the ground?

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 19, 2015

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Avulsion posted:

Heroin = Heroine?

Hey they fixed it!

That panel used to say, "Now, shall I take our heroin?"

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Jose posted:

Its been a while since we've seen crazy baam so its good

It was Daniel who got smashed into the ground?

Yup.

This was such a satisfying chapter though. I hope it doesn't just get defused next chapter.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!
Well it's about time Baam started crushing fools again. The past few arcs he has been pushed around and manipulated but now he can just charge straight ahead so that poo poo won't work.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Action

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-148/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=229

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I want to see some deaths in the next couple chapters, all I'm saying.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Page: http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-149/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=230

I wanted Baam to swing so much, but instead he got to relive the event that landed him in his current situation. Here's hoping for an epic save from Koon next week

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hahaha Baam you idiot :allears:

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
Rachel's finishing move is just too strong.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
:sigh: This manwha is so much better when Rachel isn't around.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

korrandark posted:

:sigh: This manwha is so much better when Rachel isn't around.

Wrong :colbert:

I mean, I'm not fond of the end of this page either, but the latest chapters have been the only interesting chapters since the beginning of the Workshop Battle.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

:laffo: that couldn't have ended any better.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Back to Bam creep chat;

I do think Bam is terribly obsessive with Rachel, but so was Reffelo with killing the King of the Tower. I think that both personalities displayed terrible behaviors and character flaws, but that is because they are forced to live in an irrational environment. Life in the Tower is really no better than life outside, Bam and Rachel only saw the Tower as a gate to paradise, while climbing residents only become more paranoid and conspiratorial in their drive up. There is no peace inside or outside the Tower, and I think this actually nullifies the meaning and value of being an Irregular. Bam is simply an Irregular because his mindset is well, kind and angelic, where as everything he knows is nothing but despair. His constant optimism and positivism shouldnt exist in such an environment, and the realities of the world make him look delusion-ally gullible or insanely naive.

His puppy dog like nature and simple personality are terribly easy to manipulate, as Rachel proved. My theory is pre-Tower, Rachel found Bam and saw someone, finally anything, that was sadder and weaker than her. Bam was a fat friend to a hot girl, used to promote oneself through simple internal comparisons. Rachel internally saw herself as a good person for uplifting this sad little ignorant thing, and Bam was eternally grateful. Bam's life pre-Tower was objectively damaging, he lived in isolation and was covered in filth, Rachel was the source of his education and only companion. Its not unreasonable that Bam may go crazy one day when his only, friend and benefactor, decides to leave him completely alone, in exactly the same state he was before. The regression back to nothing had no meaning to Bam, only the loss of what became his only social "light". Rachel for her part got bored, Bam is as simple to manipulate as a puppy and has almost no agency, he never left the cave because Rachel told him not too, his following her had nothing to do with a self directed action, it was the automatic response of a lost puppy.

Rachel for her part, gets too little credit. Bam was just her first test, while others have said that she has been only used to entice Bam, I would posit that she herself is using everyone else. I wont even go over her massacre of team Koon, but instead focus on the fact that she never seems afraid or uncertain of her self and circumstances. The only thing she fears is Bam, not because he is a threat to her, but because hes the old poo poo from last year, shes graduated to Tower-level social engineering. Hes that first lovely game you have in Civ 5 that has terrible management and looks pretty, game two as India will be much cleaner and will be something I can proud of.

On top of this, I think Koon would have been Rachel 2.0 or Child Hilter, he just benefited from meeting Bam, and taking something positive from the experience. His very first encounter with Bam is almost hilarious with his surprise at Bam's niceness. Rachel showed Bam the Light, but did not want him to actually better himself, Koon sees Bam as an example of purity of will and perseverance.

I HAVE 23 pages due Monday about the comparisons of Turkish and Iranian reform efforts but OH BOY COMICS AND ANIME

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Baam's personality is nothing like the one other known irregular or the others that have been written about in blog posts

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I only use that to support my own thesis, other irregulars arent irregular in just the physical/power sense, they are irregular because their introduction to the Tower society is disruptive. They do not have to have a reformist agenda or be rogues, they just have to disrupt the existing social ladder in some way, without going through the normal channels. Its just the difference between New and Old money, its dangerous and frightening because it is new and fresh an established environment. Bam personally is an irregular due to his own boy scout nature and magnetic following, he is dangerous because he does not operate or think according to social norms and its catching on.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Gaj posted:

I only use that to support my own thesis, other irregulars arent irregular in just the physical/power sense, they are irregular because their introduction to the Tower society is disruptive. They do not have to have a reformist agenda or be rogues, they just have to disrupt the existing social ladder in some way, without going through the normal channels. Its just the difference between New and Old money, its dangerous and frightening because it is new and fresh an established environment. Bam personally is an irregular due to his own boy scout nature and magnetic following, he is dangerous because he does not operate or think according to social norms and its catching on.

I thought, based on the blog posts, that Irregulars were people who entered the Tower through their own power rather than being chosen by the Tower (or being born there I guess). This gives them certain Irregular abilities which sounded primarily like not being as bound by the Tower's rules. It also seems to mean they are exceptional in some way (whether their power is developed or not) since they basically forced their way into the tower.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 4, 2015

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lyon posted:

I thought, based on the blog posts, that Irregulars were people who entered the Tower through their own power rather than being chosen by the Tower (or being born there I guess). This gives them certain Irregular abilities which sounded primarily like not being as bound by the Tower's rules. It also seems to mean they are exceptional in some way (whether their power is developed or not) since they basically forced their way into the tower.

This is what we are told in the story (I'll find the page later). Because they do not make a contract with the tower in the usual way they are exempt from certain rules. One of them is being capable of killing the King of Jahad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lyon posted:

Irregulars can use shinsoo and I'm sure other things without requiring the floor guardians permission which is what makes them dangerous. Everyone born in the tower has to follow the rules so Zahard can't be harmed

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah, Irregulars are just people who got in some other way. The others have been absurdly strong from the start (Urek, Phantaminum, Enryu). Zahard and his group may have been Irregulars as well. It's less clear since the term only started really being a thing after he set up the current system.

e: Baam's basic thing is that he was a blank slate but was still pretty strong to begin with. He should have had difficulty moving in the tank at Headon's floor but he was able to move easily - plus Leroro's shinsoo wave that just sort of broke around him without doing anything.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
I read about this a long while back on the ToG wiki, where they've compiled info dropped by the author in places other than the comic, like the ending notes that don't get translated anymore. It was months ago, so I don't remember it in detail, but basically a lot of rankers and notable families have gotten access to unique powers through special "contracts" with floor guardians. Some of them are so arbitrarily reality-bending that they resemble a magical geas of the mythological sort, rather than the pseudo-scientific flavor of many Shinsoo abilities. Zahard has one of these, and it says that he just can't be killed by any resident of the tower. So the people who want to kill him need an Irregular to pull the trigger, not because Irregulars themselves have any intrinsic power, but because they're the only ones who can bypass this ridiculous level of protection.

As for Baam in particular, his whole deal is that he has... I guess "talent" would be the word, or a natural skill, rather than any kind of straightforward strength. He's just a normal baseline human except that he can perceive and interface with Shinsoo with unparalleled ease. The way they've talked about it before in the comic, I get the impression that even high rankers capable of throwing around vastly greater quantities of Shinsoo still can't mesh with it quite as effortlessly as Baam can.

This, coupled with with the fact that he's a very fast learner, is basically why everyone's so keen on jamming things like the Thorn into him. He may not have much raw power of his own, but if you could artificially give him some, he'd be better at using it than anyone else around.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Cathair posted:

I read about this a long while back on the ToG wiki, where they've compiled info dropped by the author in places other than the comic, like the ending notes that don't get translated anymore. It was months ago, so I don't remember it in detail, but basically a lot of rankers and notable families have gotten access to unique powers through special "contracts" with floor guardians. Some of them are so arbitrarily reality-bending that they resemble a magical geas of the mythological sort, rather than the pseudo-scientific flavor of many Shinsoo abilities. Zahard has one of these, and it says that he just can't be killed by any resident of the tower. So the people who want to kill him need an Irregular to pull the trigger, not because Irregulars themselves have any intrinsic power, but because they're the only ones who can bypass this ridiculous level of protection.

As for Baam in particular, his whole deal is that he has... I guess "talent" would be the word, or a natural skill, rather than any kind of straightforward strength. He's just a normal baseline human except that he can perceive and interface with Shinsoo with unparalleled ease. The way they've talked about it before in the comic, I get the impression that even high rankers capable of throwing around vastly greater quantities of Shinsoo still can't mesh with it quite as effortlessly as Baam can.

This, coupled with with the fact that he's a very fast learner, is basically why everyone's so keen on jamming things like the Thorn into him. He may not have much raw power of his own, but if you could artificially give him some, he'd be better at using it than anyone else around.

So I just realized that I haven't been keeping up on the blog posts anymore either; but they're still out there and being translated! They're just not apparent anymore since they're not tacked on to the ends of the chapters. It looks like someone's been collecting them in this Google doc.

With regard to Baam, I don't know if I'd call it 'talent' necessarily, and piggy-backing on that I don't know if I'd even call him a normal baseline human. There have been plenty of clues that suggested otherwise, not least of which is how long he spent in a cave by himself without food, subsisting only on what I could guess would be shinsoo. The fact that he can accurately mimic shinsoo moves after seeing them once (or did they have to be used on him? I think he's only had to see them) is completely unparalleled in the tower. Then there's the bit where he's completely unhindered by, or maybe even impervious to shinsoo, such as the floor 1 test with the eel, or the bit where Leroro setup the shinsoo wall and Baam wasn't even aware a thing had happened. He tried to go outside and back in because he thought he'd cheated somehow.

Shinsoo's kind of weird in general because while there's been a load of info drops about it, it's not really clear how it works on a lower level. So far all of the information has suggested that shinsoo is strictly an external thing (not like an internal mana thing as is common in other media), and that regulars make contracts with the Guardians that determine how much of it they're allowed to use/manipulate. This has been sort of elaborated on when people were a. surprised that Baam could manipulate shinsoo without a contract (Floor 2 vs. Hwa Ryun, and one other example I forgot), and b. suggested that, because he was already able to manipulate shinsoo without a contract, he was handicapping himself by creating a contract with the guardian of the floor anyway; in effect limiting the quantity of shinsoo he was free to use.

e: Here's the chapter where they allude to the bit at the end: http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-1-ep-29/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=30

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 5, 2015

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Sarcophallus posted:

So I just realized that I haven't been keeping up on the blog posts anymore either; but they're still out there and being translated! They're just not apparent anymore since they're not tacked on to the ends of the chapters. It looks like someone's been collecting them in this Google doc.

That's cool, thanks!

Sarcophallus posted:

With regard to Baam, I don't know if I'd call it 'talent' necessarily, and piggy-backing on that I don't know if I'd even call him a normal baseline human. There have been plenty of clues that suggested otherwise, not least of which is how long he spent in a cave by himself without food, subsisting only on what I could guess would be shinsoo. The fact that he can accurately mimic shinsoo moves after seeing them once (or did they have to be used on him? I think he's only had to see them) is completely unparalleled in the tower. Then there's the bit where he's completely unhindered by, or maybe even impervious to shinsoo, such as the floor 1 test with the eel, or the bit where Leroro setup the shinsoo wall and Baam wasn't even aware a thing had happened. He tried to go outside and back in because he thought he'd cheated somehow.

I only meant "baseline human" with regards to his physical body. By now he's presumably learned the Shinsoo strengthening techniques discussed early in the comic, but he has no innate powers of superhuman strength or durability like some tower residents do. But yeah, he's not literally a normal human. Personally, I kinda lean towards the theories that he was engineered somehow.

As for the nature of his ability, I was just drawing the distinction- mostly in fantasy tropes, because there's no 1:1 real world parallel for this- between magical "power" and magical "control". Tons of people in the tower can swing a ball of Shinsoo much harder than Baam can, but he can see it more clearly and control it more precisely than pretty much anyone else. I think it's an interesting and more cerebral way to go with a unique protagonist ability, when in most manga/manwha of this genre, protagonists with any power at all are usually just strong in a completely generic way.

Or at least that's how I interpret it. If it weren't for how easily he picks up techniques, I'd assume he was just Shinsoo-proof, but given how adept he turned out to be at manipulating it, I figured the cases like the shinsoo wall were due less to resistance and more to such total control that he wasn't even aware of what he was doing. To me it seems like, instead of being protected from the stuff, he just attunes himself to it as naturally as breathing.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 5, 2015

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
Maybe after these events Baams friends will demand his reasons for chasing Rachel.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-150/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=231

Where Kuhn does a thing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
He threw something into the train but I'm not sure what.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Help me understand why no one has entered the train yet. I'm just astonished at this point. They'll stick their hands in and think about what lies beyond and talk it over and run like mad to get to the door but no one has actually put their foot inside. "Is it really okay?" What.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Well, if you are familiar with Hunter X hunter, there was a part where while it took 3 episodes but in real time only 10 or so seconds only passed. I don't recall how many chapters it took in the manga, but that's my interpretation of these past few chapters. So maybe since when Koon arrived only 4-5 minutes have passed? I have no idea. HxH had a narrator to explain everything that happens so that helped while ToG does not

Brought To You By posted:

He threw something into the train but I'm not sure what.

I think he threw his heavenly mirror knife? He said that the knife had powers he didn't want to use because they were too dangerous but maybe now in a desperate situation he will use them.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
The door to the train isn't a door, it's a portal. Every time you open it, it leads somewhere else. They have to regroup before going through or they'll all be separated from each other.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Tipme posted:

I think he threw his heavenly mirror knife? He said that the knife had powers he didn't want to use because they were too dangerous but maybe now in a desperate situation he will use them.

From what he said I'm guessing he put Wangnan and Flame girl inside the knife before throwing it (asking him if he had a ticket, and to stop them no matter what).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter: http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-151/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=232

Yeah, he threw the Heavenly mirror knife with Flame girl and Sweet and Sour inside. Koon continues to be the best part of this little sequence.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I feel like Koon is the only one of the main cast who does Planning so having him around helps the plot actually move forward.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-152/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=233

The skeleton lobster makes it's dramatic return? Koon makes a mysterious phone call. A dangerous new enemy revealed. What happens next? Find out next week on Tower of God! *1960's Batman and credits music*

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Hirethor posted:

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-152/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=233

The skeleton lobster makes it's dramatic return? Koon makes a mysterious phone call. A dangerous new enemy revealed. What happens next? Find out next week on Tower of God! *1960's Batman and credits music*

Sadly we won't find out next week because it's on a break for a week. There is maybe some sort of short comic next week but blogpost/the translation of the blog post isn't clear. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OPezYM_rR--SJYIDrL2PyZFacQzv7HD6f5_TRUxUAgE For the blogposts btw.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also, Rak learned a new word.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
"Gee Khun, the one time you need a sniper and you bench me!"
Being ManGator is suffering

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Just a heads up, do to some non-specified health concerns ToG is on recess this week.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
Welcome back

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-153/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=234

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Oh man, we're about to see that hot ManGator action. I can't wait.