Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

In every possible reality, Doom is the baddest motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Guess what is getting an English physical release this fall

Get hype!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-06-05/one-punch-man-to-debut-in-print-in-n-america/.88946

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yessss, I must possess this.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

His introduction in "Ultron Unlimited" is pretty excellent and is almost certainly what most deep fans were thinking of when they were thinking of how movie Ultron wasn't scary or threatening enough.

It's a very good moment but due to availability, funds, and time I only got around to reading the full story of "Ultron Unleashed" last year and found it doesn't hold up that well overall. You can see a lot of Busiek's very "Back to basics Bronze Age sensibilities to get over the Dark Age and Marvel Bankruptcy hangover" on display and combined with George Perez's extremely detailed art it creates a density that is uniquely superhero comic, but also cram-packed with the lesser aspects of the same.

A moment like that would have translated well to the screen, but given how the rest of the movie sets up Ultron as this more intimate villain it also would have been a bit.... much given how Marvel is clearly going for an all-audiences approach. The movie definitely could have made Ultron nastier though, they did drop the ball on that.

E-- Not "Unleashed", "Unlimited." Edited now that I found the images.
This is kind of interesting, thanks for posting. But jesus christ if they'd done that, it would be incredibly grim. Like tone-breakingly horrific. A lot more interesting than what we got in the movie. But man, I find the Marvel movies are already kind of struggling with the balance of horrifying deaths with silly humour and funny quips. (How many Peter Serafinowiczes died prior to Star Lord attempting a dance off?!)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You think that's grim, what if they'd actually done, y'know, AGE OF ULTRON instead of The Terrible Very Bad No Good Week of Ultron.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That's a different kind of grim.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
James Spader as bantering supervillain was much, much better than the scary robot who kills literally every single person in a hamfisted reference to Bosnia.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kellsterik posted:

James Spader as bantering supervillain was much, much better than the scary robot who kills literally every single person in a hamfisted reference to Bosnia.

The very last Marvel movie will be a My Dinner With Andre-esque style 3-hour conversation between Spader-bot and Loki, with Thanos as their bumbling but loveable waiter. Fury will be a rando eating alone and angrily staring at them from across the room.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Flesh Forge posted:

You think that's grim, what if they'd actually done, y'know, AGE OF ULTRON instead of The Terrible Very Bad No Good Week of Ultron.

If they did that storyline they would not have even needed James Spader, as Ultron is barely in it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Are there any badass (or even interesting) Ultron panels?

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the character and a comics podcast I was listening to was saying how the movie did it all wrong.

Problem is that looking Ultron up just pretty much exclusively finds movie stuff now.
Thanks to my uncle's old comic collection, most Ultrons I saw were less of the 'giant evil robot army' type and more 'rear end in a top hat robot son who gets into a fistfight with the entire Avengers roster by himself.'
I mean, the dialogue's still wordy as hell, but there's no genocide. Just Thor-punching. I wonder if Ultron ever teamed up with the Destroyer armour?

Avengers 162, 171, and 202.
Back then constructing robots was a sometimes food, like for when you wanted to drain the Wasp's brainlifenergy or whatever into a robot bride or something.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I love how everyone's solution for 'robot that is literally indestructible' is 'punch it more'. :allears: So how does Comics Ultron usually get defeated anyway?

Also, I noticed Wonder Man in a couple of those panels. I was actually a fan of his 90s miniseries, at least before it got all dark and brooding. Anyone have scans of that? I'd especially love the '"Okay, go", Neil' page, which I remember to this day.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

FredMSloniker posted:

I love how everyone's solution for 'robot that is literally indestructible' is 'punch it more'. :allears: So how does Comics Ultron usually get defeated anyway?

His outer shell is invulnerable but his innards aren't quite as durable, so Wasp goes inside and starts yanking out the wiring or something.

In the Busiek/Perez arc, Hank gets a couple of loads of "Antarctic Vibranium," which liquifies nearby metal, and uses them like knuckle-dusters until Ultron stops moving.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

FredMSloniker posted:

Also, I noticed Wonder Man in a couple of those panels. I was actually a fan of his 90s miniseries, at least before it got all dark and brooding. Anyone have scans of that? I'd especially love the '"Okay, go", Neil' page, which I remember to this day.

There was also one I remember where Wonder Man just lays into Ultron, over and over again. Sure he can't break his Adamantin outer layer, but he eventuallu breaks up Ultron 's non Adamantium internal pieces.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

FredMSloniker posted:

Scarlet Witch uses crazy magic at least once, think Pym invented or borrowed something called antimetal once that did the job. Other times he's not been adamantium and just been extremely tough.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

In the three examples I posted in order: blackmailed into leaving by threat of blowing up his robot wife; cracked by a Scarlet Witch hex so Thor can suck his nuclear juice out with Mjolnir and shoot it into space; knocked into a vat of molten adamantium and frozen in place.

The Question IRL posted:

There was also one I remember where Wonder Man just lays into Ultron, over and over again. Sure he can't break his Adamantin outer layer, but he eventuallu breaks up Ultron 's non Adamantium internal pieces.
Wonder Man and Ultron had a thing for a while. Well, a micro-thing - I posted almost half of it already, really, and you've summarized the entire other half. 70s Wonder Man, having just resurrected, was all scared of dying and death and so on and fighting a psychotic fusion-powered robot that could backhand Thor sort of brought it to the forefront. Then he went to Hollywood and learned the ways of Getting Paid and having an ego and, as you said, did this:

West Coast Avengers 7.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 6, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Drakyn posted:

In the three examples I posted in order: blackmailed into leaving by threat of blowing up his robot wife; cracked by a Scarlet Witch hex so Thor can suck his nuclear juice out with Mjolnir and shoot it into space; knocked into a vat of molten adamantium and frozen in place.

I can't decide which is the most *comics*.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Always bet on "has a power that never gets used again" with Mjolnir there.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It is a Magic hammer.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

In the original Secret War, Doom convinced Molecule Man to bump Ultron into Galactus and, well...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Galactus: One Baad Dude

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

AnonSpore posted:

I demand a comic where Galactus saves the President from ninjas.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore posted:

Thanos: Big purple balls of steel.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Galactus is the Worf of Cosmic Marvel, any big space-bad gets his turn to smack Big-G around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wapole Languray posted:

Galactus is the Worf of Cosmic Marvel, any big space-bad gets his turn to smack Big-G around.

That's a bit much. Before recent years, he only got smacked around like once a decade. Unless you count that time in the 90s where his skull fell to earth to herald the arrival of some SUPER AWESOME villain.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's a solid basis for it though. From JLA/Avengers on I've seen Galactus either chumped or neutered a lot more than his reputation would suggest.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Galactus gets knocked down a lot but tends to no sell for the next page or so afterwards

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

That's a bit much. Before recent years, he only got smacked around like once a decade. Unless you count that time in the 90s where his skull fell to earth to herald the arrival of some SUPER AWESOME villain.

Jesus Christ that's so 90s I'm surprised it didn't come out of DC Comics in the last five years

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it was actually 2002-2003 immediately before Waid and Wieringo - it would've been the Carlos Pacheco / Jeph Loeb arc.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

SirDan3k posted:

Galactus gets knocked down a lot but tends to no sell for the next page or so afterwards

You don't get half-measures with Galactus. It's either *plink* "Galactus just chumped him like he was nothing!" or "Galactus just got chumped! Impossible!".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bloodly posted:

You don't get half-measures with Galactus. It's either *plink* "Galactus just chumped him like he was nothing!" or "Galactus just got chumped! Impossible!".

or you get this

Fantastic Four 604

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bobkatt013 posted:

or you get this

Fantastic Four 604

I never noticed but now I can't unsee Franklin's teeth being really off center.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

or you get this

Fantastic Four 604

Of course that came immediately after Galactus got chumped.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TwoPair posted:

Of course that came immediately after Galactus got chumped.

Who taint-reaped him?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Drifter posted:

Who taint-reaped him?

Mad Celestials

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Occasionally Galactus will throw down against someone his own size.

Galactus in a fist fight is the funniest thing. Comics. :allears:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
There really needs to be a solo series of Galactus wandering around, eating planets, and getting into cosmic shenanigans.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
What ever became of Galactus' earth-based Twitter using daughter, Galacta or whatever?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tragedyjones posted:

What ever became of Galactus' earth-based Twitter using daughter, Galacta or whatever?

Brevoort said she's not part of 616, and is therefore now dead.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Aphrodite posted:

Brevoort said she's not part of 616, and is therefore now dead.

No Fun Allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Wanderer posted:

His outer shell is invulnerable but his innards aren't quite as durable, so Wasp goes inside and starts yanking out the wiring or something.

In the Busiek/Perez arc, Hank gets a couple of loads of "Antarctic Vibranium," which liquifies nearby metal, and uses them like knuckle-dusters until Ultron stops moving.

Doesn't a tiny Ares fly a tiny bomb down his throat during Bendis' Avengers?