Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Slade Wilson originated in Teen Titans, where he tried to bring bring them down to avenge the death of his son, the original Ravager, who had himself been hired to kill them. He showed up a lot after that and was popular enough to make it into other comics.

The arc with Terra was also adapted from the comics, with a lot of changes. She was involved with Deathstroke's plans from the start, was mentally unstable, and was in a relationship with him.

Jericho, the mute hero with possession powers who only got to do stuff in the final battle against the Brotherhood of Evil, was another of Deathstroke's kids in the comics.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh yeah, That's where they got the Alternetive name, starting to come back to me now.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Man of Action is making a new Mega Man show, I have literally no idea if it's going to be good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Neo Helbeast posted:

Man of Action is making a new Mega Man show, I have literally no idea if it's going to be good.

Between MoA's entire rapsheet I'd give it even odds.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Original TT is good at either extreme (super serious like Trigon & Terra or super silly like Bunny Raven, Control Freak, or Kid Flash) and lovely any where in the middle.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ungulateman posted:

I gotta say, after going back and rewatching some of the original Teen Titans, it makes the various criticisms levelled at TTG even more stupid. By far the worst parts of it (at least of season one) was when the show tried to be serious, and the Slade 'plot' if you want to call it that is loving embarrassingly 90s for a 2000s cartoon. TTG just skips the melodrama and recognises that when you stick five teenagers with superpowers in a building dumb things are going to happen.

I dunno, I think it has its charms. It's obviously dated, and the blending of anime gags is gonna put people off, but nothing ever ages flawlessly. There's episodes of B:TAS, the gold standard of superhero cartoon, that are subpar. Honestly though, it's silly when people try to compare the two Titans shows, because they're really like apples and oranges aside from having the same VAs. One sets out to blend action and humor, the other sets out to do humor and half the time to mock the very concept of action.

Also I was totally invested in the mystery of who Slade was back in the day. I was positive it was Batman putting Robin through some elaborate-rear end test. I felt so dumb when I actually started reading comics later on only to find out that Slade was just the guy's name the whole time.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

And then somehow fails spectacularly to make that fumy.

I get the part where TT was overly melodramatic (Was any action cartoon from around that point not, to some degree or another?) but that's a brilliant base for comedy and instead what we have is Purple Monkey Dishwasher (Or as the show puts it; Waffles Waffles Waffles) Humour that might could have any five teenagers with superpowers being superdicks (and, not really that in TTG) and call it a day (Hell I think some of the generic CanCon crap that floats on CBBC is exactly that).

My quarter isn't with what is having it's poo poo pushed in, I liked the original to be sure but even I can see where it could be stood to be slapped around, it's how its poo poo is getting pushed in that I have issues with.

Nothing else to say other than your opinion on TTG is bad and wrong.

I loved Teen Titans and TTGO is just taking the silly episode from Teen Titans and turning it up to 11. The original Teen Titans was full of " Purple Monkey Dishwasher" jokes and even had an episode where Beast Boy rides around on a moped stopping a Tofu invasion. I loved the original Teen Titans and I've watched enough of TTG to know that the writers did too because it really captures the silliness Teen Titans was known for.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Asuron posted:

Nothing else to say other than your opinion on TTG is bad and wrong.

I loved Teen Titans and TTGO is just taking the silly episode from Teen Titans and turning it up to 11. The original Teen Titans was full of " Purple Monkey Dishwasher" jokes and even had an episode where Beast Boy rides around on a moped stopping a Tofu invasion. I loved the original Teen Titans and I've watched enough of TTG to know that the writers did too because it really captures the silliness Teen Titans was known for.
Well, I'm glad you find it funny, at least.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Quick, you're in charge of Nickelodeon. It's just occurred to you that the actors for The Fresh Beat Band are way past the age where it's embarrassing for everyone involved for the show to continue. What do you do?

Make them into a cartoon of course! A cartoon where band is secretly a group of international spies! And they have to finish their mission in time for their next gig! And they have a monkey sidekick! And possibly other ideas from the 1970s Hanna-Barbera dumpster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcII6vyLhig

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Hold the loving presses, Tangled is getting a traditionally animated TV series.

http://di.sn/6018hWUn

quote:

But what makes the Tangled series so special is the amount of talent that they’ve retained from the original feature film. This new series will feature Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi reprising their roles of Rapunzel and Flynn Rider (nee Eugene) from the movie and showcase new songs from Academy Award-winning composer Alan Menken and lyricist Glenn Slater, who were responsible for all of those catchy tunes in the original film. Clare Keane, daughter of Disney Legend Glen Keane (who at one point was the director on a very different version of the film and who later served as an animation supervisor), consulted on the film. They’re really getting the band back together. This is roughly the equivalent of snagging Robin Williams for the Aladdin television series.

This cast is an absolute dream team. Clare Keane is wonderful and there's gonna be all those good songs and they got the voice actors and I can't wait.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Whoa what they're actually getting Mandy Moore and Zachery Levi?? I'm totally down if they use the art style the keep teasing in the articles about it

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Well it's not like they're doing anything else at the moment. Plus more Tangled money.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

raditts posted:

Quick, you're in charge of Nickelodeon. It's just occurred to you that the actors for The Fresh Beat Band are way past the age where it's embarrassing for everyone involved for the show to continue. What do you do?

Make them into a cartoon of course!

Apparently this was part of the reason why Disney Channel made Kim Possible, after dealing with Hillary Duff and her crazy stage mom they decided their next big star would be animated so if the talent started causing trouble it would be a lot easier to just replace them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Disney pay their live action stars lower than the competition, anyway. Apparently, Miranda Cosgrove from iCarly alone made 3 times more than Zack & Cody's Cole and Dylan Sprouse together.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sleeveless posted:

Apparently this was part of the reason why Disney Channel made Kim Possible, after dealing with Hillary Duff and her crazy stage mom they decided their next big star would be animated so if the talent started causing trouble it would be a lot easier to just replace them.

Which makes the fact that they still mostly do LA sitcom crap on the main channel kinda confusing

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
It's way, way cheaper to spin up middle-of-the-road space filler in live action than it is in animation. Especially when most of the talent is just grown in vats in a secret warehouse somewhere in Anaheim.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

raditts posted:

Quick, you're in charge of Nickelodeon.

Do one final FXX Every Simpsons Ever Marathon of Spongebob (Sponsered by Nintendo / Splatoon), put all the episodes into the Disney Vault and fire the Disney Vault into the sun.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Do one final FXX Every Simpsons Ever Marathon of Spongebob (Sponsered by Nintendo / Splatoon), put all the episodes into the Disney Vault and fire the Disney Vault into the sun.

You're overthinking this. Just pin a murder on Tom Kenny, mothers will be throwing rocks at Nick execs until they pull everything spongebob.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

horriblePencilist posted:

You're overthinking this. Just pin a murder on Tom Kenny, mothers will be throwing rocks at Nick execs until they pull everything spongebob.

But he's been good elsewhere.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Tom Kenny rules and anyways I don't think him leaving for any reason would actually kill off Spongebob.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I got in a conversation at work about cartoon show we all watched as kids. They were younger so they mentioned Spongebob. I remembered watching reruns of the old 1964 Hanna-Barbara cartoon, Jonny Quest. The thing I remember being the coolest about Jonny Quest is that characters died on that show for real. Not graphically, but when the villain fired his laser cannon at Jonny and Jonny reflected it back toward him with a mirror, the villain's ship blew completely the gently caress up with him and his crew on it. There was none of that namby-pamby GIJOE "everyone parachutes to safety out of exploding planes" poo poo. Jonny Quest would kill your rear end.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

horriblePencilist posted:

But how will he appear on the spiritual successor to Mr. Show netflix show?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Anyone remember SWAT Kats? I remember it being a fun show, but haven't watched it in more than a decade, so I don't know if it has aged well or not, considering it's been more than 10 years since it last aired. I never watched the whole show since I was too distracted with HBO Spawn.

johntfs posted:

I got in a conversation at work about cartoon show we all watched as kids. They were younger so they mentioned Spongebob. I remembered watching reruns of the old 1964 Hanna-Barbara cartoon, Jonny Quest. The thing I remember being the coolest about Jonny Quest is that characters died on that show for real. Not graphically, but when the villain fired his laser cannon at Jonny and Jonny reflected it back toward him with a mirror, the villain's ship blew completely the gently caress up with him and his crew on it. There was none of that namby-pamby GIJOE "everyone parachutes to safety out of exploding planes" poo poo. Jonny Quest would kill your rear end.

Both the old and the CN Johnny Quest shows were cool boy cartoons. I'm surprised they don't do any reruns of those shows, thought they're a bit dated these days. On the other hand, thew heroes actually managed to outright murder or seriously cripple a villain's operations while facing serious danger.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't seen it since it originally aired but I remember SWAT Kats being kind of stupid. Like how they were fighting crime in a jet which had a bunch of nonlethal missiles. I also take umbrage to the fact that it had the subtitle "The Radical Squadron" with the terrible use of radical and how two guys isn't really a squadron.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

uncleKitchener posted:

Anyone remember SWAT Kats? I remember it being a fun show, but haven't watched it in more than a decade, so I don't know if it has aged well or not, considering it's been more than 10 years since it last aired. I never watched the whole show since I was too distracted with HBO Spawn.

Both the old and the CN Johnny Quest shows were cool boy cartoons. I'm surprised they don't do any reruns of those shows, thought they're a bit dated these days. On the other hand, thew heroes actually managed to outright murder or seriously cripple a villain's operations while facing serious danger.

Also, without Jonny Quest, we wouldn't have Venture Brothers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

uncleKitchener posted:

If you can get past the general premise it's ok but it's one of those shows where they set up a lot of stuff and then they get cancelled before they follow up on any of it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
It also had a lot of electric guitar in the background.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

muscles like this? posted:

I haven't seen it since it originally aired but I remember SWAT Kats being kind of stupid. Like how they were fighting crime in a jet which had a bunch of nonlethal missiles. I also take umbrage to the fact that it had the subtitle "The Radical Squadron" with the terrible use of radical and how two guys isn't really a squadron.

They used to show reruns of it on Boomerang before they retooled Boomerang into being Cartoon Network's dumping ground of poo poo from 4-5 years ago and also occasionally a Flintstones episode. It was as bad as I remember it being as a kid, but I was probably out of its target age range when it first aired so I have no nostalgia attached to it.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I kind of miss Code Name: Kids Next Door.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I looked up the Wikipedia entry on the series to try and jog my memory and the whole thing just seems really generic. The only things that really stood out were the whole militarized police thing and how the cast of main characters seemed kind of small. There were just the two guys who actually did anything and a couple of other people and that was it.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

The intro is pretty 90's radical https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AdxJWFUh4

I looked up the Wikipedia entry on the series to try and jog my memory and the whole thing just seems really generic. The only things that really stood out were the whole militarized police thing and how the cast of main characters seemed kind of small. There were just the two guys who actually did anything and a couple of other people and that was it.

The only episode I really remember is the one where they take their jet back in time and everyone thinks they're a dragon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

johntfs posted:

I kind of miss Code Name: Kids Next Door.

Tom Warburton is really active on Tumblr, Facebook, and Snapchat. He did a "Galactic: Kids Next Door" thing for April Fool's Day and it was really drat cool and believable. It was so popular, there's a Change.org petition to get CN to make it into a real show. He got the original cast to reprise their voices just for this little viral marketing thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqmHry0Y8D4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmcH0kS3J_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPni6B2d9QM

https://www.change.org/p/cartoon-network-greenlight-galactic-kids-next-door-series

http://warburtonlabs.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-gknd-experiment-part-1.html
http://warburtonlabs.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-gknd-experiment-part-2.html
http://warburtonlabs.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-gknd-experiment-part-3.html
http://warburtonlabs.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-gknd-experiment-part-4.html

Batman fights in a tank that has nonlethal weaponry and uses weapons in a nonlethal manner. Is he better or worse than the SWAT Kats? :v:

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 8, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Batman doesn't solely fight crime in the Batmobile.

Anyway, in other news CN has decided to reboot Ben 10 with a new series where he is once again ten years old.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
And here I thought Ben 10 was finally dead. gently caress.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Um, the SWAT Kats had a motorcycle too. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anyway, in other news CN has decided to reboot Ben 10 with a new series where he is once again ten years old.

On the one hand, ugh, won't they just let it stay dead? On the other, at least they realized that each successive sequel series got worse and worse so it's better to take it back to basics.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Please. No. Stop. Just stop.

(This coming from someone who enjoyed Ben 10 and Omniverse.)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Gaunab posted:

And here I thought Ben 10 was finally dead. gently caress.

To be fair the first and last seasons weren't awful. There are far worse series that could be resurrected from the dead.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

TwoPair posted:

On the one hand, ugh, won't they just let it stay dead?

you realize that ben 10 is a merchandising deal that prints money right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

you realize that ben 10 is a merchandising deal that prints money right

That's why I brought up the other hand because yes I'm fully aware.