Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How much environmental protection is enough to be safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Molotov them, got it.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Mzbundifund posted:

How much environmental protection is enough to be safe?

Honestly the best thing to do would be to hunt through hospitals/pharmacies/hardware stores for antifungal drugs and/or garden-intended antifungal powder to keep handy, or even read a chemistry book and make some, if you can't get antifungals, give a wide berth to anything fungal.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Just chuck rocks at the spore clouds. Its not like they've got lots of health or anything.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Ugh. It's too bad that the preserved variants of food nearly always seem to nourish you less than the fresh variant by a lot. Cooked meat's 50 nourishment vs. Jerky's 12? Yeah that...sucks. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So go out and shoot/rock a Squirrel if you want fresh meat.

That said, Jerky uses 1 chunk of meat to make 3 portions of jerky that give 12 nutrition each. 3x12 =36. Not bad for something that won't spoil vs the 1 portion 50 nutrition of Cooked Meat.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You get 3 pieces of jerky per meat chunk. It's not that bad a tradeoff, since jerky doesn't rot. For preserved food it's much better to just make powdered eggs though.

Cooking does need a balance pass, there are definitely some recipes where it's better to eat the components individually than actually bother making them. The various sandwiches come to mind, if I remember rightly.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So go out and shoot/rock a Squirrel if you want fresh meat.

That said, Jerky uses 1 chunk of meat to make 3 portions of jerky that give 12 nutrition each. 3x12 =36. Not bad for something that won't spoil vs the 1 portion 50 nutrition of Cooked Meat.

Oh really? poo poo ok. That is pretty good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also recombine jerky/dehydrated meat into other foods, so you can build up a stockpile of preserved ingredients and use them to make perishable meals as you need them.

Meat flakes aren't very good but a rehydrated sarnie is a lot better.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Speaking of stockpiles, anyone has a sane way of stocking a shelter? I'm only using the basement for sleeping, at least until I manage to cook without smoke, because gently caress doing anything with a flashlight. That has the drawback of making upstairs a complete mess of piles of food, medical supplies, books, rags and leather patches and an ever increasing pile of electronic parts I don't know what to do with.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Dehydrated meat is good as hell because you can use it in tons of different recipes. My last long-term survivor had an asston of dehydrated meats, fruits, and vegetables stashed in her deathmobile. I used to drive around ramming wildlife and turning it into pelts, dehydrated meat, and superglue. If I didn't feel like cooking anything up or was short on other ingredients, I had a massive stockpile of granola and aspic to eat.

It's kind of unfortunate that the most efficient and effective cooking practices are also the least interesting. Maybe the complicated perishable recipes should come with a decent hidden-health-stat boost as well as their morale and satiation effects, so that feasting on homemade spaghetti, lasagne, pizza, and omelettes keeps your character hale and hearty season after season.

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of stockpiles, anyone has a sane way of stocking a shelter? I'm only using the basement for sleeping, at least until I manage to cook without smoke, because gently caress doing anything with a flashlight. That has the drawback of making upstairs a complete mess of piles of food, medical supplies, books, rags and leather patches and an ever increasing pile of electronic parts I don't know what to do with.

I put books and crafting stuff around the functioning computer console - tools get their own tile, raw materials get their own tile, and books get their own tile. Empty bottles and other containers get their own spot nearby so I don't have to search for them. That way I can stand next to the console and pretty quickly sort through what I need to make stuff. Everything else gets arranged on the counters nearby - the top counter is usually for survival gear and situational stuff like my shovel, crowbar, rain clothes, etc., and the bottom counter is for stuff I'm hoarding for later use - quest items, USBs, various upgrades and electronics stuff, and so on.

Vehicle parts and mechanical equipment get stacked next to the doors nearest the road, either inside or outside. Food, drinks, and spare medical supplies usually get piled up around my sleeping area so they're close at hand if I need to weather a flu or something.

e: I forgot to mention that thread, sinew, duct tape, batteries, and other kit-refilling items either go in the "tools" pile or on their own tile adjacent to it. gently caress digging through 600 crafting ingredients to reload my tailor's kit. Bullet materials and handloading equipment get their own little hell far away from everything else because gently caress that insanity I don't have the patience for that.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 8, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
My initial survivor just had a number of crates sort of scattered around the console, sorting for parts, food, medical supplies, books, and armor/weapons. Of course once I built a porta-home (three large electric motors dragging along a solar array!) that sorting became a lot more chaotic since there's no way of labelling each cargo space/hold/box.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Sage Grimm posted:

My initial survivor just had a number of crates sort of scattered around the console, sorting for parts, food, medical supplies, books, and armor/weapons. Of course once I built a porta-home (three large electric motors dragging along a solar array!) that sorting became a lot more chaotic since there's no way of labelling each cargo space/hold/box.

"e" to examine the vehicle, then "a" to label a section. It's helpful for keeping track of what you're storing where.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Fat Samurai posted:

Yeah, labeling the various parts of your doom mobile helps, but here is the mess that is my Survivor Hippie Hoarder Van.

Also, learn to love the advanced inventory management "/" screen. A lot of the time I can stand in one of two spots (where I am in the screenshot or just to the left) switch the adv inventory thing to area mode (checks all the tiles around you) and then just filter for what I'm looking for and grab it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You guys drag way too much poo poo around with you!

One thing living out of a single duffel bag taught me in CataTweaks, there are some things it's okay to just leave behind.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What else am I gonna fill this van full of?

If it doesn't look like this:

Whats the point?

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
Once I get mobile I like to leave caches wherever I stop for any appreciable time. It's a hell of a lot easier than trying to find space for scrap metals, chemicals, electronic components and things of that sort. If you need to make something using that poo poo and can't easily scavenge what you need it's usually not hugely difficult or time consuming to get back.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If you don't think dicking around in an environmentally friendly heavily scaled up version of an F1 racer (heavy is a good word for it, I can only safely max out at 50 km/h) is the pinnacle of mechanics I don't know what to tell you.

It's too wide to take through a town without having to stop and decompile/smash all the incidental wrecks on the streets, however. But it gives me time to find the one or two vehicles that are close to/in working order and take them on a rollicking joyride. At least until essential parts of the machine get torn out and I'm left coasting, praying the seatbelt holds.

I like taking it for lonely rides through heavily wooded areas.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 8, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Hmm. I found some wheelbarrows missing a wheel here and there, apparently, making scraping noises when I drag them around. I pulled some wheels off so I could put them all on one wheelbarrow. But it doesn't seem to be giving me the option to?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You're limited to one wheel per square/space on a vehicle.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You're limited to one wheel per square/space on a vehicle.

Oh, so you can only drag poo poo around with scraping noises in a wheelbarrow. drat. I tried to transplant a wheelbarrow box on to a shopping cart but it only gave me a steel frame upon removal. Damaged, too. Any way of doing that? That extra 75 volume would come in handy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Did you remove the broken wheel first? A broken item still counts as an item. Also, you need a welder or lots of duct tape to reattach things while you only need a wrench and a saw to remove (most) stuff, so that might be your problem.

Otherwise that sheet metal should be able to be used to craft a new box via "install".

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did you remove the broken wheel first? A broken item still counts as an item. Also, you need a welder or lots of duct tape to reattach things while you only need a wrench and a saw to remove (most) stuff, so that might be your problem.

Otherwise that sheet metal should be able to be used to craft a new box via "install".

Hmm. Ok. I'll give that a shot. Maybe I can use the steel frame to stuff a 650 volume box/trunk on to my shopping cart?

After having gone into the vehicle options I'm now getting debug errors for laser guns not being made with guns or whatever when I load in. Any way to fix that?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Artificer posted:

Oh, so you can only drag poo poo around with scraping noises in a wheelbarrow. drat. I tried to transplant a wheelbarrow box on to a shopping cart but it only gave me a steel frame upon removal. Damaged, too. Any way of doing that? That extra 75 volume would come in handy.

The Steel Frame object is what is used to install a "box" but you can also use it to make a "trunk" with 650 storage space; you just can't have two cargo-carrying parts in the same tile.

e: to be more exact, you can only have one part with the location="center" location flag like door/board/quarterpanel/trunk/box/fridge/etc and includes all the vanilla storage bins.

Locations are "structure" (frames) and "center" (aforementioned) and "over" (turrets) and "under" (mostly wheels) and "armor" (duh) and each location can only have one per tile. Parts without a location flag are treated as internals that can stack with any other number, except they can only have one instance of a single part per tile.

Separate from the location is a set of 'tag' variables that designate function like [fuel source] [wheel] [armor] [cargo] [turret] and such except those don't really seem to do much other than provide a second type of exclusion.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 8, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You could install a 650 one instead of a 200/275, but if the thing gets too heavy vs your character's strength you won't be able to drag it anymore. And yeah, max 1 cargo container per square.

No idea about this laser error, I've never run into something like that.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You could install a 650 one instead of a 200/275, but if the thing gets too heavy vs your character's strength you won't be able to drag it anymore. And yeah, max 1 cargo container per square.

Gotcha. Well having the volume available will be nice even if it is just to carry a bunch of looted clothes.

Hmmm. Probably one of the mods I activated at the start of the game back on stable. Maybe its causing problems since I dragged my save files to one of the experimental builds recently and I didnt activate the mod on there? I guess I shouldnt have. Hopefully this doesnt cause more problems down the line.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Artificer posted:

Hmmm. Probably one of the mods I activated at the start of the game back on stable. Maybe its causing problems since I dragged my save files to one of the experimental builds recently and I didnt activate the mod on there? I guess I shouldnt have. Hopefully this doesnt cause more problems down the line.

The mod to blame is the Vehicle Additions Pack which wasn't properly tested I guess and it doesn't matter when you activated if the save still has the broken definitions. Just don't activate it on any new worlds you make if you ever do - the animatronic monsters or Friday at Freddy's monster pack is also broken but it's much more noticeable up front.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Do people usually have trouble with drag weight? I run around with one of the 1000 volume cargo carrier things, and I only get into weight problems if I am hauling heavy stuff like car parts or construction materials. For food and drug scavenging, I still run out of volume first.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The mod to blame is the Vehicle Additions Pack which wasn't properly tested I guess and it doesn't matter when you activated if the save still has the broken definitions. Just don't activate it on any new worlds you make if you ever do - the animatronic monsters or Friday at Freddy's monster pack is also broken but it's much more noticeable up front.

drat. Hopefully it doesn't break anything important then.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've got that mod enabled and never had an error message like that, weird.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've got that mod enabled and never had an error message like that, weird.

Hhhuh. Maybe it's just my particular experimental build? It says I'm on 42a30fd.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The mods must have been fixed then, 3255 does work as you advertise even with all the mods I used together in the past that would throw errors.

e: Don't go by the version id on the main screen, go by the number in the zip file - much easier to tell how old your version is that way.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is there any way of preventing you from hitting things so hard that your weapon gets damaged? My beautiful shiny new wonderful steel spear just got damaged because I stabbed a soldier zombie too hard. I figure I'll need to repair it with an acetylene torch or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Artificer posted:

Is there any way of preventing you from hitting things so hard that your weapon gets damaged? My beautiful shiny new wonderful steel spear just got damaged because I stabbed a soldier zombie too hard. I figure I'll need to repair it with an acetylene torch or something.

A soldering iron and scrap metal will work, and will also reinforce the spear to make it work better and break less.

You will damage/stick your weapon less the better you get at using it, it shouldn't come up much when you reach level 3 or so in the weapon's skill.

You will still want to avoid using the weapon to smash though, I think that can still damage it.

Alternatively just keep a bit of scrap on you and a soldering iron, it's useful and easy to fix basic metal weapons with.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

A soldering iron can repair and reinforce weapons with metal in them. Reinforced weapons have more damage sometimes a rather significant amount, I think a reinforced zweihander has like 15 more total damage. Be careful if your mechanics is total garbage though because you can damage it just like when tailoring clothing.

EDIT: Also be wary when using a steel spear, because it has the impale trait. When it triggers your spear becomes basically impossible to hold on to even if you've become a drug addled cyber mutant Kilik.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 9, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

girth brooks part 2 posted:

A soldering iron can repair and reinforce weapons with metal in them. Reinforced weapons have more damage sometimes a rather significant amount, I think a reinforced zweihander has like 15 more total damage. Be careful if your mechanics is total garbage though because you can damage it just like when tailoring clothing.

EDIT: Also be wary when using a steel spear, because it has the impale trait. When it triggers your spear becomes basically impossible to hold on to even if you've become a drug addled cyber mutant Kilik.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Ok I'm going to keep a quarterstaff in backup in that case then. Thanks!

Edit: Oh God I just had a bunch of brioches go bad on me right before I could eat them. drat my inability to get hungry fast enough.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 9, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Question: Will smashing the display cases in this electronics store bring down the cold steel fist of Robot Law on me? If so, how dangerous is it? I am armed with a machete, longbow, two Molotov cocktails, and two homemade grenades, but I have never thrown a single object in my life, so I will probably blow myself up if I try to use those. My dodge skill is poo poo, and I am defended solely by leather-reinforced ordinary clothes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mzbundifund posted:

Question: Will smashing the display cases in this electronics store bring down the cold steel fist of Robot Law on me? If so, how dangerous is it? I am armed with a machete, longbow, two Molotov cocktails, and two homemade grenades, but I have never thrown a single object in my life, so I will probably blow myself up if I try to use those. My dodge skill is poo poo, and I am defended solely by leather-reinforced ordinary clothes.

First things first: Can you somehow get them open with a lockpick or crowbar? That might be much safer.

But as far as I know, gun stores and some rooms in labs are the only remaining bastions of Robot Law in the apocalypse.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nah, first comes the cam bots to scope the area and take selfies with any ruffians. Then come the riot bots to hose everything down with gas and tazers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Artificer posted:

But what about the food in tin cans? Those should be preserved right? Or do those go bad too?

As far as I can tell tin cans preserve their contents forever. Before the game checks to see if food needs to rot, the game checks if the food is in a container with the "preserves" tag, like a tin can. If the food is in a tin the game updates the food's last rot check to the current game time, so the actual rot check gets skipped.

The food in tin cans still displays as blue because technically it's a perishable product that can rot, but as long as you don't remove it from the can it will stay fresh.