Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

a slime posted:

If someone wants to get into the base, they can get into the base. You can enter any base, airlock or not, just by camping the door as a ghost.

Either we need to split the guilds and have locked workstations, or people need to stop complaining about yellows get into the base and loving everything up.
None of the people getting into the base are bothering with ghost antics. People just keep leaving the doors open for long periods of time and they just walk right in.

Just stop leaving the doors open!

Split guild-locked workstations would be nice to have though. That won't stop them slaughtering farm animals, breaking furnaces, etc however.

a slime posted:

Is it possible to disband the guild without destroying the guild hall? Maybe we can just periodically reconsolidate by recreating the two guilds and asking people to join it again. A bit of a hassle, but much less so than making a third guild.
This seems like a better plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Kylra posted:

Split guild-locked workstations would be nice to have though. That won't stop them slaughtering farm animals, breaking furnaces, etc however.

If the furnaces are locked, it counts as property damage, right? At least they turn red in that case.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Kylra posted:

I think you overestimate goons. It was probably someone not closing doors. Jimlit, can you put a line about that at the very top of the op with sirens? It's getting old.

On that note, crafting at other people's bases is surprisingly safe. I think I've been hassled less while in the middle of burnt out ruins or people's random unlocked and unwalled outposts than I have in the main goon base so far.

I've updated the op, with the first rule and it applies to everyone.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

E: Nah.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 8, 2015

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

a slime posted:

If the furnaces are locked, it counts as property damage, right? At least they turn red in that case.

No. Any structure that doesn't have a 'broken' state can be destroyed with no criminal penalty. Included in this:

Workbenches
Countertops
System Tables
Furnaces
Campfires
Fences
Farm Plots
Unfinished Construction

Breaking any of those will never result in criminal time and will never turn you red. I probably missed a few but you get the idea.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I did some major testing yesterday and realized that the standard base is built to be aestically pleasing, but not functionally secure.

Perimeter arrow towers are not practical for clearing mobs off of walls or keeping reds out for one. Simply repairing stone walls is infinitely faster and more secure than stocking the 300+ arrows each tower will need per 12 hour period.

The real way to use arrow towers is to cluster them in groups of 3-5 right smack dab in the middle of housing. That way arrows are only used on theives trying to steal, and it will be too much effort to heal through. Basically 4 cabins and 4 towers in the center gaps would be one secure "unit".

Nothing else needs to be defended, period. Monsters need to be tanked, not killed when away.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Baldbeard posted:

I did some major testing yesterday and realized that the standard base is built to be aestically pleasing, but not functionally secure.

Perimeter arrow towers are not practical for clearing mobs off of walls or keeping reds out for one. Simply repairing stone walls is infinitely faster and more secure than stocking the 300+ arrows each tower will need per 12 hour period.

The real way to use arrow towers is to cluster them in groups of 3-5 right smack dab in the middle of housing. That way arrows are only used on theives trying to steal, and it will be too much effort to heal through. Basically 4 cabins and 4 towers in the center gaps would be one secure "unit".

Nothing else needs to be defended, period. Monsters need to be tanked, not killed when away.

This, is 100% correct. The only time I ever got dissuaded from breaking into a bases is when they had clustered towers.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

So should we do a bit of an expansion or make a next door place for the second guild? Collecting endless amounts of stone and feathers is keeping sane.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think keeping all the workshops open will make it the easiest. Double the workshops mean more walls and a larger base. We can't even finish the walls as they are now. People just need to have common sense to not leave their important crafting materials on the bench, even more so if people are running around the base.

When I was at the base last night the gates got left open multiple times, each time it being the islowtax side. The worst part is that only half the group can close the gate. Bet one time the games will be left open for a long time because of this.

I think the bottom line is don't leave poo poo on the workshops. Cool you don't want that poo poo, pick it up and dump in one of the cabins or your own.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

We are kinda stuck with the double guild hq and open workshops. Any additional guilds or bases will be individual with locked stations.

We just need to not be dumb and leave doors open, and leave yellows who get in alone. And I mean completely alone, just go elsewhere to craft until they get bored.

Half of my crafting is done in ruined buildings out in the wilderness anyways. The key is to not be a victim when you are being yellow-harassed and be productive elsewhere.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 8, 2015

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

We've done a lot of base building, both personal and communal, and learned a lot in the process. I think it's time now to focus on tech and gear.

We have a primary and secondary smith, carpenter, and tinker.

Now we need a secondary tailor. I'll pick it up if I can get material support. Lord knows I'm always on. Either way, this game is all about skills. We need to go back to funneling resources to crafters to stay ahead of the skills curve.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
I'm primarily leveling cooking. So far it's pretty worthless because cooked food doesn't stack, but it does restore satiety like nothing else. I can't find any proper info on cooking above 15, and I know it has recipes higher than that, so maybe I'll be able to make something amazing eventually.

Please don't toss meat (not small or rotten. Just meat) seeds, or veggies. Pretty much all of them are needed for leveling cooking. If you get any, toss them in the two cabins that have that stuff in it.

Also, fun fact, making the level 18 recipe for cooking requires Black Powder. Black Powder is a level 40 tinkering material.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 8, 2015

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Speaking of seeds, everybody in the guild should grind out 50 farming asap. Even if you have to gather the seeds yourself (the maneating plants drop ~2 seeds on average) it only takes about an hour. Every time you plant and harvest a seed you gain exactly one level of farming. The free stats help a ton.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I would like to invite the fishing tribe of swamp town to a fishin pact.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Tenzarin posted:

I would like to invite the fishing tribe of swamp town to a fishin pact.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i dont even know what a fishing pact is, i skipped over archeage because wowzers that thread

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Rafzakael posted:

i dont even know what a fishing pact is, i skipped over archeage because wowzers that thread

Also have we even fished once there? Bears agogo and plenty of half assed island kingdoms to raid is what keeps you fat out in Shrek's place.

e: nevermind, fishing pact joke wooshed right over my head

wit fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 8, 2015

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Everyone needs to keep in mind that no matter how elaborate our gate system is, people can still get into the base by random chance from a crash, or possibly glitching into them. I know I have seen at least one random fucker flying around, and I ended up inside a base from outside after a crash.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The vast majority is people just leaving the door open though. Keeping crashes in mind doesn't really do anything when 80% or more of the intrusions are from leaving the gate open.

I think it is time for a door pact.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
We have guild 3 and 4 be the gate keepers that only then can open the outer north and south gates. We need to create a website that they can go to run the time because the airlock should not open either side for 4 minutes once players are in it. This will stop ghosts from getting in.

We will be the first guild that sets up airlock decompression rules on the server.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Fishing is a total waste of time and resource right now because we have bears and they are better then fish in every way. The meat they drop is better then most of the cooking recipes and figuring the resource and time cooking take I'm really not sure its worth while to farm and cook. Right now I can make apple pie and it takes forever to cook and only provides 350 non stacking food, bear meat gives 250 cooked and stacks up to 30 I think. So unless they buff cooking or the only thing its good for is chicken feed for feathers.

As for the base I don't think we need to wall off our crafting station or guild hall next time. The only thing that really needs to be lock up good with stone walls and quad towers is the guild houses with the high end loot and mounts. Maybe another wood wall around our benches and furnaces.

The only thing disappointing in game so far out side of the bugs is the PVP combat. Its to hard to hit people and they can heal up to full instantly every two seconds. I was chasing a red they was naked, no bandages or water and it still took forever. I had a iron sword and stone arrows.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
If the auz cabins fall apart, maybe we should restructure the main base to have the cabins centralized and move the towers in too?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So crafting stations out, more cabins in, and we finally make another outer wall?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

If the stone walls haven't been completed, then we should do that -- otherwise we are pretty well off. We don't need to be obsessive about our HQ. Besides, we can't even use towers because towers shoot all reds indiscriminately. Beyond layering our walls and installing stone gates, our current base is basically maxed out.

More than anything, we need to start gearing out our members.

Suzera is grinding up blacksmithing now, we should be dumping all extra iron sculptures and charcoal on her.
Jaro is high blacksmithing already, so if you need a good weapon made, then give those mats to him.

Raf is working sewing, so he could use linen and worked leather.
Auzuguru(sp?) is high sewing, but current MIA.
Bighead can make mithril arrows now with carpentry, so I need feathers. I don't need the arrows, so people can use them for their bows.

The ultimate goon service is to partner up with one of these losers and help gather mats with them specifically to raise their prospective crafts.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 9, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
If you donate a chicken or two to Avacado later tonight when I'm off work, I'll farm chicken feed for feathers.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
It's Dodgin from TS. 38 Sewing, I'll make you things. Post requests. Also backpacks. 45 tinker, 49 carp

*on the condition that <MostlyHarmless> and goons rear end slap a little and don't wreck each other.

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 9, 2015

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

FireWhizzle posted:

*on the condition that <MostlyHarmless> and goons rear end slap a little and don't wreck each other.

Is Hubbel still playing with you guys? I have yet to see him in game but look forward to finding creative ways of telling him he looks like he has downs syndrome. I hope I haven't missed an opportunity to do this.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

the moose posted:

Fishing is a total waste of time and resource right now

haha no

Bears give the same amount of leather and oils and meats as whales, sure, but you actually have to go places and hunt them down, meanwhile I can sit in one spot with 20 rods and fill up my inventory/houses from my base

i mean, if you're roaming or whatever already looking for something else, sure, kill some bears, but i'm p sure i can collect leathers/oils/meats faster

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Someone left the gates open and some DarkFall guy got in and he's destroying everything. He's completely naked and he's not leaving and he won't stop.

I have a feeling he's going to create another character just so he has a character in our base so he'll destroy it over and over. Might want to consider moving. loving broken mechanics.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Double post

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

*logs in and sees darkfall breaking cabins*

*logs out*

If the arrow towers were locked and I wasn't red I'd toss some arrows in them and be done with it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Someone left the gates open and

If only someone had mentioned keeping the gates closed.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Regarding sewing: I need lots of wooden rulers (or firewood to make my own). Please consider donating it so I can powerlevel through the 10s.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Someone left the gates open
:allears:

He's completely naked and he's not leaving and he won't stop.
This sounds like a 911 call.

Might want to consider moving.
Nah mate. Know why that area is so hosed up? Because we are there. In fact I'm sure every other settlement in the area is saying the same thing. Except about us.

Anyway, if you want to annoy darkfall, try and herd up some pubbies to build up close to their base. Last night we were told that they've been "evicting" other settlements near them because too many people in an area brings too many zombies around their base and wastes their arrows. Or, gently caress it, go red and do the same thing in their base.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

wit posted:

Or, gently caress it, go red and do the same thing in their base.

I'm considering doing this. My skills are garbage at the moment, anyway. If nothing else, I could just delete this character and make a new one, right?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

If someone can give me the cords to their base I'd be most happy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
why did we need 2 guilds again when we barely have 1 guild online?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

why did we need 2 guilds again when we barely have 1 guild online?

20 player limit per guild
it sucks waiting for someone to open doors for you

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

20 player limit per guild
it sucks waiting for someone to open doors for you

It sucks that you can't build two identical forts side by side for each guild.

It's kind of funny, literally everything but a few buildings are completely broken now. It seems like they should really consider making fists do no damage or like, 1 damage to structures and make weapons that do increased damage to buildings or something. As it stands you can punch an arrow tower down in like 40 seconds.

Hell, if they had a spawning system set up where when you die, you either spawn back at your shack/cabin/boat release point would do wonders. As it is, you can run around red inside a base, get killed and just respawn immediately and keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Before I got off I pretty much did the same thing to jckc's base and tha majority of his clans poo poo too. We just need to start giving it back to them.

• Locked thread