Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

No Fun Allowed.

To be fair I can see how an anime Galactus Girl would rub a guy in the business as long as Brevoort the wrong way, and her design was pretty insufferable in that moe way. Not the worst concept ever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

She's a deviantart character come to life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

She's a deviantart character come to life.

Well, you are too. So glass houses and all that poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Well, you are too. So glass houses and all that poo poo.

Look I get that you have some kind of problem with me, possibly because I remind you of whoever beat you as a child, but you could at least use insults that make sense.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

In every possible reality, Doom is the baddest motherfucker.

Come to think of it, this is from that thing where Doom met the Panther God of Wakanda and claimed that every possible future was a disaster except for the one where he ruled, right?

At the time I'd figured that it was shaped by Doom's own perception, be it that he saw good futures as being failures due to a lack of Doom, or that he was unable to see his own ideal future as the dystopia that it was. But in light of the events of Convergence/Battleworld/etc, isn't it now a nod to a world he rules being the only universe to survive?

Doom was right in the end.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Where can I read more about whatever the hell is going on with "battle world" and doom in a white cloak?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

Where can I read more about whatever the hell is going on with "battle world" and doom in a white cloak?
A little indie rag called Secret Wars.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

redbackground posted:

A little indie rag called Secret Wars.

No as in where can I read a synopsis, I wouldn't get it for a little while in the UK anyway.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

No as in where can I read a synopsis, I wouldn't get it for a little while in the UK anyway.
Wikipedia, of course.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Josef bugman posted:

I thought the UK got big 2 comics like only a day later then the US.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I assume comixology is also available

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That's a bit much. Before recent years, he only got smacked around like once a decade. Unless you count that time in the 90s where his skull fell to earth to herald the arrival of some SUPER AWESOME villain.

Well, who was the villain?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't recall for the life of me. I'm sure he was really cool, though.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Lurdiak posted:

I don't recall for the life of me. I'm sure he was really cool, though.

How could you forget the timeless character of Abraxas! http://marvel.com/universe/Abraxas

I remember enjoying Loeb/Pacheco's FF, but part of that might just be due to it following an awful Claremont run.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Josef bugman posted:

What are you talking about? I'm in the UK and books are released the same day here.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Doesn't a tiny Ares fly a tiny bomb down his throat during Bendis' Avengers?

Man never mind Galacta, when are they bringing Ares back?

Have they got some kind of black-list of characters Bendis took into New Avengers, like Ares and Sentry and ... well Ronin was just like, Clint in a new suit, right? But still I want Ares back, man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Have they got some kind of black-list of characters Bendis took into New Avengers, like Ares and Sentry and ... well Ronin was just like, Clint in a new suit, right? But still I want Ares back, man.

Ronin was originally Echo, I believe. I think all those characters were killed by Bendis himself though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Ronin came back! Then Blade took off the mask and went back to just being Blade.

VVV: I know what you meant. I was being facetious.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 9, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Ronin came back! Then Blade took off the mask and went back to just being Blade.

I meant Bendis killed Echo, in addition to the other two mentioned. But Blade should have stuck around as the "Stupendous Spider-Person" or whatever that cheap knock off Spider-Man costume was called.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
With one hand, remove the Ronin mask, with the other place the brown paper bag over his head.

A new legend is born.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Tavarin posted:

How could you forget the timeless character of Abraxas! http://marvel.com/universe/Abraxas

I love how the solution to the problem was "This thing is so powerful it can curbstomp a whole bunch of other Galactus! (Which conveniently doesn't release a whole bunch of other Abraxas', there's just one in the Marvel prime universe, gee that makes things easier). What do we do?" "Why, use the Ultimate Nullifier to blow up the whole universe! This will somehow reset existence so everything else is fine but there's no Abraxas!"

...COMICS!

IIRC, Mark Miller's terrible run with the Marquis of Death did the same thing with "Crap, here's the corpse of an alternate Watcher! This is ONE BAAD DUDE!". And then they went and killed the canon Watcher anyway a few years later.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I meant Bendis killed Echo, in addition to the other two mentioned.

I love how Echo's entire history is one of readers not caring about the character and hoping she was someone else. Then she died during the most boring Moon Knight run ever and we were supposed to suddenly care a LOT!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Doesn't a tiny Ares fly a tiny bomb down his throat during Bendis' Avengers?

He flew in a virus that was written with code from a Commodore 64, which meant it wasn't something Ultron would know about. :rolleye:

Nilbop posted:

I really liked it when they killed Phobos in Secret Warriors, and he woke up somewhere else (the Elysian Fields, maybe), where his dad explained how god-death works, and it was really nice. :3:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I love how Echo's entire history is one of readers not caring about the character and hoping she was someone else. Then she died during the most boring Moon Knight run ever and we were supposed to suddenly care a LOT!

I think it's the unfortunate side effect of her being a character that up until very recently had no chance in hell of a solo run (a Native American deaf woman?) but her disability/power makes it super difficult to include her in the team books that seem like a natural slot for her. You can't have her in the Avengers because she can't read lips during big actions scenes (or with Spider-Man or Iron Man), so she can't banter with the rest of the team.

This may just be me, because I really liked her in Daredevil, and was pretty pleasantly surprised when they 'had' to do the bait-and-switch in New Avengers.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lurdiak posted:

I actually liked that Moon Knight run with how the craziness was personified but yeah she went out like a chump.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like Bendis' moonknight run because of how transparently it tried to piggyback off Wolverine and Spider-mans popularity without them even appearing in the books.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Annie Wu!

Clack Canary 1

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Reminds me of the Red Panel.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Why is she apologizing to the people she's saving? I think I'm missing something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's a running thing apparently, that she wrecks every venue they play a gig at. (The rescue-ees are Dinah's bandmates)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

It's a running thing apparently, that she wrecks every venue they play a gig at. (The rescue-ees are Dinah's bandmates)

Yeah, she promised them no more fighting and no more destruction.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm failing to see how its her fault, considering the goo-skeleton things came looking for her and not her going out picking the fight.

Or is this another one of those settings where people go "gently caress you <hero> for fighting" and if they don't, they get "gently caress you <hero> for not doing anything" and there's no winning?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Her band keeps not getting paid because the fights she gets into causes so much damage. She is about to use her sonic scream to defeat some dudes and that is going to wreck the establishment. It turns out there are some other pages in that book that contextualize the scene.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I mean, it's one issue so far, but it seems to be that they don't really know her past or that she's a superhero (yet she's touring with a successful band) (but they also don't know why their guitarist can't speak or even if she's mute), so they think it's her starting the fights.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, the aliens are actually after the lead guitarist, not her.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Overthinking this guys.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm failing to see how its her fault, considering the goo-skeleton things came looking for her and not her going out picking the fight.

Or is this another one of those settings where people go "gently caress you <hero> for fighting" and if they don't, they get "gently caress you <hero> for not doing anything" and there's no winning?

It's a loving goof, it's supposed to be funny, christ

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Flesh Forge posted:

Overthinking this guys.

comic_fans.txt

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

zoux posted:

I know this was already answered, but I wanted to yell ONSLAUGHT as soon as I read this. They somehow managed to create a character that is even more try-hard than Onslaught, and they named it after that one creepy movie with Jesse Ventura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do the writers actually call that move a "sonic scream" because that's pretty ridiculous.

LOOK OUT! MY LIGHT VISION TELLS ME THAT HE HAS A BULLET GUN