Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

First things first: Can you somehow get them open with a lockpick or crowbar? That might be much safer.

But as far as I know, gun stores and some rooms in labs are the only remaining bastions of Robot Law in the apocalypse.

I tried my improvised picklocks (why does this game call them picklocks? Every other media I've ever seen calls them lockpicks) and my crowbar already, neither recognized the cases as viable pick / pry targets.

Sage Grimm posted:

Nah, first comes the cam bots to scope the area and take selfies with any ruffians. Then come the riot bots to hose everything down with gas and tazers.

Thanks, I stole everything. I didn't see any robots. I DID however set off an alarm in a pharmacy, but I scarpered immediately, so maybe pharmacies don't summon robots, they just make a racket that attracts zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

IIRC everything that sets off an alarm does attract cambots, but they don't appear immediately, it takes time for them to show up, but I'm not sure how long.

e: Yeah, it takes on the order of what looks like 2 hours at least for eyebots to show up. You should be long gone by that point.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 9, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If you play as a detective, cop, or Robocop, the eyebots acknowledge you as the responding officer and you can steal, I mean uh, catalogue as evidence, anything you want :haw:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

TheBlandName posted:

As far as I can tell tin cans preserve their contents forever. Before the game checks to see if food needs to rot, the game checks if the food is in a container with the "preserves" tag, like a tin can. If the food is in a tin the game updates the food's last rot check to the current game time, so the actual rot check gets skipped.

The food in tin cans still displays as blue because technically it's a perishable product that can rot, but as long as you don't remove it from the can it will stay fresh.

That's pretty awesome and a bit of a relief.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you play as a detective, cop, or Robocop, the eyebots acknowledge you as the responding officer and you can steal, I mean uh, catalogue as evidence, anything you want :haw:

Can you do something similar with a deputy's badge? I found one in a police station and figure wearing it might help with that sort of thing.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I found a hospital. What sort of neato stuff can you find there?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Go deep enough and you'll find some nice heavy drugs like morphine, but you'll have to fend off a lot of former patients/nurses/doctors.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Artificer posted:

You can hack a computer to inject yourself with stem cells, which gives you superpowers at best, turning your bones to rubber temporarily so they get fixed.

Also drugs. The good stuff.

Occasionally, recipe books for mutagen.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Hospitals are a fantastic place to scrounge up those hard-to-find negative trait management drugs - puffers, Xanax, Thorazine, and so on. You've got to fight through a large number of nasties to get to them, though.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
In addition to the bone machine and the drugs hospitals are the only place I've been able to reliably come upon a stethoscope for safecracking.

Darkled
Aug 15, 2009
[quote="Mzbundifund" post="446328796"]
I tried my improvised pick-locks (why does this game call them pick-locks? Every other media I've ever seen calls them lock-picks) and my crowbar already, neither recognized the cases as viable pick / pry targets.

Ill see if I can get it changed to lock-picks because that bugs me as well. Probably sneak it in like a dirty senator with a bug fix :P

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

TheBlandName posted:

As far as I can tell tin cans preserve their contents forever. Before the game checks to see if food needs to rot, the game checks if the food is in a container with the "preserves" tag, like a tin can. If the food is in a tin the game updates the food's last rot check to the current game time, so the actual rot check gets skipped.

The food in tin cans still displays as blue because technically it's a perishable product that can rot, but as long as you don't remove it from the can it will stay fresh.

On the one hand this is going to make stocking up a whole lot easier in the future, on the other hand I am horrified for all the effectively non-perishable food I blithely scarfed down while going through the laborious process of getting a charcoal kiln and smoker set up to stockpile smoked squirrel.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tehan posted:

On the one hand this is going to make stocking up a whole lot easier in the future, on the other hand I am horrified for all the effectively non-perishable food I blithely scarfed down while going through the laborious process of getting a charcoal kiln and smoker set up to stockpile smoked squirrel.

How did you even get enough squirrel to have anything worth stockpiling?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What's the fastest way to get a non-smoking cooking place going?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

finding a hotplate in a town.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Fat Samurai posted:

-Make a fireplace with a lot of rocks.
-Drag a metal pizza oven from a pizza place
-Hotplates, mess kits
-Lots of glass jars if you want to make preserves
-Chemistry sets incidentally also include hotplates
-Various food preservation gear (vacuum sealer, food dehydrator)
-FOODCO kitchen buddy makes dehydrating lots of food very easy; you'll need mechanics, some books, and a car with battery power, no stove built-in though
-Vehicle mounted chemistry sets let you use the hotplate to cook, set one up on a hotdog stand with a solar panel and stuff a pot in the built-in drawer, done. Kitchen units obsolete.
-Integrated toolset CBM lets you cook and weld with your fingertips; you'll still need to carry a pot or something to cook with.

Also, if you need fuel, fire a bullet, pick up the shell casing it leaves behind, drop it in your fireplace and enjoy having a burnable object that doesn't burn up.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 9, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

nftyw posted:

-Make a fireplace with a lot of rocks.
-Drag a metal pizza oven from a pizza place
-Hotplates, mess kits
-Lots of glass jars if you want to make preserves
-Chemistry sets incidentally also include hotplates
-Various food preservation gear (vacuum sealer, food dehydrator)
-FOODCO kitchen buddy makes dehydrating lots of food very easy; you'll need mechanics, some books, and a car with battery power, no stove built-in though
-Vehicle mounted chemistry sets let you use the hotplate to cook, set one up on a hotdog stand with a solar panel and stuff a pot in the built-in drawer, done. Kitchen units obsolete.
-Integrated toolset CBM lets you cook and weld with your fingertips; you'll still need to carry a pot or something to cook with.

Also, if you need fuel, fire a bullet, pick up the shell casing it leaves behind, drop it in your fireplace and enjoy having a burnable object that doesn't burn up.

Uh. What. Wait really? No more sudden realization that you need a skewer or something? How long does the fire last?

How long does fire last anyways? I've had multiple piles of different sized fuel and they've generally never lasted past 1 thing cooked, or went out and I still managed to cook whatever it was. What's up with that?

Edit: Also holy poo poo I am looting a pizza place gently caress yes. Anyone know a good place to get loads of rocks?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Artificer posted:

How did you even get enough squirrel to have anything worth stockpiling?

If you hit something hard enough to gib it, you get more meat from a single varmint from picking up the meat gibs. Sledgehammer hunting is best hunting.

e: I find the most efficient way to cook is to rip some solar panels and batteries off electric cars and the kitchen unit out of an RV and weld together a solar kitchen outside my base, and set up a funnel + gallon jug combo next to it. Beats endlessly searching for more batteries or hoping to find and successfully install an integrated toolset and a non-battery system power source.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 9, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Usually I find it's enough time to cook 3 pieces of meat before it goes out. Usually if I find I really need rocks I just go out in the fields and gather them up, though if you find a jackhammer or pickaxe you can go busting walls apart in a basement or sewer for rocks. Once I ran into a flaming eye in town and its wall-destroying eye beams also tore up the road it was hovering over, leaving behind tons of rocks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

nftyw posted:

Usually I find it's enough time to cook 3 pieces of meat before it goes out. Usually if I find I really need rocks I just go out in the fields and gather them up, though if you find a jackhammer or pickaxe you can go busting walls apart in a basement or sewer for rocks. Once I ran into a flaming eye in town and its wall-destroying eye beams also tore up the road it was hovering over, leaving behind tons of rocks.

Using b to batch-craft multiple items seems to let you do as many as you want. Even if it's raining and the fire is going out after five turns, you can complete any size batch of food as long as the fire is on when you start crafting.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tehan posted:

If you hit something hard enough to gib it, you get more meat from a single varmint from picking up the meat gibs. Sledgehammer hunting is best hunting.

e: I find the most efficient way to cook is to rip some solar panels and batteries off electric cars and the kitchen unit out of an RV and weld together a solar kitchen outside my base, and set up a funnel + gallon jug combo next to it. Beats endlessly searching for more batteries or hoping to find and successfully install an integrated toolset and a non-battery system power source.

You caught squirrels with a sledgehammer?

Also drat uhh... I don't think it's possible to remove/rebuild/deconstruct fireplaces. I think they literally count as terrain once they set down.

Or maybe it may be because my character's construction is low enough that he literally can't figure out how.

Edit: Methinks a wood stove is the same as a fireplace, is it not? Just with different materials?

Edit: Oh poo poo it's even harder. gently caress. :v:

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 9, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
A wood stove is a fireplace that you can grab and move around. If you have enough strength most pizza joints use wood fired ovens that you can drag out of the storefront and over to your base.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So I hear you can drop a bunch of stuff really quickly if you somehow drop a worn container and stuff equal to its volume at the same time, but how do you do that? Going to the advanced inventory moving menu thing doesn't let me pick multiple things at the same time and doing it through multidrop doesn't seem to work at all. Dropping a briefcase I'm holding takes like 12 in-game seconds and dropping a briefcase +20 volume of random poo poo at the same time takes long enough for the tough zombie across the room to charge me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

While this isn't actually an answer to your question, I thought briefcases only gave you hand encumbrance, which does not in fact give the expected penalty to melee combat. Just ranged, I think.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

While this isn't actually an answer to your question, I thought briefcases only gave you hand encumbrance, which does not in fact give the expected penalty to melee combat. Just ranged, I think.

Yeah that's why I'm so used to packing around briefcases but I updated to the latest experimental and it says now that hand encumbrance gives a melee speed penalty now, and I don't think it used to say that but I might be forgetting.

In any case, it would still be nice to know to throw off backpacks for melee/drop hand containers for ranged.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tyskil posted:

In any case, it would still be nice to know to throw off backpacks for melee/drop hand containers for ranged.

Backpacks having the same mechanics as sheaths (activate the backpack to put stuff in/out) would be neat, but I have no idea of how possible or how annoying it would be.

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008
Still taking monster suggestions? Because I am very disappointed at the lack of monsters in storage items, mimics, and that window you crawled through actually being a portal to the elemental plane of bees.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

girth brooks part 2 posted:

EDIT: Also be wary when using a steel spear, because it has the impale trait. When it triggers your spear becomes basically impossible to hold on to even if you've become a drug addled cyber mutant Kilik.

Serious? I've been using a steel spear in the latest experimental with 2 to 4 melee skill and haven't had the stuck weapon problem once on a 14 strength character. If anything I've found piercing weapons have become much more reliable than before with far fewer stuck weapons.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Arm encumbrance lowers accuracy, hand increases reload time. So far I've not seen any penalties to melee or other "manual tasks" despite what the text says. That said do not try to reload a gun when you've got two bindles in hand and something is trying to kill you.

Artificer posted:

Boomers mostly. For some reason it spawns boomers more than anything else.

ro5s posted:

Can you do something similar with a deputy's badge? I found one in a police station and figure wearing it might help with that sort of thing.

You can use it in an NPC quest and I think it counts as stylish for the one trait? Honestly if you're not blinged out with every piece of jewelry etc. you have access to you are not playing the game right.

Mzbundifund posted:

Question: Will smashing the display cases in this electronics store bring down the cold steel fist of Robot Law on me? If so, how dangerous is it? I am armed with a machete, longbow, two Molotov cocktails, and two homemade grenades, but I have never thrown a single object in my life, so I will probably blow myself up if I try to use those. My dodge skill is poo poo, and I am defended solely by leather-reinforced ordinary clothes.

As far as I'm aware only computers, vending machines, doors and windows can be alarmed.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

How slowly does dodge train up? I noticed that a zombie child was missing my level 1 dodge a lot but it was slowly bringing up experience. If that's normally how slow it goes then I might stay here and dance with the children for a while just to cheese it.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
That's how I do it. You'll notice after a certain level it stops giving you experience, meaning you'll need to dance with tougher creatures.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

rear end-Haggis posted:

That's how I do it. You'll notice after a certain level it stops giving you experience, meaning you'll need to dance with tougher creatures.

That's pretty great. Thanks!

I just tried the wood stove trick with a .223 shell casing in it but it didn't seem to light on fire. Maybe they patched it out? At least that particular casing doesn't work anymore.

The wood stove was quite an adventure though. I didn't know dragging something without wheels was so difficult. Had to frantically drop stuff to fight a Krek, then a Feral Hunter, and ran through a Bloated Boomer (thank God for gas masks) to get to safety. Also a fat zombie on my way in. I saw a shocker coming my way too but I managed to get away far enough I think for him to not follow me. Night time raiding is tense as gently caress.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 9, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

CheeseThief posted:

Serious? I've been using a steel spear in the latest experimental with 2 to 4 melee skill and haven't had the stuck weapon problem once on a 14 strength character. If anything I've found piercing weapons have become much more reliable than before with far fewer stuck weapons.

Maybe they toned it down recently, but the last time I had a character using spear weapons I was having to pick up my steel spear at least once or twice anytime I fought a decent sized or tightly packed group of zombies. The character had fairly respectable stats and skills, so I don't think it was just that. This was probably a month or two ago though.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
In earlier versions it was possible to train dodging indefinitely by blocking attacks. It was also possible to block attacks in your sleep. The fastest way to train dodging was to take a nap in a basement with two or three sewer rats with a pipe equipped and wake up a melee master. Although I can't remember if this also trained the melee skill.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

rear end-Haggis posted:

If you encumber your torso to bring down your dodge skill can you keep dodging the same critters?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

If you encumber your torso to bring down your dodge skill can you keep dodging the same critters?

Try and report back :getin:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Maybe they toned it down recently, but the last time I had a character using spear weapons I was having to pick up my steel spear at least once or twice anytime I fought a decent sized or tightly packed group of zombies. The character had fairly respectable stats and skills, so I don't think it was just that. This was probably a month or two ago though.

It's still this way in stable. Last character I had using a spear, I would keep going to check my inventory and find that I didn't have my spear equipped, and it wasn't in my inventory. I had kept getting my spear stuck in enemies back in town and running away without even noticing I had lost it. I managed to recover it the first few times but I totally lost my first one and that was enough to make me stop using my spare.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's more likely to get stuck the closer the enemy is to you, so just stand a tile away and mash F

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

No, actually. Your skills change how many dice you roll on a check. Encumbrance penalties to skill reduce the size of those dice.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
I've been raiding my first lab, and I've found fucktons of bionics. I successfully installed a Power Storage CBM (4% failure), but everything else has a failure rate of 17%+, which seems like a bad gamble. I have 11 int and 6 skill in electronics, first aid, and mechanics.

I've raided 2 libraries (and there are no mansions so far), but I haven't found anything to advance any of those skills further. I'm not sure I can do much about my Int, either. I have the Addictive Personality trait. Is it worth doing meth even once? Is there a good way to exercise electronics from 6?

I'm also not sure what I should do about power supply. I have ethanol burner, battery system, internal furnace, solar panels, and joint torsion racket. The wiki implies that there's no limit to the number of bionics you can install, apart from having issues with letter assignments. Does that only apply to active mods? Is there any reason I shouldn't immediately install every power storage CBM I find?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
There's literally no reason to not install every power storage CBM you find. Go for it.

As far as I know there's no chance of getting addicted to anything on the first dose within a certain amount of time, and honestly even with addictive personality addictions aren't that strong unless you keep using. At which point you start taking longer to get clean and the effects seem to be worse. It's a good idea to keep a lot of different stimulants on hand for when you want to install bionics. Meth, coke, crack, caffeine, sugar, and nicotine all stack and that's usually how I handle installing bionics.

Lastly it's worth noting that if you're failure chance is less than 20% you won't do yourself any permanent damage. Just be sure you can handle a bit of damage to any of your body parts.