Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Progressive JPEG posted:

ive heard of a lot of oss people say qt is better than gtk, and as someone whos had to deal with qt before, jfc thats gotta be a loving low bar

at least Qt doesn't try to be objects while refusing to adopt an OO language (even if they picked C++ instead of something nicer)

all of this poo poo would've been way better if instead of wasting time on this gnome and kde garbage, "free software" people had just put that effort into GNUstep. the basics worked as of late 1996 or so.

(never mind all the idiots who were confused by WindowMaker. "GNUstep? yeah, I use WindowMaker!" one is a set of frameworks and the other is a window manager. dumbasses.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Finally, we will see an incredible wave of Linux developers once the newly open-sourced Swift 2.0 arrives to save us from our existing broken desktop paradigms.

Is Apple going to actually release binaries? Will they be for Red Hat or Ubuntu? Or will we have distributors releasing their own bespoke compiled versions of the codebase, thus having insane megapatches with features and bugs in one distribution and not the other?

FAKE EDIT: no, no one uses debian, they all use ubuntu

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

has it been open-sourced yet?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I find it funny how they don't mention a windows port. Not like it couldn't happen (what with the open sourcing) but they don't want to dedicate any resources to it. I guess Microsoft will just have to shrug and do it themselves? (or maybe a bunch of nerds will do it for them, for free)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think llvm doesn't really interop on Windows with stuff like debug info, so it would probably be a lot more work.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

at least Qt doesn't try to be objects while refusing to adopt an OO language (even if they picked C++ instead of something nicer)

all of this poo poo would've been way better if instead of wasting time on this gnome and kde garbage, "free software" people had just put that effort into GNUstep. the basics worked as of late 1996 or so.

(never mind all the idiots who were confused by WindowMaker. "GNUstep? yeah, I use WindowMaker!" one is a set of frameworks and the other is a window manager. dumbasses.)

ok, let's pick objective-c, that one language that even apple doesn't want you to write anymore

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Suspicious Dish posted:

For reference the screen shield was going to have more things and be more useful in general but it hasn't worked out that way. We're looking at removing it in the next version

I thought susdish left the gnome cabal for the siren call of silicon valley. Will these delicious gnome changes only be found in your endless computing embedded desktop device?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Subjunctive posted:

has it been open-sourced yet?

TFA posted:

Apple will be making Swift open source later this year.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
is linux on the desktop for peasants really 'silicon valley'

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I think llvm doesn't really interop on Windows with stuff like debug info, so it would probably be a lot more work.

there has been a lot of work going on to get lldb working under windows to debug clang generated executables.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

ive heard of a lot of oss people say qt is better than gtk, and as someone whos had to deal with qt before, jfc thats gotta be a loving low bar

qt is everything and the kitchen sink. a platform independent widget library, an application framework, a language of its own, it even has a webkit widget for html stuff

gtk is a really nice way to paint some widgets on the screen, and that's it. gtk is a motif replacement. modern app authors expect way the gently caress more than "a better motif"

gnome is supposed to provide a lot more to app authors than just gtk. hosed if i know what it actually succeeds at

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

celeron 300a posted:

Finally, we will see an incredible wave of Linux developers once the newly open-sourced Swift 2.0 arrives to save us from our existing broken desktop paradigms.

gtk# and java-gnome both died on the vine because people didn't trust large vendors

i don't foresee swift being the next big thing in the linux desktop

pram
Jun 10, 2001
swift would be better than vala or w/e that bullgarbage is

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

swift would be better than vala or w/e that bullgarbage is

gtk# and java-gnome were better than vala before vala even existed

platform quality does not appear to be important to adoption

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

celeron 300a posted:

I thought susdish left the gnome cabal for the siren call of silicon valley. Will these delicious gnome changes only be found in your endless computing embedded desktop device?

endless already removed the screen shield like two years ago

i'm a bit less involved with gnome these days, yes, but i'm still around in it, and i'm still trying to push for the right things

Crushable Object
Oct 28, 2010
Crush responsibly.
so hey i live cd'd fedora 22 to see if it was tolerable and i lasted about ten minutes till i slid the mouse sensitivity all the way to the right and poo poo was still too darn slow and literally unusable so i rebooted and deleted the iso because poop garbage

that's my linux story ok thx bai

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The_Franz posted:

there has been a lot of work going on to get lldb working under windows to debug clang generated executables.

and a lot of work to make clang be a drop-in replacement for cl.exe, both source and ABI.

SEH is still being actively implemented, though

Crushable Object posted:

so hey i live cd'd fedora 22 to see if it was tolerable and i lasted about ten minutes till i slid the mouse sensitivity all the way to the right and poo poo was still too darn slow and literally unusable so i rebooted and deleted the iso because poop garbage

the old input driver (evdev) was replaced with libinput, which attempts to move/reimplement a bunch of the input logic in a shared library that can also be used by Wayland; one of the goals is DPI-independent mouse acceleration (i.e. a low-res mouse and a high-res gaming mouse both behave the same given the same acceleration parameters), but the current result is acceleration being useless.

in a non-live CD install you can just remove the libinput driver and it'll go back to using evdev instead

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with libinput but I definitely had to adjust acceleration params in the Settings panels. Peter is still working on fixing it and it gets better with every version bump.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The_Franz posted:

yeah, that's great if you have everything built with clang, which nobody does.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with libinput but I definitely had to adjust acceleration params in the Settings panels. Peter is still working on fixing it and it gets better with every version bump.
the short answer is that unless you have a hwdb entry specifying otherwise, libinput assumes the DPI is 1000

it will never use what the hardware itself reports, because the hardware tells lies

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Crushable Object posted:

oh i see this too except the acceleration is too much even if you slam it all the way to the left, breathe on the mouse and the cursor moves like 5 pixels

really fun in that light: the 1 pixel wide targets gnome uses for growing/shrinking windows from their edges

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BobHoward posted:

oh i see this too except the acceleration is too much even if you slam it all the way to the left, breathe on the mouse and the cursor moves like 5 pixels

really fun in that light: the 1 pixel wide targets gnome uses for growing/shrinking windows from their edges

yeah my current complaints about the linux desktop experience are 99% related to this.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Suspicious Dish posted:

practically all my complaints with desktop linux boil down to this kind of thing: something that works fine in practice being replaced with something that's doubtless better in theory, but is broken as gently caress right now

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

has anyone said cadt method yet

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

sounds good johnson, ship it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

we have had invisible borders for ages now -- i wrote them for like 3.4 or so? it should be a 10px border default i believe

is something going wrong there?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Every major distro will have its own default setting, because some guy in charge likes it that way. It's dumb, but that's how it often works.

I.e., I Personally completely disable window borders for myself, since alt exists and there's never too much screen real-estate :v:

(I wouldn't force that on people who'd use my distro if I had one, but maybe that's also why I don't have one?)

e: Oops, I misunderstood your post, never mind me :cripes:

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 9, 2015

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

we have had invisible borders for ages now -- i wrote them for like 3.4 or so? it should be a 10px border default i believe

It's definitely more than 1px but it needs to be two or three times whatever it is now (given the sensitivity issues). If I want to drag a window with the touchpad, I have to plant my finger in place and then slowly roll it over the border. I think this is a symptom of the sensitivity than the border being too small, though.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 9, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
see what

$ gsettings get org.gnome.mutter draggable-border-width

says

and then try increasing it to something like

$ gsettings set org.gnome.mutter draggable-border-width 30

does that work?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

see what

$ gsettings get org.gnome.mutter draggable-border-width

says

and then try increasing it to something like

$ gsettings set org.gnome.mutter draggable-border-width 30

does that work?

it was 10, now it's 30 and it's way better. thanks dude.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

idk it's just w/e the defaults are on fedora 17 (i know i mentioned 21 before but that was a failed attempt to be more current, we had to roll everything back to 17 after experiencing some serious problems)

if i get a chance i'll look at the settings you mentioned

also i actually wasn't hyperbolizing, p. sure for me it's working like a 1px wide target. the corners are better but the edges are horrible

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it was 10, now it's 30 and it's way better. thanks dude.

The system works!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

idk it's just w/e the defaults are on fedora 17 (i know i mentioned 21 before but that was a failed attempt to be more current, we had to roll everything back to 17 after experiencing some serious problems)

if i get a chance i'll look at the settings you mentioned

also i actually wasn't hyperbolizing, p. sure for me it's working like a 1px wide target. the corners are better but the edges are horrible

for reference it's working absolutely fine for me on fedora 22 and i haven't had any issues with it. i wrote that code, too.

please let me know if you have things like a hidpi display or a touchscreen any other weird things because there should not be tiny 1px wide borders

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

is CentOS still the sensible Red Hat based distribution?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
use oracle linux -giant ethereal larry ellison head

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

for reference it's working absolutely fine for me on fedora 22 and i haven't had any issues with it. i wrote that code, too.

please let me know if you have things like a hidpi display or a touchscreen any other weird things because there should not be tiny 1px wide borders

no hidpi, no touchscreen. (today. there will be a touchscreen at some undefined point in the future. we're making a lab instrument with a PC motherboard as the brains; today's version lacks the touchscreen because it is thoroughly alpha status.)

the setting was configured at 10 and changing it to even 50 does nothing I'm afraid

I should add that it might not be totes generic defaults as we use an imaging process to install and maybe the person who created our standard image did things (though I kinda doubt they messed with anything in this area)

the one thing which is conceivably possible is that the OS image might have been configured to accept touchscreen input as well as mouse because there are one or two of us who experiment with the touchscreens under consideration for future versions of the instrument. however there is def no ts connected to the many machines I've experienced this on

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
do you know if the application uses standard server-side decorations or if it is doing its own thing? from the custom setup you described it sounds like the app is skipping wm decorations, in which case there's not much the wm can do

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

axolotl farmer posted:

is CentOS still the sensible Red Hat based distribution?

yes but patches take longer than the vendor for obvious reasons. the biggest problem i've had with this was the recent openssl thing

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Why isn't there a year of Linux on the compute server thread? I need to ask opinions about OpenSuSE. Can I just pretend it's for desktop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

because that was 1998