Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr. Horrible posted:

I'm almost done with season 2 of Voyager and I really do not get all the hate. As others have pointed out, every show has its bad episodes.

Misogyny, Mr. Horrible. Trek nerds were never able to accept a female captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
wait vegetables are poop?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: I think a full war plot was on the "can't do" list, too.

This one makes sense because it wouldn't leave much room for TNG to do it's own thing, since it would be weird for Enterprise to ditch Space War III for weeks to go look at supernovas or whatever.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Fetus Tree posted:

Everything is reconstituted poo poo.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
"Ok everybody, cameras rolling and 3..2..1..BAM!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

counterfeitsaint posted:

To be fair, the distance from Bajor thing was really bullshit. A starship can clear a star system in minutes on impulse, but Bajoran shuttle service? Three hours.

Eh. It's not that baffling to me that a local low-cost ferry is going to be a bit pokier than a high-performance starship that has to be able to interdict marauding Romulans or whatever.

Entropic posted:

No technology or ability mentioned in a given Star Trek episode ever has any applications outside of that episode. That's just how it works. Oh yeah, we figured out how to use transporters for immortality once, and there was that time we made a gun with a built-in mini-transporter and x-ray scope that can shoot through walls. Nah, we never wrote any of that down, we just kinda forgot about it.

This isn't quite correct. Wesley's nanites from Evolution are mentioned as a possible anti-Borg weapon in Best of Both Worlds. The wave motion gun deflector dish beam used in Best of Both Worlds shows up again in Night Terrors. The "metaphasic shielding" being tested in Suspicions gets used in Descent Part 2. I'm pretty sure there's at least one other example I'm forgetting.

Which, in a way, makes it that much more frustrating when the writers do forget (by accident or on purpose) that a previously-introduced ability or trick would perfectly solve a given dilemma.

opus111 posted:

therse a yospos thread where they all pile on to see who can be the biggest ds9 hater. Yospos sucks.

:confused:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I had the technical manual as a kid, that's exactly how replicators work. The mass needed to create the thing you're replicating (because of course you need raw material for some reason in your machine that makes things out of thin air?) is your poo and pee. From the waste reclamation system.

On Star Track they eat a lot of poo poo. That's the reason some people prefer real food. They're not fans of eating literal poo poo.

that's how life works:

• rabbit eats grass
  • wolf eats rabbit
  • wolf takes a poo poo
  • poo poo fertilizes grass
  • rabbit eats grass

it's even more blatant with water. that glass of mt dew livewire water you're drinking might well have been dinosaur piss at some point in the distant past.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Don't force yourself to watch Voyager. Rewatch DS9 if you have to watch Trek, or just watch something good. The only excuse someone has for watching Voyager these days is because they were tricked into it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I've tricked many people into watching Voyager by explaining the character in a skin-tight cat suit with big titties gets the most screen time.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Eh. It's not that baffling to me that a local low-cost ferry is going to be a bit pokier than a high-performance starship that has to be able to interdict marauding Romulans or whatever.

I'd like to second this. When I lived on the 20th floor in Boston, the elevator took all of 3-4 seconds to get me up there assuming no stops. I now live on the 3rd floor of a condo in Stamford, CT and it takes 15 seconds... and god drat if you have to wait for it. That can go on for minutes. I take the stairs 90% of the time.

oldpainless posted:

I've tricked many people into watching Voyager by explaining the character in a skin-tight cat suit with big titties gets the most screen time.

She's also a great character. It's funny, the artificial lifeforms (Seven being part-machine, Doctor being light beams) are the most interesting characters in Voyager.

On TNG, Data was pretty interesting, but the only other part-machine was Geordie. And he wasn't interesting at all. Remember that episode that had him hallucinating his mom? I didn't give 2 shits about any of that. gently caress you, Geordie. You're boring, you're lame, and you're awkward.

Loved you on Reading Rainbow though :)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shadow posted:

On TNG, Data was pretty interesting, but the only other part-machine was Geordie. And he wasn't interesting at all. Remember that episode that had him hallucinating his mom? I didn't give 2 shits about any of that. gently caress you, Geordie. You're boring, you're lame, and you're awkward.

Leah Brahms account spotted.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

counterfeitsaint posted:

Leah Brahms account spotted.

They got married!

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

oldpainless posted:

They got married!

Oh god, wait a minute... no they didn't!

After the holodeck incident Geordi killed her, stuffed her body in a plasma conduit where it'd get vaporized, then rigged up a holo-emitter in his visor so his waifu could follow him out into the real world! :gonk:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

oldpainless posted:

I've tricked people into watching the original disco-tastic 1970s Battlestar Galactica by telling them (absolutely truthfully) that in that one you get to see Starbuck with no shirt on. Yup, nipples and everything.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Angela Christine posted:

Misogyny, Mr. Horrible. Trek nerds were never able to accept a female captain.

Kate Mulgrew is actually pretty cool but Janeway was a mess. She's said in interviews that the only way she could rationalize the character was is she was schizophrenic.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The replicators are really good at corn

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Trast posted:

Kate Mulgrew is actually pretty cool but Janeway was a mess. She's said in interviews that the only way she could rationalize the character was is she was schizophrenic.

ANOTHER missed opportunity. Imagine if she LEGIT was crazy and hid it from everyone?

Like 5 seasons (there were 5 right?) of a scene every few episodes with her in her ready room talking to herself in the mirror or just spazzing the gently caress out, pulling herself together, then going out and ordering Paris to a new set of coordinates.

They're lost in the Delta quadrant and their captain is a certified loony tune.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Blistex posted:

That's like having to eat a bucket of poo poo because you like nice asses. The only benefit to watching Voyager is being able to fully appreciate how much everyone hates it.

Eh, not really. Voyager is bad Star Trek, but it's still Star Trek. A Star Trek fan would be missing out by not seeing it. There's still solid stuff in there.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

this thread could increase post efficiency 12% by modulating the graviton waves in the phase converters

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

None of it makes any sense. There is no way a starship is getting anywhere fast in a solar system going less than the speed of light. It takes light 8 minutes just to get from the sun to Earth, yet Star Trek has ships puttering around solar systems on impulse engines like they are in a small pond.

Now that I think of it, how does DS9 stay next to the wormhole but always the same distance from Bajor? Is the wormhole orbiting the star?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shadow posted:

ANOTHER missed opportunity. Imagine if she LEGIT was crazy and hid it from everyone?

Like 5 seasons (there were 5 right?) of a scene every few episodes with her in her ready room talking to herself in the mirror or just spazzing the gently caress out, pulling herself together, then going out and ordering Paris to a new set of coordinates.

7 seasons :(

and there was that ep when she hid from the crew for weeks and they all freaked out lol.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Shadow posted:

She is, but thankfully in Star Trek everything can be instantly cured unless it's a space virus then it takes a few more minutes.

Somebody more neckbeardy than me needs to do a Prime Directive violation count in TNG. In the first episode everybody was living in mud huts until they caught the magic alien. Another episode they decided they were bored and went to a planet for shore leave where everybody thought their god was literally in orbit around the planet because they didn't have space flight.

Don't forget about the two parter where Picard, and elderly ship captain, was suddenly the perfect person to send on a covert ops mission in Cardassian space so they dressed him up like a cartoon burglar. That wasn't a Prime Directive violation, it was stupid.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 11, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

opus111 posted:

7 seasons :(

and there was that ep when she hid from the crew for weeks and they all freaked out lol.

Was that when they were going through the complete void and darkness of space for like 2 months?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Yaos posted:

She is, but thankfully in Star Trek everything can be instantly cured unless it's a space virus then it takes a few more minutes.

Somebody more neckbeardy than me needs to do a Prime Directive violation count in TNG. In the first episode everybody was living in mud huts until they caught the magic alien. Another episode they decided they were bored and went to a planet for shore leave where everybody thought their god was literally in orbit around the planet because they didn't have space flight.

Don't forget about the two parter where Picard, and elderly ship captain, was suddenly the perfect person to send on a covert ops mission in Cardassian space so they dressed him up like a cartoon burglar. That wasn't a Prime Directive violation, it was stupid.

There was the one where Picard was worshipped as a god by hillbilly Vulcans

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

this thread could increase post efficiency 12% by modulating the graviton waves in the phase converters

That won't work, we've had to reroute power from the primary phase converters to the holodecks...wait why don't we activate the main deflector and emit an coherent tetrayon pulse! If it works then not only will post efficiency be increased by 16% but the resulting radiation will give everyone on decks 1-4 God like powers woooooooo

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Watch out Kirk, he's Irish!

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Figaro posted:

That won't work, we've had to reroute power from the primary phase converters to the holodecks...wait why don't we activate the main deflector and emit an coherent tetrayon pulse! If it works then not only will post efficiency be increased by 16% but the resulting radiation will give everyone on decks 1-4 God like powers woooooooo

engaaaaaaaaaaaaaage i hate myself

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I would love a serialized Netflix/Amazon series set in the prime universe around the turn of the 25th century exploring the consequences of a universe with an exploded Romulan sun. Maybe have a newly re-militarized Cardassia allied with the new Romulan survivor homeworld as a threat to the Feds.

Also, hyper-warp drive because we reversed the tachyons in the phase converter.

And the ship has to be Enterprise.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fetus Tree posted:

Made from poop, yes. Circle of life, circle of poop.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Voyager is only terrible if you're expecting more out of your Star Trek than a dumb spaceships show, which has always struck me as a self-induced problem.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Sometime in the next 15 years there will be a Netflix / hbo / whatever Star Trek series set in the JJAbramsverse and it will be awful.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Universe Master posted:

I would love a serialized Netflix/Amazon series set in the prime universe around the turn of the 25th century exploring the consequences of a universe with an exploded Romulan sun. Maybe have a newly re-militarized Cardassia allied with the new Romulan survivor homeworld as a threat to the Feds.

Also, hyper-warp drive because we reversed the tachyons in the phase converter.

And the ship has to be Enterprise.

Read the Star Trek: Online wiki? The Tasha Yar Romulan runs the Romulan secret police and allies with the Iconians while trying to destabilize the other big players and turn them against each other. The rest of the Romulan refugees end up settling on New Romulus where apparently some artifacts from the original Romulus founders were discovered.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

No, no, we need to reverse the polarity of the tachyon emitters, creating an inverse pulse and...

Figaro posted:

...Godammit.

Yaos posted:

Yep. Including The Gay and Thinking You Need Sex Reassignment.

Hey man, I didn't write this poo poo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Thinking You Need Sex Reassignment.

I wonder if transpeople in the 23rd century ever found out about that device from the TOS episode Turnabout Intruder. Basically it's a bodyswap machine and in the episode some vengeful woman used it to swap her mind into Captain Kirk's body and vice-versa. Cue the wacky hijinks of Shatner trying to look like he's trying not to look all ladylike.

So imagine that device and a personal ads service. "Woman in a man's body seeks bio-woman for permanent body swap. Full medical history a must. No fatties." Hell, it could even go beyond the trans market. "Muscular athletic body available for 12-hour rental. See how it feels to be in shape! Security deposit required." "Be a Denebian slime devil for a day! Gift certificates available." Imagine a married couple swapping bodies with each other for a while as part of relationship counseling, or just to see what sex is like from the other side. Or a parent swapping with a terminally-ill child so that the kid will be able to live on in their old body. Or a criminal syndicate that swaps around the bodies and identities of its agents and assassins, to foil investigations and evade detection. Or...

Or they could just kind of forget about the device and never mention it again after that episode.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Aleph Null posted:

Read the Star Trek: Online wiki?

gently caress no.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I'm sure they didn't forget about it, but they probably made it a crime with a life sentence to make, own, or use one on account of they don't want to offend the judeo-christian god they don't believe in

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oldpainless posted:

It's funny how Jeri Ryan (7 of 9) and Tricia Helfer (BSG) were only brought on as glorified eye candy for nerds, and both of them ended up being two of the strongest actors in their respective shows.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Blistex posted:

It's funny how Jeri Ryan (7 of 9) and Tricia Helfer (BSG) were only brought on as glorified eye candy for nerds, and both of them ended up being two of the strongest actors in their respective shows.

Don't forget Deforest Kelley.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yeah, then you have T'Pol. The annoying bratty looking child T'Pol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Blistex posted:

i've never found either woman particularly attractive

now, marina sirtis,

• Locked thread