Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The only time I've seen that argument hold weight was when they released the Litharial skin for Shadow of Mordor. Litharial has all the exact same movements as Talion, but she's got much narrower shoulders so her character model looks like it's stretching her arms out a bit whenever she swings her sword wide. Eh. *shrugs*

Ubisoft games kind of peaked for me at the end of the Ezio Trilogy. You can't beat being able to snap your fingers and have ninjas appear to kill someone on command!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

He was obviously talking about the fact that they would have to animate their breasts? Which is just extra work that male characters don't need. Until next gen, when penis physics become a thing...

It also might have been linked to the customizable equipment/armor. To make it look right they'd have to make some alternate versions of some pieces.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The dumbest thing is that the question was made in the belief that the four characters shown were all different people. He could have easily mollified the questioner by saying "Actually that's the same guy."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man, the whole bit about Women being too hard to animate still makes me laugh/shake my head. It's as though Ubisoft forgot that they had already put scores of female characters, even playable ones, in Assassin's Creed with no trouble at all because they use literally the exact same skeleton and animations as everyone else.

My favorite part of that was the ex-Ubisoft employee saying it's probably take a team of dedicated programmers about a day or two to do.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Speedball posted:

The only time I've seen that argument hold weight was when they released the Litharial skin for Shadow of Mordor. Litharial has all the exact same movements as Talion, but she's got much narrower shoulders so her character model looks like it's stretching her arms out a bit whenever she swings her sword wide. Eh. *shrugs*

She has the same animations? Because her fighting style seems much looser then Talion's and she isn't throwing as many strong slashes.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ubisoft's thing about animating a lady main character is funny because they totally did that for AssCreed Liberation, they really are that far up their own asses.

buri-chan
Jun 2, 2015

Pretentious Idiot
Well of course it's harder to animate women. They'd need to buy two more ping pong balls for the chest mocap (being an imperative feature).

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Its funny because Assassins Creed (or Watch Dogs!) is one of the series where the kind of stereotypical shithead gamer would probably accept a female main character. It's about graceful movement, deceit and wearing pretty outfits as opposed to being big and tough and fighting wars or whatever other dumb poo poo women aren't supposed to be able to do. :biotruths:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They should make an Assassin's creed where you play Ezio's sister. During brotherhood she's inducted into the Assassin's and she does the leap of faith, so presumably she learned parkour at some point. She ran Ezio's books for two games, she it would make sense for her to continue all the fun economic parts of gameplay too.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Its funny because Assassins Creed (or Watch Dogs!) is one of the series where the kind of stereotypical shithead gamer would probably accept a female main character. It's about graceful movement, deceit and wearing pretty outfits as opposed to being big and tough and fighting wars or whatever other dumb poo poo women aren't supposed to be able to do. :biotruths:

The only people that wouldn't accept a female protagonist should already be used to the industry ignoring what they want.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Arbite posted:

The dumbest thing is that the question was made in the belief that the four characters shown were all different people. He could have easily mollified the questioner by saying "Actually that's the same guy."

Well, that was always the point that the people criticizing Ubisoft should've dwelled on.

Assassin's Creed Unity literally features coop of the main character and his three identical clones all wearing the same outlandish and anachronistic costume prowling through Paris. Coop featuring various different customizable assassins for your coop buddies to play as (including different body types and, yes, genders), would actually make much more sense than Arno, Arno, Arno, and Arno walking around Paris as a pack.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

Well, that was always the point that the people criticizing Ubisoft should've dwelled on.

Assassin's Creed Unity literally features coop of the main character and his three identical clones all wearing the same outlandish and anachronistic costume prowling through Paris. Coop featuring various different customizable assassins for your coop buddies to play as (including different body types and, yes, genders), would actually make much more sense than Arno, Arno, Arno, and Arno walking around Paris as a pack.

I think it's hilarious that in Assassin's Creed you walk around wearing an Assassin's uniform, covered in Assassin's emblems. When you stealth murder someone in a crowd, no one sees you stab him, but... you're the only person advertising that you have a hidden blade strapped to your arm. That's like your thing. "But maybe the average person doesn't know about Assassins" yeah that's why they all yell "ASSASSIN-O!" when they see you kill someone.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Snak posted:

I think it's hilarious that in Assassin's Creed you walk around wearing an Assassin's uniform, covered in Assassin's emblems. When you stealth murder someone in a crowd, no one sees you stab him, but... you're the only person advertising that you have a hidden blade strapped to your arm. That's like your thing. "But maybe the average person doesn't know about Assassins" yeah that's why they all yell "ASSASSIN-O!" when they see you kill someone.

In 4, the Templars you infiltrate while pretending to be an Assassin Defector all immediately identify the 'distinctive costume of your Order'.

This seems like a bad trait to have.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

In 4, the Templars you infiltrate while pretending to be an Assassin Defector all immediately identify the 'distinctive costume of your Order'.

At least they acknowledge it, unlike the untold thousands of previous npc's that didn't notice at all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Night10194 posted:

It also kinda wrecks the usual explanation people give, which is "It's a simulation, not reality." Without that line, you could easily explain it away as one of the many liberties the Animus takes with the real historical record (like the video game-esque money collection and collectibles) and in reality the Assassins kept their weapons and armor hidden. But then they outright say in 4 "Yep, Edward is walking around dressed like he's ready to massacre the whole place."

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Also, this is a universe where people wearing variants of that costume have been murdering high profile figures since at least the 1180s (and presumably far before...the order was ancient in Altair's day). You'd think that after 600 years of Assassin activity the Templars would catch on.

Maybe that's why Abstergo is so effective in the 2000s...they've finally figured they just have to go after the people wearing the hood, cloak, and body armor ensemble in public. It's not like Abstergo members in the 21st century wear the Templar cross in public. (I've only played up through Brotherhood, so maybe I'm wrong on that).

Anyway, tying that back to Watch Underscore Dogs, Aiden Pearce is "The Vigilante" in the same way Altair or Ezio or etc. are "The Assassin," and build up fame as a result. As crazy as it was in Assassin's Creed 1 that Altair could just order some random street thugs to pick a fight with the police as a distraction because you saved the sister of one of them or something, Aiden is swimming in far more absurdly dangerous waters. People think the Vigiliante is a hero despite Aiden doing things like creating multicar pileups to silence one man or robbing every random person with a smartphone you see on the street. Aiden is a monster and his notoriety should get the public to turn him into the cops, not turn him into some underground neo-Robin Hood folk hero.

In Assassin's Creed, due to respawning guards and persistent corpses and my loving up a section repeatedly I at one point had a pile of sixteen dead guards lying in one place, but the first Assassin's Creed especially did a really good job (until the ending) of making you feel that killing random people was a punishment for loving up, not something that was part of ordinary gameplay. Then they hosed it up by having Altair fight a dozen Templars to the death in broad daylight, but they had a good thing going. In a lot of ways I actually liked that game more than its sequels, but that might just be because I love the Crusades.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I actually like it though, since most characters who matter do recognize it. I liked since the very first Assassin's Creed (which is a terrible game) that each faction was identifiable by their heraldry. There's plenty of things (understatement) that are unrealistic about AC, and I think walking around like the biggest baddass ever who no sane person would mess with, not even the cops, is one of the best ones. It's like in Saints Row when you are part of a criminal gang and have personally committed a bunch of high profile crimes, but you don't get arrested just walking down the street.

edit: I actually was such a bad person in watchdogs that my name was on the news and people who got close to me would be like "holy poo poo it's the vigilante!" and call the cops.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 10, 2015

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Aiden operates many sock puppet accounts to promote his public image

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Patter Song posted:

Maybe that's why Abstergo is so effective in the 2000s...they've finally figured they just have to go after the people wearing the hood, cloak, and body armor ensemble in public. It's not like Abstergo members in the 21st century wear the Templar cross in public. (I've only played up through Brotherhood, so maybe I'm wrong on that).

The modern sections in Assassin's Creed take place where the Templars (through Abstergo) have pretty much kicked all the poo poo they need to kick out of the Assassins. The conflict is done predominately behind the scenes through manipulation, buyouts, and politics. Meanwhile, walking around with a sword on your hip is no longer feasible even for the wealthy and the Assassins need to be a lot stealthier to avoid just getting arrested and/or shot by the cops when they step outside. So they swapped their billowing cloaks for hoodies and jeans and hide their gear in messenger bags, or just plain disguise themselves.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Snak posted:

They should make an Assassin's creed where you play Ezio's sister. During brotherhood she's inducted into the Assassin's and she does the leap of faith, so presumably she learned parkour at some point. She ran Ezio's books for two games, she it would make sense for her to continue all the fun economic parts of gameplay too.
She also shivved a bunch of big, burly knights at some point. That was rad and funny.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

AriadneThread posted:

Aiden operates many sock puppet accounts to promote his public image
Ahhhh so those are the Badboys 1-16, he's REALLY mad at Badboy17 for taking that one obviously. :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

*burp*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bsxQZ5JDec

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Signal is a cool guy and all his videos are good.

He did a video on Watch Dogs but it's got spoilers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Snak posted:

No, they want people to see the actual assassination. The stealth part is only in approaching the target.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RatHat posted:

No, they want people to see the actual assassination. The stealth part is only in approaching the target.
Congrats on finding the biggest mistake in trying to build a franchise about a secret society based on the hashashin.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

zedprime posted:

Congrats on finding the biggest mistake in trying to build a franchise about a secret society based on the hashashin.

I think they took a few liberties with the history, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

zedprime posted:

It does seem really stupid.

I mean the best assassins are the ones that no one knew ever existed. :ninja:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

FinalGamer posted:

It does seem really stupid.

I mean the best assassins are the ones that no one knew ever existed. :ninja:

Worked for JFK

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

He did a video on Watch Dogs but it's got spoilers.

It was a good video but he makes the same mistake everyone else does by thinking it's thought crime. It's not loving thought crime.
It's weird to me because the rest of his analysis is on-point. Having a chance for your crime alarm to be a false positive would be a good justification for being certain that a crime would happen.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

SSNeoman posted:

Having a chance for your crime alarm to be a false positive would be a good justification for being certain that a crime would happen.

Wait, that doesn't happen already? What the hell? That doesn't make any sense.

:psyduck:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Onean posted:

Wait, that doesn't happen already? What the hell? That doesn't make any sense.

:psyduck:

Nope. Every time a crime alert comes up, a crime will happen.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah. It's not "thought crime," it's precognition software at that point.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

They should've replaced the "crime probability" with "estimated time until crime" to make it lineup with how it works in gameplay.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Speedball posted:

Yeah. It's not "thought crime," it's precognition software at that point.

If you mean from a game mechanics standpoint, yeah. But I mean again, the system is spying on people. It tracks people's e-mails, conversations and spies on people through its camera. It then basically pieces the evidence together and when the dude is coming into the same vicinity his victim is, it makes the blue circle. People are pretty predictable when you have that kind of degree of surveillance.
Which is another point the game doesn't address, admittedly.

Like most things this game does, it's examined and explained in Person of Interest, a fantastic TV show. In that show the government has a system that spies on people, but it sorts people based on their threat to national security. The government deals with the Relevant list and the protagonists deal with the Irrelevant list (in secret). The guy who built the machine made sure that the government never got direct access to it, it just gives them breadcrumbs to follow. This way nobody's amendment rights were violated, but the people who use the machine still realize that it's just a loophole. If they were ever discovered, then they'd face jail time or worse, and they admit that say that like "we'd totally deserve it though".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

I'm obviously not talking about historical Assassins. I actually always think it's funny in Brotherhood and Revelation when I'm taking over cities for the assassins, how much less popular the games would be if I were conquering them in the name of Islam.

There are plenty of missions where stealth assassinations are a thing.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Snak posted:

There are plenty of missions where stealth assassinations are a thing.

Aren't those mostly for the sake of sending a message or for making the bad dudes paranoid?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Testekill posted:

Aren't those mostly for the sake of sending a message or for making the bad dudes paranoid?

I'm not sure what your point is...

My original point was that it's funny that you can walk through a crown and stealth-shiv someone and no one will be like OH poo poo THIS GUY JUST GOT STABBED AND THERE'S A GUY DRESSED LIKE AN ASSASSIN RIGHT THERE!!!!! (But I don't care because I like the heraldry and fancy outfits)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Night10194 posted:

To get back to Watch Dogs, something else Sleeping Dogs does well is that Wei takes quests straight from people who need his help sometimes. Cheerfully telling them he'll help out and all that. I don't think I've ever seen Aiden express any sort of genuine helpful urge with anyone, even if it's feigned.

I started playing the game yesterday, and this is one of my favourite little things so far. Little gold icon, someone needs your help with something, you do a little thing for them, or get ambushed. And Wei in general seems to be actually influenced by the bad poo poo that happens because of him and around him in general, which is nice to see.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

That and Sleeping Dogs admits that Wei has Problems. Throughout the game you unlock various character's Psych Profiles from the HKPD, most of which are just little extra background info on NPCs. Wei's points out that while he's a terrific undercover operative, he gets way to attached to his cover-identities, and also has serious authority and anger issues. So... y'know a flawed, if sympathetic, protagonist.

Aiden's just a fuckhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wapole Languray posted:

That and Sleeping Dogs admits that Wei has Problems. Throughout the game you unlock various character's Psych Profiles from the HKPD, most of which are just little extra background info on NPCs. Wei's points out that while he's a terrific undercover operative, he gets way to attached to his cover-identities, and also has serious authority and anger issues. So... y'know a flawed, if sympathetic, protagonist.

Aiden's just a fuckhead.

Yeah, it's heavily implied that Wei has murdered someone before the events of the game.

• Locked thread