Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

Tonga XT is suspiciously missing from the launch lineup and driver leaks. 380X would be a competitive card between the 960 and 970 that everyone has been begging for for 9 months, so of course it'll never see the light of day.
:smith: This is teeth-gritting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Who knows maybe Nvidia will cut the price on the 970 or release a 965/960Ti in response to AMD's new cards.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
So the Fury cards in both single and Crossfire modes are only 2-4% better overall than 980Ti series cards in the same configuration. They're hotter, chew more power, and require closed loop cooling while the 980s hum along with air cooling. As much as I love AMD, they really gotta get their stuff together before poo poo hits the fan hard, they already lost money with previous gen cards with regard to pricing and re-branding, and with all they hype I expected more from them. Sorry guys, gonna stick with team green on this one :smith:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

You've got firm benchmarks? Link please.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I dunno, I view watercooling as an advantage rather than a hindrance.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ozz81 posted:

So the Fury cards in both single and Crossfire modes are only 2-4% better overall than 980Ti series cards in the same configuration. They're hotter, chew more power, and require closed loop cooling while the 980s hum along with air cooling. As much as I love AMD, they really gotta get their stuff together before poo poo hits the fan hard, they already lost money with previous gen cards with regard to pricing and re-branding, and with all they hype I expected more from them. Sorry guys, gonna stick with team green on this one :smith:

They don't require closed loop water cooling, there's an air cooled version and a water cooled version of Fury X, and there are literally no reputable benchmarks available. So, talking poo poo, much?

As much as an easy target AMD has been recently, at least loving wait until the cards are available.

vvv Also totally relevant. We don't know the price.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 11, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
There's also space for AMD to beat Nvidia on price/performance, which they've honestly done really well on with the 290/290x. If the Fury cards cost less than the 980(ti) they'll be an easy pick.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Power consumption is too high on the 980 Ti versus my old GTX 980 :(

Time to figure out if I can cram a different PSU in my mITX chassis (ATX PSU but depth is 140mm) or explore a different case.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Water cooling shows up on nvidia cards - cool and everyone wants
Water cooling shows up on AMD cards - lovely and harbinger of doom

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

There's also space for AMD to beat Nvidia on price/performance, which they've honestly done really well on with the 290/290x. If the Fury cards cost less than the 980(ti) they'll be an easy pick.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Fury non-X OC numbers and if it's as great a buy as AMD flagship crops have historically been.

Seamonster posted:

I dunno, I view watercooling as an advantage rather than a hindrance.

Blowers are a sad joke these days. It's laughable that the Titan X and 980 Ti with their best ever blowers have to back off their max boost clock. That's literally leaving free performance on the table because the cooler can't cut it.

Big Maxwell needs an open cooler or water as well, and AMD at least knows better than to saddle customers with an inferior cooler. Sure with default waterloops you may need a new case to get TriLI (SLTri?) or Quadfire going, but a case that can be had for under $200 is not a big deal when you're filling it with a grand or two in GPU especially if you're getting the full performance out of the cards rather than losing your hard earned performance to throttling.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 11, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

They don't require closed loop water cooling, there's an air cooled version and a water cooled version of Fury X

FWIW Sweclockers are now saying the aircooled version doesn't exist, which is kinda backed up by all the leaks being of the watercooled version.

:iiam:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

repiv posted:

FWIW Sweclockers are now saying the aircooled version doesn't exist, which is kinda backed up by all the leaks being of the watercooled version.

A reference Tri-X or similar makes a bunch of sense especially for the non-X Fury, so I think that's well within the realm of possibility.

If they put out the non-X with an aio loop reference I'm going to have a hard time resisting.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

Except the part where people report the air cooled version comes with a giant sink with 3 fans, like those aftermarket coolers vendors put on for all gpus? I mean, sure, we don't have pictures of that yet, but why would AMD lie about it?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only rumors that are going to be right are the ones that got lucky. Please stop posting about them.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Time to figure out if I can cram a different PSU in my mITX chassis (ATX PSU but depth is 140mm) or explore a different case.

What PSU are you running that it can no longer run a 980 ti?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Etrips posted:

What PSU are you running that it can no longer run a 980 ti?
This guy that's probably 4-5 years old now.

Edit: Maybe the motherboard's just bad at power delivery via PCIe? GTX 980 is rock solid but the 980 Ti is a crash fest in GTAV and Witcher 3.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 11, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Edit: Maybe the motherboard's just bad at power delivery via PCIe?

600W should be more than enough shouldn't it?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

^^^PSUs do lose capacity over time.

Truga posted:

Except the part where people report the air cooled version comes with a giant sink with 3 fans, like those aftermarket coolers vendors put on for all gpus? I mean, sure, we don't have pictures of that yet, but why would AMD lie about it?

Responding to the failure of the 290(X) blower and all the benchmarks scoring a card spending most of its time severely throttled by going straight to effective coolers that let the card get benchmarked in the cool, quiet and full speed condition it will be sold in is the single most believable rumor I've heard on anything in a long time.

The Devil Tesla posted:

The only rumors that are going to be right are the ones that got lucky. Please stop posting about them.

Yeah there's a rumor for everything. I'm pretty confident in the multiple leaks of the looks but who knows about the rest, all that is less than words on paper.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 11, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Edit: Maybe the motherboard's just bad at power delivery via PCIe? GTX 980 is rock solid but the 980 Ti is a crash fest in GTAV and Witcher 3.

Titan X @1450 /w 16gb ram and 4790k @ 4.6ghz pulling less than 500w from the wall for me.

xthetenth posted:

It's laughable that the Titan X and 980 Ti with their best ever blowers have to back off their max boost clock.

This has not been my experience with a titan x

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Etrips posted:

Not a PSU that old.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Etrips posted:

That's not how you evaluate power supplies.

Don Lapre posted:

Titan X @1450 /w 16gb ram and 4790k @ 4.6ghz pulling less than 500w from the wall for me.
Right, I get that. The question is what's the quality of power being delivered as you bump up the load, not just how many Watts can it push. In theory mine is an 80+ Bronze but I'm wondering I can do better in that form factor. Power supply performance also degrades after a few years.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Right, I get that. The question is what's the quality of power being delivered as you bump up the load, not just how many Watts can it push. In theory mine is an 80+ Bronze but I'm wondering I can do better in that form factor. Power supply performance also degrades after a few years.

You can probably get more efficiency. Do you have another PSU around that you could try switching just to see if it works? I'm picturing temporarily running all the cabling from a normal ATX PSU into your small box and firing up GTAV.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

You might be able to fix this by bumping down the TDP cap, it will affect performance of course but will make the card more power-efficient, so shouldn't be that bad. Then again if your power supply is that marginal an upgrade is smart anyway as you know.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

This has not been my experience with a titan x

Hmm, seen it in multiple reviews, although you can up the limits to let it clock higher if you're cool with letting the fan speed up. I've definitely heard from multiple people that an OC TX belongs under water.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
If anyone is waiting, Newegg is taking preorders again for the G1.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Guess the xfx leaks were legit

$449 bestbuy 6/21 release

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/39ghw4/this_just_came_in_at_work_today/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

So this is a 290X with a slight clock bump and 8GB VRAM for $449? That's going to be hard sell.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

So this is a 290X with a slight clock bump and 8GB VRAM for $449? That's going to be hard sell.

Thats gonna be MSRP like the $379 970's at bestbuy. Probably looking at $399 online i bet.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
All this bickering over the Fury cards is premature, all we have is a leaked benchmark and leaked specs that happen to line up with each other really well and even if both of those are true we don't know pricing yet. We can start complaining when and if those benchmarks and specs end up true and if they are overpriced for what they can do. I'm expecting that AMD will disappoint because they have been having a rough time of it lately but I'm hoping they will surprise us and get some market share back.

EDIT: $449 MSRP? For a 290X with 8GB of VRAM? For serious AMD? :sigh:

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 11, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Looks like they're positioning it against the 980. That indicates they're expecting it to be outright better than the 970.

I'm expecting decent cards priced well from AMD. Although if that leak was legit and they decided to quadruple the ROP performance of Hawaii, there might be something real impressive at high res. Or it's a lie from someone who forgot Tonga was a thing.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 11, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Looks like they're positioning it against the 980. That indicates they're expecting it to be outright better than the 970.

At stock clocks isn't the 290X broadly within 5% of a 970? The biggest problem I see is that street price on 290s has been <$250 and street price on 290X ~$280.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

At stock clocks isn't the 290X broadly within 5% of a 970? The biggest problem I see is that street price on 290s has been <$250 and street price on 290X ~$280.

Yeah, the cynic in me is saying the benchmark boost from using an actual cooler is what they're counting on, because it is pretty significant, but there may well be more. Hoping for more though.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Twerk from Home posted:

You can probably get more efficiency. Do you have another PSU around that you could try switching just to see if it works? I'm picturing temporarily running all the cabling from a normal ATX PSU into your small box and firing up GTAV.
I would try this first and make sure witcher 3 is running in full screen mode and not the crashy borderless windowed mode. Alternatively I still have a SFX SX600-G I got from Oklahoma Wolf that I honestly don't know what to do with.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 11, 2015

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?i...nw&gclsrc=aw.ds

8gb 290x for 349 currently haha

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
All these leaks, and not a single word about tessellation performance...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

EDIT: $449 MSRP? For a 290X with 8GB of VRAM? For serious AMD? :sigh:

Best Buy tends to bump card prices by 25%. Expect an actual price of closer to $349.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Kazinsal posted:

Best Buy tends to bump card prices by 25%. Expect an actual price of closer to $349.

Yeah best buy is crazy high on video cards, and often sells slightly different models so they don't have to price match them! See: selling 970 Nvidia reference cards for like $399

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Arn't they the only place to get 970 ref cards period?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I think Newegg still has some 970 reference cards. Prices are like, the same as or higher than at launch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Guy who posted that amd link deleted all his poo poo lol. Didnt' realize everything was in his post to track him down.