Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Can someone tell me why I would want to use privateers instead of protect trade and what the difference between them is?

Using privateers in trade nodes where your rivals are present gets you power projection, but it pisses off most other people there. Also, if you use privateers there's a chance of a couple of events coming up - one that makes you decide whether to rein them in or get a reputation penalty for like a decade, and one where they decide to go their own way and raid your ships too (trade income loss for a decade).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't know if I've ever really tried to use them to hurt someone. Basically I see my Power Projection dipping to 50 or 49 and just keep throwing more light ships into my enemies home nodes until I can humiliate someone else.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

GreyPowerVan posted:

I don't know if I've ever really tried to use them to hurt someone. Basically I see my Power Projection dipping to 50 or 49 and just keep throwing more light ships into my enemies home nodes until I can humiliate someone else.

If you're at war with a colonial power and have naval superiority you can basically shut down their collecting node. In our current MP game Ireland was doing this to great effect against the French.

Admittedly I don't know how much the AI 'cheats' when it comes to finances, or if it does at all.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Jolan posted:

According to some fancy math on the forums, it's closer to an 80% increase. And diplo-annexing is absolutely ridiculous. Currently integrating Brittany, still just its original four provinces, for 560 diplo points. Christ.

I had that last night, but not today. Maybe BetterUI fixes it? You'll need to manually install it, though, the workshop version is borked (something's eating lines of code in workshop mods since the patch).

I think I'll have to get the mod to see if it works because it's getting really annoying. It just looks like this in fort map mode

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is it normal for an aggressive Austria to get spammed with lots of trade embargoes that get lifted a couple months later? This seems new with 1.12 but there's nothing about it in the hotfix.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
So apparently this is what happens when you destroy Poland-Lithuania and bring peace to Eastern Europe as best bros forever with Russia.

The Crocodile Hunter in this timeline would be amazing.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

In my Poland game I kept getting embargoed/unembargoed every month by Syria, a vassal of Otto, for no real reason that I could tell.

I wonder if there's a bug with the new vassal interaction where an overlord can tell their vassal to embargo their rivals.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Here's a ZOC scenario I want to double check on. I was allied with Switzerland and at war with Austria. Switzerland is in the war on my side against Austria. Austria owns Sundgau but it has been sieged and is occupied. Austria moves an army up from Milan into the province just south of Bern, which is covered by the fort in Bern, then into Bern, then through Bern into occupied Sundgau. Should they be able to do that?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Wiz posted:

I wrote a dev diary about the upcoming hotfix and also why there will always be bugs on the launch of an expansion.

Yeah, I don't know how you guys deal with some of the people that play your games. The fact that you are able to identify bugs so quickly and plan for such a quick turnover on hot fixes is really impressive.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Any recommendations for a new Common Sense save? I was thinking Sweden (never played it :downs: ), seems like a good one to try.

reL
May 20, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

Anyone else notice the HRE not passing reforms? I've watched the emperor (Saxony) sit at 100 authority for nearly a century without passing even the first reform.

~1550 and Austria is just a couple votes shy of proclaiming themselves hereditary Emperor. This despite them being repeatedly pounded into the ground by France/Ottomans.

I've actually never seen the AI get this far through the votes on its own, though I don't have a lot of hours put in.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Allyn posted:

Hmm, France forced Burgundy to release some stuff, including province of Cambray (uhh, Hainaut maybe? I forget, they were purple, not sure it matters) and they started out as a junior partner in a PU under nobody. Mousing over their ruler gave me a CTD.

Update on this bug: it's Hainaut specific. Saw them released in a different game, and once again they were in a PU under nobody. I imagine it's because they have a PU under Burgundy listed in history/diplomacy/Lowland_alliances.txt despite the fact they don't exist in 1444.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mountaineer posted:

Anyone else notice the HRE not passing reforms? I've watched the emperor (Saxony) sit at 100 authority for nearly a century without passing even the first reform.

Authority is not enough, votes have to be in favor as well.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Hey Wiz, any comment on Increased Coring Cost now that coring as a whole is more expensive? I know that it just got standardised down to a lower level for most modifiers but that doesn't stop it from being a big "never own these provinces" flag unless it's a gold province or trade node or something. It's kind of terrible having parts of the map effectively off limits and doubly so when some shitass conquers a province you had your eye on and cores it and then suddenly it's 50% more expensive.

Hell if we have to make it obnoxious for some reason make it "increased Separatism" or "permanent +5 years of Separatism that stacks with the regular kind". Just leave my monarch points alone :(

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I thought 100 authority meant you could push a reform through without votes. It used to work that way, didn't it?

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Gonna echo what people have been saying about the Teutons, it's a really fun game to not turn into Prussia. I've converted to Protestantism and my goal is to stretch from Hamburg to Riga to build the faith on my side of the Elbe, but I've done enough development to make Prussia a nasty but to crack. The only problem at this point is super Bohemia controlling the empire but so far this is pretty fun.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I really hate increased coring cost as a mechanic. I always think "maybe a northern Africa game could be fun" and then I look at my lovely rulers, my high tech costs, and the absurd cost to core just a few provinces and restart in a different area.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

I really hate increased coring cost as a mechanic. I always think "maybe a northern Africa game could be fun" and then I look at my lovely rulers, my high tech costs, and the absurd cost to core just a few provinces and restart in a different area.

Now that Common Sense rebalanced coring costs to be higher than before, changed warfare to be more symmetrical between big and little powers, and made internal growth a viable thing, they should really just get rid of increased coring cost from the idea groups. It doesn't help out players if you have it and it's an absolute pain to deal with. Back when the AI Iberians would rush into north Africa it made sense as a cushioning mechanic, but now it's redundant at best and punishes players at worst.

RabidWeasel posted:

Hell if we have to make it obnoxious for some reason make it "increased Separatism" or "permanent +5 years of Separatism that stacks with the regular kind". Just leave my monarch points alone :(

"Rebel support efficiency" could be a good replacement idea (only the Palatinate has it iirc), but then we have to deal with the problem that Espionage as a whole isn't very good in the game right now.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Another bug Arumba discovered if the Paradox devs are still reading this thread: You can reorganize an army when they enter a province without stopping and they won't suffer siege attrition.

EDIT: nvm, he messaged you :v:

Beamed fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 11, 2015

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Started a game as Austria and it was really rough. Coring anything worth taking in the region will set your admin points back decades if your ruler is anything less than amazing, and bouncing your Stability back up after random events bring it down makes it even worse.

Also, apparently freeing HRE states swallowed by other Empire nations no longer gives Imperial Authority. I wasted years of war and lots of gold and manpower making the Hansa cough back Bremen and snother little state before finding that out. Still, getting Authority gradually over time is not a bad change.

No Burgundian succession in this game, either, which might just be bad luck. And wow, integrating Hungary takes forever.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Mountaineer posted:

I thought 100 authority meant you could push a reform through without votes. It used to work that way, didn't it?

I don't remember it ever working like that. But the more IA you have, the bigger boost you get towards HRE members voting in favour of the reforms, to the point where you have to be hated for them to ever vote against. Seems very odd that they'd have to sit on 100 for any length of time without being able to pass a reform, really

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

cheesetriangles posted:

Can someone tell me why I would want to use privateers instead of protect trade and what the difference between them is?

Privateers are great for intercepting those treasure fleets and getting that sweet sweet gold.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Any word on whether the hotfix will improve performance?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I really like the IA changes. Is taking away all their provinces until they're small enough to force change religion the only way to force their religion through cb for large nations? What happens in the HRE if you ask someone to change their religion and they refuse, do you get a special cb on them? Would the special cb make it easier to force their religion?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Sending privateers to your rivals' trade nodes also gives you some power projection. Makes it much easier to get/maintain those sweet 50+ pp bonuses.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Hey, Wiz, you know what would be a nice button? In diplomacy, maybe just to the left of "declare war" a little button that closes all the diplomatic action buttons so they were compact again. :)

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Fintilgin posted:

Hey, Wiz, you know what would be a nice button? In diplomacy, maybe just to the left of "declare war" a little button that closes all the diplomatic action buttons so they were compact again. :)

This man speaks the truth. Also, make that button expand them all if they're all compact. :)

If I put together all the seconds spent expanding the diplo options and/or closing them, I'd probably have... a bunch of minutes of my time back.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Transmetropolitan posted:

Any recommendations for a new Common Sense save? I was thinking Sweden (never played it :downs: ), seems like a good one to try.

CS doesn't bring that much to a Sweden game outside of making warfare somewhat more challenging. I know a lot of people are going on about this, but seriously, try Teutonic Order. It used to be "hard mode Prussia", but now it's cool on its own merits. You get to experience theocracy mechanics, some of the best map changes, and above all really get your inner military engineer to shine with how viable true defensive warfare is these days. The true anti-blob.

Alternatively, England is apparently a very different game now, as are the Italian minors since that part of the map has been overhauled heavily.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Just ran into a weird bug:

My annexation isn't making any progress cause my dip points are negative, but my points just won't go up. Every month I get 1 diplo for an instant, then it drops back to -5.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So in my customised Cuzco game I never saw any "doom" mechanic. I just built up religious authority and passed reformed which triggered some nasty uprisings but other than that no special mechanics. Was this working or did playing as a custom gently caress up some stuff?

*edit*
Oh that's because my religion doesn't have a doom mechanic, lol

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Baronjutter posted:

So in my customised Cuzco game I never saw any "doom" mechanic. I just built up religious authority and passed reformed which triggered some nasty uprisings but other than that no special mechanics. Was this working or did playing as a custom gently caress up some stuff?

Cuzco are not Mesoamerican and are not Nahuatl.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Baronjutter posted:

Inti doesn't have Doom, it has Authority. Only Nahuatl has Doom.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the historical basis for the Mayan's weird system where they lose half their empire every reform? It seems like a super weird mechanic so I'm curious how it came about.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Did I read something about being able to take provinces from vassals somehow, or did I misread something? If so, where do I find this?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

What's the historical basis for the Mayan's weird system where they lose half their empire every reform? It seems like a super weird mechanic so I'm curious how it came about.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-desire.834139/

quote:

The Maya were divided into a large number of city-states vying for supremacy. In the past, these states were united in a large confederation called the League of Mayapan until infighting shattered the league. In El Dorado, we’ve attempted to simulate this expansion and contraction through Religious Reforms similar to the ones available to the Nahuatl (for details, see El Dorado Dev Diary 1).

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Tsyni posted:

Did I read something about being able to take provinces from vassals somehow, or did I misread something? If so, where do I find this?

I had a claim on a vassal and soon after I vassalized them I got an event offering me the province for -70 relations. Also could give up the claim for some sort of boost or just leave things be.

Took it hoping for a free core, it doesn't give you that. So yeah there you go.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Guildencrantz posted:

So apparently this is what happens when you destroy Poland-Lithuania and bring peace to Eastern Europe as best bros forever with Russia.

The Crocodile Hunter in this timeline would be amazing.

All of the mines are russia

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bishop Rodan posted:

Any word on whether the hotfix will improve performance?

They're fixing AI bugs which are causing spammy behaviour that impact performance, so yes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Wiz posted:

I wrote a dev diary about the upcoming hotfix and also why there will always be bugs on the launch of an expansion.

Nice writeup, explanation, and hotfix.

Did the random zooming in and out issue people were having get addressed? I missed that in the patch notes if it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Node posted:

Nice writeup, explanation, and hotfix.

Did the random zooming in and out issue people were having get addressed? I missed that in the patch notes if it was.

The notes say they fixed the hosed up trackpad on MacBooks, so it should be fixed. As far as I know that was the only zooming issue.

• Locked thread