Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Node posted:

Good fixes, does it address the whole "rebels spawning and giving ten years of separatism in a month's siege" issue? It doesn't appear so unless I am misreading it.

That apparently is only supposed to happen to provinces that aren't in a fort's ZoC. Maybe build more/mothball fewer forts in rebellious areas and see if that helps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Node posted:

Good fixes, does it address the whole "rebels spawning and giving ten years of separatism in a month's siege" issue? It doesn't appear so unless I am misreading it.

Rebels aren't supposed to add separatism or change religions in a province if the province borders a fort they don't control I think. At least that's what a paradox employee said on the paradox forums the other day

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Node posted:

It's a feature

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Node posted:

I reckon that's working as intended, because it only happens when you leave a province completely undefended by neither having a fort in/neighbouring it nor having an army within a month's march. If you choose to gamble and leave a rebellious province undefended, you should expect bad things to happen.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is there some way to get my vassals to not mothball their fortresses when we're at war? Most of my vassals are on my front lines and armies just wander right through because everything is mothballed.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Is there some way to get my vassals to not mothball their fortresses when we're at war? Most of my vassals are on my front lines and armies just wander right through because everything is mothballed.

Have you tried giving them money? Maybe they just can't afford it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

What would be great is a big list of provinces all together allowing you to sort by cost or development in each category and then upgrade with a click from that list rather than exit the list and select the province.

You can sort by development in the province overview ledger page, but that doesn't include the development cost info...
(Also the non-base manpower is just truncated division by 1000, which is kinda confusing and imprecise).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The hotfix that is supposed to fix bugs introduced the first major bug for me, in that my game will no longer launch. :smith:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Apoffys posted:

Both army tradition and power projection seem a bit weird now. I've just been blobbing with France a bit, and after nearly a century of nearly constant warfare I have almost no AT or PP. I've actually completely run out of PP, because the countries that are actually a threat and which I sometimes fight don't qualify as "rivals" and the only countries I can set as rivals are so far away that I can't even come up with an excuse to attack them. Apparently the game thinks an Austrian emperor expanding all over the place or a large Castillian colonial empire aren't even threats, and that my only real rival should be the loving Mamluks.

It just feels weird that the game punishes me for crushing my neighbours by making the only available "rival" a country that I have no interest in attacking or any casus belli on.

:agreed:

This is especially annoying when playing as Russia/Muscovy, since Novgorod and Kazan/Golden Horde stop being viable rivals like three years into the game once you take a bite out of Novgorod's territories, which is something everyone is going to do. Then the game suddenly decides that only western nations are powerful enough to be considered rivals, so the only choices I have are Poland, Lithuania, and Sweden/Denmark depending on how that mess unfolds.

It leads to a situation where I'm a formed up Russia, have managed to expand all the way east, gobbled up like thousands of square miles worth of territory, and have 20 PP because I don't want to go to war with my actual Rivals because they're all allied and it would drag all of Europe into a world war. It'd be nice if they either loosened the requirements for being someone's Rival or expanded the Friendly/Neutral/Threatened/Hostile system so that you would get PP from beating up powerful nations without having them be full blown Rivals.

Still having a lot of fun with this patch though. Looking forward to the diploannex buffs, which will give Muscovy a pretty big boost at the start. Also I don't mind the 10-year rebels thing. The way I see it they should be that annoying if you don't spend a ton of resources on crushing them, and in terms of ~immersion~ I just think of it as the rebels successfully storming the capital of the province and taking it over before you show up and kick them out versus the rebels attacking the capital and getting crushed immediately. It makes sense that the former is seen as an accomplishment and inspires others for a decade to try and rebel as well. </spergy justification for gameplay mechanics>

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

VDay posted:

:agreed:

This is especially annoying when playing as Russia/Muscovy, since Novgorod and Kazan/Golden Horde stop being viable rivals like three years into the game once you take a bite out of Novgorod's territories, which is something everyone is going to do. Then the game suddenly decides that only western nations are powerful enough to be considered rivals, so the only choices I have are Poland, Lithuania, and Sweden/Denmark depending on how that mess unfolds.

I agree that Rival requirements could benefit from being less stringent, and the means by and rate at which you gain PP tweaked.

That said overall I think that if you become an unrivaled superpower than you should lose those bonuses. I've always seen PP as representing the kind of reflection of the benefits you get from having competition to motivate your country and it's institutions to unify and progress. Being a giant blob with no real rivals should cause some degree of stagnancy and instability to kick in, since it's both historical and helps keep the game interesting as a superpower.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Earn those power projection points. No one is impressed with Russia bullying Kazan.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Id like to see humiliate as a war goal avaliable on any nation but with the rewards scaling to bugger all from some tiny opm no threat ally to like now from your rivals (and maybe like france if your much smaller). Same cost.

There should also be a "gently caress you buddy" cb thats always available vs a rival. Make it double cost for everything like taking territory or releasing but 50 or 75% cost for humiliate and similar (forced access or forced transfer of trade).

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Kersch posted:

Rebels aren't supposed to add separatism or change religions in a province if the province borders a fort they don't control I think. At least that's what a paradox employee said on the paradox forums the other day

I thought everyone was complaining about that happening a couple pages ago. So they just didn't have forts adjacent to those provinces?

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
So remember how the patch notes mentioned adding an event that can give you a female heir? Well I just got it 3 years into my new Milan campaign and it's the female version of Lux Stella. No guaranteed 6 Stat, and only an average claim but you get 4 posible choices, 3 famous names, or a name from your culture, and you can see there stats ahead of time.

I ended up with a 3/5/5 Emma, so it looks like the Ambrosian Republic going to have to wait a while this time around. :j:

Edit: just realized the events going to fire anyway because of the average claim, well looms like I'm going to be eating a 3 stab hit. Still worth it assuming no horse riding accidents.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 12, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Frontspac posted:

I agree that Rival requirements could benefit from being less stringent, and the means by and rate at which you gain PP tweaked.

That said overall I think that if you become an unrivaled superpower than you should lose those bonuses. I've always seen PP as representing the kind of reflection of the benefits you get from having competition to motivate your country and it's institutions to unify and progress. Being a giant blob with no real rivals should cause some degree of stagnancy and instability to kick in, since it's both historical and helps keep the game interesting as a superpower.

Yeah it obviously shouldn't be easy to just sit at 100PP forever, but it just seems like a system where I start off getting it up to 50/70/100 and then completely ignore it for 90% of the game as my rivals quickly disappear or become unrealistic war targets. At least with prestige/legitimacy you get events and stuff that occasionally lets you affect them. PP just sits there, slowly ticking down. I'd be ok with Humiliation getting nerfed so that it's easier to do but gives way less PP so that if I want to be a dick and go around humiliating the entire world I can get some PP out of it.

Maybe they've thought about ways to expand the system and just haven't come up with a reasonable/balanced solution, who knows. I just think having a bunch of ways to get 5-10PP would be a nicer way of doing it than having to go to war with rivals and grabbing 50-60PP at a time when you humiliate them.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hotfix seems to have given me the "crash from Steam interface" bug.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

There should be a subject interaction to make your vassals fabricate claims. Welp, see ya

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Regarding Army Tradition, I took Aristocratic as my first military idea on my current TO -> Prussia (get yo goosesteppin' on) and it's been really nice. The removal of Embassies makes the +1 Diplomat pretty handy, and tighter MPs (and loss of Imperial Integrity's -10% tech cost) make that -10% Mil tech discount attractive. It's not as much actual military strength as the other military idea sets, but the individual ideas that seemed kinda oddball before are now very useful.

Also worth noting that Quality is easily competitive with Quantity again, I'd say. There's a potential +2 yearly AT from going Defensive + Quality.

Edit: I should point out that the "Reform into Prussia" decision the TO gets will remove your nation and all provinces from the HRE. So, uh, be aware of that.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Earn those power projection points. No one is impressed with Russia bullying Kazan.

It's less of a "I wish I had more PP" problem, and more of a "I don't really interact with this system/mechanic for most of the game" problem. I'm using Russia as an example because that's what I'm playing as my first CS game, but it could apply to any other blob as well. Russia is just kind of an extreme case because they only have like 5 neighbors in the East and they're all gigantic blobs that aren't powerful enough to be rivals because their territory sucks. It just seems kind of silly that the system is called Power Projection and yet you could literally own 98% of the territory on Earth and have low PP because you didn't go to war with any of your 2-3 rivals.

e: Also on the flip side of "I never use/get PP" is the fact that some countries have a super easy way to maintain 100PP by keeping their rivals around and just using them as alternating humiliation targets with off-setting peace treaties that they cycle through.

VDay fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 12, 2015

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Id like to see humiliate as a war goal avaliable on any nation but with the rewards scaling to bugger all from some tiny opm no threat ally to like now from your rivals (and maybe like france if your much smaller). Same cost.

There should also be a "gently caress you buddy" cb thats always available vs a rival. Make it double cost for everything like taking territory or releasing but 50 or 75% cost for humiliate and similar (forced access or forced transfer of trade).

Would love to see both of these. At a 60 forcelimit Ceylon I only have a possible rival in 160 forcelimit Ottomans but at 3 techs ahead I would totally get access across Persia to try and slap the poo poo out of them for a ton of PP while I sit around coring/annexing stuff.

The 100% warscore -> accept concede defeat bug is probably why I was seeing OPMs getting occupied then the war ending so often instead of being annexed.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm at full manpower and can't declare proper wars cause I can't make any diplo points for peace deals cause my king is a 0 diplo and I'm losing 5 diplo points every month annexing my vassal :thumbsup:

I'll just get my king killed to get around this, but c'mon now.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Elman posted:

I'm at full manpower and can't declare proper wars cause I can't make any diplo points for peace deals cause my king is a 0 diplo and I'm losing 5 diplo points every month annexing my vassal :thumbsup:

Piss them off so they go above 50 liberty desire and it will pause annexation until they are happy again!

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

I hope the detailed one is right.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So what's the strategy for a TO start? It's 1459 and I'm boxed in between allied Pommerania, Brandenburg, and Poland-Lithuania.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Vorpal Cat posted:

France lost its vessels and the extra force limit that came with them, and all the land they had now starts with like 50-70 autonomy instead. basically France went from having close to 40 starting regiments to 26 vs England's 25. Add in being able to call in Allies to the war and Burgundy getting stronger for the same reasons France is weaker and you Have France losing the HYW even without player intervention as often as not.

Also if anyone hasn't seen the Burgundian Inheritance this patch yet it's kind of funny, Burgundy will instantly inherit all of its PUs and vassals right before it explodes Like a star expanding right before it goes suppernova.

I tried a France game and after discovering that France now feels really underpowered, Burgundian inheritance never fired. Did they change the trigger conditions?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Fuligin posted:

So what's the strategy for a TO start? It's 1459 and I'm boxed in between allied Pommerania, Brandenburg, and Poland-Lithuania.

I allied Austria and used them as a hammer against poland Lithuania. Also snagged muscowy a bit later.

You can join hre straight off which is nice for expanding west.

Also remember when you form prussia you leave the hre but if brandenburg exists you vassalize them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fuligin posted:

Suck up to Austria until you can join the HRE, which isn't too difficult. Get another ally, Denmark, Bohemia, Hungary, maybe Muscovy. Go to town.

Once you're in the HRE expanding into Pommerania is pretty easy, and you can beat up the LO too and push eastward. Conserve manpower for the inevitable P/L dogpile, you're in a good position to just hide behind your forts and let them attrite themselves, you can pick your fights.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I've just been setting my vassals to Scutage (or whatever its called), in the vassal interaction tab. It avoids all that bullshit by keeping them out of wars to begin with, and getting 50% of their income is way more useful than getting a little army that's going to wander off into a massacre.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think a good solution to diplo-annexing would be to have time factor more into things. Conquering a country by vassalizing it, feeding it, then annexing it as soon as possible is gamey and never going to balanced right. If you want land, take land and pay for it. You should obviously be able to annex a vassal, but I think the price should start out high and go down the longer they are your vassal. So you'd never take a vassal with the goal of annexing them asap, if you want land asap you should demand the province in peace and core it. But that vassal you've had for 100 years, sure that's enough time that they can be affordably integrated into your empire.

I guess the main issue is that I think the gameplay mechanics should make it so that you are only taking a vassal if your short to medium term goal is to keep them as a vassal. And expanding indirectly by having a vast vassal empire should be an alternative to painting the map your colour, with pros and cons. Basically a vassal should not be assumed to be a temporary situation until you can gather up the dip points to annex them and the default way of blobbing.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
I just bought common sense and now I get a CTD after I press play in the launcher. I have tried verifying the cache, runnin as admin, deleting my mod map and all that fuzz, but to no effect. Is there anything else I can do?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is it a bug or is the parliament view supposed to play the Papacy View's soundbyte (the holy music thing)?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Zombiepop posted:

I just bought common sense and now I get a CTD after I press play in the launcher. I have tried verifying the cache, runnin as admin, deleting my mod map and all that fuzz, but to no effect. Is there anything else I can do?

I had the same thing after the hotfix. First turn off steam, then delete all your mods in your mods folder and run the eu4 launcher with steam off.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Are there any mods that allow the Papal States to become emperor of the HRE?

It would be amusing to be able to form the Even Holier Roman Empire.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I had the same thing after the hotfix. First turn off steam, then delete all your mods in your mods folder and run the eu4 launcher with steam off.

thanks, but no cheevos no game.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Zombiepop posted:

thanks, but no cheevos no game.

I don't think turning off Steam has anything to do with it, you just delete the folder.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Got it just under the wire :toot:

I like that points are stretched thinner. You get more reasonable results. If costs weren't increased I probably would've gotten this achievement with enough time left over to annex Asia but it took everything just to take India and keep up in admin tech.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Roadie posted:

Are there any mods that allow the Papal States to become emperor of the HRE?

It would be amusing to be able to form the Even Holier Roman Empire.

I believe that if the Imperial title becomes hereditary, then you vassalize and diplo-annex the Emperor, you become the Emperor. Note that you have to vassalize the Emperor after the title becomes hereditary because before then, if the Emperor becomes a vassal or lesser PU partner the title immediately goes to someone else.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I'm trying to run a cheaty multiplayer game with my brother. Is there any way to unlock the traditional console commands (cash, monarch points, etc) in multiplayer? Or alternatively, is there a modifier I can add to the player bonus to give us more monarch points?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Hmmm.

I can't seem to get the Endonym Empire mod to work.

I can click on it in the launcher, and start the game fine. But it doesn't do anything. Like the mod isn't making any changes.

Anyone mind grabbing the latest version and seeing if it works for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

What all determines how much development is needed per buildling slot? I have places with less slots even though the development is the same.

• Locked thread