Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I'm going with this mainly because I think the thread is heading towards a world of squabbling Roman successor states divided in every conceivable way from basic culture to Christian interpretations. Having all these powerful countries around trying to stab each other in the back would be Fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

We have enough Romes

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

My only concern with this (And the Pope-run HRE) is that those kingdoms are going to be unplayable from a gameplay standpoint.

If this is turned into a mod, there will be two regions locked out to the player.

You'd just need minor edits to the succession_laws.txt, or what I'd suggest, add a new new succession type called military clique or something that modifies the open elective a bit, so that the actual mercenaries don't get screwed up.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Can never have to many Romes.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Merdifex posted:

These realms all have a high enough crown law that they don't have any vassals, to represent the iron-fisted rule of a mercenary turned military dictator (who is elected by his cohorts.)

I mean, your whole thing is kinda hard to do in CK2, but this part is literally impossible.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Merdifex posted:

These realms all have a high enough crown law that they don't have any vassals, to represent the iron-fisted rule of a mercenary turned military dictator
High crown law lowers the number of vassals you can have, iirc, but there's no way to crank up demesne limits to the point that five dukes can directly rule all of Spain with no vassals.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Come on son!

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Seems like a fun mirror to the usual north-south split in Spain.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

THE LESBIATHAN posted:

I mean, your whole thing is kinda hard to do in CK2, but this part is literally impossible.

Mercenaries are by default duke level, and the areas have few enough province in them that the captain or whatever can have them all to himself, by giving him high enough demesne limit thru laws.

Ofaloaf posted:

High crown law lowers the number of vassals you can have, iirc, but there's no way to crank up demesne limits to the point that five dukes can directly rule all of Spain with no vassals.

I mean vassals above baron limit, to be sure, only the comital titles, I think, are few enough for one person

EDIT: Some of the larger duchies can have counts at their fringes, who are restricted by crown laws. The idea is that the dukes demesne limit is maxed out as much as possible.

EDIT: Or also possible, these don't have to be the same sort of titles as mercenaries, these could be king level titles instead, and they would be titular, so no actual de jure duchies duchies or whatever within the realm to give out

Merdifex fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 12, 2015

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

Merdifex posted:

Mercenaries are by default duke level, and the areas have few enough province in them that the captain or whatever can have them all to himself, by giving him high enough demesne limit thru laws.

Iberia has over 50 provinces. Even assuming that its just a flat 50, that's 10 per duke; unless they have crazy high legalism and stewardship, this is an impossible number of provinces to hold by themselves, no matter what kind of crown authority they have.

Again, that part is literally impossible within the game mechanics.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

THE LESBIATHAN posted:

Iberia has over 50 provinces. Even assuming that its just a flat 50, that's 10 per duke; unless they have crazy high legalism and stewardship, this is an impossible number of provinces to hold by themselves, no matter what kind of crown authority they have.

Again, that part is literally impossible within the game mechanics.

See above post, if the titles are king level, that ups the demesne size quite a bit. The rest of counties would be given to (non-feudal) vassals.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

What can I say, I feel bad for the fuckers.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
edit: vote changed to this

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 13, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Merdifex posted:

The maximum demesne limit a duke can have is 12, if that duke is a Grand Duke (i.e. holds two or more duchies) and has the maximum state stewardship ranking possible. That's +2 from being a Grand Duke (it'd be just +1 if the character was a single-duchy Duke), +4 from Centralization laws, and +6 from the combined stewardship score of the ruler, the steward and the ruler's spouse.

That limit, mind you, largely depends on the bonuses gained from being a brilliant personal steward married to another brillitant mind with yet another genius acting as steward. If someone even merely mediocre comes to power, that limit will be closer to just 6 provinces.

Five rulers ruling all of Spain directly between them is not feasible within the mechanics of the game.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

Merdifex posted:

See above post, if the titles are king level, that ups the demesne size quite a bit. The rest of counties would be given to (non-feudal) vassals.

It ups it to a base of three. Even given that, they'd still need to have really high legalism (above what everyone else in the would would have) and every single ruler would have to have really high stewardship.

So you're still wrong.

edit: And mercenaries still can't/won't marry so they aren't getting help from their wives. So yeah, its literally impossible.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Too many Romes already!

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

THE LESBIATHAN posted:

It ups it to a base of three. Even given that, they'd still need to have really high legalism (above what everyone else in the would would have) and every single ruler would have to have really high stewardship.

So you're still wrong.

edit: And mercenaries still can't/won't marry so they aren't getting help from their wives. So yeah, its literally impossible.

It isn't supposed to be super stable by design, and I wouldn't want to give them too much advantage in cultural technology, but if it really isn't going to work out, I guess I'll have to fall back on that other idea that may work...

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

A tale of three Romes please.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

We going full Rome.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

You can never have enough Romes.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Romance of the Three Romes.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Invasion of the Britons

Very similar to:

With the exception that the entire north of Hispania, including Asturias and large swathes of Tarraconensis, was invaded and settled by Britons from, well, Britain.

Fleeing Romano-British oppression in their own lands, they sailed forth with their best warriors and reached lands far and wide. Their attempted invasion of Armorica was repelled by the Goths, and so they finally found refuge in Hispania. The local lords were weak, and the invasion saw little in the way of obstruction.

They established many petty kingdoms and a few duchies, and were more than able to defend themselves from the weak remnants of the WRE in the south.

In time, they developed an unique culture, calling themselves the "Brythons" after the Latin name for them. They ruled over a mostly Hispano-Roman populace, but many areas of the north were largely depopulated, and the Brythons made up the majority in these areas, their Celtic tongue becoming the lingua franca.

Perhaps in time, a strong ruler will appear and unite all the disparate Brythonic realms, and establish the Kingdom of Brythonia.

The Brythons mostly picked up Arian Christianity from from the Goths, but many bought with them the worship of the old gods. Some druids remain in Asturia, although their religion is not the majority one.

The rest of the WRE, shattered by the Brythonic invasions and shattering apart at the centre, fell apart into smaller kingdoms under fledgling dynasties.

PLAN
Spread of Brythonic culture

Area under direct Brythonic rule

TL;DR : Celts in northern Spain.

Merdifex fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 12, 2015

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

catlord posted:

Romance of the Three Romes.

That which is long united must divide...and Ofaloaf must do everything he can to prevent that which is long divided from uniting.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Patter Song posted:

That which is long united must divide...and Ofaloaf must do everything he can to prevent that which is long divided from uniting.

Or unite it in a beautiful, more Gothic form.

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN

You can't have too many Romes.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Merdifex posted:

TL;DR : Celts in northern Spain.

i'd enjoy seeing this in combination with the yellow guy, who i've already voted for. the celto-roman struggle for iberia continues

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

oystertoadfish posted:

i'd enjoy seeing this in combination with the yellow guy, who i've already voted for. the celto-roman struggle for iberia continues

Huh, it could actually go with both. All I want is some interesting cultural mixes and spreads, and druids.

I guess then I will divide my suggestion into two:

quote:

Invasion of the Britons

Along with:

Celts in the north, divided Hispano-Roman kingdoms in the south.

quote:

Invasion of the Britons

Along with:

Celts in the north, Western Roman Empire in the south.

I vote for the former.

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Although I do like the Brythons idea.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

TTBF posted:

Although I do like the Brythons idea.

Count me in on this, any chance of a combination?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So, how is Islam faring in this history? Because that affects how we do thing in Iberia maybe.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Merdifex posted:

You'd just need minor edits to the succession_laws.txt, or what I'd suggest, add a new new succession type called military clique or something that modifies the open elective a bit, so that the actual mercenaries don't get screwed up.

Succession is hardcoded so :geno:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i bet merdifex knew this, and maybe it's been discussed and i missed it, but in case anybody else didn't know there seems to be some evidence that britons really did migrate to galicia in exactly this time period

quote:

There are however a dozen or so placenames in Galicia beginning with 'Brit-' or 'Bret-', which may (or may not) hint at a British influence. A distinctive feature of the Galician landscape is the castros, Iron-Age hill-forts of which there are several thousand in NW Iberia (see for example paper in E-Keltoi for more info). Intriguingly, one of the finest of these is the Citania de Briteiros, now in N Portugal but in what was formerly Galicia and close to where S Martin set up his monastery at Dumio.

The best-documented link between the British and a 'Brit' placename is however Bretoņa, described in a series of ecclesiastical documents from the C6 onwards. Put briefly, these document a British see, churches and a monastery (ad sedem Britonorum ecclesias que sunt intro Britones una cum monasterio Maximi) and one Mailoc, bishop of this see (Mahiloc Britonensis ecclesiae episcopus).

quote:

Though we do not know when the Britons arrived in Bretoņa, there is the curious fact that the tribe to the east of Bretoņa was called Albiones; a memorial stele to one Nicer Clutosi, 'Princeps Albionum', was found near Vegadeo in 1932, and is now in the Asturian Archaeological Museum in Oviedo. Albion/Albiones was also a term used by various Greek and Roman writers, including Pliny, to describe Britain and its inhabitants. It's clearly linked to Alba/Alban, the word for Scotland in modern Celtic languages, and is listed in the Celtic Lexicon of the University of Wales' Celticity Project as the Proto-Celtic root for Britain.

edit: ooh here's a real live book talking about it that you can read!

beautiful

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 13, 2015

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Succession is hardcoded so :geno:

The defines aren't, the actual mechanics for how the successor is selected and all that are.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

So, how is Islam faring in this history? Because that affects how we do thing in Iberia maybe.

Since that all of the options preclude Islamic takeover of Iberia, I guess either Muhammad tripped and hit his head on a rock at some point, or the caliphate is much smaller than OTL.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

oystertoadfish posted:

i bet merdifex knew this, and maybe it's been discussed and i missed it, but in case anybody else didn't know there seems to be some evidence that britons really did migrate to galicia in exactly this time period

if anybody has access to "History Today", there's an article about the topic in that publication that might, or might not, have anything to add

Yeah, that's what I based it on. Since Goths have a strong hold on Armorica, I think the stronger invasion of Iberia is possible, what with more migrants looking for a home.

A lot of Britonnic linguistic terms and names actually survive in Brittany even though they died out in Welsh and Cornish and such.
http://www.wales.ac.uk/Resources/Documents/Research/BretonPatronymsBritishHeroicAge.pdf
So it's very interesting to me to see Iberia grow into a major center for the Celtic language and culture, for the time being anyhow.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Merdifex posted:

Since that all of the options preclude Islamic takeover of Iberia, I guess either Muhammad tripped and hit his head on a rock at some point, or the caliphate is much smaller than OTL.

I'm sure we'll be having a vote on what happened in 7th century Arabia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zephyr42
Apr 19, 2012

I was gonna say Orange but that has no chance of winning now. I'll also say that the idea of Celtic Spain is a really interesting one to me and maybe doing something a bit more with Basques?