Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

I don't think this person knows what 'tripping balls' actually means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

trapped mouse posted:

sorry your comics suck so bad

God I miss Achewood.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
Why is the squirrel just a silhouette

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
He's a black squirrel. Don't be racist.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
I love the simplicity in Ray's "Daaamn! That answer could use some work!"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I love the simplicity in Ray's "Daaamn! That answer could use some work!"

todd is not good at answers

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Todd isn't good at just about anything you care to name.

gently caress why are some of these so good.

Just Offscreen has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Jun 12, 2015

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Todd is a crappy little bullshit man.

But in a good way.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

ok I'm sold.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
More evidence of Todd not being A Good Man:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

gently caress you thread I am starting to like achewood.
Christ what an rear end in a top hat.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Michaellaneous posted:

gently caress you thread I am starting to like achewood.
Christ what an rear end in a top hat.

Much like every other post you make, this one would be better without any text

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I miss when Achewood was good

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

The Mentalizer posted:

I don't think this person knows what 'tripping balls' actually means.

It's a pun.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's a pun.

It's a pun in the worst way, the way where it doesn't even work on a surface reading and also it's a pun.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

frajaq posted:

I miss when Achewood was good

Achwood is simultaneously never, always, and sometimes good. It's weird like that.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I didn't like Achwood and now I like it. Is this some kind of Stockholm syndrome?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I wonder why achewood, the literal antithesis to the concepts of art, comedy and quality, keeps being posted in this otherwise good thread.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Who knows man. Who knows.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's a pun.

How is that a pun?

I swear I'm not trying to PBF this poo poo, I'm just trying to figure out what the guy is trying to say. I mean, maybe it's because I'm not really familiar with Pokemon but I don't see how "I've got so many balls that I'm hallucinating" works as a pun.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Mentalizer posted:

How is that a pun?

I swear I'm not trying to PBF this poo poo, I'm just trying to figure out what the guy is trying to say. I mean, maybe it's because I'm not really familiar with Pokemon but I don't see how "I've got so many balls that I'm hallucinating" works as a pun.

Maybe .... he's got so many balls that they're piled up so much that he trips over them?

Yeah nah I've got nuthin'. :shrug:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Mentalizer posted:

How is that a pun?

He has so many pokeballs lying around that they are literally a tripping hazard. As in if you step on them you will very likely trip and fall. Thus you would be "tripping [on] balls". If the joke is still unclear to you then perhaps Highlights for Kids magazine would be more your speed.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Who What Now posted:

He has so many pokeballs lying around that they are literally a tripping hazard. As in if you step on them you will very likely trip and fall. Thus you would be "tripping [on] balls". If the joke is still unclear to you then perhaps Highlights for Kids magazine would be more your speed.

This is correct.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, no poo poo man. I assumed that was the 'joke' he was going for when I first saw it, but it was so stupid that I figured there had to be more that I was missing. 'Tripping balls' and 'tripping on balls' have such completely different meanings that it doesn't even work as a pun, it's just meaningless nonsense.

e: I do appreciate the snappy 'Highlights for Children' burn though, good stuff.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Jun 13, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Mentalizer posted:

Yeah, no poo poo man. I assumed that was the 'joke' he was going for when I first saw it, but it was so stupid that I figured there had to be more that I was missing. 'Tripping balls' and 'tripping on balls' have such completely different meanings that it doesn't even work as a pun, it's just meaningless nonsense.

e: I do appreciate the snappy 'Highlights for Children' burn though, good stuff.

I don't think you actually know what a pun is.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Who What Now posted:

I don't think you actually know what a pun is.

Like I said before, I don't really see how that works as a pun but if you'd like to educate me on the matter then knock yourself out. I'm always happy to admit when I'm wrong, so what am I missing?

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Puns are jokes based on homonyms and rhymes having unrelated or contradictory meanings. When you combine the literal meaning of what is said against the implied meaning it creates an absurd dichotomy, which we humans call "hu-mor".

Are there any other simple concepts your would like explained before you return to planet Autism to share what you have learned from us earthlings?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

how me a frog posted:

I wonder why achewood, the literal antithesis to the concepts of art, comedy and quality, keeps being posted in this otherwise good thread.

Its a lot better than three million loss edits, christ what an rear end in a top hat.

This last sentence shouldn't have text in it. Funnier that way.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hang on I got this this one is "loss", right?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Who What Now posted:

Puns are jokes based on homonyms and rhymes having unrelated or contradictory meanings. When you combine the literal meaning of what is said against the implied meaning it creates an absurd dichotomy, which we humans call "hu-mor".

Are there any other simple concepts your would like explained before you return to planet Autism to share what you have learned from us earthlings?

That's pretty good but I didn't ask what a pun was, I asked why you think this particular pun works. So either your reading comprehension is utter poo poo or you're purposely avoiding the question because you'd rather act like a giant shithead for no reason.

So since you're too busy being a sanctimonious rear end in a top hat to understand my point I'll rephrase it:

"The pun that the author is trying to make is awkward and poorly constructed, thus in my eyes it does not actually work as a pun but instead comes across as unrelated nonsense."

Now, since you apparently think that it is indeed a good and funny pun would you care to try and tell me why you think so? Or do you just want to fire off more lovely burns in an attempt to make yourself look smarter than you actually are?

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
Let's fight about jokes

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Sorry its not a brian clevenger comic my man

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Mentalizer posted:

That's pretty good but I didn't ask what a pun was, I asked why you think this particular pun works. So either your reading comprehension is utter poo poo or you're purposely avoiding the question because you'd rather act like a giant shithead for no reason.

So since you're too busy being a sanctimonious rear end in a top hat to understand my point I'll rephrase it:

"The pun that the author is trying to make is awkward and poorly constructed, thus in my eyes it does not actually work as a pun but instead comes across as unrelated nonsense."

Now, since you apparently think that it is indeed a good and funny pun would you care to try and tell me why you think so? Or do you just want to fire off more lovely burns in an attempt to make yourself look smarter than you actually are?

It works because:

Who What Now posted:

When you combine the literal meaning of what is said against the implied meaning it creates an absurd dichotomy, which we humans call "hu-mor".

Since you missed it the first time I'll explain it again:

Who What Now posted:

It's not hilarious but it is a pun. Maybe instead of throwing a hissy fit that someone is making jokes in the thread about funny comics you could read what is actually in those posts where your question was already answered. Or are your chronically twisted panties somehow cutting off circulation to your brain?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Jesus Christ, y'all. Stop. Just loving STOP.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Who What Now posted:

It's not hilarious but it is a pun. Maybe instead of throwing a hissy fit that someone is making jokes in the thread about funny comics you could read what is actually in those posts where your question was already answered. Or are your chronically twisted panties somehow cutting off circulation to your brain?

Look man, I'm not sure where you got the impression that I'm having a hissy fit. I asked a pretty simple question and the first thing you did was act like a dick after misinterpreting what I said (and then get progressively more insulting with every post).

I don't know why you think my point was so objectionable, but this is a lovely derail and it's getting retarded so I'm just gonna say thanks for clarifying your point and lets move on.

E:

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Jesus Christ, y'all. Stop. Just loving STOP.

I loving love Fingerpori, it never fails to make me laugh.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Jun 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

This whole thread is a lovely derail and the humor comes from people getting booty discomfort over it. The fact that any time someone tries to add content it gets dogpiled by people doing their best to shut it down is honestly the funniest goddamned thing.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Jun 14, 2015

• Locked thread