Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

frajaq posted:

Besides the android quest in Rivet City, did anything or anyone else reference the Commonwealth in Fallout 3?

Yes, but mostly in the DLCs. Doctor Li, that woman who worked alongside James on the water purifier mentions going to the Commonwealth in Broken Steel and Ashur in The Pitt says he wants to turn The Pitt into an industrial rival to the Commonwealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

I can kinda understand the NMA mindset just a lil bit since I love Diablo 1 and 2 and loathed Diablo 3 but at least I really liked most of the series of games before hating one.

I never played D1 or D2 but even I knew D3 sucked, especially since I coukbt play it for a week due to the servers being too clogged and error 37.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Groovelord Neato posted:

I can kinda understand the NMA mindset just a lil bit since I love Diablo 1 and 2 and loathed Diablo 3 but at least I really liked most of the series of games before hating one.

They did finally change poo poo up so that it's pretty drat fun now once the expansion hit so if you haven't played since then, consider giving it a shot. It's a lot more like Diablo 2, except that instead of fighting baal to... fight baal faster, you have an infinitely scaling thing that you try to beat your own (and everyone else's if you're into competing with poopsockers, I guess) personal best time/difficulty on. Plus they tend to make big changes to sets/legendaries or make new ones between seasons, and it's generally an actually fun thing to play.

e: The biggest change is that they altered things so what attributes your loot rolls is actually for whatever your class (or whatever class can equip it; you occasionally find class-specifics for other classes to poke you into maybe playing one of those) so you aren't constantly finding things that have mods good for multiple classes and therefore are poo poo for any of them.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 14, 2015

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Diablo 3 had this problem where replayability, a loving hallmark of diablo in the last two games, just wasn't there. I don't know if reaper of souls made it more fun, but the 2.0 patch didn't. Fallout 3 had tons of replay value. I think Blizzard's failings seem to come from a major change in priorities after their merger with activision, and are really different from Bethesda problems

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Part of what I like about the first two games was the storytelling/plot and no amount of patches or expansions will undo the joke that was Diablo 3's.

I also don't like the classes, nor really the look of the game..

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

Part of what I like about the first two games was the storytelling/plot and no amount of patches or expansions will undo the joke that was Diablo 3's.

I also don't like the classes, nor really the look of the game.
Diablo 2 was worth it for the line "the countess once bathed in the rejuvenating blood of a hundred virgins" spoken by Col. Campbell

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah it's still really disconnected in terms of general atmosphere, but you can just murder your way through waves of poo poo and have A Good Time again instead of having Blizzard constantly get rid of whatever thing that had a decent loot return for your time people happened to find that week because "that's not how it was meant to be played".

Italian Hell was a terrible game design decision and I'm glad it's dead and gone.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

frajaq posted:

Besides the android quest in Rivet City, did anything or anyone else reference the Commonwealth in Fallout 3?

There's a few mentions in logs and conversations, but the only thing I can distinctly recall is the captain of the ferry from the point lookout DLC talking about how he used to take trips there back when his boat was in better condition

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

hemophilia posted:

Diablo 3 had this problem where replayability, a loving hallmark of diablo in the last two games, just wasn't there. I don't know if reaper of souls made it more fun, but the 2.0 patch didn't. Fallout 3 had tons of replay value. I think Blizzard's failings seem to come from a major change in priorities after their merger with activision, and are really different from Bethesda problems

Reaper of Souls adds Adventure Mode, which is extremely replayable and basically once you've beaten the story and the extra act the expansion adds you never touch Story Mode ever again.

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
yah lets remove fun from game and add beepboop cartoon poo poo, shame on u blizzzarada

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
butbutbut we rtemoved monkeystomp cheatway(auctionhaassse) yot play game!?!? you like?!!? NO, gently caress oyou

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
howbout u add tampabay scaraba+= huh? mayvbe then wll talk

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Are you drunk? Like I get that you're trolling but are you also shitfaced? You're getting less comprehensible as the day wears on.

Which is cool I guess I mean it's Saturday.

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Are you drunk? Like I get that you're trolling but are you also shitfaced? You're getting less comprehensible as the day wears on.

Which is cool I guess I mean it's Saturday.

i just goodgeld ur name with image. do you wank to the litte carttona japeneese figuewre? answer now

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Graevling posted:

i just goodgeld ur name with image. do you wank to the litte carttona japeneese figuewre? answer now

No but the 5th GIS result was this guy and that's an av i used to have

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
u make a good a poitnt about the shitfavced thinfdg. time too sleep. hope u are noit mad on me american animne man :( good night

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
ahahah liek th e dancing frong sleep tihgt anglosax :) :) hUffgz

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i was thinking about recent additions to bethesda's formula that they might put in FO4 and it got me thinking about radiant quests. my recollection was of them being fairly harmless but thinking about it I remember them being used to prop up and pad out the (bad) guild questlines, to gate buying a house in a hold behind something generic and arbitrary, and generally to make todd's content-boner ever larger. if these are in FO4 in anything resembling their present incarnation i hope to gently caress the combat and dungeon design is entertaining since their only purpose is to waste your time in dungeons

in conclusion; please stop finding excuses to send me to holes in the ground tia

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 14, 2015

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Generic Monk posted:

, to gate buying a house in a hold behind something generic and arbitrary,

I think that's kind of unfair, since there's always enough proper quests in the towns for you to become a Thane or whatever, so I guess the radiant quests just allows you to do it quicker if you want.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Crabtree posted:

I doubt they'll ever answer what happened to Canada, but if they do, they'll probably just make Quebec their Enclave that massacres anyone that doesn't speak their french correctly.

Quebec got the gently caress murdered out of it, which is why the survivalist's rifle has the French word "arrêt" scratched on the stock. There's probably nothing left based on how disturbed Randall Clark was by it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The only thing I want in this game is a fast travel point directly to the Player House

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

i was thinking about recent additions to bethesda's formula that they might put in FO4 and it got me thinking about radiant quests. my recollection was of them being fairly harmless but thinking about it I remember them being used to prop up and pad out the (bad) guild questlines, to gate buying a house in a hold behind something generic and arbitrary, and generally to make todd's content-boner ever larger. if these are in FO4 in anything resembling their present incarnation i hope to gently caress the combat and dungeon design is entertaining since their only purpose is to waste your time in dungeons

in conclusion; please stop finding excuses to send me to holes in the ground tia

poo poo, all the guild quests were excuses to send you to holes in the ground too. And the side quests, too. gently caress, I cannot remember a single quest that didn't involve you going to a dungeon outside of the main quest in Skyrim.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

frajaq posted:

The only thing I want in this game is a fast travel point directly to the Player House

:agreed:

Some houses that aren't houses would be cool too. I remember FO3 mods added a cool looking water tower one, but most of them were just ridiculously over the top.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Shamus posted part 2.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I remember one interview Bethesda did where they said they never really go into a definitive pre-planning stage where they think everything they're doing through, they just get their higher-ups together to think of a few cool ideas and then wing it from there, and that's probably why their games look like a disjointed mess. It's like doing the bare minimum on your rough draft and than you just write the rest of your essay putting down whatever poo poo you can think of without really giving a gently caress if it meshes with anything else you wrote.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Speaking of Salvatore's, one thing I missed in the new generation of Fallout was the old world mystique of energy weapons.

It's in service of gameplay balance, but being able to find laser weapons on any random fiend feels wrong. I also don't particularly like the ramshackle look of FO3's EWs.

I think the explanation for the Fiends having so many energy weapons was that Vault 3 was full of them for some reason, so when they took it over, they got all the weapons.

I don't think there's anything wrong with energy weapons not being super-rare, but I do agree about the look of the weapons themselves. I think they're ugly as hell. They look more like industrial tools than state of the art military hardware. That, or they look like the very first prototypes of energy weapons, like they were just trying to figure out how to make them work and didn't care about making them streamlined or anything. The plasma weapons are particularly bad, and the LAER looks like a goddamn hair dryer. I also didn't like the alien weapons in FO3, but I chalk that up to me not liking the 1950s motif in general.

At least I can mod it, otherwise I probably wouldn't use energy weapons at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Laser Tommy Gun is the best gun in any game ever.

Also that's literally the point of the energy weapons, big 50's style industrial look with loads of doohickeys hanging off them, temperamental and prone to breakage but powerful when they work.

This is the same setting that has nuclear powered Cadillacs and giant 2 ton robots programmed in BASIC, and a big slingshot that fires miniature nuclear bombs. Stupid, inefficient and wasteful but horrifyingly powerful is sort of the whole point of the pre-war high-tech.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 14, 2015

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Laser Tommy Gun is the best gun in any game ever.

Also that's literally the point of the energy weapons, big 50's style industrial look with loads of doohickeys hanging off them, temperamental and prone to breakage but powerful when they work.

This is the same setting that has nuclear powered Cadillacs and giant 2 ton robots programmed in BASIC, and a big slingshot that fires miniature nuclear bombs. Stupid, inefficient and wasteful but horrifyingly powerful is sort of the whole point of the pre-war high-tech.

Like I said, I don't care for the 1950s motif. It's something I have to try to ignore or mod away where I can. But that's the beauty of mods; I can make my laser rifles look like 40k lasguns and be on my way.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

There's a few mentions in logs and conversations, but the only thing I can distinctly recall is the captain of the ferry from the point lookout DLC talking about how he used to take trips there back when his boat was in better condition

That reminds me, what happened to New York City?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pmchem posted:

Yup, truth.

I played Wasteland as a kid. I love Fallout. I love what modders can come up with and the open-world environments. I enjoy the Bethesda games.

But I hate how buggy Bethesda releases are, and I hate how early patches create major, new problems and it's not a one-time thing. Bethesda management seems to place little priority on QA, or fixing problems found by QA, whatever it is.

So much love/hate. Given that the reddit leak pegged October 2015 as the release for FO4 over a year in advance, I can only fear that there are major QA issues that will go unaddressed in order to hit a ship date. Tempting to just wait for a steam sale months later or a GOTY edition, when stuff is fixed and mods are flourishing.

To be fair, fallouts have to be a bitch of a game to test and patch. Every combination of decisions you make presents a different game to whoever plays it, and the potential for new bugs. If you count each piece of dialogue, there's got to be thousands of different ways to do a playthrough.

"bob, did you check that mission where you discuss turning in chief hanlon and he commits suicide after you killed everyone at all the ranger stations because you started working with the legion after you already started that mission once you were done with forging the misfits performance results like i asked?"

"...piss."

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

drkeiscool posted:

Shamus posted part 2.

What is this guy's problem? There are plenty of trivial answers to his complaint, if only he would bother to continue his analysis past the totally superficial.

- What do they eat?

Uhhh, at least 3 of Moira's main quests (you know - pretty much the only NPC who actually gives you any significant number of quests in the whole drat game) are specifically designed to provide answers to this question. There is practically no crop production in the DC wasteland, because the water is radioactive. This is explicitly stated, just accept that much, please, seeing as you even admit in the article that you wont be holding radiation to realistic standards. It therefore makes no loving sense to have any living plants (or farms!:)) anywhere in DC. People eat by HUNTING, harvesting what little sustenance the wasteland can provide (brahmin, molerats, mirelurk eggs, DOGMEAT, bloatfly flesh, radroach meat, Iguana bits), or scavenging food left over from before the war and then doing their best to detoxify it (adding wonderglue, making mirelurk cakes, using the FOOD SANITIZER that Moira gives you, just taking lots of RadAway etc.). Explicit reference is made that almost everyone is dying of radiation sickness or starving to death or dying of thirst because of the inadequate food supply and improper processing. Nuka-cola (A DRINK) is practically the highest commodity. Wastelanders even (the horror!) revert to cannibalism (for which there are not one, but several PERKS). Supermutants eat EVERYTHING. Ghouls eat EVERYTHING. Wild Dogs eat EVERYTHING. Especially juicy Vault-dwellers. As if that wasn't enough, at least two FOODS evolved to absorb radiation (cave fungus, and the punga fruit). Not to mention SWEETCAKES. SHUT UP about the Mr. Handy - the player house is the one space in the game where explicit rules can be broken for the convenience of the player, ideally once they have finished the game.

So shut up with your idiotic question! Most of the few decent quests in the whole game are totally devoted to SURVIVING IN THE WASTLAND, primarily by teaching the player where and how to look for food. There is constant reference to food, indeed most of the creatures you kill will drop a type of food on their corpse. Just because you didn't eat it because ~Rads~ doesn't mean it isn't there. In fact it is quite refreshing having loot drops that are so worthless that you can leave them behind, because that minimises inventory bloat.

One decent loving quest in the whole game, most of it about FOOD, and this genius's main criticism is that it isn't made explicity clear enough what people eat? Especially when there isn't even a mechanic for HUNGER! FOr fucks sake why not ask the important question - like why there are no lasting visual indicators of radiation poisoning or other diseases/mutations on the player or NPCs - especially when so much effort went into allowing you to customise your character? Bethesda could surely have modified the ageing or ghoulification or raider-dirty-face system if they wanted to half-rear end it, as FWE did quite successfully. Wouldn't it be fun to try to maintain your character's appearance/health/status as non-ghoul by avoiding radiation? That could almost be type of reward...

That's without even thinking about how the idea of scarcity might be different in a world that had utopian technology even in the 50s (incidentally, this also answers the question of how the packaged food lasted so long - it ain't regular packaging) The whole premise of the entire series of Fallout games!!! is that the technology to effortlessly repopulate and provide for the entire world already exists!!! so there is still hope for the future however distant it may seem.

Incidentally, this is partly why NV is so infuriating - it misinterprets all of the many totally valid nods to continuity that were scattered around in F3, and hamfistedly turns the game into a Cowboy themed Sims-lite of pointless farming, crafting and gambling(???) without doing any of the legwork that would have been trivial to accomplish off the back of F3 (as evidenced by FWE).

Flaky fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 14, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flaky posted:

What is this guy's problem? There are plenty of trivial answers to his complaint, if only he would bother to continue his analysis past the totally superficial.

- What do they eat?

Uhhh, at least 3 of Moira's main quests (you know - pretty much the only NPC who actually gives you any significant number of quests in the whole drat game) is specifically designed to provide answers to this question. There is practically no crop production in the DC wasteland, because the water is radioactive. This is explicitly stated, just accept that much, please, seeing as you even admit in the article that you wont be holding radiation to realistic standards. It therefore makes no loving sense to have any living plants (or farms!:)) anywhere in DC. People eat by HUNTING, harvesting what little sustenance the wasteland can provide (molerats, mirelurk eggs, DOGMEAT, bloatfly flesh, radroach meat, Iguana bits), or scavenging food left over from before the war and then doing their best to detoxify it (adding wonderglue, making mirelurk cakes, using the FOOD SANITIZER that Moira gives you, just taking lots of RadAway etc.). It is explicitly made reference to that almost everyone is dying of radiation sickness or starving to death or thirst because of this. Nuka-cola (A DRINK) is practically the highest commodity. Wastelanders even (the horror!) revert to cannibalism (for which there is are not one, but several PERKS). Supermutants eat EVERYTHING. Ghouls eat EVERYTHING. Wild Dogs eat EVERYTHING. Especially juicy Vault-dwellers. As if that wasn't enough, at least one FOOD has evolved to absorb radiation (the punga fruit).

So shut up with your idiotic question! Most of the only decent quest in the whole game is totally devoted to SURVIVING IN THE WASTLAND, primarily by teaching the player where and how to look for food. There is constant reference to food, indeed most of the creatures you kill will drop a type of food on their corpse. Just because you didn't eat it because ~Rads~ doesn't mean it isn't there. In fact it is quite refreshing having loot drops that are so worthless that you can leave them behind, because that minimises inventory bloat.

One decent loving quest in the whole game, most of it about FOOD, and this genius's main criticism is that it isn't made explicity clear enough what people eat? For fucks sake why not ask a decent question - like why there are no lasting visual indicators of radiation poisoning or other diseases/mutations on the player, especially when so much effort went into allowing you to customise your character? Wouldn't that be fun? To try to maintain your character's appearance/health/status as non-ghoul by avoiding radiation?

same

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hell there were even some guys who were raising mirelurks for delicious crab meat!

Also I remember that there was a fair amount of molerats near Megaton, and there was even a scientist trying to make their meat more palatable

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Flaky posted:

- What do they eat?

Uhhh, at least 3 of Moira's main quests (you know - pretty much the only NPC who actually gives you any significant number of quests in the whole drat game) are specifically designed to provide answers to this question. There is practically no crop production in the DC wasteland, because the water is radioactive. This is explicitly stated, just accept that much, please, seeing as you even admit in the article that you wont be holding radiation to realistic standards. It therefore makes no loving sense to have any living plants (or farms!:)) anywhere in DC. People eat by HUNTING, harvesting what little sustenance the wasteland can provide (brahmin, molerats, mirelurk eggs, DOGMEAT, bloatfly flesh, radroach meat, Iguana bits), or scavenging food left over from before the war and then doing their best to detoxify it (adding wonderglue, making mirelurk cakes, using the FOOD SANITIZER that Moira gives you, just taking lots of RadAway etc.). It is explicitly made reference to that almost everyone is dying of radiation sickness or starving to death or thirst because of the inadequate food supply and improper processing. Nuka-cola (A DRINK) is practically the highest commodity. Wastelanders even (the horror!) revert to cannibalism (for which there are not one, but several PERKS). Supermutants eat EVERYTHING. Ghouls eat EVERYTHING. Wild Dogs eat EVERYTHING. Especially juicy Vault-dwellers. As if that wasn't enough, at least one FOOD has evolved to absorb radiation (the punga fruit). Not to mention SWEETCAKES.

... If radioactive water kills plant life, wouldn't it kill animal life, too? Where, then, are dogs and molerats and whatnot getting their non-radioactive water (that plants wouldn't also have access to)? If the answer is 'well, animal life has just adapted to much higher radiation levels', then why doesn't eating their highly radioactive meat harm a totally non-mutated Vault Dweller?

Like, I get what you're saying to a degree, but it seems like that explanation requires a very specific level of suspension of disbelief.

Edit: I think the correct rebuttal to that video is simply 'the game takes place 20-50 years after the apocalypse, they were just forced to change it because someone at Bethesda has a hard-on for ~*~chronological sequels~*~ and they couldn't throw in dumb call-back poo poo like Harold otherwise.'

VV Thanks, that's a pretty solid rebuttal and some good information to boot, but I still think the whole DC Wasteland foodchain makes no sense if you take into account the fact that plant life is thriving on the West Coast and just a bit south in Point Lookout. It just seems easier to go with the above answer.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 14, 2015

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

... If radioactive water kills plant life, wouldn't it kill animal life, too? Where, then, are dogs and molerats and whatnot getting their non-radioactive water (that plants wouldn't also have access to)? If the answer is 'well, animal life has just adapted to much higher radiation levels', then why doesn't eating their highly radioactive meat harm a totally non-mutated Vault Dweller?

Like, I get what you're saying to a degree, but it seems like that explanation requires a very specific level of suspension of disbelief.

Actually that one is simple, and borne out by real-world examples. Animals simply tend to live shorter lives, so their reproduction is less affected by radiation, whatever the source. This also can be used to explain the mass-extinctions that are sure to have taken place in the intervening 200 years (the more specialised and hence less adaptible creatures have all died out, which is why there are few or no eg.birds, small mammals etc)

Flaky fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 14, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drkeiscool posted:

Shamus posted part 2.

quote:

Two hundred years ago, men wore knee-high stockings, powdered wigs, and got married at 14 years old.

No, they didn't.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SunAndSpring posted:

I remember one interview Bethesda did where they said they never really go into a definitive pre-planning stage where they think everything they're doing through, they just get their higher-ups together to think of a few cool ideas and then wing it from there, and that's probably why their games look like a disjointed mess. It's like doing the bare minimum on your rough draft and than you just write the rest of your essay putting down whatever poo poo you can think of without really giving a gently caress if it meshes with anything else you wrote.

In the initial stages of Oblivion, Todd Howard wanted to "bounce some ideas" off of somebody for a few storylines he was working on, but nobody was available (who wasn't already under NDA) except for Pete Hines, who is borderline illiterate--and Kirkbride had already left by this point in development. "I never trusted him [Michael Kirkbride, chief writer of Morrowind]," Hines remarked. "He always wanted to work by himself, and focus on parts of characters and settings that players shouldn't care about."

Howard and Hines proceeded to stay up all night writing what would become a staggering three-fifths of Oblivion's main quest and "pillar" quests (i.e. the Thieves, Mages, and Fighters guilds, and Daedric quests). "For the Daedric quests, a lot of the basic stuff was already there," Howard explained. "We ended up taking a lot of what happened in the equivalent Morrowind quests and...basically sort of 'mad libbing' it: Replacing this item with a different item, changing the name of an NPC...but fundamentally, they were the same things.

"We didn't do too many ancillary and side quests that night because Hines had really developed an obsession with 'Nirnroot' (which he wanted to call "nerdroot"), a relatively useless ingredient for [Oblivion's] alchemical system. By that point, Nirnroot was all over the place, but Hines insisted on NPCs acting like they had never heard or the seen the stuff before. 'It needs to be a mystery. Nobody will want to do the quest if it revolves around mushrooms or flowers they can find all over the place.' So we ended up building an entire quest around discovering a plant that was everywhere. It worked pretty well, though."

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Flaky posted:

- What do they eat?

Uhhh, at least 3 of Moira's main quests (you know - pretty much the only NPC who actually gives you any significant number of quests in the whole drat game) are specifically designed to provide answers to this question. There is practically no crop production in the DC wasteland, because the water is radioactive. This is explicitly stated, just accept that much, please, seeing as you even admit in the article that you wont be holding radiation to realistic standards. It therefore makes no loving sense to have any living plants (or farms!:)) anywhere in DC. People eat by HUNTING, harvesting what little sustenance the wasteland can provide (brahmin, molerats, mirelurk eggs, DOGMEAT, bloatfly flesh, radroach meat, Iguana bits), or scavenging food left over from before the war and then doing their best to detoxify it (adding wonderglue, making mirelurk cakes, using the FOOD SANITIZER that Moira gives you, just taking lots of RadAway etc.). Explicit reference is made that almost everyone is dying of radiation sickness or starving to death or dying of thirst because of the inadequate food supply and improper processing. Nuka-cola (A DRINK) is practically the highest commodity. Wastelanders even (the horror!) revert to cannibalism (for which there are not one, but several PERKS). Supermutants eat EVERYTHING. Ghouls eat EVERYTHING. Wild Dogs eat EVERYTHING. Especially juicy Vault-dwellers. As if that wasn't enough, at least two FOODS evolved to absorb radiation (cave fungus, and the punga fruit). Not to mention SWEETCAKES. SHUT UP about the Mr. Handy - the player house is the one space in the game where explicit rules can be broken for the convenience of the player, ideally once they have finished the game.

So shut up with your idiotic question! Most of the few decent quests in the whole game are totally devoted to SURVIVING IN THE WASTLAND, primarily by teaching the player where and how to look for food. There is constant reference to food, indeed most of the creatures you kill will drop a type of food on their corpse. Just because you didn't eat it because ~Rads~ doesn't mean it isn't there. In fact it is quite refreshing having loot drops that are so worthless that you can leave them behind, because that minimises inventory bloat.

One decent loving quest in the whole game, most of it about FOOD, and this genius's main criticism is that it isn't made explicity clear enough what people eat? Especially when there isn't even a mechanic for HUNGER! FOr fucks sake why not ask the important question - like why there are no lasting visual indicators of radiation poisoning or other diseases/mutations on the player or NPCs - especially when so much effort went into allowing you to customise your character? Bethesda could surely have modified the ageing or ghoulification or raider-dirty-face system if they wanted to half-rear end it, as FWE did quite successfully. Wouldn't it be fun to try to maintain your character's appearance/health/status as non-ghoul by avoiding radiation? That could almost be type of reward...

That's without even thinking about how the idea of scarcity might be different in a world that had utopian technology even in the 50s (incidentally, this also answers the question of how the packaged food lasted so long - it ain't regular packaging) The whole premise of the entire series of Fallout games!!! is that the technology to effortlessly repopulate and provide for the entire world already exists!!! so there is still hope for the future however distant it may seem.

Incidentally, this is partly why NV is so infuriating - it misinterprets all of the many totally valid nods to continuity that were scattered around in F3, and hamfistedly turns the game into a Cowboy themed Sims-lite of pointless farming, crafting and gambling(???) without doing any of the legwork that would have been trivial to accomplish off the back of F3 (as evidenced by FWE).

You, uh, seem very emotionally invested in this. I'm sorry?

So, people hunt animals? What do those animals eat, since all plant life is dead, so things that eat plants are dead, so things that eat them are dead...?

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

...the whole DC Wasteland foodchain makes no sense if you take into account the fact that plant life is thriving on the West Coast and just a bit south in Point Lookout. It just seems easier to go with the above answer.

I actually agree with you here, there should be very few plant species surviving at all anywhere in the Fallout universe. With the honourable exception of cave-fungus of course (assuming you count it as a plant). I would dearly have loved a mod that covered the DC metro's dankest corners in fungi of various types. Would have been a neat tie-in with TES games too...

drkeiscool posted:

You, uh, seem very emotionally invested in this. I'm sorry?

I just see 'critics' making the same dumbass observations about things they don't like again and again and proposing totally moronic solutions. I mean, criticise the games all you want, that's fine, we should all try to hold games to a high standard, and people clearly like the games and want to see them improve over time. But ultimately, if the criticism of the game is poorly reasoned, then that is going to be reflected by the mods put out by modders and by the developers in the next game who are going to presumably try to improve certain aspects of the game based on those criticisms. You want those criticisms to be well founded. I was merely being hyperbolic because it really is just a terribly thought through critique and really misses what the whole game and even series is about at a fundamental theoretical level. Like why are you even playing this game if all you want to do is farm or whatever?

Flaky fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If you're wondering how people in a 50s-inspired nuclear wastelander eats and breaths, and other :science: SCIENCE! :science: facts, repeat to yourself "It's just a game, I should really just relax."

• Locked thread