Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

open steam, right click the game, go to properties, click the DLC tab, and see if the DLCs are there but just not enabled for some reason.

Says "You currently have no downloadable content for this product". So I guess maybe I am mistaken about what version I purchased (it was back when F:NV was still relatively new probably) and Steam is just saying that the product is in my Library when it really isn't and I just have the base game.

Thanks for the help, I don't use Steam very often and didn't know about the right click - properties thing.

Edit: Mystery solved. I found my purchase history, and I bought the game (for full price even) back in November of 2010. The ultimate edition didn't come out until 2012. I have no idea why the store says I own the ultimate edition when clearly I don't, but I just assumed that was what I'd purchased since that's what the store told me.

Thanks for the tips everyone, and sorry for the dumb question. :)

The Locator fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I love this game and I love Radio New Vegas but sometimes when I go into a fight I really wish it was to something fitting and not crooning Blue Moon.

Not always! Just sometimes.

I'm trying to decide if creating a custom radio station is worth the time and effort involved in deciding which songs to play.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Some people got sick of the butcher pete song but I really liked it. :black101:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Do you get forgiven by the NCR when the trooper gives you the invitation outside the Lucky 38, or when you report to the ambassador about the Boomers?

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

khy posted:

I love this game and I love Radio New Vegas but sometimes when I go into a fight I really wish it was to something fitting and not crooning Blue Moon.

I'm trying to decide if creating a custom radio station is worth the time and effort involved in deciding which songs to play.

i feel like if i add a custom radio station i'll just ruin the atheistic of the game.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mapparu posted:

i feel like if i add a custom radio station i'll just ruin the atheistic of the game.

Agreed, but how else can I have madmax apocalyptic flamethrower guitar going on during the battle for Hoover Dam?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mapparu posted:

no gods no masters

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So what do you guys use your favor from the king for?

I've always found the only real way to use it is to join the kings. Money is super easy to come by, getting on the strip has never been difficult for me, and honestly killing off pacer is much more enjoyable than using a favor to complete King's Gambit.

Plus I don't think there are any other hair stylists in the game, might as well go for the one perk that gives you something you couldn't otherwise get!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

khy posted:

So this game and Fallout 3 both have pretty good soundtracks actually. A fact I only began to appreciate after I finally turned the radio off. At first it was just because I was hopelessly sick of hearing the same ten songs (Big Iron really does come up way more often than the rest and it's terrible), but afterward I really began to see the games differently. The atmosphere is a little moodier and you don't have to worry about weird tonal dissonance between music and gameplay. These days I only listen to the radio if I happen to be somewhere where one is playing (I actually really like walking into a bar and hearing some Western song warbling from the jukebox in the corner) or, occasionally, if I'm exploring an especially dull stretch of wasteland. I'm beginning to suspect that was actually how it was meant to be used.

Mapparu posted:

I'm inclined to disagree in principle because I think you could do a really thematic and immersive new station if you got the tone right, but in practice I'm not sure I've seen a custom playlist that really works. Too many of them have songs that fit the theme or era, but not the tone. The main ones I've seen go all-in on songs with obvious lyrics (Commies! Space! Atoms!) and pack the lists with samey-sounding lounge/big band tracks that are heavy on 50s signifiers and light on musical diversity. I also feel like the playlists are almost always too long. The in-game selections are actually really well curated. Each song is doing something slightly different from the last one and they cover a range of genres and styles, but you can play them in just about any sequence and they feel like they fit together. It's much harder to get that effect with 50 or 100 songs on the playlist, and I'm not sure anyone has succeeded.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

Some people got sick of the butcher pete song but I really liked it. :black101:

Big Iron by Marty Robbins is the best song in the game. :colbert:

So I've cleared out the Fort, but can't get into the secret bunker to get to Benny. Am I stuck since I chose to slaughter everyone instead of working with the slaver dudes?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Locator posted:

So I've cleared out the Fort, but can't get into the secret bunker to get to Benny. Am I stuck since I chose to slaughter everyone instead of working with the slaver dudes?
If Benny fled towards Fortification Hill, you won´t find him in the Securitron vault. Check any nearby tents.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I could live the rest of my life never hearing butcher Pete again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I tried a couple of mods that added radio stations but had to go back to Radio New Vegas because it just didn't feel right playing without Mr. New Vegas hitting on his listeners and Big Iron and Johnny Guitar playing.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If I nuke the NCR and/or Legion at the end of lonesome road, can I immediately reverse the reputation penalty with the console and get all the sweet, sweet loot without any repercussions, or does nuking them do more than just give max infamy? Specifically, I'm doing an NCR playthrough right now, will it fail the main quests automatically or piss everyone off irreversibly? I still want to finish the game and buy crazy amounts of bullets from the quartermaster and that sort of thing.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Wheeeeeeeee I loving love dust storms.

Little details make a huge difference. Cass looks GOOD in black leather.

And Veronica looks good in Black Scribe robes! No more homeless-looking sackcloth robes for her!

I still think she needs a ponytail haircut. Veronica's character fits a ponytail so perfectly.

Here's my latest character, given the most pretentious name I could. Atticus.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
khy presents: a group of goths in the desert

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

/
               /

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I got the platinum chip and destroyed the robot army. Turns out the only way into that dumb area was to go into Ceasar's tent and kill everything, since I was reviled by them and Benny was in his tent. Even though I wiped out everyone in the Fort and killed Ceasar, I still get visited by the assassin teams. Oh well, more stuff to shoot.

Now I'm trying to get into Nellis. I went in the front way, got blown up. Rather than try the dodging from house to house thing, which I don't get the trick to since sprinting from the entrance I get exploded before I can get to the first house, I tried the secret back door via the railway tunnel, which supposedly completely gets around the artillery. Step out of the tunnel, start trucking into the area, and get artillleried into oblivion again. Doesn't matter if I'm hiding or not (that's some amazing spotting action the Boomers have going on), and once again, I can't get to any cover at a sprint before the arty homes in on me.

I hate puzzles.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

The Locator posted:

Now I'm trying to get into Nellis.

Take lots of drugs and following the cliff face edge to the left of the blown out houses usually works.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Hug the northwest wall as you approach

khy
Aug 15, 2005

JawKnee posted:

khy presents: a group of goths in the desert

Not my fault the only decent 'alternative outfit' mods I could find for Cass/Veronica were black. I would love other choices but the problem I keep running into is that most alternate outfit mods are A) horribly immersion breaking, B) gently caress with their appearance (usually in a bad way), or C) Never moved past the concept art stage.

I just like alternate outfits because I like unique characters. Too bad only Raul, ED-E, and Boone get them in the base game. Hence why I mod them in.

I'm totally open to suggestions though if anyone knows good alternatives.

Though it's entirely my fault for choosing the black Armored Duster instead of the brown version but honestly New Vegas has enough brown I didn't think I needed to add any more.

khy fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 14, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Poolparty posted:

Take lots of drugs and following the cliff face edge to the left of the blown out houses usually works.

Or take two Turbos and run right at the gate. They can see past stealth boys and Brotherhood armour but they aren't trained to handle a methed-up psycho running right at them.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

khy posted:

Not my fault the only decent 'alternative outfit' mods I could find for Cass/Veronica were black. I would love other choices but the problem I keep running into is that most alternate outfit mods are A) horribly immersion breaking, B) gently caress with their appearance (usually in a bad way), or C) Never moved past the concept art stage.

I just like alternate outfits because I like unique characters. Too bad only Raul, ED-E, and Boone get them in the base game. Hence why I mod them in.

I'm totally open to suggestions though if anyone knows good alternatives.

Though it's entirely my fault for choosing the black Armored Duster instead of the brown version but honestly New Vegas has enough brown I didn't think I needed to add any more.

I never even considered sticking veronica in scribe robes, I usually just dump power on her immediately but that mod looked pretty good!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Raygereio posted:

There's no engine limitation that prevented them from adding dialogue to a base game NPC via DLC. Bringing in Felicia Day to record a few lines would probably have put them over their VA budget, or something like that.

There are engine limitations with different modules talking to each other, especially on the consoles with their seriously limited memory. Its can also be stupid expensive/difficult to get the same VAs in to do more work, which is why veronica only gets the holotape from father elijah because that dialouge was prerecorded iirc.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Started doing Honest Hearts and the Survivalist's terminal entries are still depressing as gently caress, even after reading them for the umpteenth time :smith: .

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Duckbag posted:

So this game and Fallout 3 both have pretty good soundtracks actually. A fact I only began to appreciate after I finally turned the radio off. At first it was just because I was hopelessly sick of hearing the same ten songs (Big Iron really does come up way more often than the rest and it's terrible), but afterward I really began to see the games differently. The atmosphere is a little moodier and you don't have to worry about weird tonal dissonance between music and gameplay. These days I only listen to the radio if I happen to be somewhere where one is playing (I actually really like walking into a bar and hearing some Western song warbling from the jukebox in the corner) or, occasionally, if I'm exploring an especially dull stretch of wasteland. I'm beginning to suspect that was actually how it was meant to be used.

I'm inclined to disagree in principle because I think you could do a really thematic and immersive new station if you got the tone right, but in practice I'm not sure I've seen a custom playlist that really works. Too many of them have songs that fit the theme or era, but not the tone. The main ones I've seen go all-in on songs with obvious lyrics (Commies! Space! Atoms!) and pack the lists with samey-sounding lounge/big band tracks that are heavy on 50s signifiers and light on musical diversity. I also feel like the playlists are almost always too long. The in-game selections are actually really well curated. Each song is doing something slightly different from the last one and they cover a range of genres and styles, but you can play them in just about any sequence and they feel like they fit together. It's much harder to get that effect with 50 or 100 songs on the playlist, and I'm not sure anyone has succeeded.

The radio station extended mods Secret Stash and Mojave Extended from the modding thread do exactly that: extend the soundtrack to 80-100 songs that are all thematically appropriate and fit well with the original selections. It helps that they grab many of the quest title reference songs, including the otherwise notoriously absent Elvis hits. There's one for Old World Blues' mysterious broadcast too which is also top-notch. They're my number 1 most recommended mods, really.

Of course, I love Radio New Vegas even in vanilla, but part of that is just nostalgia from riding around in my grandmother's car and listening to the same old tape of crooner hits.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that having Christine go back to the Mojave to meet up with a past lover might be at odds with the "Let go of the past and move forward, for good or ill" theme that Obsidian kind of had going through the entire DLC story arc.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

There are engine limitations with different modules talking to each other, especially on the consoles with their seriously limited memory.
What I think you're referring to is neither a memory, nor a console-specific problem. That's a loadorder and compatibility issue, which is also present on the PC.

When multiple plugins edit the same asset, which ever one is last in the loadorder overwrites all changes made by the other plugins. Let's say I have a perk that boosts the damage of any equipped energy weapon. For that perk to work, you'll want to have a list of all energy weapons for the game to check when it needs to apply the damage boost.
Now let's say two DLCs add new energy weapons. Both would want to add their own weapon to that list off course. However if both were to edit the list directly, whichever one is loaded last would effectively remove the other's weapon from the list.
You can't include the weapon from the first DLC, in the changes the second DLC makes to the list. Because doing so would be forcing people to buy DLC 1 when they want to buy DLC 2 and can cause the game to crash on startup because it can't set the loadorder on its own.
Mods often use compatibility patches to solve this, but that's not really an option for DLC since the distribution system on both console and PC doesn't support something like that.
In certain cases you can work around this problem. In the above example both mods can add their weapon to the list via a script. This way no base game assets are directly editted. Just the copy of it in the save file. However workarounds like that aren't always possible.

That said: all that doesn't even apply here: You don't need to edit any base game assets in order to add dialogue to a base game NPC. Multiple dialogue quests (from multiple plugins) can use the same NPC.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that having Christine go back to the Mojave to meet up with a past lover might be at odds with the "Let go of the past and move forward, for good or ill" theme that Obsidian kind of had going through the entire DLC story arc.

I just want my cheerful badass brotherhood chick to be happy once the game's over. She happily explodes people's heads in showers of gore with her power fist, jokes and cheerfully banters with you, and wants to look good in a sexy dress while doing it. How can you NOT like her and want her to be happy?

Granted I still think the better option would have been a romance with a female courier that ends with the two of them controlling the strip together.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

And I still think it'd be best if it went:

"I found Christine!"
"..who?"

khy
Aug 15, 2005

As much as I see people mock and insult Mountain Dew and Doritos for 'game fuel' and the like, it really is a good idea. I was thinking that it'd be pretty awesome if Coke decided to join in on the fun and make Nuka Cola for FO4's release. I'll admit it, I'm not a fan of colas but I'd totally buy several nuka cola bottles just because I'm gay for fallout.

ALSO :

The reunion between Christine and Veronica would be kind of awkward given that Christine is part of the group that's in charge of making sure the BoS stays true to its core principles, while Veronica is trying to get the group to change and adapt.

khy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 14, 2015

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

khy posted:

As much as I see people mock and insult Mountain Dew and Doritos for 'game fuel' and the like, it really is a good idea. I was thinking that it'd be pretty awesome if Coke decided to join in on the fun and make Nuka Cola for FO4's release. I'll admit it, I'm not a fan of colas but I'd totally buy several nuka cola bottles just because I'm gay for fallout.

ALSO :

The reunion between Christine and Veronica would be kind of awkward given that Christine is part of the group that's in charge of making sure the BoS stays true to its core principles, while Veronica is trying to get the group to change and adapt.

well pepsi already made it's own sunset sarsaparilla

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Man finished New Vegas for the first time, and the Wild Card ending where I nuked the NCR AND the Legion then ruled the Strip (and the strip alone) with an army of Robots really hit home a 'King of the ashes' oval office vibe that few games do. It was immensely satisfying (and a bit shocking) to see parts of Legion and NCR territory completely hosed by the nukes I launched. Adding those areas to let the player visually see the impact of what they did was a great touch. The societal impact of your actions really hit home in a game where the setting is built up as well as NV.

In short, great play-through. Going to have to do a run which doesn't involve the immolation of millions(?) of men women and children in nuclear fire though.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

well pepsi already made it's own sunset sarsaparilla

That has as much to do with Sarsparilla as Crystal Pepsi or Dr Pepper.

I dunno if you've tried it or not but REAL sarsparilla is drat similar to root beer.

khy fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 14, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I used to get Sioux City Sarsaparilla all the time when I was a kid, so Sunset Sarsaparilla makes me feel nostalgic whenever I see it in-game.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I liked the addition of Sunset Sarsparilla as an alternative to Nuka Cola, it was a nice touch.

Wait - post war, they can make new chems, but they can't make more Nuka-Cola, right? So what happens when the supply of Nuka-Cola finally runs out? Hmmm....possible Fallout 4 plot point? Pick what faction gets the Nuka-Cola formula, giving them the power to rule the wastelands.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

2house2fly posted:

I can totally buy biometric seals, but I'd also buy that once you get out into the badass wasteland you'd have cyberpunk hackers who could turn off the seals so they couuld, eg, remove the pip boy without getting stains on it.

Doc Mitchell outright says that the Pip-Boy he gives the Courier was his own. You can also switch between the Pip-Boy and Pimp-Boy 3 Billion freely without needing to swap arms and change clothing all you want even if the sleeves could have never logically fit over the Pip-Boy (like putting on power armor or a spacesuit). Either Stanley was lying/wrong in-universe or Bethesda made a dumb decision and Obsidian decided to revert it. But it's pretty much canon that you can remove a Pip-Boy without amputation, biometric seals be damned.

quote:

Wait - post war, they can make new chems, but they can't make more Nuka-Cola, right? So what happens when the supply of Nuka-Cola finally runs out? Hmmm....possible Fallout 4 plot point? Pick what faction gets the Nuka-Cola formula, giving them the power to rule the wastelands.

I've done a lot of research into soft drink manufacture, and the only way Nuka-Cola is going back into production in Fallout is with artificial flavoring made in a lab. Real colas are made with a unique formula consisting of various spices, herbs, and fruits. This is believed to be an original Coca-Cola recipe:

Alcohol: 8 oz
Orange oil: 20 drops
Cinnamon oil: 10 drops
Lemon oil: 30 drops
Coriander oil: 5 drops
Nutmeg oil: 10 drops
Neroli oil: 10 drops

You'd need active citrus and spice production to keep making most colas, plus plenty of sugar or honey. Unless someone manages to chemistry up some artificial flavoring, Nuka-Cola will eventually run out.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 14, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

chitoryu12 posted:

You'd need active citrus and spice production to keep making most colas, plus plenty of sugar or honey. Unless someone manages to chemistry up some artificial flavoring, Nuka-Cola will eventually run out.

Honest Hearts would disagree with you.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

khy posted:

That has as much to do with Sarsparilla as Crystal Pepsi or Dr Pepper.

I dunno if you've tried it or not but REAL sarsparilla is drat similar to root beer.

Yeah I just meant the packaging v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I've done a lot of research into soft drink manufacture, and the only way Nuka-Cola is going back into production in Fallout is with artificial flavoring made in a lab. Real colas are made with a unique formula consisting of various spices, herbs, and fruits. This is believed to be an original Coca-Cola recipe:

Alcohol: 8 oz
Orange oil: 20 drops
Cinnamon oil: 10 drops
Lemon oil: 30 drops
Coriander oil: 5 drops
Nutmeg oil: 10 drops
Neroli oil: 10 drops

Yes, please tell me more about the economics of a fake Coke knockoff in a fictional post-apocalyptic world by basing it on an old Coke formula, nevermind the fact you can make your own in New Vegas that's close enough to the real thing that the only difference is it's name.