Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

All the flagship Nintendo franchises haven't had good entries in ~10 years other than remakes, and a lot of the remaining characters are retro.

so you haven't played a mario, donkey kong, kirby, pikmin, metroid, animal crossing, zelda, or punch out game in ten years huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Though I still question why anyone gives the slightest gently caress about Roy when he's one of the worst lords and from one of the worst games in the series. :shrug:

The people who care about Roy are the people who played Melee as a kid and have never touched a Fire Emblem game.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Ruggington posted:

so you haven't played a mario, donkey kong, kirby, pikmin, metroid, animal crossing, zelda, or punch out game in ten years huh

the punch out games are bad

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Seagull posted:

Counterpoint: The Fire Emblem games are bad, the Punch-Out games are good.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Seagull posted:

:The little guy that says yikes and leaves:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So this dude on Serenes just up and out of the blue released a completed romhack yesterday. The sprites are okay-ish (what the heck is going on with Ash though), but it's pretty tough so far and the story's not bad, so check it out if you want something new Fire Emblem.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

All the flagship Nintendo franchises haven't had good entries in ~10 years other than remakes

I will fight you

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ruggington posted:

Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 were 2007. Pikmin 2 was 2004. Wind Waker was 2002. F-Zero GX was 2003. Star Fox 64 was 1997(?) Donkey Kong Country 3 was a SNES game. Sonic Advance 3 was 2004. I'll give you Punch Out because I didn't even know there was a game for the Wii, and I guess there are some people that probably care about Animal Crossing.

So that's 2 more characters to add to the 4 I already listed, and otherwise 8 years minimum for the last good entry in any of those franchises, other than remakes. :wow:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 15, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Wind Waker was 2002

I will fight you

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Terper posted:

So this dude on Serenes just up and out of the blue released a completed romhack yesterday. The sprites are okay-ish (what the heck is going on with Ash though), but it's pretty tough so far and the story's not bad, so check it out if you want something new Fire Emblem.

This is hella awesome.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Terper posted:

Maybe it's because I just came from reading The Last Promise's LP, but drat this has some pretty legit good writing to it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tropical freeze was good and came out last year, what the gently caress man

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I will fight you

Sorry, I forgot Minish Cap came out after Wind Waker. 2004 then. That's still 11 years of bad Zelda games that are almost entirely forgettable.

Nintendo hasn't really made many good first/second party games recently. Fire Emblem Awakening was an exception to that, even if it also kind of lags behind in actual gameplay compared to the older stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Holy gently caress, you're trolling or have bad tastes if you legit think that objectively.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyone who dislikes Mario 3D World should be banned imo.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Nintendo hasn't really made many good first/second party games recently.

what the gently caress

mods????

Seriously though, I contend that literally every first/second party Nintendo game made recently is pretty good.

So what convoluted criteria are you using to get your definition of a good game? Because I seriously don't know what you're thinking here.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

^ Pikmin 3, Luigi's Mansion 2, Other M, New Super Mario World Land 3D plays Tennis at the Olympic Games.

Tae posted:

Holy gently caress, you're trolling or have bad tastes if you legit think that objectively.

I'm pretty sure the entire Zelda fanbase would disagree with you that disliking Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass constitutes trolling or bad taste.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 15, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm pretty sure the entire Zelda fanbase would disagree with you that disliking Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass constitutes trolling or bad taste.

But you're not arguing that.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 were 2007. Pikmin 2 was 2004. Wind Waker was 2002. F-Zero GX was 2003. Star Fox 64 was 1997(?) Donkey Kong Country 3 was a SNES game. Sonic Advance 3 was 2004. I'll give you Punch Out because I didn't even know there was a game for the Wii, and I guess there are some people that probably care about Animal Crossing.

So that's 2 more characters to add to the 4 I already listed, and otherwise 8 years minimum for the last good entry in any of those franchises, other than remakes. :wow:

Mario 3d land/world, link between worlds, dkc returns+tropical freeze, pikmin 3, sonic isn't even Nintendo and advance 3 was bad what the gently caress, and animal crossing is insanely popular

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Literally a good Zelda game got released 2 years ago

Maybe you need to look up what actually came out recently if that's your reference to recent Zelda games

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hi, I am shortest path and I will continue to pretend my tastes are universal and will never admit I'm wrong because I'm not an adult

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tae posted:

Hi, I am shortest path and I will continue to pretend my tastes are universal and will never admit I'm wrong because I'm not an adult

I mean, I have yet to meet another human being that hasn't thought Pikmin 3, Other M, Sticker Star, or the newer Luigi's Mansion was really bad compared to the prior entries in their respective series. Everyone I've seen discuss those games has been disappointed in them, and they weren't commercially successful enough to call them relevant to the average video games player that picks up Smash. You can keep putting words in my mouth though I guess.

EDIT: This conversation really doesn't have any relevance to the Fire Emblem thread though so we probably shouldn't keep derailing on a massive tangent.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
ITT: People get super upset about peoples tastes in Nintendo games.
NITT: Fire Emblem talk. Lets change that.

Did you know that the Dawn Brigade actually has a decent amount of Backstory? It's just not actually in Radiant Dawn because... that was less important than I'm not sure what. It sounds like it'd make a good intro campaign to

Micaiah posted:

Micaiah used to live as a fortune teller travelling throughout Daein, while having the capital, Nevassa, as her base. Although she looks like a girl of 15-16 years old, she won’t disclose her true age.

Until the end of the Mad King’s War, three years ago, she generally disliked garnering public notice and didn’t really talk to anyone but her little brother, Sothe. After the war, while staying in Nevassa in order to reunite with Sothe, who had gone astray during the war, she got along with others for the first time. While coming into contact with people, their vitality and their kindness towards their fellow countrymen touched her heart deeply.

Micaiah has so far displayed the powers of reading minds, healing wounds by transferring them into her own body, and sensing nearby danger. However, she starts thinking that she might not be able to save others by using those powers.

Sothe posted:

Micaiah’s younger brother, albeit unrelated by blood. Many mistake him for her elder brother judging by their appearance – however, by talking with Micaiah, it becomes clear that she’s the older one.

He was born in the back alleys of Daein’s capital, Nevassa, and picked up by Micaiah, living with her as family since his childhood. He steals for a living. Having fought in the Crimean Army under General Ike, his fighting spirit and prowess with a knife are at a level of excellence unexpected for a thief.

Yune (bird) posted:

A small bird with orange feathers. It showed up in front of Micaiah after the war, and has not left her alone since then. As the word “Yune” suddenly popped up in Micaiah’s head the first time Yune landed on her finger, the bird has been thus called ever since.

Nolan posted:

Nolan was a successful merchant since a young age, but lost his fortune and status when betrayed by his associates. After that, losing his faith in mankind and without any hope, he started living as a tramp in the back alleys.

At first, he thought the Mad King’s War was none of his business. However, when he discovers that large amounts of his fellow countrymen’s blood were being spilled due to the violence of Begnion’s occcupation army, who had entered the country as if it were their own, Nolan regains his willpower through his desire of saving them.

Leonardo posted:

Son of a local noble, Leonardo lost his father and older brother in the Mad King’s War, and became an orphan as his mother soon followed them.

After Daein’s defeat in the war, the military school where Leonardo studied falls into the Occupational Army’s hands. While everyone is being sent to the prison camps, he flees alongside a few colleagues. However, those colleagues are captured, one after another, and Leonardo ends up being the last remaining one. When he loses his way and is cornered by the Occupation Army, he’s stopped by a youth of his age, who saves him. That was his first encounter with Edward, who would later become his best friend.

Edward posted:

Edward was born and raised in the back alleys of Daein. Never having seen the faces of his parents, he lived on bravely, never losing his cheerfulness and hope even though he was at the very bottom. During Daein’s war with Crimea, there was a rumor that skilled individuals were being recruited as soldiers independently of their status. Based on that, Edward, thinking that he could perhaps leave that lifestyle behind, started training in order to become skilled with a sword. However, Daein soon lost the war, and that dream was crushed.

Eventually, the occupation army started the crackdown on the back alleys, but Edward’s characteristic quick wit and nimbleness allowed him to skillfully run from place to place and keep on living. At the time, he saves Leonardo by chance. In exchange for teaching the clueless Leonardo how to live in the underworld and ways of avoiding his pursuers, Edward is taught the basics of fighting, and the two quickly become friends.

The Dawn Brigade posted:

The hatred towards the Occupation Army dispatched by the Begnion Empire increased day after day and, eventually, Micaiah announces that she wants to save the people of Daein. Sothe then questions Micaiah, who had always feared and disliked being concerned with other people, why she came to her decision. However, seeing it as a good tendency, he follows her designs and begins working in order to hinder the occupation soldiers’ activities.

Edward and Leonardo, while avoiding their pursuers, arrive together in Nevassa and take refuge in the back alleys for a few days. However danger draws closer and closer to them. There, suddenly, they’re saved from their predicament by Nolan!

Once Nolan gets to know that Edward and Leonardo had no other friends, he invites the duo to join him in his efforts to hinder the Occupation Army’s operations. Feeling the implicit consideration that he couldn’t leave the two of them to their own luck, they glady start operating together with him. On the other hand, as Micaiah and Sothe notice that there are other people doing the same thing as they are, they try getting in touch with them.

While Nolan and the others were being pursued, Sothe invites and guides them to one of his own hideouts. At that time, they soon loosen up as Micaiah heals Leonardo, who had been wounded in battle. Knowing that they all wanted to save many Daeins, even if alone, they join efforts.

As they start wondering that it’d be better to have a name when they started acting, Micaiah suggested “dawn” as if she had a sudden inspiration. As daybreak’s light was just reaching the alley they were in, everyone agreed with the idea. They also unanimously decided that Nolan, the oldest among them, would be their leader for the time being. Thereafter begins the resistance movement known as the “Dawn Brigade”.

The Nolan, Edward and Leonardo stuff are the monster interesting to me since, like everyone not named Pelleas and Skrimir in the game, they don't really have a character, they have some traits.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

All of that backstory would have made excellent support convo fodder, and made the Dawn Brigade feel less irrelevant throughout the entirety of the game than they do as-is, for sure.

It's a real drat shame supports got the axe in Radiant Dawn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I blame the desire to have every single character from PoR come back.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The amount of characters was fine, FE10 still has less than FE6. The pacing and unit restrictions just needed to be less... utter poo poo.

The lack of supports was probably more of a time restraint than anything.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Clarste posted:

I blame the desire to have every single character from PoR come back.

I blame them not knowing what they wanted to do with a sequel and only having a year basically to make it. Because they planned to do support conversations http://serenesforest.net/fe10/supportcut.html

They just didn't wind up doing them, I wrote a few conversations based on the list.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The amount of characters was fine, FE10 still has less than FE6.
FE6: 53, 54 if you count Merlinus
FE10: 72, 73 if you count Black Knight or Lehran, 74 if you count both

Also man, some of those scrapped supports are really interesting conceptually. I'd pay money just for the Makalov x Naesala support.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 15, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think the split army idea was bad conceptually, but if they were going to do it they should have cut Elincia's part entirely to give the Dawn Brigade more chapters. There's a reason the game turns into the Ike show with occasionally appearances by the Dawn Brigade - they barely get any screentime after Part 1. It even bleeds over to gameplay, with the Dawn Brigade not having nearly enough time to catch up to the greil mercs in terms of power. I'm convinced the only reason Laguz give so much EXP in FE10 is to give the Dawn Brigade a chance to maybe be on the Mercenaries' level.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So Roy went from being terrible to improving to a ridiculous extent

Roy is the best FE character in Smash now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

I don't think the split army idea was bad conceptually, but if they were going to do it they should have cut Elincia's part entirely to give the Dawn Brigade more chapters. There's a reason the game turns into the Ike show with occasionally appearances by the Dawn Brigade - they barely get any screentime after Part 1. It even bleeds over to gameplay, with the Dawn Brigade not having nearly enough time to catch up to the greil mercs in terms of power. I'm convinced the only reason Laguz give so much EXP in FE10 is to give the Dawn Brigade a chance to maybe be on the Mercenaries' level.

My solution is stil the SRWZ solution. Start the game with a route split for 20 chapters where you build up your arm and then you fight the other routes army, then the armies combine to curb stomp noses.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The main problem there is that if you choose the split at the start there'd be a definite player bias towards Ike's side, since he'd be the one people are familiar with. That said it's still a good idea, I'd just do it more like 'you play a few maps of each character's side, THEN choose your side.' Give Mickey and Sothe a chance to make people like them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

gently caress it! Final turn on chapter 3, Marco, I'm not dealing with this bullshit! You're dead, dead and gone!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

The main problem there is that if you choose the split at the start there'd be a definite player bias towards Ike's side, since he'd be the one people are familiar with. That said it's still a good idea, I'd just do it more like 'you play a few maps of each character's side, THEN choose your side.' Give Mickey and Sothe a chance to make people like them.

Or you make the game prevent you from continuing on to the army vs army battle without playing the other story. Or you establish a 4ish or so chapter prologue based on the Dawn Brigades origins up there, and then from there you can choose. So new players have gotten a chance to get to know Micaiah's gang and her mode is a natural continuation.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

TheKingofSprings posted:

So Roy went from being terrible to improving to a ridiculous extent

Roy is the best FE character in Smash now.

At least he's good in one game. :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eleeleth posted:

At least he's in one good game :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eleeleth posted:

At least he's good in one game. :v:

So Melee isn't a good game?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It is, but he stealth edited his message. :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Onmi posted:

no

fight me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Onmi posted:

Melee is fine, Roy is just bad in it.

I ayes as him a bit this morning, he's different then I normally go for, but I like him.