Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
So I don't know if this is intended behavior or not, but I stumbled across something today. I kept trying to get the PU with France mission as England, and it just wasn't loving firing. I would even cancel other missions, use the console to clear the wait time, and recheck, and it was just never there after a bunch of tries. All that would fire were missions to increase my army/navy, discover America, and reclaim Armagnac or Poitou. As that was kind of my goal as England, to PU France, I restarted. Only thing I did differently was not choose France as my rival, and suddenly, there it was. I think somehow the rival status prevented me from getting the mission, which seems like unintended behavior, since obviously I would want to rival my biggest rival, France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cantorsdust posted:

So I don't know if this is intended behavior or not, but I stumbled across something today. I kept trying to get the PU with France mission as England, and it just wasn't loving firing. I would even cancel other missions, use the console to clear the wait time, and recheck, and it was just never there after a bunch of tries. All that would fire were missions to increase my army/navy, discover America, and reclaim Armagnac or Poitou. As that was kind of my goal as England, to PU France, I restarted. Only thing I did differently was not choose France as my rival, and suddenly, there it was. I think somehow the rival status prevented me from getting the mission, which seems like unintended behavior, since obviously I would want to rival my biggest rival, France.

I got it after rivaling France, though it took a number of years (and a smaller war with France).

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm colonizing the new world but I'm getting this treaty of Tostitos scoops giving me -20 to growth. Is there any warning to this or a way to see which regions are already claimed by which powers?

Click on uncolonized land and you should see which nations claimed it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cantorsdust posted:

Conditions are here: http://www.eu4wiki.com/English_missions#Force_union_on_France

Was your army larger than theirs in both infantry and cavalry?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Well hello there big spender

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
Man they made IA insanely easy to get this patch. I could have formed the HRE by 1550 as Bohemia. And the Reformation is weaker than ever too: . The only HRE member to get a center of reformation somehow instantly converted it back to Catholic to boot.

DeeEmTee fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 15, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Reformation did pretty well for itself in my England game, despite one of the centers of reformation spawning in... Iceland.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The reformation is just as random as it always was. In my game they got the British isles, most of the HRE, and France. Probably because it skipped Scandinavia completely, which seems rare.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

Drone posted:

The Reformation did pretty well for itself in my England game, despite one of the centers of reformation spawning in... Iceland.

I assume there is, theoretically, some sort of limit in the game's actual code, but I feel like as long as there's a Center of Reformation literally anywhere, and your state religion matches it, you'll be converted in no time. In my last game, the Centers of Reformation for Protestants were all right next to each other in Switzerland/France/Northern Italy and I was still getting conversions up in Prussia (Teutons + Pomerania).

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
All of the centres in one place actually sounds like it would do a hell of a job converting Europe. It wouldn't spread too fast, but it would be nigh on impossible to curb.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Playing as Scotland early start all dlc but common sense. Given that North Sea trade node is.'upstream' from English channel, how do I stop the auld rosbif foxkillers from siphoning trade away from NS to EC? I can win more trade power in NS sure but that's only a percentage of the amount that stays in the node right? Am new to this game

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mugsbaloney posted:

Playing as Scotland early start all dlc but common sense. Given that North Sea trade node is.'upstream' from English channel, how do I stop the auld rosbif foxkillers from siphoning trade away from NS to EC? I can win more trade power in NS sure but that's only a percentage of the amount that stays in the node right? Am new to this game

Get the majority trade power in the node and then embargo England.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Mugsbaloney posted:

Fortunately it doesn't work that way. England's power is what moves value downstream, so the more you get, the lower their percentage - and thus more trade value stays in North Sea, then after that your slice of the trade value pie is determined so it essentially doubles up. Embargoing England (IF you have more trade power than them), sinking their ships, taking their provinces (best option) and anything else you can think of that fucks with their trade power will also improve your income.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Cantorsdust posted:

For me it didn't fire until I had substantially reduced France though wars (also Burgundy took a slice). Not such a bad thing though because they were small enough to remain loyal and big enough to fight my land wars.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

The conditionals are:

England has more cavalary than France
England has more infantry than France.
England has more provinces than France.

If you build 2 mercenary infantry and 1 mercenary cavalary at the start you will normally get it. Best off not rivalling anyone until you do as that could block a mission slot.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah, I just took an old save from the game where I had rivaled France, edited out the rivalry, and loaded it back up. Immediately there. And I had met all the prior conditions as well. I know what the stated conditions for the mission are, but after 20 or so mission reloads, it just wasn't coming up. It's just odd.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Anyone done Baltic Crusader yet? I had one go, but scuttled it because I kept getting into fruitless wars where I wasted resources trying to figure out the new mechanics. My first instinct is to pal up wtih Austria and poo poo all over Pomerania before turning around and gobbling up the Livonian Order...thoughts?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Another Person posted:

nope, gotta wait for their cores, also never give a vassal or PU partner over 100% overextension, especially not one as bad with rebs as Lithuania, they will explode

If you give Lithuania a lot of wrong culture land they may take Humanist ideas and if you don't then you're in for a world of hurt when you press the big button and integrate them (true story)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have more money than God but I can't spam buildings anymore :smith:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah, I just took an old save from the game where I had rivaled France, edited out the rivalry, and loaded it back up. Immediately there. And I had met all the prior conditions as well. I know what the stated conditions for the mission are, but after 20 or so mission reloads, it just wasn't coming up. It's just odd.

Missions work on a priority system. You will never get a lower priority mission through rerolls. You can dig one deeper down the list by taking and cancelling a mission, but past that you have to either eliminate higher missions or trigger multipliers on the mission you want. I had to drop my rivals to get the Austrian mission to PU Hungary because the rival missions were blocking it, and I've often taken/not taken certain provinces as Ottomans to close off/open missions (don't take Alexandria if you don't want to conquer Tripolitana/Tunisia, etc).

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Pretty impressed with AI Riga, Teutonic Order, and Ryazan (killed Muscovy & formed Russia)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Higsian posted:

Missions work on a priority system. You will never get a lower priority mission through rerolls. You can dig one deeper down the list by taking and cancelling a mission, but past that you have to either eliminate higher missions or trigger multipliers on the mission you want. I had to drop my rivals to get the Austrian mission to PU Hungary because the rival missions were blocking it, and I've often taken/not taken certain provinces as Ottomans to close off/open missions (don't take Alexandria if you don't want to conquer Tripolitana/Tunisia, etc).

Now I understand. I thought priority weighted the chances of a particular mission coming up, not strictly picking the top 3. Thanks.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Is there any rule of thumb for investing in province development? Can I even ignore development altogether? With monarch points being so scarce I'd rather put my points into sexier alternatives like tech, ideas, cores or even reducing inflation.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

GSD posted:

First Catholic state to form a CN in a given region claims it.

Also be warned that if a vassal or PU partner forms a CN they will still get upset at you for colonizing there.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

TTBF posted:

Also be warned that if a vassal or PU partner forms a CN they will still get upset at you for colonizing there.

Not to mention the pope being miffed.. They really do everything they can to make Catholism as unattractive as possible.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Rincewind posted:

England would be good-- they have an English monarchy government so you can start playing around with that right away, they have the advantage over France right now (and you don't start out in the HYW anymore so you can keep France at arm's length if you want), and even if meddling in continental affairs blows up in your face you can hide on Great Britain. This means you have a lot of freedom to fully engage with trade, colonization, the new development system, etc. without your entire country burning down without warning.

Oh, no more HYW? That makes England mighty tempting then.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Contingency Plan posted:

Is there any rule of thumb for investing in province development? Can I even ignore development altogether? With monarch points being so scarce I'd rather put my points into sexier alternatives like tech, ideas, cores or even reducing inflation.

You should always do your best to only tech up when you get the -5-10% discount unless you're in a war and need the military tech. If you're a European nation, you should have a lot of spare tech points even after coring things.

Rule of thumb is to:
-upgrade provinces that need another building slot
-upgrade diplomacy on gold mines (careful they can break if upgraded too far) or other high production value provinces that make more than admin would
-upgrade admin on lowest cost places that give around .14 per point
-upgrade military on places that give around 400MP per hit.

That's what I've seen looks about right. Gold provinces make a ton of money per upgrade point. Basically you can upgrade anything in farmland and get a good bonus out of it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Contingency Plan posted:

From what I've seen so far as Western tech, if you're spending a lot on cores and diplo annexation then you won't have a lot of points left for development.

I understand conceptually that development should allow me to get bigger without having to keep invading and vassalizing, but... my neighbors just broke their alliance, and their provinces are right there... And I'm already paying army maintenance, so...

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008

aeglus posted:

You should always do your best to only tech up when you get the -5-10% discount unless you're in a war and need the military tech. If you're a European nation, you should have a lot of spare tech points even after coring things.

Rule of thumb is to:
-upgrade provinces that need another building slot
-upgrade diplomacy on gold mines (careful they can break if upgraded too far) or other high production value provinces that make more than admin would
-upgrade admin on lowest cost places that give around .14 per point
-upgrade military on places that give around 400MP per hit.

That's what I've seen looks about right. Gold provinces make a ton of money per upgrade point. Basically you can upgrade anything in farmland and get a good bonus out of it.

Any strategy on what to develop on provinces with a lot of trade power? Currently have a "tall" Genoa game going and not sure how to most efficiently develop my provinces. Torn between upgrading tax vs production in the trade provinces. Thinking I'll focus on manpower in my non-trade provinces.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And don't forget you can essentially convert money into monarch points via advisors. Got money to burn? Hire a +3 advisor, even if it puts you at a loss. You're converting gold to points.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

TomEmanski posted:

Any strategy on what to develop on provinces with a lot of trade power? Currently have a "tall" Genoa game going and not sure how to most efficiently develop my provinces. Torn between upgrading tax vs production in the trade provinces. Thinking I'll focus on manpower in my non-trade provinces.

If you have high trade power in the nodes, you get to essentially double-dip on Production, because you get the money from Production and the money from Trade.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So, how do you tell your colony to attack another colony? It should be an option now but I can't find it anywhere.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Elman posted:

So, how do you tell your colony to attack another colony? It should be an option now but I can't find it anywhere.

You can't. You can subsidize them so they build a bigger army and screw with their governors until they get a Militarist, but you can't force them to declare war. You can declare war on their behalf and you can intervene in their wars if they're losing (both of which bring in the colonial overlord of their enemy, if applicable), but you can't order them to declare a war you don't take part in.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Don't worry to much about the gold mine depletion thing, it only happens if you go over 10 production and the game will tell you in the tool tip before you do it.

But 10 production is already ridiculously high, it's the equivalent of an old 10 base tax gold mine. There's a reason there were no base tax 10 gold mines in the game. In my Italy campaign Triol is earning my 8 per month and it's still at 40% local autonomy. Between that and Kosavo I'm getting .07 inflation per year even with the highest trade income and second highest development in the game, thank god I'm going economic ideas.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Jackson Taus posted:

You can't. You can subsidize them so they build a bigger army and screw with their governors until they get a Militarist, but you can't force them to declare war. You can declare war on their behalf and you can intervene in their wars if they're losing (both of which bring in the colonial overlord of their enemy, if applicable), but you can't order them to declare a war you don't take part in.

Actually, you can use subject interaction to make them utilize the colonial war casus belli on a neighbouring (colonial) nation, providing they have said casus belli, at least according to the patch notes.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Another money sink is being able to cycle your advisors now. It gets really expensive in the late game when their prices go way up. I probably spent around 10-15k ducats trying to get the right advisors. One lovely thing about that though is you can get the same exact type of advisor with the same rank in a row. Was trying to get an inquisitor and I think I got theologian three times in a row and each one costed about 500 ducats. It took about 10 more times to get the inquisitor.

Speaking of gold mines, they're a great way to supercharge a march, especially if you develop it first and then hand it over. Unlike most players, the AI will go way over its forcelimit if they have enough income. I had a pretty big march with a decent gold mine and I would just declare war on a country that was an equal size to them and just watch them steamroll it.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Anyone done Baltic Crusader yet? I had one go, but scuttled it because I kept getting into fruitless wars where I wasted resources trying to figure out the new mechanics. My first instinct is to pal up wtih Austria and poo poo all over Pomerania before turning around and gobbling up the Livonian Order...thoughts?

I did this weekend. I allied Austria and Hungary to ward off the Poles and then look Livonians as my vassal first because I was paranoid they would develop and go above 100% war score. Got it on both tries even though they ally Lithuania. First time I quickly grabbed a Lith fort and peaced them out second they got stuffed into the union early.

I focused on Poland next because that alliance was my only real threat. I used Muscovy to help me feed Novgorod to Religious Idea taking Livonia which kept Russia small. I released Galicia from Poland and used them to convert the southern provinces.

I took the occasional province from Pomm and Brandenburg early just to humiliate them but ignored the HRE after that other than adding my land to it to help get the first four reforms passed.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Westminster System posted:

Actually, you can use subject interaction to make them utilize the colonial war casus belli on a neighbouring (colonial) nation, providing they have said casus belli, at least according to the patch notes.

Oh yeah, it's right there. It just wasn't highlighted cause they don't have a CB (even though I do). Oops.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Whoever originally suggested Frankfurt as spot on, playing as a hyper-aggressive OPM the entire game is incredibly fun, and since you can't blob you also don't reach that inevitable tipping point where the game is over but you've still got 300 years left to play. Would highly recommend if you've not tried a free city game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got all three Reformed centers of, err, reformation within a province or two of each other, in the low counties. The Burgundian inheritance never fired, and instead Burgundy just fell apart, so the various dutch minors were just independent and feuding.

At first this meant the only place to get many Calvinists, outside of the states that held the centers themselves, was the Rhine (and to a small extent, France), but after a few decades Reformed was the most common faith in Germany. This is despite two of the Protestant centers being somewhat better situated for that (Ulm and a province in Denmark).

• Locked thread