Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geographica
Jun 1, 2010

Gaspar Lewis posted:

So this means "Big Mess" by Devo is on-disc, right?

Wait... is this even remotely a thing!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Microsoft announced some backwards compatibility for the XB1 today, which is a small tick towards me buying an XB1 for this game. Alas, RB3 customs won't work, because the backwards version will be the On Demand (Mad Catz) one with Title Update #5, but it's still a nice bonus.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

pksage posted:

Microsoft announced some backwards compatibility for the XB1 today, which is a small tick towards me buying an XB1 for this game. Alas, RB3 customs won't work, because the backwards version will be the On Demand (Mad Catz) one with Title Update #5, but it's still a nice bonus.

Rock Band 3 might not even be backwards compatible at all

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Rock Band 3 might not even be backwards compatible at all

As far as I've heard, if it has an On Demand version, the dev just needs to go tick a box that says "yes, sell this on the XB1". But yeah it might not work with the RB4 instruments or songs without a patch, so I could see Harmonix leaving it alone.

edit: Unrelated service announcement: If you're like me and you REALLY like Push Push (Lady Lightning), make sure you pre-order, because we currently have no guarantees that RBN content will be ported forward otherwise.

edit 2: Whoops, apparently Harmonix never asked the authors of those RBN songs if they could include them in the bonus pack. :v: (source: Facebook)

pksage fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 15, 2015

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I'm so confused on how the Freestyle Guitar Solos are supposed to work. So you just hit random buttons and a good-sounding solo magically comes out?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Binowru posted:

I'm so confused on how the Freestyle Guitar Solos are supposed to work. So you just hit random buttons and a good-sounding solo magically comes out?

Some facts from the videos/articles combined with a bit of conjecture:

- All songs, including legacy DLC, now have an extra metadata track that tells the game what key it's in at a given time, and what notes are "correct" for improv vocals and freestyle solos. All samples used to generate a freestyle solo will be in the correct key and sound more or less natural in terms of pure pitch.
- Presumably, single notes will be single notes, chords will be chords, and relative pitch will be maintained. For example, I imagine G R Y B O B Y R G would give you a 5-note scale and GR RY YB BO would give you four power chords going upwards in pitch.
- There seems to be some manual authoring saying this KIND of solo sounds good in this spot, denoted by how the highway looks. There's the field of diamonds highway, which is probably go-crazy-and-do-whatever; there's a series of horizontal thin and thick lines, which is probably "play the same few notes/chords in this rhythm"; there's a wiggly S-shape, which is probably "do a 16th-note HOPOcoaster here anchored on whatever gem you want"; and I'm pretty sure I noticed some others.
- Your scoring in a freestyle solo depends on how well you follow these "suggestions".

Now that the feature has been revealed, Alakaiser might be allowed to expand on some of that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I sure am going to miss playing the on-disc songs and Avenged Sevenfold with nerds online.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

pksage posted:

Some facts from the videos/articles combined with a bit of conjecture:

- All songs, including legacy DLC, now have an extra metadata track that tells the game what key it's in at a given time, and what notes are "correct" for improv vocals and freestyle solos. All samples used to generate a freestyle solo will be in the correct key and sound more or less natural in terms of pure pitch.
- Presumably, single notes will be single notes, chords will be chords, and relative pitch will be maintained. For example, I imagine G R Y B O B Y R G would give you a 5-note scale and GR RY YB BO would give you four power chords going upwards in pitch.
- There seems to be some manual authoring saying this KIND of solo sounds good in this spot, denoted by how the highway looks. There's the field of diamonds highway, which is probably go-crazy-and-do-whatever; there's a series of horizontal thin and thick lines, which is probably "play the same few notes/chords in this rhythm"; there's a wiggly S-shape, which is probably "do a 16th-note HOPOcoaster here anchored on whatever gem you want"; and I'm pretty sure I noticed some others.
- Your scoring in a freestyle solo depends on how well you follow these "suggestions".

Now that the feature has been revealed, Alakaiser might be allowed to expand on some of that.

This photo should help explain some things!

So yeah, you weren't too far off. The eighth note/16th note/sustain/tapping stuff will show up on the gem track as a cue for "hey, play this stuff." Or don't. It's fine. Just play some stuff that sounds cool.

The various fret combinations will make specific licks that are always the same musically (just, y'know, in key with what's playing so it doesn't sound terrible). If you're playing individual frets, it'll be more of a one-for-one thing. There's a few other things not in that image (like strumming faster than 16th notes) that also work.

Everybody loves the tapping. Once people start tapping, they never stop tapping. Seriously, all of the tapping. Forever. gently caress it, tapping.

edit: god dammit kaboobi

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
I know I have three friends at my beck and call to come over and play Rock Band at all times, and love playing alone when they escape their cages.

Man I'm glad I never started an authoring company. Maybe I'll get the game in three years or whenever they add netcode. Maybe there'll be a second hardware run in a few months or years when they add online and I have $600 to access 60 songs.

Meantime I have a few hundred customs to get cozy with on my local-only 360.

...man, I'm bummed.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Also... huh, okay.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Wow, okay I'm sold. Freestyle solos sound pretty awesome :)

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

CRINDY posted:

I have an unofficial custom of this some rando on c3 made.

That was actually a C3 "official" release that was later pulled due to some disagreement with the author. So as far as customs go, it should be in excellent quality. But that's been pulled from both the C3 database and the reposting in the C3 forums as C3 is going along with all announcements and removing the customs versions since nobody wants to see HMX cry.

Also, Harmonix will take my money either way, but jesus christ, Alakaiser, can you do two things for me? 1) Change the font for the scores 2) Add separator commas to the scores. I can provide the code that you'd need to sneak in if it comes to that. It's horrible now.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Since the "30 free songs" contain a lot of repeats, I'm going to assume that's actually the first chunk of forward-ported dlc.

Brocktoon posted:

Wait, "Suspicious Minds" is in RB4?! PLEASE let that mean the door is open for more Elvis!
HMX usually licenses several songs at once from a single artist, and a future DLC pack can safely be assumed for many artists with a single on-disc song (unless it's a one-hit wonder or something).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Yes, I play online MP in rock band because I have a lot of friends who play rock band who don't live in the same town. My enthusiasm has certainly gone down.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

OK so the preorder bonus is mostly old songs that were already available early. And the band-in-a-box price is really high. My urge to preorder is going down rapidly.

Maybe there'll be a Xbone + Rock Band 4 bundle deal a bit later.

Freestyle solos look really good though. :allears:

e: OK I watched the dev diary on the guitar solos and this feature is pretty amazing. It lacks the amazing feeling of beatmatching a really difficult solo though. I wonder if you can turn the feature off if you want that?

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 16, 2015

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Suspicious Minds, huh. I wasn't gonna buy an Xbone, but now I'm not sure.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Merijn posted:

I wonder if you can turn the feature off if you want that?

Yup, you can disable it

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

TrojanNemo posted:

Also, Harmonix will take my money either way, but jesus christ, Alakaiser, can you do two things for me? 1) Change the font for the scores 2) Add separator commas to the scores. I can provide the code that you'd need to sneak in if it comes to that. It's horrible now.

There are commas in the E3 demo. Maybe guitar straps and the stage kit next???????

(no)

Merijn posted:

e: OK I watched the dev diary on the guitar solos and this feature is pretty amazing. It lacks the amazing feeling of beatmatching a really difficult solo though. I wonder if you can turn the feature off if you want that?

Yeah that's a thing. If you recall, the IGN live stream had the authored guitar solos in them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
But they said they were including the stage kit... :(

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh! Umm...I don't actually know. I was just making a joke. I am not at all a source of info for things like that.

Alakaiser fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 16, 2015

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Sir Tonk posted:

"They" being IGN and not Harmonix, actually. And "they" also said a few things that apparently have never been suggested after that first article.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

kefkafloyd posted:

Yes, I play online MP in rock band because I have a lot of friends who play rock band who don't live in the same town. My enthusiasm has certainly gone down.

Same, got a bunch of out-of-town friends who bought DLC albums of foo fighters and pearl jam and GnR and so on, probably 35% of my RB2 hours were online multiplayer and 60% was solo. I'm surprised so many here barely used the online band feature.

Live multi is great but hard to organize spontaneously since I finished my studies, so I'll stick eith the 360 and all my DLC until there's (hopefully) a full version of RB4 down the line.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
dtoid took down their E3 article but I was quoting them in mine so if you care about Guitar Hero Live

http://theherofeed.com/5876/guitar-hero-live-e3-news/

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I wonder if Guitar Hero TV will use stems or not. Has that been discussed at all?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

pksage posted:

I wonder if Guitar Hero TV will use stems or not. Has that been discussed at all?

I asked someone that works for ATVI and told me that yes it will.

https://twitter.com/GuitarHero/status/610854614561230848

Calvin Harris “Feel So Close”
Kongos “Come With me Now”
Korn “Freak on a Leash”
ZZ Top “I Gotsta Get Paid”
Dum Dum Girls “Rimbaud Eyes”
Bruno Mars “The Lazy Song”
White Zombie “Thunder Kiss ’65”
The Avett Brothers “Another is Waiting”
Rage Against The Machine “Bulls on Parade”
Iggy Pop “Lust For Life”
Courtney Barnett “Pedestrian at Best”
Green Day “American Idiot”
The Strokes “Under Cover of Darkness”
Bob Dylan “Thunder On The Mountain”
Cheap Trick ???

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 16, 2015

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I've never pre-ordered a physical game online so excuse me if this is a naive question, but doesn't that mean you won't get the game on launch day? I'd rather just wait until the game stores offer preorders and pick mine up at 9AM launch day.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Orange Harrison posted:

I've never pre-ordered a physical game online so excuse me if this is a naive question, but doesn't that mean you won't get the game on launch day? I'd rather just wait until the game stores offer preorders and pick mine up at 9AM launch day.

I think it depends on the retailer. When I pre-ordered GTA5 from Amazon, they had the option to get it on release day. I think I had to pay a little more for shipping, though.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

Orange Harrison posted:

The "game stores" are already offering the pre-orders. You can get it from Gamestop and Best Buy at least. I think Toys R Us and EB Games also have them. I pre-ordered mine from Best Buy, so I just have to walk in and pick it up on release day.

Alakaiser posted:

There are commas in the E3 demo. Maybe guitar straps and the stage kit next???????

Didn't notice the commas in any material I've seen...and you ignored the part about the horrid font choice.

As to the stage kit, I fully expect it supported AND improved. I haven't kept a brand new one in the box all this time for nothing, you hear me!

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Stage kit may be supported... or it may not be! You'll have to wait and seeeeeeee!

*disappears into smoke machine fog as fire alarms go off*

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Kabanaw posted:

Stage kit may be supported... or it may not be! You'll have to wait and seeeeeeee!

*disappears into smoke machine fog as fire alarms go off*

This isn't what I was promised by IGN!!!
(ps where were you tonight)

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Matt Nordhaus? posted:

All I'm going to say is that we're making our decision based on data, the best data we have, and the best data we can get. Is it good enough and does it represent our demographic? That's a question every developer asks every time they release a game. We hope so. Certainly we have some very smart, experienced people thinking about it.

And I just can't help but respond to this specific comment with some data. The percentage of players who played MP. Not a majority. Not a significant minority. You know that joke about how the universe is so big that on average the population is 0?

Yeah. That.

Well, that's... uh... blunt.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
And that's why you use median, not mode.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sir Tonk posted:

And that's why you use median, not mode.

I think the original quote uses neither of those, but instead uses mean.

And they're all zero.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
The kicker is that after that comment there's people saying "who cares, good riddance to wasted effort" and then wondering when stuff like their ION kits are going to get confirmed for support. (Best of luck with that.)

I don't have a new console, I don't have $400-$600 to burn right now, and I'm too old for big Christmas gifts and too poor to not spend that kind of money on things like nicer furniture or dental care. By not upgrading I can still play online (for now) and I'll have more songs in an offline/local setting than if I move to a current-generation platform.

I think it's a great game, I'm happy for everyone else, and there's a lot of smart and inventive stuff going into all the corners of the game. I want to want this game, but there's nothing for me here. There's no way for it to be told to me any clearer that I'm not in the demographic they need to make the game succeed. If they decide to humor online again I'll come back running in a heartbeat but... oh well.

DeliciousBees
Jul 15, 2001

Kabanaw posted:

It's cool, I can definitely confirm that Stage Kit is 100% in and shipping.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gaspar Lewis posted:

The kicker is that after that comment there's people saying "who cares, good riddance to wasted effort" and then wondering when stuff like their ION kits are going to get confirmed for support. (Best of luck with that.)

I don't have a new console, I don't have $400-$600 to burn right now, and I'm too old for big Christmas gifts and too poor to not spend that kind of money on things like nicer furniture or dental care. By not upgrading I can still play online (for now) and I'll have more songs in an offline/local setting than if I move to a current-generation platform.

I think it's a great game, I'm happy for everyone else, and there's a lot of smart and inventive stuff going into all the corners of the game. I want to want this game, but there's nothing for me here. There's no way for it to be told to me any clearer that I'm not in the demographic they need to make the game succeed. If they decide to humor online again I'll come back running in a heartbeat but... oh well.
Yeah, this is where I'm at. From the start, I got the sense that people who download customs for 360 and still have their instruments handy simply aren't the market for this game. It basically exists as a way for people who own current-gen (and ONLY current-gen) consoles to play the Rock Band library of songs. And that's still a cool thing that deserves to exist.

Back to Guitar Solo Chat: the use of freestyle would have to have an impact on a song's maximum potential score, correct? Are there gonna be two guitar leaderboards for each song? IIRC, drum fills were never actually scored, but I can't imagine they'd use the same treatment for like a 30-second chunk of song. Was this covered in one of the videos already?

Beyond that, not to be a party pooper, but I feel like this is a feature I'd use once or twice and then turn off. I enjoy playing songs that I like, and if a song involves a rad guitar solo I wanna have fun playing the solo that I know!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Solos are the most fun thing to play so I'm pretty sure I'm not even gonna use this feature once.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

On the one hand it's sad that online MP is gone, but on the other hand... the DLC problem always made online MP with pubbies no fun at all. It was like playing GH3 online with 13yo teens who always pick Dragonforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Well that's why I had a bunch of people who'd also buy DLC pretty regularly; if someone was going online and let everyone know, the rest of the band could usually fill out to three people or a full set with a huge catalog to pick from. (Not a big surprise, a lot of them were from the long-lost ancestors of this thread.)

And if you played Dragonforce in Rock Band, you have nobody to blame but yourself for buyin' it in the first place.