Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Do they have the DateTimeOriginal EXIF tag? GPhotos should just use that.

Do you have the date/time in the file or folder name? Surely there's a tool to automate parsing the file path and putting that into the DateTimeOriginal EXIF tag, but if there's not I'll whip something up quick-like.

I had a shitload of photos taken from my droid incredible/droid razr that didn't seem to be organized by the correct date, just by the upload date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
So I got around to getting the S6 for myself since I had an upgrade available. I took my old S4 cleaned off most of the apps and left the ones I had downloaded for my daughter. I then downloaded some kids sandbox app that lets you choose what apps they will be able to use with an exit using a pin. It's pretty great because she can't get into anything else but what I want her to access.

So my question here is what are some more good kids apps or games. I don't mind buying them at all I just want some more variety for her when we go on trips etc. Right now I have the toca Boca games which seems to be the best and a few coloring/drawing apps. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh yeah she is five and will be starting Kindergarten this year. So things need to be intuitive and light on reading lots of instructions.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Teaches of Peaches posted:

So I got around to getting the S6 for myself since I had an upgrade available. I took my old S4 cleaned off most of the apps and left the ones I had downloaded for my daughter. I then downloaded some kids sandbox app that lets you choose what apps they will be able to use with an exit using a pin. It's pretty great because she can't get into anything else but what I want her to access.

So my question here is what are some more good kids apps or games. I don't mind buying them at all I just want some more variety for her when we go on trips etc. Right now I have the toca Boca games which seems to be the best and a few coloring/drawing apps. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh yeah she is five and will be starting Kindergarten this year. So things need to be intuitive and light on reading lots of instructions.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wewanttoknow.DragonBoxPlus

This is a great app for 5+ year old kids for learning algebra.

Yes I said algebra at 5.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

Thermopyle posted:

Yes I said algebra at 5.

This looks amazing. I am going to throw that on the wish list to download and give it a shot.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Short of copying the entire photos folder to my computer then to my phone is there any way to restore the photos on the Google photos app to a phone.

Case: had to factory reset phone, all photos gone but they are still backed up on Google photos, trying to get them back on phone

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

Short of copying the entire photos folder to my computer then to my phone is there any way to restore the photos on the Google photos app to a phone.

Case: had to factory reset phone, all photos gone but they are still backed up on Google photos, trying to get them back on phone

Why would you want them on the phone?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Why would you want them on the phone?

I guess I just assumed it might eat up too much data if I wasn't on Wi-Fi a lot and wanted to browse through them

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

Yes I said algebra at 5.

Jeez, and here I'm just sitting here trying to teach my 3 year old basic addition and subtraction. Speaking of which, I still haven't found a good app to help with that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

vyst posted:

I guess I just assumed it might eat up too much data if I wasn't on Wi-Fi a lot and wanted to browse through them

I'd suggest waiting to fix that problem if it becomes an actual problem. I don't think it will be.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Jeez, and here I'm just sitting here trying to teach my 3 year old basic addition and subtraction. Speaking of which, I still haven't found a good app to help with that.
Looking at the app, it doesn't seem like you even need to know basic arithmetic to use it. Its more about training your brain to think about algebraic equations than it is doing actual math.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I'd suggest waiting to fix that problem if it becomes an actual problem. I don't think it will be.

Thanks I'll give it a go and just skip the gallery to browse old stuff and see how it works. I do love the photos app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

Thanks I'll give it a go and just skip the gallery to browse old stuff and see how it works. I do love the photos app.

Yeah I think you'll find that once the cache is built that simply having it all in the cloud will work best for you. To be honest I wish the other way were more automated- like the device would delete things it definitely had backed up but I understand why that doesn't happen.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
A friend of mine is a doctor, and he wants to be able to take pictures of his patients of his patients from his phone, put tags on them (Patient Name, affliction, some other stuff), keep them on "the cloud", and then be able to search by tag, either from his computer or his cellphone.

Now, I was sure in Picasa you can tag and then search by tags, ie: "BROKEN ARM", "PATIENT NAME", but I can't find a Picasa app for Android (none by google, there are a few 3rd party ones I have no idea what they do), I can only find Google Photos and the Photos "section" in Drive, both of which only let you tag people. Photos lets me add descriptions, but when go to search and enter a word in the description, I get no results.

Is there any hassle-free way of accomplishing this that I'm not figuring out?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Um, aren't their HIPPA regulations about storing patient photos/information "in the cloud", especially on something like Google's servers?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Uthor posted:

Um, aren't their HIPPA regulations about storing patient photos/information "in the cloud", especially on something like Google's servers?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's not in the States, and to be honest I have no idea how that works over here, I'm just researching for him since he's not very tech-savvy; I'll tell him to double check before he gets into trouble.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Luceo posted:

Is there a way to have Photos not backup videos, but only pictures? I'd be fine with the default storage allocation if I could just exclude video files.

Has anyone found a way to do this? If not, I guess I'll manually prune videos after I take them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Luceo posted:

Has anyone found a way to do this? If not, I guess I'll manually prune videos after I take them.

You might not care, but Photos makes some cool stuff from uploaded videos which you'll miss out on if you don't upload them.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

You might not care, but Photos makes some cool stuff from uploaded videos which you'll miss out on if you don't upload them.

Yeah, that would be nice if I had a reasonable amount of short videos, but I've been going to a lot of concerts lately and recording several songs at a time and it's just too much data.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Edmond Dantes posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's not in the States, and to be honest I have no idea how that works over here, I'm just researching for him since he's not very tech-savvy; I'll tell him to double check before he gets into trouble.

In the USA this would be very illegal. Make sure you learn the regs for whatever country he is in before doing anything else. Or tell him to hire an actual healthcare it person in his country.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Aside from any direct illegality, a lot of his patients might be very annoyed by it if they find out.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Dunno, he just asked me from a technical standpoint; I did tell him to check with legals, he told me would. That's as far as my knowledge goes to be honest.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Luceo posted:

...but I've been going to a lot of concerts lately and recording several songs at a time...

Good, you don't deserve any nice features, then!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

AlexF posted:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

AlexF posted:

Get off the high horse, the entire drat audience is recording poo poo on their phones.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Was this posted yet?

http://lifehacker.com/lastpass-hacked-time-to-change-your-master-password-1711463571

I suggest everyone change to keepass plus drive/Dropbox/box

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Or 1Password. They have a keyboard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Or just, you know, change your master password and move on. Protections pretty much worked as advertised.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Or just, you know, change your master password and move on. Protections pretty much worked as advertised.

Yep.

Anyone changing over this is a reactionary dummy.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Also if you're going to use any of those services you might as well go the full distance and enable 2 factor authentication.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Thermopyle posted:

Yep.

I can't tell, is this a joke?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Yep.

I just changed my password. Oh the crisis! Lastpass forever

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

lostleaf posted:

Was this posted yet?

http://lifehacker.com/lastpass-hacked-time-to-change-your-master-password-1711463571

I used KeePass for years, but eventually gave up because of the really lovely OS X support.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Luceo posted:

Get off the high horse, the entire drat audience is recording poo poo on their phones.

Then the entire drat audience doesn't deserve them either.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mogomra posted:

I can't tell, is this a joke?

I meant changing their password storage app. I did not mean changing their Lastpass password.

That wasn't very clear, was it?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

AlexF posted:

Then the entire drat audience doesn't deserve them either.

:rolleyes: Yeah, gently caress me for having every album my favorite band has released over 40 years and attending my fourth concert with $100+ tickets, but heaven forbid I record a video!

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

lostleaf posted:

I'm curious why you think this is any more secure. Either way your encrypted database is stored cloud-side and decrypted locally. Plus Dropbox has been compromised way more times than Lastpass has because, yunno, it's not billed as password database storage.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Luceo posted:

:rolleyes: Yeah, gently caress me for having every album my favorite band has released over 40 years and attending my fourth concert with $100+ tickets, but heaven forbid I record a video!

Other people who paid $100 would like to watch a show without your big bright annoying phone in their face the whole time, hth.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Taffer posted:

Other people who paid $100 would like to watch a show without your big bright annoying phone in their face the whole time, hth.

Jesus gently caress off already with this poo poo, I asked a loving question. The entire audience has their phones on, haven't you been to a concert in the past five years?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Luceo posted:

Jesus gently caress off already with this poo poo, I asked a loving question. The entire audience has their phones on, haven't you been to a concert in the past five years?

Maybe he has, and that's why he's mad about it?

Also I've found it really varies depending on the crowd. Say what you will about hipsters, at least the vast majority of them aren't watching shows through their phones. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Maybe he has, and that's why he's mad about it?

Also I've found it really varies depending on the crowd. Say what you will about hipsters, at least the vast majority of them aren't watching shows through their phones. :shrug:

I actually don't watch the show through my phone. I keep it about neck level and glance down at it now and then to make sure the view is centered.

• Locked thread