Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Xandes is a huge badass, it's really too bad he's an enemy. shame about the lackluster fighting this week too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah the direction of the battle scenes was rather poor this weak. hope that isn't a sign of the future. oh well, the gray haired badass is still alive!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
More importantly, Arslan has added a tsundere to his harem.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like how Gieve is coming around to Arslan in a very consistent way.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Being able to inspire the kind of loyalty that gets a poor traveler to throw away bags of gold for you is pretty impressive.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

paragon1 posted:

Being able to inspire the kind of loyalty that gets a poor traveler to throw away bags of gold for you is pretty impressive.

Those bags of gold were from the Ecbatana royal treasury, right? Just look at it as paying him back. :v:

I liked that they justified Arslan's idealism and naivete with something from his background this episode, instead of just making him naturally good. The whole surrogate parents + socialized around other children thing explains a lot.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I find their consistent surprise at the fact that Arslan isn't a complete dick to be hilarious. "This prince wipes his own rear end, it can only be an improvement over the previous kings!"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tsundere Elam. :swoon:

But yeah, the fights were pretty bad this ep and there were a lot of derp faces in the background, hopefully it's just a one off.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
The battle scenes in general are kind of bleh...because I imagine it's probably very very budget-intensive to do otherwise. I perfectly understand mass derpy CGI because the alternative is...uh, how Maria went, where it felt like armies were made of like five dudes.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
also how the hell is farangis's barely-clothing so supportive, she has no trouble with horse action combat despite the fact that all but the flattest of chests are pretty dang prone to inertia without a bra

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

anime

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

it's like the inverse of anime

like 60% of the animation budget of the last few years has been dedicated to boob physics in the most incredibly gratuitous and physics-defying ways

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

No way.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sorry, though tthis was the chat thread. I still need to watch episodes 10 and 11.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Arakawa would never do gratuitous tity

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Arakawa would never do gratuitous tity

Arakawa does sufficient titty

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arslan's apology was so earnest yet so hilariously frank.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
They really should have waited longer to do this adaption, the drop in quality after overtaking the manga is just too noticeable.

I mean, it's still an interesting story and I'm not planning to drop it but the fight choreography and characterization has taken an appreciable hit for the worse.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It seems the same to me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I haven't noticed much. :shrug:

Alca
Sep 7, 2005
8D

dogsicle posted:

Xandes is a huge badass, it's really too bad he's an enemy. shame about the lackluster fighting this week too.

HA! I just finished watching the last episode, and that comment made me chuckle.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
RIP a dozen characters with their own designs.

Also, contrasting this with Legend of the Galactic Heroes, it really seems like a step back of sorts. Arslan asks "what makes a good king?" LoGH asks "is a king even worth having?" Of course, they tell different stories with different settings (this story lacks the communication technology to support a representative democracy), so I am being a little unfair.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I laughed and enjoy that the show unceremoniously shoots an apparently important enemy in the back and have him drop off a cliff. Usually there'd be some sort of honour thing interfering with pragmatic actions like that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

RIP a dozen characters with their own designs.

Also, contrasting this with Legend of the Galactic Heroes, it really seems like a step back of sorts. Arslan asks "what makes a good king?" LoGH asks "is a king even worth having?" Of course, they tell different stories with different settings (this story lacks the communication technology to support a representative democracy), so I am being a little unfair.

"Democracy is the worst form of government aside from all others that have been tried." - Churchill. The anthropic principle here is that Kings Exist and are inherently legitimate so long as they rule wisely and justly (and unwise unjust ones are overthrown by wise just King's ala the Mandate of Heaven). As viewers we kinda need to accept this premise otherwise it is being unfair. The closest we'll see to a King in these sorts of works embracing a more progressive political philosophy is if they agree to something akin to the magna carta.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Arslan's apology was so earnest yet so hilariously frank.

What happened here again, I just watched it but can't remember.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Fleve posted:

I laughed and enjoy that the show unceremoniously shoots an apparently important enemy in the back and have him drop off a cliff. Usually there'd be some sort of honour thing interfering with pragmatic actions like that.

Well, he did dishonor himself by throwing his weapon and running away from the man who he swore vengeance on

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was cool when they shot the guy in the back, but he's probably not actually dead

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I got a chuckle of out what had to be an intentional nod to the upcoming Musou game when Daryun was trying to save Arslan all "special" this time around.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I got a chuckle of out what had to be an intentional nod to the upcoming Musou game when Daryun was trying to save Arslan all "special" this time around.
Yeah this was hitting the sweet spot between badass and comical for me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was funny when he entered hyper mode

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I laughed but I don't think it'll stay funny if the whole rest of the series is going to look like that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This series is going to look like poo poo the rest of the way, I fear.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well gently caress.

Raenir Salazar posted:

What happened here again, I just watched it but can't remember.

He was so apologetic because he knows just how much money means to Gieve, it was a pretty great accidental burn.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only just got around to watching last weeks episode, on one hand I agree that the fights were still a little lacklustre this episode, on the other there were a lot more than usual (practically the whole episode), Daryun going all Musou owned and it was still a lot better than episode 11. I'm okay if it carries on this way.

Also I liked Alfreed but a lot of people going to get mad if that was setting her up as being a love interest for Narsus.

I guess episode 13 is late? I've seen raws but no subs so far.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Episode 13 kinda picked up a lot, so I have to withdraw my complaints. This is a good show.

The fact that it's not 1 for 1 with the manga is all the more reason to be reading the manga though! The show is ahead of the manga now but there's some good bits from the manga they skipped over for whatever reason.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked Alfreed but a lot of people going to get mad if that was setting her up as being a love interest for Narsus.

Who else is he going to shack up with? Elam? That's his former slave, which is way creepy! Let them hook up with Arslan.

But yea Alfreed is awesome this week, and I like that she's completely straightforward to the same degree that Narsus is a sneaky bastard. I hope she's a major character from now on!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

Who else is he going to shack up with? Elam? That's his former slave, which is way creepy! Let them hook up with Arslan.

But yea Alfreed is awesome this week, and I like that she's completely straightforward to the same degree that Narsus is a sneaky bastard. I hope she's a major character from now on!

Everyone should hook up with Arslan.

He's very charming.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

gently caress yeah India, let's go full clusterfuck

Current theories re: Arslan? Currently I would say while there's no way, and never really was, that he's Andragoras' son, it's still possible he's the Queen's bastard, possibly even the son of her previous husband, placed in safekeeping. I doubt he's just a random kid they picked out for resembling the royals enough to cover up the real Arslan's death or whatever, they'd surely go for someone who looked more like Andragoras in that case.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Everyone should hook up with Arslan.

He's very charming.

Didn't you see Gieve blushing when speaking to Arslan?

Rodyle posted:

Current theories re: Arslan? Currently I would say while there's no way, and never really was, that he's Andragoras' son, it's still possible he's the Queen's bastard, possibly even the son of her previous husband, placed in safekeeping. I doubt he's just a random kid they picked out for resembling the royals enough to cover up the real Arslan's death or whatever, they'd surely go for someone who looked more like Andragoras in that case.

I'm going to go with this as well.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't seen episode 13 yet. Timeline differences. Can't watch at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

two sword beard guy is cool. this show does it yet again. lots of off-model faces though

also next week is going to be a recap episode

• Locked thread