Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

There are several high-resolution audio file formats to choose from, all of which support the above sampling rates and bit-depths. They include FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) and ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec), both of which are compressed but in a way that (in theory) no information is lost.

:doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nintendo Kid posted:

It could at least be a slightly higher end black-on-white LCD. :colbert:

You're not doing amber on black and that's wrong.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"I don't actually understand how any of this works, so I'm going to phrase it in a way that implies I'm skeptical of the claims."

People have this really weird thing where they feel they have to be skeptical about things they don't understand. Which is stupid, because it just makes you look like an idiot to people who do.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Being skeptical of things you don't understand is fine. What is stupid is when you remain skeptical despite large amounts of evidence in front of you.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

taqueso posted:

They take up space.

Next to taking up space the jewel cases are poo poo and break if you look at them too hard. And CDs have a finite life time. I already have some I bought when I was 12-13 that are dead or at least have problems (luckily I transferred them to 320 kbit/s VBR mp3 a decade ago). They scratch easily. They were the lesser choice, convinience-wise when MD was still a thing, more so now when streaming, downloads etc is factored in.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BANME.sh posted:

Being skeptical of things you don't understand is fine. What is stupid is when you remain skeptical despite large amounts of evidence in front of you.

There's research findings that suggest that being shown evidence to the contrary tends to galvanize strongly held beliefs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BigFactory posted:

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)

The idea that vinyl masters are commonly better than CD masters is pretty bogus, and CD's are capable of way more dynamic range than records.

I like records too, though.
I can totally hear more background static with my HD 650s on this 24/96 vinyl rip of Rhapsody in Blue compared to the CD rip therefore it must be better :v:.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

I can totally hear more background static with my HD 650s on this 24/96 vinyl rip of Rhapsody in Blue compared to the CD rip therefore it must be better :v:.

I used to believe a bunch of that stuff from that website until i picked up a 3 LP 180 gram remaster of Californication and now I'm hearing those infectious grooves in a whole new light.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BigFactory posted:

I used to believe a bunch of that stuff from that website until i picked up a 3 LP 180 gram remaster of Californication and now I'm hearing those infectious grooves in a whole new light.

You should probably get those grooves looked at by a physician, then.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

On Friday I'm going down to the Men's Shed to convert a bunch of dude's records onto CD, DVD and MP3. Will report back any audiophile nonsense.

Well, the audiophile nonsense was me again. I set the old guys up to play a bunch of records while my laptop recorded them. Came back two and a half hours later to find I'd been recording with the laptop mic instead of the line in.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

qirex posted:

There's research findings that suggest that being shown evidence to the contrary tends to galvanize strongly held beliefs.

This means the more people try to tell you magical audiophile gear is bullshit, the more amazing it sounds. An industry that exists to be called out, and to feed on it. The more ridiculous you go, the greater the potential rewards!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Technology derived from the Large Hadron Collider will be used to preserve old sound recordings.

Audiophiles have a new goal - build their own.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

I hope they never have to use Winrar/Winzip or installing apps on anything again because IMPEFEXTC COMPREZION?

baka kaba posted:

This means the more people try to tell you magical audiophile gear is bullshit, the more amazing it sounds. An industry that exists to be called out, and to feed on it. The more ridiculous you go, the greater the potential rewards!

*Quotes study about how absolutely NO ONE was able to hear to detect a hidden 44/16 DAC/ADC pair degrading the audio chain for SACD playback in a 1-year period*

"Of course, they don't have the *~*golden ears*~* like I do!"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Palladium posted:

I hope they never have to use Winrar/Winzip or installing apps on anything again because IMPEFEXTC COMPREZION?

*Quotes study about how absolutely NO ONE was able to hear to detect a hidden 44/16 DAC/ADC pair degrading the audio chain for SACD playback in a 1-year period*

"Of course, they don't have the *~*golden ears*~* like I do!"

One of my friends took part in that study that everyone talks about. In his group, at least, what they really found was that in a million dollar listening room with $100k per channel amps and all that, a little less than half the people could reliably detect "some difference" between 16 and 24 bit recordings of "some extremely dynamic classical music recordings" but on nothing else, as he put it. The difference was really minor, and of course nobody could reliably detect any difference between 44.1 and any higher sample rate at all. Oh yeah, and all the participants in his group were highly trained listeners, most of them working in the pro audio or recording industries.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 14, 2015

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Wasabi the J posted:

You're not doing amber on blackvacuum fluorescent displays and that's wrong.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

You know, for a $3000 slab of junk, they might want to put in a screen that is at least as good as a 720p IPS LCD of a infinitely more useful device that happens to make phone calls which one can buy for like ~$120 shipped in China.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
One might argue that the driver of the display may cause interferences with the audio circuit, given the high frequencies it'll run at. Then again, not a problem a piece of metal foil wouldn't fix.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Combat Pretzel posted:

One might argue that the driver of the display may cause interferences with the audio circuit, given the high frequencies it'll run at. Then again, not a problem a piece of metal foil wouldn't fix.

Well, smartphones like iPhones and Galaxy Notes also happen to have some of the cleanest analog outputs to date, despite the magnitudes higher in engineering complexity. Like our venerable NwAvGuy once said, the notion that some guy in his basement can make a better audio device than companies having billions in resources, skill and testing equipment just because the latter uses utterly cheap parts is thoroughly absurd.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Palladium posted:

You know, for a $3000 slab of junk, they might want to put in a screen that is at least as good as a 720p IPS LCD of a infinitely more useful device that happens to make phone calls which one can buy for like ~$120 shipped in China.

NO. NO MORE loving TOUCHSCREENS ON poo poo THAT DOESN'T NEED IT.

(I loving hate superfluous touch interfaces.)

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Wasabi the J posted:

He didn't say anything about touchscreens. Just that they could have put in an decent LCD for not much money considering even the cheapest phones have them.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wasabi the J posted:

No touchscreens, I agree (although web interfaces for your poo poo would be nice), but putting some higher res displays on your poo poo-expensive audio stuff wouldn't really hurt. Maybe even colour. Or at least changeable colour monochrome. 240x60 pixel seem slightly outdated when my phone has 2560x1440.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sorry I got super triggered; drove a couple of friends "new" cars and they all had touchscreen radio poo poo so you couldn't do simple poo poo like change the radio station without looking at the screen, which I find annoying and dangerous in a car.

I also have a couple of doodads around the house that would be a helluva lot more usable if they were button interfaces instead of touch interfaces, including the keypad to get into work.

They got the worlds shittiest touchscreen lock.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It seems more than slightly outdated when a GBA had a 240x160 display capable of displaying 32k colors. In 2001. For like $150.

EDIT:

Wasabi the J posted:

Sorry I got super triggered; drove a couple of friends "new" cars and they all had touchscreen radio poo poo so you couldn't do simple poo poo like change the radio station without looking at the screen, which I find annoying and dangerous in a car.

I also have a couple of doodads around the house that would be a helluva lot more usable if they were button interfaces instead of touch interfaces, including the keypad to get into work.

They got the worlds shittiest touchscreen lock.
Yeah, I didn't want to get into it, really, but touchscreens have a time and place, and electronics isn't the worst for certain functions, but cars are definitely NOT the place for them except for a handful of functions that might be used once or twice per trip like GPS and whatnot. It just screams of a new generation of designers coming in and throwing out millions of man-hours of human interface design intended to make controls easy to use without looking away from the road to make room for what's cool and ignoring all other design considerations.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 15, 2015

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Touchscreens have exactly one place: A device that has an undefined, dynamic and constantly expanding number of functions and a limited space for an interface. Smartphones, tablets etc. that allow others to put functions and stuff on it that can't be planned for by the hardware maker. If you on the other hand have a completely defined number of use cases, functions and interactions like controlling your AC or volume or radio station it loving sucks and is a "that's the hip poo poo and we put it into our electonics too!"-thing. As said, expose the APIs, add a web interface etc. that allows you to additionally control it with a phone or tablet or PC, but the primary interface? Buttons, knobs, dials should always be the first option and only if they for some reason don't work think about adding some function via touchscreens.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Making a tiny screen on rack equipment high res isn't going to be all that much help in the first place, unless you're really dying for high res album art display 3 inches across that you look at from across the room.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There are lots of procurement issues with fancy screens if you aren't a huge buyer, usually you can only get the left overs with no guarantee of being able to buy more later (then you get to do a redesign!). Moving to a high-res display also adds bunch of new graphics/UI work and you need a beefy uC to be able to move those pixels around. Might as well put Android on it... and then you are flying down the rabbit hole..

I do think they should have at least used a white on black LCD like someone else mentioned, what they have now just looks dated.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

taqueso posted:

There are lots of procurement issues with fancy screens if you aren't a huge buyer, usually you can only get the left overs with no guarantee of being able to buy more later (then you get to do a redesign!). Moving to a high-res display also adds bunch of new graphics/UI work and you need a beefy uC to be able to move those pixels around. Might as well put Android on it... and then you are flying down the rabbit hole..

I do think they should have at least used a white on black LCD like someone else mentioned, what they have now just looks dated.

Yeah, that's what i brought up in the first place. This supposedly premium device has a screen that looks like the kind you'd call a ripoff back in the early 90s.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah, that's what i brought up in the first place. This supposedly premium device has a screen that looks like the kind you'd call a ripoff back in the early 90s.

How much do you want to bet that type of screen was used on some "legendary" amp back in the day and they're just cargo-culting that?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How much do you want to bet that type of screen was used on some "legendary" amp back in the day and they're just cargo-culting that?

Either that or they're intentionally using cheap poo poo so you know you're paying all that money for tonez tech. Mmm utilitarian and great value! No need to resort to marketing gimmicks when your core product works so well - just honest engineers charging what it costs to build a quality system, no more no less

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

baka kaba posted:

Either that or they're intentionally using cheap poo poo so you know you're paying all that money for tonez tech. Mmm utilitarian and great value! No need to resort to marketing gimmicks when your core product works so well - just honest engineers charging what it costs to build a quality system, no more no less

"An entire cargo ship full of blow" is the most important part of the R+D process.

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009
Zen and the art of audiophile reviews:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1202/konusessence.htm

"At the end of the day, all any enhanced-quality specialty hi-fi can do is provide the maximum je ne sais quoi that the composer musician, singer-songwriter has to offer. And, you know what else? This is why hi-end hi-fi is typically so expensive: je ne sais quoi never comes cheep!"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SeventhSeven posted:

Zen and the art of audiophile reviews:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1202/konusessence.htm

"At the end of the day, all any enhanced-quality specialty hi-fi can do is provide the maximum je ne sais quoi that the composer musician, singer-songwriter has to offer. And, you know what else? This is why hi-end hi-fi is typically so expensive: je ne sais quoi never comes cheep!"

Considering "je ne sais quoi" literally means "I don't know what," I'd say that's extremely accurate.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Some chuckle-gently caress posted:

... I was listening to Sam Cooke at this electrician's house in New Jersey. He had the loudspeakers set up on top of a chest of drawers in his bedroom. There was a mirror behind them and cosmetics scattered around them. Sam is singing "Twisting the Night Away".

We had to sit on his bed to listen. It was a weird scene, but amazing. I could hardly speak. I was choked up. When I finally did speak, all I could say was "Holy fuckin' poo poo! This is un-loving-believable!" ...

...It was the late 1980s when I heard that electrician's 755s...

"One time in the 80's I was really high on coke and listened to Sam Cooke. I've been blowing tens of thousands of dollars chasing that high ever since!"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bigman.50grand posted:

"One time in the 80's I was really high on coke and listened to Sam Cooke. I've been blowing tens of thousands of dollars chasing that high ever since!"

With the kind of sick cash thrown at useless gizmos by audiophiles, they make drugs look stellar from a value of money standpoint.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Palladium posted:

With the kind of sick cash thrown at useless gizmos by audiophiles, they make drugs look stellar from a value of money standpoint.

Drugs usually at least partially deliver on the intangible becoming noticeable.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

taqueso posted:

Solution is simple and obvious.

Re-release it with the new screen as a new improved edition, charge more, talk about how much better the electronics are.

When your screen supply runs out, repeat. Then talk about exclusivity.

Seventyfour
Apr 6, 2009

Beneath the Pavement
The Beach
We [=have wssa=w[whttp://tinyurl.com/pk6h7g3

Seventyfour
Apr 6, 2009

Beneath the Pavement
The Beach
A

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Did all this audiotomfoolery blow your gasket, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cat typing while driving confirmed