Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sole Survivor posted:

Something important to note is that it looks like Fallout 4 has adopted the standard FPS control scheme. There seems to be a button for throwing grenades, a button for sprinting, and a button for meleeing with your gun, in addition to the iron sights/scopes.

Since they're sticking to the first and third person perspective, making it look and feel good and fun to play is a good change.

Bayonets on guns + melee button is going to be a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Duckbag posted:

This lends credence to the whole "five years behind" theory. Five years ago, these were already standard, but five years before Fallout 3, this stuff was still cutting edge.

Cutting edge? Are you kidding? That stuff was bog standard in a lot of games way before then in the five years leading up to Fallout 3, we're talking pre-2000s here. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Back Hack posted:

Cutting edge? Are you kidding? That stuff was bog standard in a lot of games way before then in the five years leading up to Fallout 3, we're talking pre-2000s here. :v:

Unreal Tournament was released in 1999, so I don't think it was quite standard at that point.

Fallout 3 was a 2008 release and Half Life 2 was 2004, so you're looking at HL2 contemporary games. Call of Duty 2 was released in 2005 which I would imagine was probably the point when games started to really adopt the now comparatively common standard FPS interface.

Halo came out in 2001 but I think it was something of an outlier.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 16, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

GirlBones posted:

As weird as hiring AAA voice talent and only have them in the ten minute prologue?

Emperor Uriel Septim wasn't supposed to die so early (at least not exactly). Everything was going to happen like it happens in the final game, except when you went to Cloud Ruler Temple, it was going to be revealed that the man who was killed was actually the infamous Jagar Tharn, known to use foul magicks to impersonate the emperor(s). For whatever reason or coincidence, Tharn was the unwitting body double to a Mythic Dawn assassination at the time the player encounters him in the sewers. The real Uriel Septim was at Cloud Ruler Temple the entire time, plotting...something. It'd never be explained. Reunited with his illegitimate son, Martin, the two would prick themselves and mash their blood together as part of the key to defeating Mehrunes Dagon.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

^^^Never stop.

OwlFancier posted:

Unreal Tournament was released in 1999, so I don't think it was quite standard at that point.

Fallout 3 was a 2008 release and Half Life 2 was 2004, so you're looking at HL2 contemporary games. Call of Duty 2 was released in 2005 which I would imagine was probably the point when games started to really adopt the now comparatively common standard FPS interface.

Halo came out in 2001 but I think it was something of an outlier.

Yeah, it's weird to think about now, but when Halo: Combat Evolved came out, there was really nothing else like it.

e: also I just realized that, 10 years ago, I had no idea what "iron sights" even meant.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 16, 2015

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Emperor Uriel Septim wasn't supposed to die so early (at least not exactly). Everything was going to happen like it happens in the final game, except when you went to Cloud Ruler Temple, it was going to be revealed that the man who was killed was actually the infamous Jagar Tharn, known to use foul magicks to impersonate the emperor(s). For whatever reason or coincidence, Tharn was the unwitting body double to a Mythic Dawn assassination at the time the player encounters him in the sewers. The real Uriel Septim was at Cloud Ruler Temple the entire time, plotting...something. It'd never be explained. Reunited with his illegitimate son, Martin, the two would prick themselves and mash their blood together as part of the key to defeating Mehrunes Dagon.

Jagar Tharn = Decoy Octopus, got it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's... actually way stupider than what we got.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Duckbag posted:

e: also I just realized that, 10 years ago, I had no idea what "iron sights" even meant.

CoD came out in 2003, which was 12 years ago. You're a loving dumbass.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, it's weird to think about now, but when Halo: Combat Evolved came out, there was really nothing else like it.

It's also intriguing to see just how the first Halo was marketed, before the brand identity had been fully formed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFbafvx2Dyg

There were a few trailers of the "Sweeping cinematic shots with orchestral music and chanting" variety, but even those mostly just consisted of recut gameplay footage and cutscenes vaguely mashed together to form a commercial. It also went through a massive, massive amount of changes, starting as a real-time strategy game before turning into a third-person guerrilla warfare game where you play as a generic Marine and finally being totally rewritten and revamped into an FPS in a little over a year of work. At this time, Bungie was only a few years out of being an independent company where the developers boxed the games themselves to fill enough orders. I don't think anybody expected Halo to become such a massive smash hit, let alone spawn the Star Wars of video game franchises.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

The Microsoft showing of gameplay in general makes the combat look a lot less wonky and reliant on VATS than the past two games. It seems to flow and control more like a typical FPS.

I apologize to all of the RPG purists who are upset that it's now possible for people who don't like exactly what they do to play the game.

What on earth made the older games impenetrable? I don't understand.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

HAH! Alright, pull the other leg now.

Yes, the whole 'SKYRIM FOR PURE, LILY WHITE NORDS ONLY!' schtick wasn't straightforward at all, and having Ulfric in Nord Limbo run up and tell the player hat the rebellion was a total mistake before he gets swallowed by Luicfer Aluindin in the final mission was brilliantly subtle.

This just in, resisting colonization by a huge empire is now evil racism

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

What on earth made the older games impenetrable?

I never said that, or anything close to that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

And BF1942 came out a year before that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

This just in, resisting colonization by a huge empire is now evil racism

Strictly speaking the nords started the empire.

Also ulfic is pretty racist, it's a plot point if you ever visit windhelm.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

PittTheElder posted:

And BF1942 came out a year before that.

1942 didn't have iron sights. First BF game with them was BF2 in 2005.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The farthest I ever got with the civil war stuff in Skyrim was I conquered a couple of cities for the stormcloaks, I realized they didn't appreciate my sweet tactical and strategic prowess so I turned on them and made it my mission to wipe out every stormcloak i could see.

Every playthrough after that I just ignored that crap. Because it's bad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Strictly speaking the nords started the empire.

Also ulfic is pretty racist, it's a plot point if you ever visit windhelm.

The Stormcloaks are like docile puppies compared to Vvardenfell's Dunmer. Hell, I played as a Nord and thought they didn't nearly go far enough. I was expecting a brutal war of liberation/extermination against those smug elves and their imperial puppets.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

1942 didn't have iron sights. First BF game with them was BF2 in 2005.

Really? I could have sworn that it did. I'm picturing an iron sighted Garand right now.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, but I didn't play it until years later, so get off my nuts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All the dialogue in the various showcases was really, really bad. Like, the protagonist seemed to only talk in non sequiturs.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Apparently none of you queers played Trespasser, because that had ironsights before ironsights were even a "thing".

EDIT: Or a little mod called "Night's Edge" for UT'99, hmmm? That came out in 2001?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 16, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I never said that, or anything close to that.

Ah, so I misread your second line in the quote, gotcha.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I apologize to all of the RPG purists who are upset that it's now possible for people who don't like exactly what they do to play the game.

I'd be surprised to learn any RPG purist actually liked Fallout 3 and New Vegas' handling of combat.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I suspect that RPG purists like only one game ever made and hate everything else with burning passion. "Baldur's Gate II is a blasphemy against the pure vision of the original game!"

Like there's no group of RPG purists with consensus spanning many games, or even many franchises.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I still got Atom Bomb Baby stuck in my head, Fuckers made a catchy tune back then.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Apparently none of you queers played Trespasser, because that had ironsights before ironsights were even a "thing".

EDIT: Or a little mod called "Night's Edge" for UT'99, hmmm? That came out in 2001?

spasticly flailing a shotgun in the face of a raptor that moves like a bad puppet as it attempts to nuzzle you to death, good times...

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Fallout 4: 100% Daily Value of Salt

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

spasticly flailing a shotgun in the face of a raptor that moves like a bad puppet as it attempts to nuzzle you to death, good times...

Then the towers fell and the raptors were swapped out with Nazis and terrorists, but everything else remained the same.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
I'm hoping that with all this crafting that Hardcore Mode will be available. My spergy adventures in the Mojave, collecting junk for the sole purpose of turning it into high quality food and items even if I didn't use them, must be continued. Especially now if you can scavenge almost anything. Goodbye eyesore ruins and garbage piles. I will singlehandedly rebuild civilization. Who needs a plotline?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm not sure if I missed the resolution to this but for the guys who were super upset that this game is betraying Fallout's roots by having you play a fairly predefined person, you do realize that every game in the series except New Vegas accounted for literally everything you've done in your life (sat around in a vault/sat around in your lovely tribal village) up to the beginning of the game right? I mean, you even get to talk to your aunt and cousins in the second one. Maybe they were confusing Fallout with the Elder Scrolls or something :raise:

Also, RE:crafting, Jesus Christ I've probably spent hours just getting my player homes in Fallout 3/New Vegas/Skyrim to look right as it is, getting to build my own city and then having to place and replace everything to account for whatever weird clipping and AI pathfinding bugs exist will inevitably lead to me spending like 70% of the game doing exactly that and ignoring the plot even harder
:negative:

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 16, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

steinrokkan posted:

All the dialogue in the various showcases was really, really bad. Like, the protagonist seemed to only talk in non sequiturs.

I am eagerly awaiting him to quote other video games and popular movies. Especially other Fallout games.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

That's the real problem, not the fact that the protagonist has a background (though Fallout 4's seems slightly more specific than Fallout 1's and 2's, but not by a whole lot).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm not sure if I missed the resolution to this but for the guys who were super upset that this game is betraying Fallout's roots by having you play a fairly predefined person, you do realize that every game in the series except New Vegas accounted for literally everything you've done in your life (sat around in a vault/sat around in your lovely tribal village) up to the beginning of the game right? I mean, you even get to talk to your aunt and cousins in the second one. Maybe they were confusing Fallout with the Elder Scrolls or something :raise:
Well, even New Vegas had details about your past before the bullets assigned to you, even down to an antagonist, so you are even more right in that respect.

I think the only problem people have is the idea that you have to have been married up to the bombs going off and this implies your character sexuality more than before.

If the games angle is that you were an android though, those complaints kinda drown out.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

Well, even New Vegas had details about your past before the bullets assigned to you, even down to an antagonist, so you are even more right in that respect.

I think the only problem people have is the idea that you have to have been married up to the bombs going off and this implies your character sexuality more than before.

If the games angle is that you were an android though, those complaints kinda drown out.

Is the android thing based off of anything besides "that would be cool" because it sounds too convoluted. Seeing as the old leaks already seem to suggest the player is cryogenically frozen, that provides enough of a sci-fi reason for why he's alive 200 years later.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I'm pretty excited for the game, there's definitely some cool looking stuff in there but I am totally bummed out at the speech system and dialogue - while I don't mind a voiced protag this is their casting call dialogue.

Also I don't understand the levelling now, people think it will be like Skryim, but I don't even understand how it could be (doing stuff levels it up) when there's not even a stat screen to tell you what your skills are. We know at least there are barter bobbleheads etc, so... I dunno, it's all weird.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Can't wait to get 30 prestige levels out of doing 20 hours worth of gunsmithing and armor mods over and over. You're actually going to have ways to go through your entire hoard of garbage components to remake society/become a God of Death.

Gonna be the Johnny Appleseed of lovely wasteland gear and makeshift homes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

sout posted:

Is the android thing based off of anything besides "that would be cool" because it sounds too convoluted. Seeing as the old leaks already seem to suggest the player is cryogenically frozen, that provides enough of a sci-fi reason for why he's alive 200 years later.

I'm not sure how it's all that convoluted. There's a quest in Fallout 3 called "the Replicated Man" indicating the existence of androids in Boston, there's all the tip-toeing around where you sign your stats on insurance papers before you head to the vault, there's the fact that the atomic explosion happens right in your face and you definitely are right there with your spouse and child as you disintegrate only to emerge 200 years later as the only person in the vault.

In fact, the only support I see for being cryogenically frozen is that the game really wants you to believe that is what happened and offers very little evidence of how it is possible for you to be the only one. What happened to the guy who put you in it in that case?

I mean, it could just be Bethesda writing at full sprint here, I'll admit, but it seems like a lost opportunity at the same time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mordaedil posted:

I think it's that in the previous games once you left for the adventure, you left your background behind, and were no longer bound by any ties to the past (debatable). In FO4, with the PC returning home to his robot, there being an implied plot about his family etc., it seems like the plot will be at least partially about the character reclaiming his pre-war background, rather than about escaping it - so in effect there will be less of a space for player self-actualization. It's all speculation, but it's natural, given how prominently the character background features in all promo materials.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

I think it's that in the previous games once you left for the adventure, you left your background behind, and were no longer bound by any ties to the past (debatable). In FO4, with the PC returning home to his robot, there being an implied plot about his family etc., it seems like the plot will be at least partially about the character reclaiming his pre-war background, rather than about escaping it - so in effect there will be less of a space for player self-actualization. It's all speculation, but it's natural, given how prominently the character background features in all promo materials.

it's not gay if was 200 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The fact you can customize the protagonist's spouse means they're likely relevant past the intro.

• Locked thread