Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

and BSG is a great tv show, its just fashionable to hate it at the moment because its coming on for a decade old. things will spin back around again and people will recommend it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i have no idea what the gently caress is fashionable in the sci fi world, but that show is fuckin lame and anybody that likes it is lame

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

opus111 posted:

and BSG is a great tv show, its just fashionable to hate it at the moment because its coming on for a decade old. things will spin back around again and people will recommend it eventually.

Also because it went off the rails after Season 2

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Continuity is far less important then internal consistency, and it is the heart of Star Trek. All problems on the show are solved by reason. Everyone knows how a sword fight works so if you solve problems in your show by sword fighting, everyone already has a pretty good understanding of what's going on, the difficulties involved, how one guy might be tougher to beat, appreciate the use of creativity to gain an edge and so on. Because there isn't this basically physicality to problem solving in Star Trek, it goes to great lengths to establish and maintain the rules of the universe, because otherwise the struggles and accomplishments of the characters would be meaningless. You need to learn that Klingons have cloaks, the warp drive reacts matter and antimatter with dilithium to create warp plasma that creates a bubble that warps space to fling the ship around at super luminal velocities, that a holodeck character can't live outside the holodeck and Bajor's gods are actually real. It's the internal reality of the show that not only makes it compelling but powers every story beat.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Re: Naomi Wildman's mom, she almost died in one episode, but for some reason the writers all thought she had actually died, so she stopped showing up.

Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015

opus111 posted:

The finale ruined the series, I couldn't recommend people waste time watching it for what transpired in the final season. Watch the mini-series, then pretend they made it to earth and fought the Cylons and lost, with it any hope humanity had of survival that is the ending I wanted to see, and that is how I will remember it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cobra-Commander posted:

The finale ruined the series, I couldn't recommend people waste time watching it for what transpired in the final season. Watch the mini-series, then pretend they made it to earth and fought the Cylons and lost, with it any hope humanity had of survival that is the ending I wanted to see, and that is how I will remember it.

You're robbing yourself of a couple of seasons of great TV if you do that, though.

If you had said to watch through the first four episodes of season three, and then pretend that the show was tragically canceled in its prime by evil network executives, then I'd have a lot less of a problem with that strategy.

Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015

Powered Descent posted:

You're robbing yourself of a couple of seasons of great TV if you do that, though.

If you had said to watch through the first four episodes of season three, and then pretend that the show was tragically canceled in its prime by evil network executives, then I'd have a lot less of a problem with that strategy.

33 was one of the best episodes of sci fi of any series, most of the show was soap opera tier though, mainly due to budget cuts.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

i have no idea what the gently caress is fashionable in the sci fi world, but that show is fuckin lame and anybody that likes it is lame

lol outrage much?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

opus111 posted:

lol outrage much?

no, not even a little

just because people dont like the show you're a fanboy of doesn't mean they're outraged

hth

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'll say one thing for BSG: It made a drat good board game

Seriously, grab 4 of your friends and play it, it's awesome

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

no, not even a little

just because people dont like the show you're a fanboy of doesn't mean they're outraged

hth

lol i don't care if people like it or not, which is why i post in gbs and not tv/iv, where people do care a lot.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Lol I'm watching voyager, s6e20. At the beginning they carry, by hand, a power transfer requisition all they way to some idiot jerk in engineering or whatever. It's like, dude you in loving space flying faster than light and you can't transfer a file to the dudes computer what

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Those roaming charges are a bitch outside the alpha quadrant

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Lol I'm watching voyager, s6e20. At the beginning they carry, by hand, a power transfer requisition all they way to some idiot jerk in engineering or whatever. It's like, dude you in loving space flying faster than light and you can't transfer a file to the dudes computer what

Star Trek was right about tablets, I'll give them that. But they really poo poo the bed when it came to wireless data transfer. It happens on DS9 all the time too, some secretary ensign comes in and hands Sisko a PADD like it's a hanging file she just pulled out of the cabinet.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
yeah let me just clear off my desk filled with tablets

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

it makes sense to have multple pads because i assume they're as commonplace and cheap as paper and switching from screen to screen on one device is really annoying.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

opus111 posted:

it makes sense to have multple pads because i assume they're as commonplace and cheap as paper and switching from screen to screen on one device is really annoying.

congrats youre an idiot

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fetus Tree posted:

congrats youre an idiot

rude

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

truth hurts

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

congrats youre an idiot

you're continuing hostility and internet stalking of me makes you look like a very strange person.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

opus111 posted:

you're continuing hostility and internet stalking of me makes you look like a very strange person.

lol what the gently caress other thread do you think im stalking you in

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Starfleet is mainly a jobs program

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Star Trek predicted tablet computers, but predicted that people would only use them as glorified floppy disks with the only program installed on them being Notepad.

Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015
Star Fleet manages to beat the Borg in every movie. Every thing that happens in every episode is just the lead up to the next battle with the machines. Which makes sense, because the machines are superior to humans in almost every way imaginable.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I love seeing those tablets. I like to imagine they're all playing Klingon Krush and posting on Spacebook :allears:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Klingon Krush is played with the google glass that makes you go crazy

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Entropic posted:

Star Trek predicted tablet computers, but predicted that people would only use them as glorified floppy disks with the only program installed on them being Notepad.

Also, each one only has 100K of RAM, so you need to have a lot of them if you want to store multiple files.

And they have no keyboard or voice interface, but instead, you write on them using some sort of weird pencil:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

opus111 posted:

lol i don't care if people like it or not, which is why i post in gbs and not tv/iv, where people do care a lot.

opus111 posted:

it doesn't last so long because its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real!!!!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Also because it went off the rails after Season 2

you might say THEY WENT THE WRONG WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The really annoying thing about BSG is how eventually they started doing this thing where they put stuff in the "Previously on Battlestar Galactica" that didn't happen.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

The really annoying thing about BSG is how eventually they started doing this thing where they put stuff in the "Previously on Battlestar Galactica" that didn't happen.

They took one of the right lessons from Arrested Development?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

muscles like this? posted:

"Previously on Everyone's a Cylon".

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

You can try tabbed browsing in LCARS but it will more than likely cause the console to explode and lodge itself in your skull

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fetus Tree posted:

yeah let me just clear off my desk filled with tablets

Stuff like this is really stupid but who cares, it's just visual shorthand for portraying events on the screen in a way the viewer can relate to in order to progress the story, and I think it's easy to understand and accept that. Sci-Fi that seriously speculates how daily life would change with advanced technology is interesting but Star Trek has never ever been that, I can't think of even a single episode that does. (Maybe Barclay's holodiction, barely? There must be at least a few.)

Star Trek instead flatly and stubbornly assumes daily routines won't change at all (which is ridiculous sometimes, as you and others are correctly noting here!) in order to just try to tell stories about the people. I want to tie this in somehow with bad script writers using unsatisfying technobabble resolutions to their plot but I am tired of writing this post.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lord of Pie posted:

You can try tabbed browsing in LCARS but it will more than likely cause the console to explode and lodge itself in your skull

Electronics of all kinds have been very dangerous ever since the ancient technology of "fuses" was lost in the eugenics wars.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mr. Horrible posted:

Star Trek was right about tablets, I'll give them that. But they really poo poo the bed when it came to wireless data transfer. It happens on DS9 all the time too, some secretary ensign comes in and hands Sisko a PADD like it's a hanging file she just pulled out of the cabinet.

tv is a visual medium, watching an extra hand a thing to the character makes more sense than the character sitting around and seeing new mail on his screen

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I remember a scene where Sisko is pissed so he takes a PADD and throws it across the room.

There's a big difference between Star Trek PADDs and real tablets, their screens are made out of Space Glass and can survive being thrown at a wall, and if you do manage to break it you just replicate another. Once we have tablets that are cheap enough and tough enough to not worry about how we handle them, we may see changes to usage habits.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Ralp posted:

Stuff like this is really stupid but who cares, it's just visual shorthand for portraying events on the screen in a way the viewer can relate to in order to progress the story, and I think it's easy to understand and accept that. Sci-Fi that seriously speculates how daily life would change with advanced technology is interesting but Star Trek has never ever been that, I can't think of even a single episode that does. (Maybe Barclay's holodiction, barely? There must be at least a few.)

Star Trek instead flatly and stubbornly assumes daily routines won't change at all (which is ridiculous sometimes, as you and others are correctly noting here!) in order to just try to tell stories about the people. I want to tie this in somehow with bad script writers using unsatisfying technobabble resolutions to their plot but I am tired of writing this post.

i was just remarking that while they nailed tablets they didnt at all nail their functionality, idgaf, youll find me to be one of the least likely to harp on sci fi tech crap

i prefer to talk about skants and worf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Don't forget everyone has a laptop too, but they only have one button.

• Locked thread