Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

You might want two decant two rinses for ripe puerh, depending on how young it is. I tend to treat raw puerh like a high mountain oolong, but it's more versatile with water temperature, it can withstand from 180F to boiling and can bring out different notes (In particular you might want to do lower temps for young sheng). Always do boiling for ripe. Watch the color of the brew, ripe puerh will infuse really, really fast and it's easy to make it too strong early on, but will become more manageable within the next few steeps.

Oh yeah, for ratios I usually start around 5-6g/100ml and 1st infusion, 8 seconds for ripe, 15 for raw, and adjust from there. Once you get to know a certain puerh you'll kind of figure it out later how long your first steep should be.

I'd also recommend looking at TeaDB's review channel, they do a kind of casual, practical gong-fu for puerh without ceremony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91zlYocZ6rs

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It's a matter of taste, I think - some people consider the first round of ripe puerhs to be too strong for them (similar to lapsang souchong, etc.) so discarding or blending the first and second rounds (with or without a rinse) may yield some nice results too.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
So how much room do the leaves actually need to brew properly? I ask because I'm using the FORLIFE 45 oz teapot and the infuser that came with it. I've been using about 16g of leaves per pot which looks fine in the infuser dry, but swells to whatever the waterline is once I add water. Not floating to the top, but a fairly solid group of tea leaves filling the infuser. I think the tea tastes fine but the whole situation just seems a bit absurd to me, and if the leaves are too cramped to infuse properly, it seems like using less tea might get me the same or better taste. Is that right, or should I get a larger infuser, or just keep on with what I've been doing?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If you have a basket filter you're fine unless you're going real crazy with the amount of leaf you're using. Using something like a teaball though is what people are talking about when the leaves are restricted. You're probably fine!

agadhahab
Feb 4, 2009

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good ginger-based tea? I've been having a lot of stomach problems, and as delicious as Mint Majesty from Teavana is (and cheap: 2 oz of the stuff packs an 8 oz size bag!), I'm getting really really really sick of minty things.

I was looking at Super Ginger from DavidsTea, but it's listed as being really spicy and I have to limit spice for the moment.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/saenggangcha

Basically, purée ginger and mix with an equal amount of honey. Store in a jar in the fridge and when needed mix a large spoonful into a mug of hot water. Boom. Korean saenggangcha.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

killa-pope posted:

So how much room do the leaves actually need to brew properly? I ask because I'm using the FORLIFE 45 oz teapot and the infuser that came with it. I've been using about 16g of leaves per pot which looks fine in the infuser dry, but swells to whatever the waterline is once I add water. Not floating to the top, but a fairly solid group of tea leaves filling the infuser. I think the tea tastes fine but the whole situation just seems a bit absurd to me, and if the leaves are too cramped to infuse properly, it seems like using less tea might get me the same or better taste. Is that right, or should I get a larger infuser, or just keep on with what I've been doing?

Should be fine but if you want, you can experiment. Take the basket out and just dump the leaves in the pot. When you're ready to pour, pour it through the basket to catch the leaves before they hit the cup.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Made some jasmine tea earlier today and drizzled in some capillaire leftover from a Limmer's club gin punch. It was delicious.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I picked up a new tiny teapot last week and I have been goin a bit crazy on the oolongs as a result. The most interesting one I've brewed so far is the "Blue People King Grade Oolong". It's an excellent tea originating from Taiwan, I believe, and its primary characteristic is the long and very sweet natural finish it has. This is the specific one I was sampling, but I'm sure there are other vendors out there that have their own version:

http://aromateashop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=41_20&product_id=229

I can confirm that the finish is pretty crazy. The flavor lingers in the mouth for a long time.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I bought some of that stuff in San Francisco a couple years ago. It's almost like licorice.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Any suggestions for an alternative to upton's vietnamese loose leaf black tea? They haven't carried it in more than a year, and I'm looking for simple alternatives, no terrible additive bullshit like mint or rose petals. Thanks.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
This is the time of year when I buy way too much tea. Teavivre's 2015 spring harvest is coming in, and I couldn't resist the Mother's Day free shipping. Haven't had the chance to try everything yet, but I'm really enjoying their Bi Luo Chun, and their Gunpowder is a great value for the price.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I got the TeaVivre 2015 sampler. Everything smelled fresh and was mostly whole leaves and buds. I would vouch for all of these but the Dragon Well. Everything is about $19/100g but the Mao Jian is $14.

Premium Dragon Well - Disappointing. Has a hint of apricot sweetness that I don't enjoy.
Lu Shan Yun Wu - Very good. Nutty flavor. A little bit of bitterness but I prefer it to sweetness.
Bi Luo Chun - Good all around. Nothing stood out.
Xin Yang Mao Jian - Very good. Savory and smoky without any seaweed taste. It's like vegetable broth. This would be wonderful restaurant tea but I couldn't drink it every day.
Huang Shan Mao Feng - Very good. I've had some bad mao feng in the past and was happy with this.

I've got the last 5g of the bad mao feng cold brewing and it has barely colored the water after 21 hours.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I got the TeaVivre 2015 sampler. Everything smelled fresh and was mostly whole leaves and buds. I would vouch for all of these but the Dragon Well. Everything is about $19/100g but the Mao Jian is $14.

Premium Dragon Well - Disappointing. Has a hint of apricot sweetness that I don't enjoy.
Lu Shan Yun Wu - Very good. Nutty flavor. A little bit of bitterness but I prefer it to sweetness.
Bi Luo Chun - Good all around. Nothing stood out.
Xin Yang Mao Jian - Very good. Savory and smoky without any seaweed taste. It's like vegetable broth. This would be wonderful restaurant tea but I couldn't drink it every day.
Huang Shan Mao Feng - Very good. I've had some bad mao feng in the past and was happy with this.

I've got the last 5g of the bad mao feng cold brewing and it has barely colored the water after 21 hours.

I tried a cup of the Premium Dragon Well after reading this, and it was every bit as good as last year's. Maybe you got a bad batch? Teavivre's customer service is very good so it might be worth getting in touch with them.

I got some of that Huang Shan Mao Feng too, and I agree, it's the good stuff.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I haven't had this batch of dragonwell but it's pretty much my favorite tea from their site. Sucks you didn't like it :(

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Good evening tea thread. I'm in the market for a proper teapot, but I'm kind of at a loss w/r/t all the options out there. I'm looking for something that's good to use interchangeably between types, everything from earl grey and herbal teas like spicy rooibos blends to green tea and hōjicha and so on. Now, I know that unglazed pots are bad for this since it will absorb the oils and tastes from steeping, so you'd want to have one pot for one specific tea, but other than that I'm at a complete loss. Should I get something with a filter/strainer or without? Would cast iron be best, or should I go with some fancy modern glass or stainless steel type thing? Or glazed ceramics/porcelain type teapot?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

ulvir posted:

Good evening tea thread. I'm in the market for a proper teapot, but I'm kind of at a loss w/r/t all the options out there. I'm looking for something that's good to use interchangeably between types, everything from earl grey and herbal teas like spicy rooibos blends to green tea and hōjicha and so on. Now, I know that unglazed pots are bad for this since it will absorb the oils and tastes from steeping, so you'd want to have one pot for one specific tea, but other than that I'm at a complete loss. Should I get something with a filter/strainer or without? Would cast iron be best, or should I go with some fancy modern glass or stainless steel type thing? Or glazed ceramics/porcelain type teapot?

I'm going to be honest here -- I can't tell the difference. I'd get one with a filter/strainer because otherwise it'll be a hassle to make tea with it.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Glass teapots are nice because you get to watch the leaves dance and unfurl.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

ulvir posted:

There are three primary considerations that you'll want to take into account for your use case: price, aesthetic, and capacity. There are different answers for what you're looking for. As an example, cast iron teapots tend to be expensive and have an enameled inside - if you're looking for one without the enamel glaze, be aware that those are only used for heating water and not brewing tea, and tend to run three to four hundred bucks plus shipping.

One of the most standard teapots that has good ergonomics at a decent price are ones manufactured by Bee House. They look nice, come with a basket filter and a hinged lid (both pieces being removable) and cost anywhere from twenty to thirty bucks. http://www.beehouseteapot.com/beehouse.htm

Glass teapots are the most fragile and are just as expensive as any other teapot, but as Juaguocio mentions, you can more easily watch your tea leave steep. This can be important if you are presenting tea for service to other people and you'd like to admire the tea leaves (such as with blossoming teas, which bloom into a flower shape while steeping). If you are a rough handler of teapots, you may wish to avoid them.

Essentially, ask yourself how much tea you drink, how often do you drink it, where do you drink it (home and office use tends to imply some different situations with cleaning/travel/sharing), and how much do you want to spend - from there, any teapot that fits your budget will suffice just fine. Once you start getting into more esoteric things, you will probably have a better idea of what you want beyond the questions you're asking. The only time you'll want to worry about unglazed pots would be for yixing, zisha, zhuni etc. pots that are very small (5oz or less capacity) and tend to be pretty expensive (forty dollars and up). They are intended for selective categories of tea so you would want to consider using one of these for one category of tea only - oolongs, Chinese green teas, puerh, and so on.

tldr: don't worry about it and get a teapot that makes you smile and doesn't burn your knuckles

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Thanks a bunch. Its intended use is most primarilly at home, so I'll just stop overthinking it and just find something with an aesthetic that makes me go "yes! this is what I want" without breaking the bank. I'll probably tumble down the rabbit hole sooner or later, so I'll just keep those fancy old chinese pots on the backburner for now.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Another thing to consider is how quickly you're going to drink the tea. If you tend to leave it sitting for longer periods of time and very slowly working through it (particularly with a larger pot), you'll want to put a little thought toward heat retention. Looks are definitely #1 though to begin with.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

glomkettle posted:

Another thing to consider is how quickly you're going to drink the tea. If you tend to leave it sitting for longer periods of time and very slowly working through it (particularly with a larger pot), you'll want to put a little thought toward heat retention. Looks are definitely #1 though to begin with.

I'll probably go through a couple or three cups or so per serving, and I guess somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes per cup? What's a simple ballpark ranking of material as far as heat retention goes?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Are you opposed to a basket strainer and a mug? Personally it seems like a waste to get a teapot for single servings, especially since you can reuse leaves a few times before they're spent. Otherwise, enameled cast iron is probably your best bet for long heat retention, or a setup that has a teapot warmer.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I'm using a teaball type infuser already, but m noticing that I usually drink more than just one cup at a time, so I figured a teapot would be more practical since I could just pour another cup instead of having to boil water again for each successive serving. A strainer where the tea floats around freely in the mug wouldn't really change much as is, since I would still have to fill up and turn the electric kettle on each time anyway.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Another advantage of an in-cup strainer is that over the course your tea drinking you'll end up resteeping the leaves a few times, which is a little harder to do if you're using a pot by yourself just because of the sheer amount you'd have to drink.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Even still, I want to prepare more than one cup at a time, which is the reason I'm looking for a teapot in the first place. I'm already sometimes and sometimes not resteeping, I'm already going on a "cup by cup basis". I want something more, not a different way of doing the exact same bloody thing.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Fair enough. If you're leaving it sitting for that long you probably want a teapot warmer and/or cast iron pot with enamel.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Heat retention is fairly overrated when it comes to at-home use. You don't need to use a tealight candle and fancy platform to rest your cast iron teapot in for basic use - tea cozies and thermoses are both fantastic for maintaining heat and are priced reasonably compared to cast iron. You can, of course, also just pour and microwave assuming your cup of choice doesn't have metal in it. This is what I do for plenty of teas that we drink 'family' style from our larger teapot, and for all I can tell the liquid heating up is fine and doesn't stale in the minute or so you have your mug in the microwave.

For frame of reference, a tea cozy can keep a preheated pot of tea warm for up to an hour after steeping. Don't want to buy one? Wrap a towel or blanket around the teapot, or put your favorite beanie on top of your teapot.

Since someone brought up the topic of basket filters, if you're looking for one, I recommend Finum basket filters. They come in a variety of sizes and the primary difference between them and other filters I've used is that they have good capacity and don't have leaves getting stuck in the filter holes (it is more meshlike). They have handy lids that double as coasters for the filter basket when you're done steeping and need to remove the filter basket.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

How do you guys feel about disposable tea bags for loose leaf teas? My initial reaction is "no bad, the leaves will have no room to expand" but on using a few a friend gave me, when I'm only using a single teaspoon or less for one cup of tea, it didn't appear to make a difference at all and the taste was exactly the same. Could certain types of tea suffer more than others?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Safari Disco Lion posted:

How do you guys feel about disposable tea bags for loose leaf teas? My initial reaction is "no bad, the leaves will have no room to expand" but on using a few a friend gave me, when I'm only using a single teaspoon or less for one cup of tea, it didn't appear to make a difference at all and the taste was exactly the same. Could certain types of tea suffer more than others?

You mean open fill bags like t-sacs? They have plenty of room to expand. They come in different sizes (I recommend Finum again here because their paper choice is better than t-sac brand, which is stiff and can impart kind of a paper taste to your brew (prewash them before steeping). Tea will suffer more from water quality and temperature more than what you steep it in. I use open fill teabags when brewing iced tea in the fridge. Works fine, they don't fall apart, and they haven't ruptured as a result of too much leaf no matter how much leaf I've put in.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

aldantefax posted:

You mean open fill bags like t-sacs? They have plenty of room to expand. They come in different sizes (I recommend Finum again here because their paper choice is better than t-sac brand, which is stiff and can impart kind of a paper taste to your brew (prewash them before steeping). Tea will suffer more from water quality and temperature more than what you steep it in. I use open fill teabags when brewing iced tea in the fridge. Works fine, they don't fall apart, and they haven't ruptured as a result of too much leaf no matter how much leaf I've put in.

I'll second the t-sacs for iced tea. Really, anytime I'm brewing a large quantity at once, I use them because I got a package of the large size. Plenty of room for most of my oolongs to expand, but I resteep when I'm doing 64oz and mix together. For green teas and most black teas that I make into Iced versions though, they can fit all that I need. Some people may say you shouldn't, but I staple them shut with a strand of cooking twine to pull them out.

ulvir posted:

Even still, I want to prepare more than one cup at a time, which is the reason I'm looking for a teapot in the first place. I'm already sometimes and sometimes not resteeping, I'm already going on a "cup by cup basis". I want something more, not a different way of doing the exact same bloody thing.

I use an actual thermos for heat retention. I have a giant one (64oz about) that I'll fill and drink over the course of the day. Temperature doesn't drop much over 24hrs, and I'd recommend a smaller one (32oz maybe) for what you're wanting. If you use the t-sacs, you can steep in the thermos, but I steep in a cheap ceramic pot and then put it in my pre-heated thermos. A small extra step, but it works like a charm.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 18, 2015

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Anyone into Moroccan-style mint tea? I have a lot of Gunpowder sitting around, so I thought I might get some mint and try making my own.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It's really good. I haven't tried the proper instructions with high pouring and sugar but adding 4 leaves while brewing a pint of tea works well.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Yeah I can't be bothered with any of that fancy stuff, and I don't like sugar in my tea anyway. I tried brewing some Gunpowder with dried spearmint today and the result was really nice. I got some peppermint too, so it'll be interesting to compare.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Hey tea thread, a few weeks ago I went to a fancy-rear end tea house/ramen joint and had lapsang souchong for the first time and it kinda changed my life. I want to grab some to make at home, do y'all have any suggestions for which is best value/maybe a splurge/maximum deliciousness?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Was the blend you tried piney or more tobacco-ish?

Juaguocio posted:

Anyone into Moroccan-style mint tea? I have a lot of Gunpowder sitting around, so I thought I might get some mint and try making my own.

It's my favorite mellow day treat to hang out on the deck and just chill out for a while. But with the sugar toned well down from the usual HOLY gently caress levels.

Bought a pack of Tetley British blend on a lark. It is very :geno: but better than expected and I am going to try it out in my next batch of iced tea. I think I'll stick with PG tips for my generi-teabag stash.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
My 2 liters of cold brew jasmine green tea (15g) a day is being questioned by tales of kidney failure and kidney stones from too much tea.

Someone tell me that it's only black tea with oxilates.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
From what I understand the oxalate content of green tea is much lower than that of black tea.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Some more interesting oxalate info here. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19927

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Butch Cassidy posted:

Was the blend you tried piney or more tobacco-ish?

Piney. It was like being out in the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Someone referred me to here for tea stuff. I am not a tea drinker myself, but am buying tea for the office; is there a good bagged green tea at a reasonable price? Something along the lines of Tazo, but without the lemongrass?