Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

AtAt-de-fay posted:

You can't polish a turd, but HBO should've at least made the effort.

I think they did try by putting Jaime in there because nobody gives a poo poo about arianne or the loving sand snakes in the books either. It's just that they hosed up and now instead of adding to the Dornish story arc they just took away from Jaime's story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Iron Lung posted:

Dude. D&D needs to hire some of the Silicon Valley writers because holy poo poo can they write suspense and really deliver a payoff.

The problem is that D&D gets caught between their own medicore writing ability and the demands of following GRRM's megaunfimable book 4-5 which grrm wanted to be 2-3 seasons. Put some better writers might save the embarrassment of Dorne but I think book readers are still gonna bitch.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

bobkatt013 posted:

How could you forget the shame lady?

The shame lady was probably the best new character of the season, I mean that unironically

Some lady who literally say nothing but "shame" and "confess" for the whole season was still better than everybody else they introduced.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stannis hasn't actually had an adaptation counterpart in the show since season 3. Just a dude with the same name.

D&D some how managed to make him seem like a bad guy when he broke the siege on the wall and saved the Night's Watch from certain death. That takes some hosed up negative sum of talent.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
the show's had many betrayals, but the greatest one was that kelly c didn't squat

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Stannis' fate and the Battle of Winterfell is pretty hard to reconcile with the books right now. Given Manderley's scheming and the Karstarks' impending turncoating, there's no way the battle goes the same way in the books. Unless the pink letter can be taken at face value?

And what was Mellisandre's deal? She sees that buring the kid worked, but then just fucks off? Did she plan on going to the Wall anyway, or was that a result of Stannis' defeat?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Junkenstein posted:

Stannis' fate and the Battle of Winterfell is pretty hard to reconcile with the books right now. Given Manderley's scheming and the Karstarks' impending turncoating, there's no way the battle goes the same way in the books. Unless the pink letter can be taken at face value?

And what was Mellisandre's deal? She sees that buring the kid worked, but then just fucks off? Did she plan on going to the Wall anyway, or was that a result of Stannis' defeat?

She never said a word after the bad news came in. She just gets a 'oh gently caress, oh gently caress i was wrong about this? oh gently caress stannis is going to loving kill me if I stick around. I bet everything on him. gently caress gently caress gently caress!" look on her face and hauls rear end back to castle black.

I mean like the next thing he'd say would be "you didn't see half my men with all my horse deserting in the night in your flames?" Every single failure he's had in the show is because he didn't do what the red witch said because of his pride or because it was horrifying. He finally did exactly what she wanted and it went to poo poo.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That makes sense. I thought she'd gone before the news of the deserters spread.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stannis really was having a bad day though. Just burned his daughter, wife hung herself, half his army deserted, got attacked before he was ready, and then had to have a scene with Brienne of loving Tarth.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
Meanwhile on the Iron Islands, Balon twiddles his thumbs awaiting his inevitable demise.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

Book Ramsay has the ironborn flayed after they surrender to him when he sends Theon in to talk them down. He does just as much terrible poo poo as TV Ramsay and has nothing happen to him because Roose is an equally lovely person and Ramsay's the only heir he has for now.

I hope it's not done by Nicolas Cage because his two movies were pretty bad.

In the book though the Boltons experience a lot of blowback for the Red Wedding and for their reputation. You've got the Manderlys undermining them at every turn and half the North wants to turn on them the first chance they get, plus you have Mance and co causing all that trouble.

In the show the Boltons have Winterfell and there isn't the tiniest hint that anything is awry there for them. Literally the only adversity they've faced in the show so far is Sansa and Theon escaping finally.

The show makes it seem like their grip on the North is ironclad and the only threat to it was Stannis. And even Stannis is made to look like a total scrub because of twenty good men and a hamfisted forced burning of Shireen.

It just sticks out like a sore thumb as being contrived. Joffrey was built up as a giant rear end in a top hat villain but he still occasionally got his comeuppance from other characters. Ramsay just gleefully goes from scene to scene raping and torturing with glee. I suppose that's true in the books too to an extent, but as noted above Martin at least goes to great pains to show how tenuous things are for the Boltons.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hogge Wild posted:

the show's had many betrayals, but the greatest one was that kelly c didn't squat

Mayhaps she squatted off-camera, just like Brienne killing Stannis. It is one of the season's biggest cliffhangers. Did Kelly C squat or not?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A Major Fucker posted:

it could have at least showed a closeup on her strained making GBS threads face, or showed some brown stains on her dress, or had a wide shot of her squatting

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Stannis really was having a bad day though. Just burned his daughter, wife hung herself, half his army deserted, got attacked before he was ready, and then had to have a scene with Brienne of loving Tarth.

He just wants to move to Australia

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ginette Reno posted:

You don't see how Ramsay the rapist is D&D's wish fulfillment personified? They love rape and pointless violence even more than the Gurm and show Ramsay gets to engage in more of that with no repercussions than anybody

Ramsay goes well beyond being a rapist, which is why I asked whose Mary Sue he would be. If Caligula was writing this, well, okay.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Mel's only interest is the whole light versus dark thing so when Stannis doesn't work out she's gonna be where the poo poo goes down.

She probably looked in the flames and saw Stannis' army being crushed and was like "welp, he's not AA, peace y'all"

But D&D are bad writers so they'll probably say she was just wrong and ran away.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

Ramsay goes well beyond being a rapist, which is why I asked whose Mary Sue he would be. If Caligula was writing this, well, okay.

Yeah I know. I don't literally think D&D are rapists writing out their rape fantasies. I was making fun of them for their love of gratuitous violence and sex for shock value.

And also using this aspect of Mary Sueism:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My understanding of mary sue was that its a character thats so beloved by the author it fucks up the story. Not necessarily a self-insert.

Which definitely applies to Ramsay since the show loves him as a villain so much that they're making him seem untouchable right now which feels contrived.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Harrenhall was a lot worse imo, and i dont remember anyone major paying for it. Ramsay is just the new Joffrey. He'll get his long after you wished it had happened, probably randomly and easier than he deserves.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I know. I don't literally think D&D are rapists writing out their rape fantasies. I was making fun of them for their love of gratuitous violence and sex for shock value.

Which still barely scratches the surface on Ramsay. :)

quote:

And also using this aspect of Mary Sueism:
Well, to be fair, I've only seen it defined and used in the self-insertion sense.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
man the, uhh "school" of literary analysis that involves pattern matching instead of any actual analysis really sucks

"actually stannis's turn would be a reverse skywalker blumpkin"

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Mike N Eich posted:

D&D accomplished the nearly impossible task of taking very dull and plodding material, speeding it up, inserting fight scenes and drama filled moments, and make it seem worse

GRRM the ball is in your corner, time to over disappoint

I don't know where to begin. The overall drop in quality in both the books and the TV show is astounding... in every aspect. I'm a newcomer to the ASOIAF world and the first three books and the first three seasons are just so much better than what came after.

Here are the things that I absolutely hated about this episode and the season in general:

- Stannis burning his daughter, getting obliterated in the battle of Winterfell. One of the main characters has his entire arc turned on its head and completely destroyed in just two episodes. WTF? That's got to be some kind of record, right?
- Myrcella dieing. I'm pretty sure that Cersei's prophecy foreshadows that both Tommen and Myrcella will die, but I was hoping it will be done in a dramatic way that somehow advances the plot, in other words their deaths have to be meaningful to the story. Myrcella's death in the TV series is just a big :wtc:. Literally a stone's throw from Dorne's shore? With Trystane, who is madly in love with Myrcella, on board? To write her death in this manner takes some serious mental retardation.
- Sansa's arc going nowhere in the end. Jumped off the walls, maybe died, but who gives a gently caress, right?

So the whole buildup to the fall of the Boltons in the hands of the other Northern lords and Stannis is pretty much completely absent in the TV series. The situation in the Riverlands has gone nowhere in the books and was completely ignored in the TV series as well. The of the main storylines which the readers have been desperately waiting to get some closure on remain either completely ignored or turned on its head. Instead we get Dorne... twice. I honestly thought it would be hard to make the Dorne arc more inconsequantial than in the books, but oh boy did they manage it.

The worrying part is that GRRM might've actually cooperated with the show writers to make sure that the key events are more or less in sync, which means we get hosed twice, first by the TV show and then by GRRM himself.

What are the good things we can take away from this fiasco of a season finale? Maybe Stannis isn't completely done yet, his death was off camera and that should always make one suspicious. Cersei's walk of shame was really well done. Kit Harington trolling everyone that Jon is really dead is also quite droll, but I have a feeling that once the next season or the next book (lol) hits, we will wish he would've stayed dead.

The only thing I'm looking forward to is seeing how Tyrion and Varys manage to get Mereen under their control. Other than that I only dread what is in store for us as fans.

OhYeah fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 16, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
My theory re: Stan the Man:

The Night King is a show only invention, the Night's King of legend in the books is not the eternal king of the white walkers but a legendary figure remembered in infamy for his betrayal of the watch and mankind, he's long dead though. It's often been speculated that Stan will have a role similar to that of the legendary Night's King to play but many people forsook this theory due to the appearance of the Night King in the show, I think that the show just chose to go a different route and give a recognizable face to the walkers earlier than the books do so there was no role for Stannis to fill in the end game and thus the his entire arc past marching to winterfell has been a show only invention, and indeed his actions right before going on the march and during the march are significantly different in both mediums.

I want to believe.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Hey I just met you
And this is crazy
But here's Oathkeeper
Say hi to Renly

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

OhYeah posted:

I don't know where to begin. The overall drop in quality in both the books and the TV show is astounding... in every aspect. I'm a newcomer to the ASOIAF world and the first three books and the first three seasons are just so much better than what came after.

Here are the things that I absolutely hated about this episode and the season in general:

- Stannis burning his daughter, getting obliterated in the battle of Winterfell. One of the main characters has his entire arc turned on its head and completely destroyed in just two episodes. WTF? That's got to be some kind of record, right?
- Myrcella dieing. I'm pretty sure that Cersei's prophecy foreshadows that both Tommen and Myrcella will die, but I was hoping it will be done in a dramatic way that somehow advances the plot, in other words their deaths have to be meaningful to the story. Myrcella's death in the TV series is just a big :wtc:. Literally a stone's throw from Dorne's shore? With Trystane, who is madly in love with Myrcella, on board? To write her death in this manner takes some serious mental retardation.
- Sansa's arc going nowhere in the end. Jumped off the walls, maybe died, but who gives a gently caress, right?

So the whole buildup to the fall of the Boltons in the hands of the other Northern lords and Stannis is pretty much completely absent in the TV series. The situation in the Riverlands has gone nowhere in the books and was completely ignored in the TV series as well. The of the main storylines which the readers have been desperately waiting to get some closure on remain either completely ignored or turned on its head. Instead we get Dorne... twice. I honestly thought it would be hard to make the Dorne arc more inconsequantial than in the books, but oh boy did they manage it.

The worrying part is that GRRM might've actually cooperated with the show writers to make sure that the key events are more or less in sync, which means we get hosed twice, first by the TV show and then by GRRM himself.

What are the good things we can take away from this fiasco of a season finale? Maybe Stannis isn't completely done yet, his death was off camera and that should always make one suspicious. Cersei's walk of shame was really well done. Kit Harington trolling everyone that Jon is really dead is also quite droll, but I have a feeling that once the next season or the next book (lol) hits, we will wish he would've stayed dead.

The only thing I'm looking forward to is seeing how Tyrion and Varys manage to get Mereen under their control. Other than that I only dread what is in store for us as fans.

Don't forget Hardhome. That was great.

Also I don't mind Myrcella dying, mostly because I always wondered why GRRM didn't just have her killed in AFFC. What's the point of having her ear cut off and then waiting two books later to finish her off? The prophecy means her death is basically inevitable, so why drag it out?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Maybe darkstars blade has some poison on it that takes a while to do its thing.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Habibi posted:

Which still barely scratches the surface on Ramsay. :)
You might say his love of violence is only

Skin Deep

OhYeah posted:

...we get hosed twice, first by the TV show and then by GRRM himself.

Would make a fine thread title

OhYeah posted:

Kit Harington trolling everyone that Jon is really dead is also quite droll, but I have a feeling that once the next season or the next book (lol) hits, we will wish he would've stayed dead.

Is he trollin' ? Maybe his body is hosed, and we have him stuck inside ghost or some poo poo.

Am I the only one tired of Vary's "The Most Fabulous" Spymaster and Tyrion "The Wit and Wisdom" Lannister? They sit around loving pontificating and condescending and acting clever, when they really have no right to. It might just be a tone of voice thing for me at this point - but it really gets under my skin.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Did anyone else notice Bronn literally being bitten by a sand snake or did the "bad pussy" line distract?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I don't know why you guys are so hung up on lack of diarhea. I saw plenty of poo poo this episode.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

kcroy posted:

Am I the only one tired of Vary's "The Most Fabulous" Spymaster and Tyrion "The Wit and Wisdom" Lannister? They sit around loving pontificating and condescending and acting clever, when they really have no right to. It might just be a tone of voice thing for me at this point - but it really gets under my skin.

It's because there's no sense of tension or danger at all. Book Tyrion is constantly making sarcastic comments and insults in his head but it doesn't seem smug because he's being beaten, dragged around in chains, enslaved for more than 3 seconds, and humiliated constantly by riding on a pig. He's also given in to his bitterness and self-hatred and become a near-suicidal rapist monster.

Meanwhile in the show there's never really a sense that Tyrion is hosed up in the head or actually in danger. He easily makes it to Dany and she lets him join her council almost immediately.

You sympathize more with a character for their struggles, not for how easily they win everything.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
GRRM was right, it needed 2 seasons. Slow paced is better poo poo paced.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

syscall girl posted:

Did anyone else notice Bronn literally being bitten by a sand snake or did the "bad pussy" line distract?

The bad pussy line is got to be one of the worst lines ever uttered in a TV show, right?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

FourLeaf posted:

Don't forget Hardhome. That was great.

Also I don't mind Myrcella dying, mostly because I always wondered why GRRM didn't just have her killed in AFFC. What's the point of having her ear cut off and then waiting two books later to finish her off? The prophecy means her death is basically inevitable, so why drag it out?

Myrcella being alive makes it feasible to send Nymeria Sand to sit on the Small Council, which helps set up Tommen's death.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stannis takes the black and becomes Lord Commander. Jon heads south with the wildlings and ends Ramsay. Seem about right to everyone now that we know Stannis loses at Winterfell?

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 16, 2015

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I know. I don't literally think D&D are rapists writing out their rape fantasies.

i do think this

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kcroy posted:

Is he trollin' ? Maybe his body is hosed, and we have him stuck inside ghost or some poo poo.

somewhere in the books it says if you stay too long warged you start to turn into the animal, so if john ever comes back he's going to be like a wolf. which would be really agonizing to read, so grrm will definitely do it

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syscall girl posted:

my entire memory's black for about 3 minutes after that

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A Major Fucker posted:

my entire memory's black for about 3 minutes after that

All I noticed was the bad pussy

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What is the bad pussy line? I missed it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Reading/listening to feast/dance again. Book 4 is even duller than you remember. Roy D narrating sex scenes steals the show.

The more I think about it the more it seems like R + L = J only works as storytelling if we learn Lyanna was a psycho. I think ADWD at least hints it's possible, and in Brandon Stark's case comes out and says it. The only PoV we have had on Lyanna has been that of Ned, who is both biased and grew up separately in the Eyrie.

Also LoL at anyone thinking Jon or Dany are capable enough to rule Westeros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

What is the bad pussy line? I missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxK92bDmrfA