Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

derra posted:

FF12 on PC please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

corn in the bible posted:

wheres saga, square, you CUNTS

They subtly promised us a Chrono Trigger sequel and then didn't deliver, the fuckers.

But yeah, the fact that the PC port of FF7 ClassicTM got delayed until this winter is not reassuring on their ability to deliver anything in a timely fashion.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

The Biggest Jerk posted:

The Great Aerith Aeris War of 2015, families and friendships torn apart

The real tragedy is renaming Algus in FFT to Argath.

I spent so many years hating that entitled douchebag Algus and now you tell me I have to hate Argath instead? :argh:

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I am not the biggest FFVII fan, but I have some friends who were dying for that remake. However, I think SE might have put on the most consistently impressive show at the convention, which is saying something because this E3 has been probably the best I can remember. I wonder what world of FF will be like.

I actually started playing FFXII on an emulator last week, its not even Warez, my PS2 just happened to break last year. I haven't played it since it came out and I was not so hot on it back then but hot drat am I enjoying it now. It might be my favorite FF game now, which sounds like a crazy thing to say. It emulates almost perfectly, and with AA enabled running at 1080p its super pretty already. (some nasty distant object meshes/sprites though) I am really digging the license board, so I am not sure how I would feel about the IZJS version. I like the freeedom its given me with this, some of the other changes (like rebalanced ninja swords) would have been nice though. I am undecided on the Mist charge VS MP segments thing.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Separate issue. They play the goofier music during goofy scenes, not while Cloud is trying to find Aerith right before she's killed or Barret is on the way to kill Dyne or Mako Reactors are being bombed or any of the other more serious parts of the story.

Whether those goofy scenes should exist or not is different debate. Personally I think it works because FF7 doesn't take itself so seriously the entire time, and they don't stress an absurd time limit on the party needing to accomplish their goals until Meteor is summoned IIRC. At that point, yeah, being able to chill out at the Gold Saucer doesn't make complete sense. In comparison, that segment of FF13 starts with Sazh and Vanille noticing the army is in the same area, state that they need to get away, then Vanille monologues about Sazh acting like she doesn't exist sometimes or something, and then we get a peppy song about rainbows in a bright jungle location as we engage in general gameplay that's disconnected from what sets this entire segment up.

And that tonal inconsistency can only really work (insofar as it does work) in a game with abstracted graphics and text-based dialog. Even if the remake doesn't get Nomura'd to all hell and manages to strike a consistent, yet non-pandering tone, it won't be able to have half the charm of the original. This isn't even a criticism of Square's writing and direction; it's the basic arithmetic of telling a story with highly representational assets.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

MrAptronym posted:

I am really digging the license board, so I am not sure how I would feel about the IZJS version.

IZJS is unquestionably better. Even ignoring the QoL improvements, like being able to break the damage cap and other fixes, choosing jobs at the start means that you won't end up with 6 of the same character by endgame. It all works really well, and should have been a part of the game from the start.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Flip Yr Wig posted:

And that tonal inconsistency can only really work (insofar as it does work) in a game with abstracted graphics and text-based dialog. Even if the remake doesn't get Nomura'd to all hell and manages to strike a consistent, yet non-pandering tone, it won't be able to have half the charm of the original. This isn't even a criticism of Square's writing and direction; it's the basic arithmetic of telling a story with highly representational assets.

"Abstraction" is a really good word to use. They got pretty creative with those PSX limitations...reminds me a lot of how silent films worked.

The quality of the remake really depends on how faithful of adaptation of FF7 Square will be going for. If they're just going for literally the same story told in a very similar way, I really doubt the remake will be worth more than a curiosity. But if they risk the ire of the fans and try something radical, then we could potentially get something unique and cool even if it ends up being totally different from the original game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flip Yr Wig posted:

On the other hand, it could lead to absolutely deadpan absurdity.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I'm a little confused here. Hasn't Square put out nothing but garbage for the last several years? What makes anyone think these announced sequels/remakes will be good?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

MY ABACUS! posted:

I'm a little confused here. Hasn't Square put out nothing but garbage for the last several years? What makes anyone think these announced sequels/remakes will be good?

The only real big mistakes they made were the development of FF13 and FF14 1.0.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FFXIV post-reboot and Lightning Returns are both good and really well-liked.

FF7 HD might be iffy but people have literally been asking about this for years. NieR 2 on the other hand is being developed by Platinum Games, whose pedigree you should already be aware of and whose worst games are still about as good as some other studios' better works.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MY ABACUS! posted:

Actually, they've put out a lot of good to great games lately

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And there are a lot of people who haven't realized that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

FFXIV post-reboot and Lightning Returns are both good and really well-liked.

They certainly managed to turn their lemons into lemonade.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

They subtly promised us a Chrono Trigger sequel and then didn't deliver, the fuckers.

Keep in mind this is the same company whose response to fans wanting to see another Chrono game was "Perhaps they should buy more!"

That response came after the original game had been ported to at least one or two other systems and sold a ton of copies, including its original version, and not including the sales from Cross.

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

squenix.gif

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Awesome Welles posted:

Keep in mind this is the same company whose response to fans wanting to see another Chrono game was "Perhaps they should buy more!"

That response came after the original game had been ported to at least one or two other systems and sold a ton of copies, including its original version, and not including the sales from Cross.

lol

Good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't want another Chrono game, sometimes it's cool to leave a good thing alone instead of milking it.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

Srice posted:

I don't want another Chrono game, sometimes it's cool to leave a good thing alone instead of milking it.

And, as you know, when a bad sequel is released, the original game ceases to exist.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Srice posted:

This is also valid, because getting together the Dream Team together again to make a single game would probably take some sort of magic spell

Cross would have been better if they (1) dropped the stupid loving accents in the text all the time (OI! CHA!) and (2) replaced the battle theme because holy gently caress that is the single most annoying track in JRPG history and you have to hear it over and over again

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

CeallaSo posted:

IZJS is unquestionably better. Even ignoring the QoL improvements, like being able to break the damage cap and other fixes, choosing jobs at the start means that you won't end up with 6 of the same character by endgame. It all works really well, and should have been a part of the game from the start.
Alright, I was kind of iffy because the way it was described as working sounded kind of hacky. I have nothing against class systems, and its not like I have been doing any weird hybrid thing one of the 12 wouldn't cover.

Motto posted:

squenix.gif

This makes me so happy.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Motto posted:

squenix.gif

Yoko Taro is the best.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

T.G. Xarbala posted:

developed by Platinum Games, whose pedigree you should already be aware of and whose worst games are still about as good as some other studios' better works.

they can still phone it in pretty well though.

Korra.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Dubious posted:

Korra.

That game also had an absurdly short development time if I recall. But yeah, that had the barest of platinum bones and no soul to it at all. Hopefully they will have their A game on here and some decent time/funds to make a full sized game. Its SE making a full priced game, so they certainly could.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MY ABACUS! posted:

And, as you know, when a bad sequel is released, the original game ceases to exist.

Not what I was saying at all! Just that sometimes something should exist to be cool instead of another delivery mechanism for a franchise, y'dig?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

MY ABACUS! posted:

I would say the two biggest problems last generation with Square-Enix's Japanese development team was that their technology/engine were insufficient for HD development and their development methodology did not scale well with large teams. Virtually no big budget Square-Enix title shipped without major technical issues. The FFXIII trilogy struggled against the technical constraints of the engine. The Last Remnant on 360 suffered from slowdown and long load times. FFXIV 1.0 was a technical mess that couldn't even run well on high-end computers. Likewise, their system of developing games was unsuitable for modern AAA games. Teams and creative talent that were known to make quality products broke down due to working on large scale projects. Toriyama/Kitase shipped underwhelming games. Nomura couldn't ship a game. Tanaka's disastrous MMORPG brought the company to its knees. Miscommunication and a lack of direction plagued all of their projects

Since, they've worked to address these problems. New talent such as Naoki Yoshida have fostered open communication with fans to address the company's issues. They have a lot of international talent on the team working on both design and technology, such as Wan Hazmer and Remi Driancourt. This is meant to help them keep up in international trends and advances in development practices. They reshuffled development teams with younger talent so the games can actually come out. They're using middleware such as Unreal Engine 4 and Unity to cut down on development time and the technical support they need to have. They're also outsourcing development to partners that have a good track records with the genres they're targeting.

Is it smooth sailing from now on? There are still significant problems such as the multitude of engines in use and the sheer manpower required to make AAA games. Other developers are shipping better received RPGs in shorter development cycles. If we see the same technical hurdles and poor project management affect the next slate of Japanese developed games, then there is a serious structural issue in the company that may not have a clear answer.

Dubious posted:

Korra.

High Moon Studios once talked about what it was like to work Activision's budget licensed games.

It was not a pleasant experience.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Raxivace posted:

"Abstraction" is a really good word to use. They got pretty creative with those PSX limitations...reminds me a lot of how silent films worked.

The quality of the remake really depends on how faithful of adaptation of FF7 Square will be going for. If they're just going for literally the same story told in a very similar way, I really doubt the remake will be worth more than a curiosity. But if they risk the ire of the fans and try something radical, then we could potentially get something unique and cool even if it ends up being totally different from the original game.
If its any less than a line by line recreation of the original scenario specs it will be a squandered opportunity. I want a blacksploitation transplant with a gun arm yelling at Cloud that the planet is dying. I want to have a squat off with a cross dressing gym trainer. I want Hojo having no idea what science actually entails and thinking "cat + girl = breeding program and you better bet I'm going to watch!" And then chilling on the beach with all the chicks. I want to go to a hippie cooperative why my cat buddy grew up where a weird grandpa on a flying orb invites me into his planetarium to lay down the science on how the planet is going to die. I want the cheesecake catfight between Tifa and that Shinra lady on a giant cannon.

If they haven't lost the original scenario specs, they are all pure gold and should be followed to the letter.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
SE will give Platinum and Taro time to make the game so it will be fantastic. Literally the only publisher that won't give them time is Activision and that's the Transformers game will be bad. SE has done a fantastic job with a lot of recent games and turned FFXIV from a disaster into one of the most beloved MMO games. There's room for doubt, but SE has done good in recent years and I like that I can be optimistic about them again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

zedprime posted:

If its any less than a line by line recreation of the original scenario specs it will be a squandered opportunity. I want a blacksploitation transplant with a gun arm yelling at Cloud that the planet is dying. I want to have a squat off with a cross dressing gym trainer. I want Hojo having no idea what science actually entails and thinking "cat + girl = breeding program and you better bet I'm going to watch!" And then chilling on the beach with all the chicks. I want to go to a hippie cooperative why my cat buddy grew up where a weird grandpa on a flying orb invites me into his planetarium to lay down the science on how the planet is going to die. I want the cheesecake catfight between Tifa and that Shinra lady on a giant cannon.

If they haven't lost the original scenario specs, they are all pure gold and should be followed to the letter.

The presentation of those will be way different though because they aren't made with a 90's mentality on 90's hardware. Games and game-making are very different now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Raxivace posted:

The presentation of those will be way different though because they aren't made with a 90's mentality on 90's hardware. Games and game-making are very different now.
If FF7 Remake doesn't subtly and indirectly get R Kelly or the Spice Girls or the Backstreet boys stuck in my head, it has failed.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Kung fury was neither made in the 80s or with 80s technology. Your logic is pretty flawed. Especially since the the goofy poo poo in ff7 is still done in games/movies/tv today.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nasgate posted:

Kung fury was neither made in the 80s or with 80s technology. Your logic is pretty flawed. Especially since the the goofy poo poo in ff7 is still done in games/movies/tv today.

Kung Fury doesn't resemble the kinds of movies actually made in the 1980's except on a very superficial level.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Raxivace posted:

Kung Fury doesn't resemble the kinds of movies actually made in the 1980's except on a very superficial level.

Kung Fury was also really terribly unfunny and bad, largely due to this

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

pretty soft girl posted:

Kung Fury was also really terribly unfunny and bad, largely due to this

That's pretty 80s though.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Kung Fury had like, maybe 1-2 funny bits. The rest of it was "lol that's so 80s amirite?!"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

Kung Fury had like, maybe 1-2 funny bits. The rest of it was "lol that's so 80s amirite?!"

It's very reminiscent of referential Family Guy style humor.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Raxivace posted:

It's very reminiscent of referential Family Guy style humor.

Even Family Guy is funny on occasion, because at least it has fart jokes. Kung Fury was more like a bad Robot Chicken sketch that went on for 30 minutes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Raxivace posted:

I've found that movies that deliberately try to be bad are by and large awful pieces of poo poo because they attempt to detach from it and be ironically bad, and the good ones are like Black Dynamite where they embraced the awfulness and loved it

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Nasgate posted:

That's pretty 80s though.

Negative

Cobra, the most 80s movie, is hilarious and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib