Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Merijn posted:

On the one hand it's sad that online MP is gone, but on the other hand... the DLC problem always made online MP with pubbies no fun at all. It was like playing GH3 online with 13yo teens who always pick Dragonforce.

Yeah, the DLC problem is more or less why I barely ever played online. I wish it functioned such that if at least one person in the lobby owns a DLC, it's available to everyone regardless of whether or not everyone owns it. I'm pretty sure there's some kind of logistical reason why that's not possible (probably the loving huge amount of hard drive space having a copy of every single song in the game on your HDD in some sort of "compatibility pack" as well as doubling up said space on songs you potentially already own) but it does seem like a more sensible way for a party game to work.

I can't imagine it to be much of a business thing because I've played a few games with this style of DLC sharing and none of them seem really much worse off for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I can't imagine it to be much of a business thing because I've played a few games with this style of DLC sharing and none of them seem really much worse off for it.

How many of those had licensed music from major record labels that are notoriously stingy about consumers sharing with others?

nonazis
Oct 13, 2014

The ants. They're everywhere, man. Big fuckers.
Has anyone here realized that if you took all the time you've spent playing rockband, and instead used it to learn a real instrument, you would probably be able to play an instrument by now?

(not trying to rip on the game, it is fun as poo poo, and way more fun than memorizing key places on a fretboard.)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

nonazis posted:

Has anyone here realized that if you took all the time you've spent playing rockband, and instead used it to learn a real instrument, you would probably be able to play an instrument by now?

No, I certainly didn't hear that five times a day in 2008.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

nonazis posted:

If I took all the time I've spent playing Rock Band I could probably play very basic guitar and be able to be that shithead in the corner of a party playing Wonderwall on an acoustic.

the video game is easier to learn than the real deal

Pirate Jet posted:

How many of those had licensed music from major record labels that are notoriously stingy about consumers sharing with others?

Didn't really think of that and that sounds like it could be a problem.

oh well music industry ruins more things no good online multiplayer for anyone

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

nonazis posted:

(not trying to rip on the game, it is fun as poo poo, and way more fun than memorizing key places on a fretboard.)

I mean, even if you and all of your friends can play instruments, it's way more complicated to go "okay guys, let's all get together Friday and play a bunch of covers of songs we all like for an audience of nobody," than to just play plastic instruments with your friends for a night.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Yeah, the DLC problem is more or less why I barely ever played online. I wish it functioned such that if at least one person in the lobby owns a DLC, it's available to everyone regardless of whether or not everyone owns it. I'm pretty sure there's some kind of logistical reason why that's not possible (probably the loving huge amount of hard drive space having a copy of every single song in the game on your HDD in some sort of "compatibility pack" as well as doubling up said space on songs you potentially already own) but it does seem like a more sensible way for a party game to work.

It could probably work if the DLC was only downloaded for that session, and you couldn't later play it in single player or something (effectively sharing/pirating DLC), but the sizes are probably a bit too big for it to work. Nobody wants to wait a few minutes in a lobby waiting for a song to download (and there's always the guy with a bad connection).

e: vvv oh I thought it was more in the range of 20-30 mb, but maybe it depends on the number of instruments a lot.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 17, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Merijn posted:

It could probably work if the DLC was only downloaded for that session, and you couldn't later play it in single player or something (effectively sharing/pirating DLC), but the sizes are probably a bit too big for it to work.

Rock Band DLC is something like ten megabytes per song.

The music industry really is that stingy. If you didn't personally pay your $1.29 per song, the RIAA doesn't even want you hearing it, not even once.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

nonazis posted:

Same, but Call of Duty and shooting ethnic people.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
ahh "play a real guitar" welcome to 2008 pt 2

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/16/8790071/guitar-hero-live-preview-guitar-hero-tv-e3-2015

This explains Monetization a lot better

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I mostly play vocals; if only I'd spent all that time that I spent playing vocals, actually singing.

EDIT: Is this snark, or is this a secret confession that I am actually a humming ninny like BillTVShow? It is a mystery!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

The only fake plastic instrument that teaches real-world playing is the drums. :smugbert:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Merijn posted:

The only fake plastic instrument that teaches real-world playing is the drums. :smugbert:

How about the keyboard?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Chairchucker posted:

How about the keyboard?

It's literally just guitar that doesn't help then.

I refuse to believe I cannot scratch a record, I played DJ Hero on medium!

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Chairchucker posted:

How about the keyboard?

The keyboard is not "fake" though, it just has a narrower range and nothing more than keys to press, but it's still a MIDI device you can play music with.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Well, that's... uh... blunt.

It's crazy to me because I still find plenty of people playing RB3 online at basically all times of the day. It can't be that small. Are they only going by that survey data? I spent thousands on RB and they've managed to completely turn me off of buying RB4. Their PR has been horrendous.

Edit: I and the others I hang around with online have become the No Mutants Allowed of RB now and that's super depressing.

Dr Zaius fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 17, 2015

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
RE: no online

Since they've announced that they made most of these decisions based on statistical analysis. I wonder if they took the time to cross reference the % of players who bought significant portions of DLC regularly to those who also played online / used 3rd party instruments.
It seems like they're trying to cater to the mass market again hoping that the masses will either buy the game + dongles or purchase the expensive bundles with maybe an occasional DLC purchase for added revenue.

Some good PR around this + making it public knowledge after announcing preorders would be nice.
Either way, why aren't they catering to the whales!?

EDIT:
I've spent most of my RB time playing online purchasing DLC with my group of friends who also bought the same DLC.
One way to help address the pubbie problem of people not having dlc would be to expose statistical data of the DLC ownership to users. Have another area to show that "HEY X% of people who play online own this song, maybe you should check it out?". It would serve as a way to expose lesser known songs that end up being really fun to play in a band scenario that weren't available at the time for the curated list of songs that come on the disc.

Also for people who complain that it feels like you're playing alone, you must not have been taking advantage of timing your overdrive to your band mates or chatting with your bandmates to figure out the next setlist of fun songs to play. :colbert:

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 17, 2015

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Dr Zaius posted:

It's crazy to me because I still find plenty of people playing RB3 online at basically all times of the day. It can't be that small. Are they only going by that survey data? I spent thousands on RB and they've managed to completely turn me off of buying RB4. Their PR has been horrendous.

Edit: I and the others I hang around with online have become the No Mutants Allowed of RB now and that's super depressing.

Yeah, I feel the same, I spent a ton of time and money on DLC (not to your extent, but certainly in the four-figure range on DLC over the years) and apparently that's a marketshare they feel comfortable ignoring. If the message was more along the lines of "the online MP community is passionate and we aim to provide them their mode as soon as the developer time becomes available after launch" then sure OK I'm on board with Harmonix prioritizing the core stuff first. Quotes about the population density of the universe and whatnot are so bizarre, like they're almost trying to discourage newer players from wanting it as a feature at all.

Without online MP I would have downloaded a far smaller amount of DLC packs I know that for sure, so they're just hurting their own wallet long-term imo.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Chairchucker posted:

I think the original quote uses neither of those, but instead uses mean.

And they're all zero.

:doh: can't believe I got mean and mode mixed up.

edit, it hasn't been that long since stats...

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 17, 2015

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Gaspar Lewis posted:

quote:

Matt Nordhaus? posted:
All I'm going to say is that we're making our decision based on data, the best data we have, and the best data we can get. Is it good enough and does it represent our demographic? That's a question every developer asks every time they release a game. We hope so. Certainly we have some very smart, experienced people thinking about it.

And I just can't help but respond to this specific comment with some data. The percentage of players who played MP. Not a majority. Not a significant minority. You know that joke about how the universe is so big that on average the population is 0?

Yeah. That.

First HDR bloom on the note track and now the ol' " all bad parts are the player's fault" PR strategy. Harmonix is hitting the ground running when it comes to penetrating the next console generation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nonazis posted:

I do play real guitar. I play rockband so I can go wild on the drums, since I'm not very good at drums. Its very fun and satisfying. Also unlike guitar, I'm probably slowly learning some of the basics of drumming.

That said, if you want to learn real guitar, not only could you say "don't play rockband, play guitar instead and learn for real" but you could go the in-between route and play Rocksmith. Its actually really good, I already know ho to play guitar and I still play rocksmith just because its fun to jam out, but its clearly made for and marketed at new players.

Seriously give rocksmith a try, although you'll need a real guitar, not a plastic one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3587654

Xad posted:

I mean, even if you and all of your friends can play instruments, it's way more complicated to go "okay guys, let's all get together Friday and play a bunch of covers of songs we all like for an audience of nobody," than to just play plastic instruments with your friends for a night.

This is definitely the case.

Also most of my IRL friends are losers who can't play poo poo. I have lots of musician friends online but only know a few people who play IRL and its rare that we can get all our equipment together to jam, and even then we have to work out what songs we all know or at least some chord changes.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Orange Harrison posted:

First HDR bloom on the note track and now the ol' " all bad parts are the player's fault" PR strategy. Harmonix is hitting the ground running when it comes to penetrating the next console generation.
[/quote]

Also did I miss something or is the Xbone actually going up in price? The message I got from E3 was that from now on they were going to sell the console with a new controller, 1 TB drive, and Halo collection for $399. I don't care about more stuff, I want a lower entry fee.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What are the chances of them selling drums on their own again? I really don't want to buy that full band bundle for new drums.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

ElwoodCuse posted:

Also did I miss something or is the Xbone actually going up in price? The message I got from E3 was that from now on they were going to sell the console with a new controller, 1 TB drive, and Halo collection for $399. I don't care about more stuff, I want a lower entry fee.

Perhaps, their new Elite Epic Gamerz Warriorz controller is like $150, but I don't know if they'd package that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I cannot wait for the Music Game Wars of 2008-2011 to begin again.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I just put it together -- John Drake really did handle the lion's share of Harmonix PR. He was always there to get in front of leaks, and generally be a stable, familiar mouthpiece. Even when it wasn't him, he had such a good grip on everything that I'm sure he pulled lots of strings in the background.

We don't need a single PR god like John Drake, but a little more effort to communicate publicly with the dedicated playerbase and generally present a unified PR front would go a long way.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

sout posted:

Perhaps, their new Elite Epic Gamerz Warriorz controller is like $150, but I don't know if they'd package that.

The basic controller is being slightly remade too isn't it? I thought the $150 monstrosity thing was just for the hardcore COD crowd.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Eric Pope sure as hell isn't John Drake, but no one is.

He's certainly missed, I loved every time they all showed up to a Giant Bomb stream.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

It seems like the best of all options.

-Full access to the entire library for free with MTV style video rotation.
-Pay for DLC per song to play whenever
-Buy an all access pass for group play with a time limit.

The only thing I'm not to keen on is how everything is cloud based. I don't like spending money on DLC that will one day go away when the servers go poof.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Astro7x posted:

The only thing I'm not to keen on is how everything is cloud based. I don't like spending money on DLC that will one day go away when the servers go poof.

Well, all your current Rock Band content is DRMed to hell and back, so you "own" it exactly as long as your Xbox or PS3 keeps functioning after their servers go offline.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Was at the big Preview party last night at the Mayan.

The group of 3 right in front of me got a chance to play for the Game and the Guitar controller, but it turns out they had a vocalist.

So they took a bassist from the line...and he slaughtered it, getting 92% on expert and winning. Awesome. I think every time that there was a chance to win from the stage, it went to the 4th random contestant who was kinda-sorta in line.

The swag was awesome (posters, sweatbands, baseball tees), the audio was a bit laggy (because of the theater effect, the vocals were 1.3 seconds fast), but it was awesome rocking for a few hundred people.

More fun than the PC Gamer party next door I imagine...

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
So I had 300 or songs (DLC + RB2 songs, I guess) imported into RB3. I had this all on an external hard drive I had to repurpose yesterday. Now I can use it again, but I don't have any of my songs backed up. Is there a way to tell RB3 to redownload all of the songs I have a license for, or am I stuck going through the list and finding them, one by one, out of 4,000 songs?

Edit - Previous method was going to "Get More Songs" in RB3, finding the ones that said, "In Library," and redownloading them from there.

I went back to dashboard, found Rock Band 3, went to add-ons, and I see like 6,000 songs. The ones I've previously downloaded have checkmarks, so I'm redownloading those. That's my current method unless somebody can point out something more efficient.

kalamaf
Mar 1, 2007

Kameh posted:

So I had 300 or songs (DLC + RB2 songs, I guess) imported into RB3. I had this all on an external hard drive I had to repurpose yesterday. Now I can use it again, but I don't have any of my songs backed up. Is there a way to tell RB3 to redownload all of the songs I have a license for, or am I stuck going through the list and finding them, one by one, out of 4,000 songs?

Edit - Previous method was going to "Get More Songs" in RB3, finding the ones that said, "In Library," and redownloading them from there.

I went back to dashboard, found Rock Band 3, went to add-ons, and I see like 6,000 songs. The ones I've previously downloaded have checkmarks, so I'm redownloading those. That's my current method unless somebody can point out something more efficient.

If you go into your account settings there's a history of your previous purchases and you can re-download them from there without having to sift through the whole 6000. (on Xbox, I assume PS3 has a similar area?)

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
11:18 for Pantera

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

kalamaf posted:

If you go into your account settings there's a history of your previous purchases and you can re-download them from there without having to sift through the whole 6000. (on Xbox, I assume PS3 has a similar area?)

There's no way to filter that by Rock Band, so if you have a ton of downloads and DLC, it A. chugs loading the Download History pretty hard and B. would have you wading through just as much.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just waiting for Rock Band 4 to be full of meme-rock. It's happening to Amplitude and that seems to be the way Harmonix PR is going now a days, the Hot Topic "i'm so wacky and crazy XD" method. I don't like it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah, QOTSA and Elvis are about as memey as it gets.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Who's brilliant loving idea was it to have the note you're holding show up ingame to block what you're seeing?

Why do both games have terrible note highways now? Guitar Hero has this weird hologram thing in the middle of the screen, no idea why they think they need that and like I said, it blocks what notes you can see and that's horrible, and Rock Band 4's looks super bad, like I didn't bring it up when it was called Pre-Alpha Footage, but as time goes on and we see more songs but no redesigned UI it keeps looking worse and worse. Considering that 99% of the gameplay is spent staring at the notes coming at you, you'd think they'd make more than a token effort to make them look good.

Gems Don't Explode When You Hit The Right Note And That's Bullshit

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Who's brilliant loving idea was it to have the note you're holding show up ingame to block what you're seeing?

I'm not too fond of the overlay thing either, hopefully they fine tune it a bit more. When I'm in the mix and playing the game I probably will barely register it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Has anyone considered that Guitar Hero Live requiring an all-new guitar (not to mention a totally revamped 6-note system) might seriously hamper their sales? A lot of people in this thread (me included) were saying we probably won't get RB4 if we need to buy new instruments. Couldn't the same argument be made for GH? Hopefully this means RB4 will give GH:Live a serious run for its money.