Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
The stream of knives is pretty marginal, but just the knife itself is almost always much more damage than brimstone unless you also have guppy, since brim spawns flies and knife doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Vakal posted:

Knife + Brim is awesome if you can pick up Spoon Bender with it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ariong posted:

As I recall it increases the likelihood of champion enemies and makes it possible for bosses to be champions as well. Champion bosses have abilities tied to their color like champion enemies, but those abilities are unique. For example, Red Champion Monstro takes the form of two monstros each with slightly less health than one of the original. I don't think champion bosses always deal 1 full heart of damage like champion enemies.

It also increases the likelihood of curses I'm pretty sure.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Update!

Buttons that do stuff!

Turbo mode challenge!

gently caress your poo poo!

And the Tumblr tag "pay me for the door repair" which makes me assume something I'm going to hate.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nighthand posted:

Finally managed the infinite reroll with sharp plug, wager, epic fetus and pyromaniac. Got the monster manual in the chest, rerolled for half an hour, and got the little assholes. Now all I need is Godhead, which I must have missed on a floor I didn't get a god room or something, because I rerolled everything into breakfast and didn't see it.

When you see enough special items, it starts rerolling them into something else. You can still get special items though, if you're patient and willing to reroll until you hit that 1% chance or whatever.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

IMJack posted:

Update!

Buttons that do stuff!

Turbo mode challenge!

And the Tumblr tag "pay me for the door repair" which makes me assume something I'm going to hate.

None of this looks remotely fun in the slightest. I hope Afterbirth is better than I expect, but man.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Turbo looks crappy. Maybe as a random chance per room with broken stopwatch, but all hard runs running like that would not be a fun time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The buttons are from the god mode mod! Neat!

edit: Turbo mode doesn't sound like it'll be fun outside of the challenge though. Certain things like Mom's Heart/It Lives' 360 bullet spin thing would basically require face tanking just because the double speed would speed the bullets up so much.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Oberleutnant posted:

Turbo looks crappy. Maybe as a random chance per room with broken stopwatch, but all hard runs running like that would not be a fun time.

it's a challenge, not a curse (thank GOD)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

it's a challenge, not a curse (thank GOD)

Look closer.

quote:

i really love this mode’s extra challenge, so much so im debating on adding turbo to hard mode.. maybe a bit slower than the challenge but its a very fun and difficult change of pace i think people might really enjoy.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

CJacobs posted:

Look closer.

this is so upsetting even as a possibility. I don't want multiple unlocks hidden behind turbo lil haunts and turbo wizoobs :(
picture those horrible quad size rooms full of round worms and nightcrawlers except they pop in and out even quicker due to turbo loving kill me

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Imagine trying to dodge Turbo Fistula on Cellar 1 with base damage. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I do like the button idea for spawning enemies or consumables, though. It'd a fun little option that's entirely within your power to take or leave.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

CJacobs posted:

The buttons are from the god mode mod! Neat!

Nope, these were always in the game, they just were never used!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Skunkrocker posted:

Nope, these were always in the game, they just were never used!

What!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

IMJack posted:

Update!

Buttons that do stuff!

Turbo mode challenge!

There's also a hidden link to this picture:

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
Unpopular opinion and maybe I'll change my tune once this is out, but I'm fine with all of these additions. :shrug:

Turbo mode looks neat. Buttons look neat.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Vic Boss posted:

Unpopular opinion and maybe I'll change my tune once this is out, but I'm fine with all of these additions. :shrug:

Turbo mode looks neat. Buttons look neat.

:agreed:

Of course, I'm the guy who likes about 90% of the Eternal Edition content. Not Eternal Super Greed though, he is just awful.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

You need Mom's Bra to go with that.

ZA WARUDO, STOP TIME

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I've done two back-to-back Isaac runs where the game went to credits after beating Satan instead of advancing to the Chest / Dark Room. Any idea what might be causing this?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Well, first the obvious question. Did you have the the right picture for the respective floor?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Ariong posted:

Well, first the obvious question. Did you have the the right picture for the respective floor?

Oh, derp. So it has to be Polaroid -> Cathedral -> Chest or Negative -> Sheol -> Dark Room? I never even knew that, I think I've just done it right more or less by accident before. Well that's me told.

On the plus side, I got to experience Tech 2 + Spoon Bender and it's downright fun to swing a homing laser whip around.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The 'dark room' is where you go to develop a 'negative', you see?

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's also a hidden link to this picture:

Awesome, I can't wait to play the Binding of Samuel L. Jackson

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
That's an MC patch.

New Horseman, maybe?

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Skunkrocker posted:

That's an MC patch.

New Horseman, maybe?

What, is Death not enough of a pain in the rear end to get?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Nighthand posted:

Finally managed the infinite reroll with sharp plug, wager, epic fetus and pyromaniac. Got the monster manual in the chest, rerolled for half an hour, and got the little assholes. Now all I need is Godhead, which I must have missed on a floor I didn't get a god room or something, because I rerolled everything into breakfast and didn't see it.

Vic Boss posted:

Sometimes it's just not in any item pool in a given run.

Have fun!

Actually iirc this isn't exactly true, Godhead doesn't work like Fate. Its something to do with the fuckery with special items, but you can keep rerolling past Breakfasts in the God room and can still get God Room items if you haven't seen them before. Its just a huge pain in the rear end and takes forever as the chances that you'll keep getting breakfast instead of godhead are high.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

The 'dark room' is where you go to develop a 'negative', you see?

Sure, I just never quite caught that you also have to go through Sheol – I thought it only affected where you go after either Cathedral or Sheol.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hyphen-ated posted:

The stream of knives is pretty marginal, but just the knife itself is almost always much more damage than brimstone unless you also have guppy, since brim spawns flies and knife doesn't.

Tammy's Head+Brimstone is arguably the strongest combo in the game. In a vacuum though, yeah you'll do more damage with the Knife by itself compared to Brimstone by itself. It's not as safe and doesn't have the useful synergies or Brimstone though. The Brimstone+Mom's Knife combo is cool but I think Brimstone alone has way more potential than that or Mom's Knife in general.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I had a nice run where I started with PhD, bought a Pill Bottle early, and got a Latch Key and enough Luck Up pills to fill up the luck bar on the stat screen.

I guess if your luck is high, killed monsters have a chance to drop a half-heart. I thought it was the Lucky Scab specifically that did this, but I didn't find that this run.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Sure, I just never quite caught that you also have to go through Sheol – I thought it only affected where you go after either Cathedral or Sheol.

It does only affect where you go after either Cathedral or Sheol.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Logan 5 posted:

Actually iirc this isn't exactly true, Godhead doesn't work like Fate. Its something to do with the fuckery with special items, but you can keep rerolling past Breakfasts in the God room and can still get God Room items if you haven't seen them before. Its just a huge pain in the rear end and takes forever as the chances that you'll keep getting breakfast instead of godhead are high.

Got a wafer and sharp plug on an Isaac run and rerolled into it after about eight attempts.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Vic Boss posted:

It does only affect where you go after either Cathedral or Sheol.

So why did I only get the ending chest after killing Satan, twice in a row as well?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
If you've picked up the negative and you touch the Sheol chest you should go to the Dark Room. I don't think I've ever had it bug out and just end.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Jibo posted:

If you've picked up the negative and you touch the Sheol chest you should go to the Dark Room. I don't think I've ever had it bug out and just end.

I had the Polaroid. That's what I'm asking – does the Polaroid only take you to the Chest through Cathedral, and does the Negative only take you to the Dark Room through Sheol?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I had the Polaroid. That's what I'm asking – does the Polaroid only take you to the Chest through Cathedral, and does the Negative only take you to the Dark Room through Sheol?

Yes. The polaroid will let you go Cathedral > Chest > End or Sheol > End. the negative will let you go Cathedral > End or Sheol > Dark Room > End. There is no way to get to the Chest from Sheol or to the Dark Room from the Cathedral.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I think Ed said he's changing that in the expansion too, which will be good because then I will never have to pick up the negative again.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess there's no easy way to get specific items, right? All I'm missing for the platinum trophy on vita are like 7 items on the collection page. (1up, Samson's Chains, Soy Milk, Steven, Godhead, Guardian Angel and Missing No.) I have them all unlocked, I just haven't picked them up yet. I know there's the whole pyromaniac/sharp plug/explosions thing but setting that up the first time to get Super Meat Boy/Bandage Girl was already kind of a nightmare

Is my best bet to just keep playing through as Isaac and reroll everything? I did that for a couple of hours without any progress so I'm kinda at a loss

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Yes, this is the case. However, according to Platinum God, having the Mysterious Paper trinket gives you a small chance of going to the Chest/Dark Room if you don't have the Polaroid/Negative respectively, so it may be entirely possible to get to the Dark Room with the Polaroid if you also have the trinket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess there's no easy way to get specific items, right? All I'm missing for the platinum trophy on vita are like 7 items on the collection page. (1up, Samson's Chains, Soy Milk, Steven, Godhead, Guardian Angel and Missing No.) I have them all unlocked, I just haven't picked them up yet. I know there's the whole pyromaniac/sharp plug/explosions thing but setting that up the first time to get Super Meat Boy/Bandage Girl was already kind of a nightmare

Is my best bet to just keep playing through as Isaac and reroll everything? I did that for a couple of hours without any progress so I'm kinda at a loss

There are a few tricks you can do. Rerollling an item in a Devil, Angel, or Secret room will generate an item from that room's pool. This even applies to items that weren't originally generated there, meaning that you can use a tarot card to generate a beggar or blood donation machine in said room, use it to get an item, and then reroll it into something from that pool. The 1up and Missingno. are in the Secret room item pool; Godhead and the Guardian Angel are in the Angel room pool. Don't forget to blow up the angel statue and get a key piece first so you can reroll that too.