Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ayn rand hand job posted:

It was Summer '99, Russo, so Bischoff was still technically the head, but it was probably Sullivan with the book.

Might be a good question for Dave.

Flair beat Savage by outside interference at Starrcade for the title, and Hogan and The Giant had been feuding since Fall Brawl and it was the payoff to that build. Having a double main event for cage matches for contentious feuds doesn't really strike me as building with gimmicks only, and no feud.

Uncensored had actual feuds going into the matches IIRC.

Battlebowl was pretty bad and I'll give you that.

So? I didn't say he decided there would be no feuds, he decided feuds didn't draw and that they needed major gimmicks on each show. They focused heavily on blood early in the year, an insane stupid gimmick for Uncensored and another stupid gimmick for Slamboree. If you watch the TV and read the Observers from the time it's no secret what is going on, and anything in the Observer about WCW from that period would come directly from Bischoff or Bresloff.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Was Bischoff around for that Monster Truck on a building match?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Then he can gently caress off with that nonsense.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hey now, the Monster Truck on a building match had a build!

Hulk Hogan had a segment where he showed up around common people riding his motorcycle that he loved so much he gave it a name.

The Giant showed up on a Monster Truck and ran over Hogan's bike.

Hogan declared he was going to make a better Monster Truck than The Giant's.

That's pretty much Match Build 101!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

as much as the monster truck thing was absolutely stupid, it wasn't the same level of stupid as "hey you idiots like to hit each other with poo poo so go out to this junkyard and kill each other"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

So? I didn't say he decided there would be no feuds, he decided feuds didn't draw and that they needed major gimmicks on each show.

Eh, I was considering his tweet in relation to his booking and TNA booking in setting up the KOTM match. Bischoff at least gave a semblance of feuds in early '96 until Battlebowl.

The timing of your initial comment struck me as odd, since by mid-96 the nWo had started and in the fall Bischoff started working on what arguably became the company's biggest money making feud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Eh, I was considering his tweet in relation to his booking and TNA booking in setting up the KOTM match. Bischoff at least gave a semblance of feuds in early '96 until Battlebowl.

The timing of your initial comment struck me as odd, since by mid-96 the nWo had started and in the fall Bischoff started working on what arguably became the company's biggest money making feud.

The great thing about Eric Bischoff is that he changed his mind all the time with one exception, Hulk Hogan is great.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
If WWE did a monster truck match or a Junk Yard Invitational at a show like Battleground, I would be 100% more interested in watching.

But I guess another R-Truth vs King Barrett match will have to suffice.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Words cannot describe how sad I was that Cena didn't come out in a Red, White, and Blue Monster Truck and run over Rusev's tank at Mania.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Great White Hope posted:

Words cannot describe how sad I was that Cena didn't come out in a Red, White, and Blue Monster Truck and run over Rusev's tank at Mania.

This, but only because the axle would break on the truck as it tried to mount the impervious tank.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

coconono posted:

as much as the monster truck thing was absolutely stupid, it wasn't the same level of stupid as "hey you idiots like to hit each other with poo poo so go out to this junkyard and kill each other"
Yeah, I think there's a world of difference between something that's stupid, and something that's even worse for business by being dangerous as well. The Brawl for All, having entire matches backstage...when was the last time anyone was stupid enough to book a scaffold match?

poo poo. I bet it was TNA. It was TNA, wasn't it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, I think there's a world of difference between something that's stupid, and something that's even worse for business by being dangerous as well. The Brawl for All, having entire matches backstage...when was the last time anyone was stupid enough to book a scaffold match?

You guessed it! 2008. Rhyno vs. James Storm

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

excuse me that was an ELEVATION X match

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Did that at least end in a Gore off of the scaffold? If you're going to go dumb, you might as well go full dumb.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Did that at least end in a Gore off of the scaffold? If you're going to go dumb, you might as well go full dumb.

I think he got gored on the scaffold, and then rolled off

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Halloween Jack posted:

speaking of scaffold matches, I wanna find out who booked the GAB 91 scaffold match with PN News and hug them. That was an absolute turd.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

You guessed it! 2008. Rhyno vs. James Storm

I wonder how happy Jim Cornette was with them booking that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I wanna know who the hell thought "two guys work a match with like 3 feet of space so nobody can do actual wrestling moves, then someone falls to his death" was an actual good idea for a gimmick match.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Benne posted:

I wanna know who the hell thought "two guys work a match with like 3 feet of space so nobody can do actual wrestling moves, then someone falls to his death" was an actual good idea for a gimmick match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZiTbU5JTUk

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Benne posted:

Wasn't Sting in a shark cage match with someone at one point

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Benne posted:

Jim Cornette knows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK_XnHYXzaE

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wasn't Sting in a shark cage match with someone at one point

That was Jay Strongbow and some geek in the 70s or thereabouts.

Is every "lolbooking" story going to gradually be remembered as a WCW thing? I can't wait for all the LOLWCW posts about the ridiculous Raw Bowl on Nitro, or the time Abyss won the NWA/WCW title by DQ.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Here is the safest scaffold match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nHJHJQGjo0

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Agreed anything involving New Jack is safe.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Maybe you just can't handle New "I knew when to go home because the coke would start wearing off" Jack.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I watched the Doomsday Cage match out of morbid curiosity, and yeah, it's as bad as you've heard.

What was the actual endgame with that match? Did any of the wrestlers even know the rules? At the start it plays out kinda like an elimination match, with Hogan and Savage having to beat the guys on each level and escape the cage to win. But then they escape the cage and the match still goes on, even going to the regular ring to have a regular match.

Then they go back into the cage and gently caress around some more, getting loving frying pans as weapons, and then Savage randomly pins Flair to win. It's the most :psypop: thing I have ever seen.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hogan legit forgot the match ended by pinfall and Savage had to go cover for him. There's a whole episode of Sullivan's podcast dedicated to the Doomsday Cage match and why it was so hosed up. Two words, both begin with C and it's something Hogan had!

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 17, 2015

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Wasn't Sullivan the lead booker during that period? And if so, why did nobody stop him when he was booking this match?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Benne posted:

Wasn't Sullivan the lead booker during that period? And if so, why did nobody stop him when he was booking this match?

his bad booking kept hogan happy and that was all that mattered

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hogan must've had poo poo creative control, because that match made him look like a total goober and he didn't even get the pinfall.

I mean, the heels looked like even bigger goobers but nobody came out of that looking good.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Benne posted:

It was booked entirely to keep Hogan happy, in theory so he'd trust him better when trying to push Hogan into doing things he didn't think were gonna work, brother.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sullivan booking Hogan makes John Cena look like an underdog. Superbrawl VI was probably the highlight in that it ends with the entire Dungeon of Doom cowering in fear and refusing to get in the cage with Hogan, including the new guy who debuted that very segment.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
And to think that two years later Hogan would be cowering in fear of Karl Malone

EDIT: And yeah the DoD as a stable and angle was all about making Hogan feel comfortable by having him triumph against wacky cartoonish villains played by guys he'd worked with before (ultimately up to and including Tiny "Zeus" Lister as the Z-Gangsta). And also the Ultimate Solution, who was a buddy of Hogan's.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Was the DoD ever actually over as a real threat? I thought that even in the early 90s people were tired of Hogan as a cartoonish megaface, and had checked out of his angles because they knew how it would end. I can't imagine how his feud with the DoD went as long as it did.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
DoD were technically around until mid 97, but they stopped being relevant a bit before the nWo formed, I think.

But the extended Dungeon of Doom vs Hulk Hogan feud lasted as long as it did because the Master was constantly bringing in new guys to job to Hogan (since Hogan was never going to lose to any of them except by Yetay rape)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

Was the DoD ever actually over as a real threat? I thought that even in the early 90s people were tired of Hogan as a cartoonish megaface, and had checked out of his angles because they knew how it would end. I can't imagine how his feud with the DoD went as long as it did.
Only with the Giant iirc.

I mean the DoD/Hogan feud was something that ran from '94 to '96 in various spurts stemming from Kevin Sullivan's hatred of Hogan.

When it was actually the DoD, Hogan feuded with them over the summer in '95 which led to the Giant debuting after War Games. Hogan feuded with Giant pretty much until Super Brawl the next year.

And even after they finished with Hogan, the DoD managed to last for a full year after the nWo formed.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hogan legit forgot the match ended by pinfall and Savage had to go cover for him. There's a whole episode of Sullivan's podcast dedicated to the Doomsday Cage match and why it was so hosed up. Two words, both begin with C and it's something Hogan had!

Cocaine and cockiness?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Luigi Thirty posted:

It was booked entirely to keep Hogan happy, in theory so he'd trust him better when trying to push Hogan into doing things he didn't think were gonna work, brother.

Didn't Hogan really, really want Brian Pillman to eat the pin in that one becuase he was pissed that Pillman was getting over with his early loose cannon gimmick? And then Brian scheduled himself for surgery that weekend?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Didn't Hogan really, really want Brian Pillman to eat the pin in that one becuase he was pissed that Pillman was getting over with his early loose cannon gimmick? And then Brian scheduled himself for surgery that weekend?

I love that this wouldn't have mattered anyway because they forgot the rules at the end so macho runs back into the cage to pin the first person he sees, someone he already pinned earlier in the match

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Yes, Hogan saw Pillman as a "threat" and desperately wanted to pin him. Brian claimed he needed throat surgery and disappeared for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Alain Post posted:

Pillman wasn't booked in the match, but supposedly Hogan tried to get him in it.