Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

What am I supposed to do when I'm up against an enemy country that has some crazy god-general? I started a game as Poland and got a (0/0/1/0) piece of poo poo out of my first general, while Hungary got a (4/4/4/1) monstrosity.

Hungary starts with Janos/John Hunyadi, who is usually the regent of Hungary as well as a general, and is such hot poo poo that he's mentioned in the 1444 start blurb. My advice is to play very defensively and to always outnumber whatever stack he leads, since the starting Eastern infantry units are kind of garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

What am I supposed to do when I'm up against an enemy country that has some crazy god-general? I started a game as Poland and got a (0/0/1/0) piece of poo poo out of my first general, while Hungary got a (4/4/4/1) monstrosity.

Throw wave after wave of Lithuanians at them until they reach their preset kill limit and shut down.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

thatdarnedbob posted:

Since reading through events files is something I like to do: you can find multiple legendary sites. How it works is that a conquistador will have a chance to start off any particular search when he's going through empty provinces; he needs to be in the appropriate region to start looking for each of the legends, and you can't already be searching for one. Once you start one of these you can get flavor events related to the search in the same way. Each chain has three different possible results: a bad end which will hit you for some prestige, a good end which is decent, and an ultimate end which is probably worth roughly half an idea. You can only start each search once, and each ultimate end you get reduces the number of 'lottery balls' all the other cities have by half when their check to start a search comes up.

Getting one of the flavor events unlocks the potential for all three of the endings, while letting at least one year pass since starting the search only unlocks the two better endings. Interestingly, for these flavor events, "Explorer Dies" can only activate once every other search (since it ends the search), most can activate just once each search, but accidentally eating Long Pig can theoretically happen as often as it has a chance to, because unlike the others which check the flag they set in their trigger, "Long Pig" checks the flag set by "Spirited Away" instead. This might be a bug?
You forgot the fourth end to the search chains, running out of unexplored provinces and nothing happens.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Is it just me, or is Power Projection hosed in this patch? I don't know what exactly changed, but despite winning wars against rivals rather frequently in the early game, I never saw PP get past the mid-30s and I'd only ever get that high after eclipsing a rival in a major war. I feel like the way I'm playing would have gotten me in the 50s range quite frequently in the previous patch and at the very least keep me comfortably over 25.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Pakled posted:

Is it just me, or is Power Projection hosed in this patch? I don't know what exactly changed, but despite winning wars against rivals rather frequently in the early game, I never saw PP get past the mid-30s and I'd only ever get that high after eclipsing a rival in a major war. I feel like the way I'm playing would have gotten me in the 50s range quite frequently in the previous patch and at the very least keep me comfortably over 25.

I've found it easy to keep it high early on because you can humiliate and take provinces now, but once I reach the point where my only possible rivals are on the other side of the continent it gets hard to keep it above 25.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Can someone explain to me the mechanics of Poland's successions? I always seem to have an heir I can back, but he always has a weak claim for some reason. Can I improve it? Also, whenever the heir isn't "mine", I have a big yellow flag on my status bar saying I might fall under some other country's influence on succession, but so far successions don't seem to have done anything different than usual. What's up with that?

Also, does anyone have an issue where morale bars are really hard to see on armies that are in battle? If you look closely at this screenshot you can see the morale bars on the fighting armies seem to be a few pixels below where they should be, and that makes them really hard to make out. Does anyone know if this can be fixed?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Getting the +1 comet event when you're already at +3 stab only to get the real -1 comet event two months later should be some kind of achievement.

e: Speaking of, knocked White Elephant out tonight :toot:

(~1580)

Had a brief moment of panic when it looked like Ming was going to get involved, but they ended up imploding shortly after and left me a nice easy Dali to steal/vassalize. Pagarruyung was about a year off being diplo-annexed and was just used to mop Pasai and Siak up and stop them from causing any trouble. Pretty fun achievement overall, with the early game being the most interesting/fun since you almost instantly fall back in tech while trying to soak up land and break apart alliances while setting up your own vassals. Going to try to get Bengal Tiger next, the Indian nations looked like they were getting into some goofy shenanigans while I was doing my thing to their right.

VDay fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 18, 2015

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Trujillo posted:

Did the Europeans actually give you any trouble though? I never had to fight a European when I got that achievement.

No, they all felt threatened by me except for France. Ming were the biggest threat I faced as they were leading the world in military tech until 23. I was still 21 then but I got to 26 by the time they got to 24. I had a huge number of forts all in the corner near ming after they tore me apart in the 1600s with 150k men. In the past the Europeans used to cause some hassle but they seem to be too slow getting to India now.

Portugal got Goa through an event which was a bit annoying to take back.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

So a friend sent me this screenshot of their game. They're in a war, as primary participant, with the PLC as their ally, but Hungary is is able to call them to war against the PLC. Is this a bug, or what? I haven;t been playing a lot lately and I can't remember if this is regular bullshit or something new. Shouldn't it be impossible for Hungary to call Sweden to war?

Edit: He just told be he declined, and took no prestige hit and Hungary didn't get any dishonored alliance malus. If this is a bug, this kind of thing can cause people to make uninformed decisions that could end their hard fought games.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 18, 2015

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Is the only way to revoke electors now post league?

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

So a friend sent me this screenshot of their game. They're in a war, as primary participant, with the PLC as their ally, but Hungary is is able to call them to war against the PLC. Is this a bug, or what? I haven;t been playing a lot lately and I can't remember if this is regular bullshit or something new. Shouldn't it be impossible for Hungary to call Sweden to war?

No idea if this is a bug, but it's been a thing for a while now. At least, I've seen it happen on a few occasions. I guess the AI can override the call to arms prerequisites? If you accept the call to arms it just doesn't do anything, no prestige or dishonored alliance stuff and, evidently, declining also has the same effect.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Chuck Finley posted:

No idea if this is a bug, but it's been a thing for a while now. At least, I've seen it happen on a few occasions. I guess the AI can override the call to arms prerequisites? If you accept the call to arms it just doesn't do anything, no prestige or dishonored alliance stuff and, evidently, declining also has the same effect.

Ya, when he was explaining it to me it sounded like a bug I'd never heard of, but when I saw the screenshot it rang a bell in my head, like it's something I've experienced before I took a hiatus from eU4. Really should be fixed because that's the type of thing I would agonise over if it happened in one of my games.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Very excited that we might, potentially, eventually get improvements to the Random New World feature in some future patch/dlc. :dance:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-diary-june-18th.864104/

:eyepop: hot drat

Wiz posted:

As a nice little bonus to modders, there will be console commands in the next patch to reload the heightmap and province map ingame, so restart isn't required for most map editing.

:eyepop::eyepop: heightmap editing was the most infuriating thing so this is a wonderful stealth change

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 18, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I was excited about the random maps but they turned out looking... lovely. They all looked like someone spend 2 min very quickly drawing a civ5 map. I'd be totally fine with a generator that took 5-10 min to generate and would create awesome maps with sensible colonial regions of a quality that matches the rest of the game. But only if it had to generate once. I don't know why the maps are re-generating every time you load a save??

I know a lot of games with random world maps let you generate the map on its own, then start a new game on that map. I think a better system would be a random map button or something and it lets you generate maps and see how they turn out and maybe let you tweak them then save them, then start a new game. Or do it blind, but still have it so you pre-generate the map once and get a good map.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love how people in the thread keep doubting Wiz when he says Byzantium isn't in the top 10 of played countries.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GSD posted:

I love how people in the thread keep doubting Wiz when he says Byzantium isn't in the top 10 of played countries.

I'd love to see more of their metrics. Like man, if wiz dumped a bunch of cool eu4 player stats on us every month, I'd eat that poo poo up. Who are people playing? How often do they cheat? Ironman/vs normal? How long is an average game? Uhg I love stats.

I also just love Wiz's attitude on the official forums. Straight talk and not afraid to call posts stupid.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 18, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I was excited about the random maps but they turned out looking... lovely. They all looked like someone spend 2 min very quickly drawing a civ5 map. I'd be totally fine with a generator that took 5-10 min to generate and would create awesome maps with sensible colonial regions of a quality that matches the rest of the game. But only if it had to generate once. I don't know why the maps are re-generating every time you load a save??

I know a lot of games with random world maps let you generate the map on its own, then start a new game on that map. I think a better system would be a random map button or something and it lets you generate maps and see how they turn out and maybe let you tweak them then save them, then start a new game. Or do it blind, but still have it so you pre-generate the map once and get a good map.

The reason why they constantly re-generate is due to one of the design requirements Wiz mentioned: no pre-generation. If you take a peek at the EU4 save file, it's a big text blob. There's no room in there to dump literal maps. So what they do instead is put a random seed in there, and recreate the map from that seed every time. It's guaranteed to be the same 100% of the time, but it means that their algorithm has to be a lot simpler. Otherwise, it will take far too long to run, and the generation time as it was was already super annoying.

I think they need to bite the bullet and have saves be compressed archives by default, which can contain resource files that can override the base game. That, and represent China better.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The best change of common sense: fixing that drat lake.

I don't think I've ever read a plaza thread before, but I was prepared for the torrent of self-described "byzantophiles," one of whom suggested that Constantinople get a 4-level fort.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Prop Wash posted:

The best change of common sense: fixing that drat lake.

I don't think I've ever read a plaza thread before, but I was prepared for the torrent of self-described "byzantophiles," one of whom suggested that Constantinople get a 4-level fort.

That sounds like a suggestion from someone who hates Byzantium and wants it to go bankrupt early every game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wiz: Is there anything on the roadmap to allow a player to edit an existing country with the Nation Designer?
Also is there any chance that any of the following will be added to the Nation Designer:
~add a second item to one national idea line (two buffs in one slot) (for extra cost or a lower maximum boost from the two items on one line or something)
~allow the player to have one 'overcharged' idea that goes higher than normal allowances (like how the Ottomans have -33% coring cost, Najd has +5% conversion strength, ect) (this could force other ideas' maximums to be lower to have an extreme cost)
~Some ability to determine starting armies and navies
~I had another idea but I cannot remember it right now :eng99:

Fintilgin posted:

Very excited that we might, potentially, eventually get improvements to the Random New World feature in some future patch/dlc. :dance:

This is indeed exciting.

edit:

Pakled posted:

That sounds like a suggestion from someone who hates Byzantium and wants it to go bankrupt early every game.
It would be for free, of course!

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 18, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
An easy way to write events/missions/decisions is what I want. I have a lot of fun with custom countries but they all feel a bit lifeless compared to the normal ones.

Bort Bortles posted:

~add a second item to one national idea line (two buffs in one slot) (for extra cost or a lower maximum boost from the two items on one line or something)
~allow the player to have one 'overcharged' idea that goes higher than normal allowances (like how the Ottomans have -33% coring cost, Najd has +5% conversion strength, ect) (this could force other ideas' maximums to be lower to have an extreme cost)

imperfect solution, but both of these are super easy to mod for. all the nation designer ideas are right there in common\custom_ideas, just switch around some values/ add multiple things to a single idea and you're done.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

imperfect solution, but both of these are super easy to mod for. all the nation designer ideas are right there in common\custom_ideas, just switch around some values/ add multiple things to a single idea and you're done.
That is good to know, thank you! Sometimes I kinda wish I could do something like -5% Infantry cost, +5% Infantry Combat ability in one spot instead of needing to use two or just one of those things at +10%.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Just ended the elective monarchy with Poland, is the Konfederacija modifier supposed to stick around afterwards?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Also, if you're going to rework Random New World from scratch, maybe include a few more options?

1.) Random New World
2.) Random Ocean (Randomizes New World, Pacific, Australia/Indonesia, and Indian Ocean
3.) Randomized outside Old World. (Keeps Europe/North Africa/Middle East the same and randomizes everything else, like the old Merchant Prince game)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Trujillo posted:

Did the Europeans actually give you any trouble though? I never had to fight a European when I got that achievement.

GB stole exactly one province in the India region from Gujarat while I was in a regency council (and thus unable to jump on Gujarat and take the province first!), and I had to beat it out of them in a combined fight with GB & their ally, Ming. Knocked out 2/3rds of the RN in two battles but lost all but one of my heavy ships in the process, then let warscore & war enthusiasm tick until I could take the province I wanted plus a few nearby islands.

One of the highlights of this game, along with an earlier war against Ming and Mega-Mongolia. (The latter had declared war on Assam, my vassal's vassal.) The rest is probably going to be vassal annexing at 5x... might need to go on some adventures to liven things up, like 'conquering australia'.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Why is it that the AI can walk through/past my forts as if they weren't there, while I can't do the same to them? Here's a screenshot of Austria happily marching past my fort to get at me, but I've also had the AI walk through the province with the fort to get at me before.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Apoffys posted:

Why is it that the AI can walk through/past my forts as if they weren't there, while I can't do the same to them? Here's a screenshot of Austria happily marching past my fort to get at me, but I've also had the AI walk through the province with the fort to get at me before.

AI obeys same rules you do (the block is in the basic pathfinding check). I admit that looks odd though, did they somehow come from Cremona previously?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz posted:

quote:

Does [the popularity of Brandenburg] mean Prussia can finally have it's colour changed to Prussian Blue?
That fight you'll have to take with Johan. It does mean that Brandenburg is now an interesting country in 1444 though.

What say you Johan?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

AI obeys same rules you do (the block is in the basic pathfinding check). I admit that looks odd though, did they somehow come from Cremona previously?

The screenshots were taken just a few days after the war started, so they can't have come from Cremona. I don't know where they came from, but presumably they were on their way south already when I joined the war. Lucca was the defender and war target, I jumped in on Lucca's side shortly after the war started.

Perhaps they were already in my territory, on their way to Cremona when I joined the war? I didn't give them military access, but military access doesn't seem to matter any more as you can mostly go where you please without it... (Yes, I'm bitter because I got crushed in another game, because my enemies walked through the lands of my neighbours without a military access treaty).

Here's another example, though I neglected to take a screenshot at the time and I might be misremembering how it happened. I owned Mombasa, which had a functioning (though somewhat understaffed) fort. I had an army in Tanga, which I had occupied. The enemy marched from Malindi, to Mombasa and then on to Tanga where they beat my army. They marched through my fort as if it wasn't there.

Since I'm whining about bugs anyway, here's another one:

This event keeps popping up, I think I got it 4 times in a century. Apart from giving me a seemingly permanent (stacking!) +50 opinion boost with the Pope each time and the other bonuses, it doesn't seem to have any effect on slavery. The papal bull "forbids the enslavement of the Indians of the West and the South and all other people", but my African slave trade is still going strong despite that I accepted the bull (4 times!). Do Africans not count as people?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wiz posted:

Could it be that since they can walk over into mantua (who is also in the war) they can walk to all the provinces bordering it?

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

I took iceland as the scots. I took the colonisation and exploration trees.I cant reach greenland. WHY CANT I REACH GREENLAND eiriksford is 306 away from reykjavik and my range is 240 after the +50%, why is finding accurate info on this game so pissing hard and what can i do now my colony dreams have been shattered? help mee

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Could it be that since they can walk over into mantua (who is also in the war) they can walk to all the provinces bordering it?

It's probably something like this. I've definitely noticed the AI skipping forts before, and I'm told forts in small Marches don't seem to block properly either.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Mugsbaloney posted:

I took iceland as the scots. I took the colonisation and exploration trees.I cant reach greenland. WHY CANT I REACH GREENLAND eiriksford is 306 away from reykjavik and my range is 240 after the +50%, why is finding accurate info on this game so pissing hard and what can i do now my colony dreams have been shattered? help mee

You need the colonial range bonuses from both Exploration ideas and from Diplomatic Tech 7 to reach the new world, including Greenland. Pretty much only Portugal and Castile are close enough to reach the Americas without both bonuses.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

Shouldn't work like that. I'll look into it.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Edit: He just told be he declined, and took no prestige hit and Hungary didn't get any dishonored alliance malus. If this is a bug, this kind of thing can cause people to make uninformed decisions that could end their hard fought games.

Silesia was the aggressor, and called PLC in. Hungary was the defender. The defender will always auto-call their allies to war, regardless of any alliances on the other side.

e: Oh durr I'm tired and misread ignore me. I imagine if he'd accepted he wouldn't actually have joined. I think this happens when Silesia declares, alliances on the defender's side are called first, but the prompt or something didn't actually arrive for whatever reason until after PLC had joined.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mugsbaloney posted:

Improve your diplomacy tech, it gives you extra colonial range every once in a while. I think you need to reach diplo tech 7 to reach it. Getting ideas reduce the cost for the tech so you'll be fine if you just wait a while.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mugsbaloney posted:

Information on the game is perfectly accurate. The guides are assuming you haven't completely ignored your diplomatic tech. Generally the best thing to do is buy the first three exploration ideas, then rush to Diplo 7.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Apoffys posted:

The screenshots were taken just a few days after the war started, so they can't have come from Cremona. I don't know where they came from, but presumably they were on their way south already when I joined the war. Lucca was the defender and war target, I jumped in on Lucca's side shortly after the war started.

Perhaps they were already in my territory, on their way to Cremona when I joined the war? I didn't give them military access, but military access doesn't seem to matter any more as you can mostly go where you please without it... (Yes, I'm bitter because I got crushed in another game, because my enemies walked through the lands of my neighbours without a military access treaty).

Here's another example, though I neglected to take a screenshot at the time and I might be misremembering how it happened. I owned Mombasa, which had a functioning (though somewhat understaffed) fort. I had an army in Tanga, which I had occupied. The enemy marched from Malindi, to Mombasa and then on to Tanga where they beat my army. They marched through my fort as if it wasn't there.

Was Austria emperor? It may be that they were just travelling to stomp on Lucca with a valid path prior to your entry into the war, and the path wasn't recalculated when you joined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Mantua wasn't involved in the war. I've peaced out of the war and Austria is still marching through my territory like they owned it (why? what changed to make military access pointless?), so my guess is they were already there and passed the "can I walk past that fort"-check when I joined the war. Can't go back and check what happened though since it's ironman.

Edit:

sloshmonger posted:

Was Austria emperor? It may be that they were just travelling to stomp on Lucca with a valid path prior to your entry into the war, and the path wasn't recalculated when you joined.

Bizarrely, Austria ended up in a personal union under Hungary a few years into the game and Hesse became emperor (they didn't get involved in the war). They got dragged into it because Hungary was allied to Tuscany (who started the war)

Apoffys fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 18, 2015

• Locked thread