Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Whoa. KSP costs $40 now. I don't think I'll be able to convince anyone to jump in anymore. I had enough difficulty when it was $20 and even then people would have preferred waiting for a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Ha, HarvesteR just slapped down all the nerds complaining about no dev note, with a dev note for the ages: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/345-KSP-and-Unity-5

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Unimpressed posted:

Ha, HarvesteR just slapped down all the nerds complaining about no dev note, with a dev note for the ages: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/345-KSP-and-Unity-5

Poetry.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Unimpressed posted:

Yeah, he really owned those nerds by bowing to the pressure and writing the thing they wanted!

immelman
Oct 6, 2014
This whinging in the forums is totally bizarre! I love this game, for me it's been totally playable for ages and I've played the poo poo out of it.
Hell I'm playing through career mode (again) and having a blast, though I do wonder about my masochistic tolerance for no revert play.
What are these people thinking, take a happy pill.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

immelman posted:

What are these people thinking, take a happy pill.

Making a niche obscure early-access crowd-funded game means that a part of your audience are vocal, possessive manchildren who hate any development outside of their needs.

Honestly, I'm all for this new platform development. Seeing as it sparked a lot of education and enthusiasm for orbital mechanics mathematics, as well as enthusiasm for space exploration on the PC, I can see it doing the same for a lot of PS4 users who would never have had the chance.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
The only way the PS4 release impacts the PC version that I can see is Squad making FAT STACKS, which is a good thing IMO

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Given that KSP is mostly CPU-bound, and that the PS4 has a bunch of weak AMD cores, they'll almost certainly have to work out some sort of multithreading solution. Maybe that'll get ported back to the PC version.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I thought that was half the point of U5?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
What I want to know is PhysX able to run in hardware in Unity 5? If so, I'll be able to add a lot of extra life to this ageing PC with a better graphics card. It plays everything else I have great, but KSP knocks the wind out of it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Unimpressed posted:

In my not-quite-awake-yet state, I kept reading “U5” as “US”, meaning the phrase “move to U5” took on a whole new meaning that would make a completely different segment bitch and moan.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
Stuff was released into pre-release...

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Is there a reason for the current cap on how fast you can timewarp? Having one more step on the timewarp meter would be helpful for missions to the outer planets.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

goose fleet posted:

Is there a reason for the current cap on how fast you can timewarp? Having one more step on the timewarp meter would be helpful for missions to the outer planets.

Last time it was commented on, they said the current timewarp range is at the limit of what the patched conics implementation can handle.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Any overhauls to KSP that bring it in line to pass PS4 QA are good for everyone, plus it basically means a concentration on actual multithreading support which is super.

On top of that it means more money for Squad, which hopefully equals expacs and sequels. Why the hell are people bitching about the port? Pc version gets more stable, probs gets DS4 support, and ends up running with less overhead which means more mod flexibility. Who would bitch about that?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I'm still mystified why they chose a porting company that pretty much exclusively does 2d mobile ports, with no experience in any modern console.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Nalesh posted:

I'm still mystified why they chose a porting company that pretty much exclusively does 2d mobile ports, with no experience in any modern console.

Is there a premier porting company for ps4 with experience in physics heavy control intensive titles? Honest question, top of your head, who is better?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'd guess the choice of company had more to do with Unity experience than PS4.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

goose fleet posted:

Check the Time Control mod thread on the forum. The version on KerbalStuff is outdated, but the thread has a 1.x recompile that works. I use it for the same reason giving an extra order of magnitude time warp as well as lowering the altitude for some. Haven't run into any oddness.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I started playing the game again this past week after not touching it for over a year and I've achieved more that I ever did before. I performed my first rendezvous (and about 12 since then) and sent probes and landers to the Mun and Minmus, as well as a Kerbal to the Mun surface.

My Mun orbit Kerbal needed rescuing as did a contracted rescue job and although it took 4-5 successive rescue missions (each bringing the Kerbals ever closer to home) they finally touched down last night and this morning.

One such rescue attempt was complicated when one of my rescue craft reached orbit and I realised that Jebediah had unknowingly tagged along and took up the single capacity command module.

They came home in this:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

goose fleet posted:

The biggest issue with high timewarp values is that they can cause ships to "tunnel" through celestial bodies (you can actually make this happen already if you intersect with a planet at a really high angle). Of course, this is just a quality-of-implementation issue, since the patched conics approximation allows you to easily predict the position of an object at any point in the future. As far as I know, there's actually no need for KSP to even use timewarp, since they could let you just "jump" to an arbitrary point in the future. I was actually pretty surprised that the "warp to" feature didn't just jump immediately, but I suppose that would have taken more work to do, and it might just not be a very high priority.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's probably the SOI changes, those are still done iteratively as far as I can tell.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Avenging Dentist posted:

The biggest issue with high timewarp values is that they can cause ships to "tunnel" through celestial bodies (you can actually make this happen already if you intersect with a planet at a really high angle). Of course, this is just a quality-of-implementation issue, since the patched conics approximation allows you to easily predict the position of an object at any point in the future. As far as I know, there's actually no need for KSP to even use timewarp, since they could let you just "jump" to an arbitrary point in the future. I was actually pretty surprised that the "warp to" feature didn't just jump immediately, but I suppose that would have taken more work to do, and it might just not be a very high priority.

For newer players, it helps for them to see what's going on during time warp.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I like to be able to stop the Time Warp Here if something comes up that needs attention. The only thing I want improved with the Time Warp function is to be able to go full speed if you're in a stable orbit around a body and not touching atmosphere.

Also holy hell the neckbeardery on the KSP forums is mind boggling.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Nalesh posted:

To be fair, Squad had never written a game before KSP

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

FlyingCheese posted:

I like to be able to stop the Time Warp Here if something comes up that needs attention. The only thing I want improved with the Time Warp function is to be able to go full speed if you're in a stable orbit around a body and not touching atmosphere.

They should just make it so that pressing 'x' during on-rails timewarp causes it to immediately stop. It's already a reflexive "STOP!" key for burns, and it's otherwise a dead key while on-rails.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

eth0.n posted:

They should just make it so that pressing 'x' during on-rails timewarp causes it to immediately stop. It's already a reflexive "STOP!" key for burns, and it's otherwise a dead key while on-rails.

Ooh I like this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, there should have been an emergency stop button for timewarp long ago, especially since until recently it could break your orbits if not caught at the right moment.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Uh, pressing X for me does stop timewarps. Maybe I have a mod that does this?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

wylker posted:

Same here. I discovered it quite by accident. It's quite handy really.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

wylker posted:

Same. If it's a mod, I'm guessing KAC?

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Nalesh posted:

Perhaps Squad had people, you know, interview/meet the folks working for the porting company and after a detailed discussion/analysis decided they were right for the project? I mean come on, what type of a question is this? Squad obviously decided they have the engineering resources to make it work, and the QA resources to pass submission to PSN. It's not like squad is just gonna take a random chance with no thought.

What I'm saying is that you are mystified because you have zero inside knowledge on how the decision was made, which is to be expected. Many companies have you know, released their first big hit project. Maybe it's their turn to knock out a fantastic port.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tippis posted:

That's my guess as well but I can't find any documentation to support this hypothesis.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Tippis posted:

Yeah, looks like KAC does this.

Would still be a good fit for the stock game.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

illectro posted:

To be fair, Squad had never written a game before KSP

This is a good point and I like it

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
Does anyone know what's up with RemoteTech 2? I'm pretty sure it's the reason my game keeps breaking, and I am just learning to use it properly :/ Is there any way to fix without uninstalling?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

haveblue posted:

Yeah, there should have been an emergency stop button for timewarp long ago, especially since until recently it could break your orbits if not caught at the right moment.

I think it still can, since I'm fairly sure I've still seen cases where you can tunnel through planets because of high timewarps.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Nalesh posted:

Mobile poo poo like that is easy money for game developers, and if you don't have a pedigree brand behind you then jobs like that can be what pays the bills and are not necessarily indicative of your capabilities of a studio. It's actually really common for smaller studios to do those sorts of jobs, though they'll sometimes do it under a different banner or not be so public about it, since they still need an income stream until they get some solid titles under their belts or a good publisher relationship. Squad have shown enough intelligence that I can't see them handing their baby off to another studio that they weren't happy with.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Bat Ham posted:

Mobile poo poo like that is easy money for game developers, and if you don't have a pedigree brand behind you then jobs like that can be what pays the bills and are not necessarily indicative of your capabilities of a studio. It's actually really common for smaller studios to do those sorts of jobs, though they'll sometimes do it under a different banner or not be so public about it, since they still need an income stream until they get some solid titles under their belts or a good publisher relationship. Squad have shown enough intelligence that I can't see them handing their baby off to another studio that they weren't happy with.

Besides they're the same guys that did Heavy Gear 2 I think and that's good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
It seems that Contract Controller is no longer supported on x64. Either bye bye cool contracts, or bye bye tons of mods so I can run x32 again. Damnit :argh:

I decided to go back to 32 bit version but drat do I have to scale back on mods.