Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

GSD posted:

I love how people in the thread keep doubting Wiz when he says Byzantium isn't in the top 10 of played countries.

This invasion of privacy to produce vicious slander has gone too far! Burn Stockholm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are protectorates worth using or should I just take the land myself? I'm playing as Portugal and trying to decide what to do with East Africa and the Far East.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Could it be that since they can walk over into mantua (who is also in the war) they can walk to all the provinces bordering it?

They would then need to enter Cremona through Mantua, not Brescia.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

GSD posted:

I love how people in the thread keep doubting Wiz when he says Byzantium isn't in the top 10 of played countries.

The Byzantines may be the heirs to Rome but until they get +20% morale and +7.5 discipline in their national ideas they'll just have to sit on the sidelines. :colbert:

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Yeah but I wanted to beat everyone else there :( oh well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Other than farming trade value is there really any point to colonies? I guess they pay you a bit of coin.

Also the new vassal interface is a bit bad. I love that we have more interaction but the whole raising and lowering tariffs thing doesn't show the existing tariff level or liberty desire. The old interface clearly showed the current percentage and showed the effect on liberty. Now you have to go back and forth.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Bold Robot posted:

Are protectorates worth using or should I just take the land myself? I'm playing as Portugal and trying to decide what to do with East Africa and the Far East.

now that you can yoink provinces from them and get 100% of their trade power, I think they're very much worth using.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Also now that I got thinking about it: The nation designer desperately needs a "save this country setup" to at least retain my name, color, gov type, and ideas.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jabarto posted:

The Byzantines may be the heirs to Rome but until they get +20% morale and +7.5 discipline in their national ideas they'll just have to sit on the sidelines. :colbert:

And +20 Infantry Combat Ability, and +0.5 AT, and -1 AT Decay. Prussian ideas are crazy awesome.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PittTheElder posted:

And +20 Infantry Combat Ability, and +0.5 AT, and -1 AT Decay. Prussian ideas are crazy awesome.

Thanks for reminding me I didn't play a Prussia game yet in CS, I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's basically begging for an Aristocratic/Quality combo, which is unusual enough in itself.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Help I'm addicted to getting involved with the HRE. The IA changes makes it so much more funner to be in it and do reforms without gamey rear end crap like before.

I wonder how Muscovy and Ottoman felt when they got an invitation to go to war against their enemy. Then on the battlefield they see 50(47 to be exact) different flags marching down on their foe. Must've been a real oh gently caress we chose the wrong person to gang up on moment.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I was actually looking at a TO->Prussia game as well after changing my mind about going for the Bengal Tiger achievement, and have a bunch of random questions since I've never played a central European country before.

Does going Influence then Defensive seem like a decent plan for an early game diplo-annexing TO? I figure that'll let me set up a decent powerbase before the switch, with the idea being to get Religious around the time the reformation happens pretty much solely for Deus Vult. Then switch to Prussia and follow that up with Offensive or Quality to make my army even more ridiculous. Like I said I've never played in the HRE or central Europe before, so is my made-up timeline reasonable at all? Or am I off by like 50 years and should take an admin idea on my way to the others?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

It can be useful if you want trade power but don't want to deal with the provinces, and especially useful if you westernize as an Asian. China's rich for trade, and if you're western tech you can fight a war against any indian/asian tech country and protectorate them in one war, even the big Chinese ones. It always costs 100 war score. It depends though if you're Portugal. If you have a lot of colonial nations or strong ones eventually they'll get restless if you don't have a big enough army size even if you don't raise tarriffs so taking more land for yourself might be worth it. I think the increased coring costs tilts the scale a little more towards taking protectorates than before, and it doesn't cost a diplo slot though so the right answer is to probably do both.

Since we're reporting bugs here now I went back and looked through my screenshots to see if I caught any. Something strange is going on here with these rebels:

I still don't understand the zone of control system enough to know if it's because they're stuck in a web of forts or something else.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 19, 2015

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Forts in enemy lands don't project a zone of control if you capture them. They only do their zone of control thing when they are owned and controlled by the same country.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

How necessary is Common Sense for playing a smaller country, like a Dutch or German minor? As I understand, you can't increase the number of buildings in a province without it, which seems like it would be a big deal when you start with fewer provinces, but is that much of an issue in practice?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

Thanks for reminding me I didn't play a Prussia game yet in CS, I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow!

Prussia is stronger than ever IMO. Their last NI got tweaked from 5% Production to 5% development cost and Protestantism is amazing now. +1 Tolerance, 10% tax, +5% morale, +2.5% Discipline, +10% manpower recovery :getin:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't that the transport feature that lets rebels cross seas?

My Chinese game is not going as well as I'd have hoped. I shattered Ming and went on to play as Min (even if their flag looks like it has a derpy duck beak) but the thunderdome has turned into a lovefest. I want more slaughter. I'm really not looking forward to doing any sieges in Dai Viet.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

I was actually looking at a TO->Prussia game as well after changing my mind about going for the Bengal Tiger achievement, and have a bunch of random questions since I've never played a central European country before.

Does going Influence then Defensive seem like a decent plan for an early game diplo-annexing TO? I figure that'll let me set up a decent powerbase before the switch, with the idea being to get Religious around the time the reformation happens pretty much solely for Deus Vult. Then switch to Prussia and follow that up with Offensive or Quality to make my army even more ridiculous. Like I said I've never played in the HRE or central Europe before, so is my made-up timeline reasonable at all? Or am I off by like 50 years and should take an admin idea on my way to the others?
Phone posting so sorry for double post.

Influence and Def is great tho AE is less of an issue. Religious I wouldn't bother, you don't have many off religion neighbors to use the CB and conversion is a lot easier in CS. Keep in mind forming Prussia as the TO will remove you and all your provinces from the HRE.

My last game I went Economic, Aristocratic, Defensive, Innovative, Quality. Probably finish that off with Offensive and I guess maybe I should get a Dip idea.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

GSD posted:

I haven't played Byzantium yet and I think Wiz finds me sorta insufferable (for some valid reasons.) Should I scrap my current game and try to get every achievement with Byzantium, and complain that I can't?

In fact, they should be called the Eastern Roman Empire. Wiz, what the gently caress. And just who are the true sons of Rome anyway, when Paradox brutishly nerfs Byz with every patch? I'm starting ten threads on Paradox's forums right now.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'm going to assume that army tradition wasn't tweaked at all in 1.12/CS because despite constantly being at war I check back to my military page and see that I have ~10 AT every single time. My guess is that sieges were changed drastically with the addition of forts and they just forgot or skipped over changing the AT to counteract that. It's super lame having to waste mil points just so that I can get a crappy 0/0/1/0 general for the dozenth time.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

How necessary is Common Sense for playing a smaller country, like a Dutch or German minor? As I understand, you can't increase the number of buildings in a province without it, which seems like it would be a big deal when you start with fewer provinces, but is that much of an issue in practice?

Developing provinces is nice but pretty expensive so it's really only a luxury available if you've got a lot of extra monarch points. The building limit is a big problem for the AI who makes dumb choices but you can just stick to the most important buildings and be fine.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So often when starting a new game I'll check out the trade map and see how all the nodes go as I tend to play around trade. Even since common sense when you are in the new-game map and switch to trade view it will show all the trade regions but it doesn't show the nodes or connections. Is this a bug or something new?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Playing as Poland, I just got a PU over Wallachia. Hungary contested, and off to war we go.

Except none of my minions got the call to arms. Lithuania's sitting there. Novgorod, Modavia, Golden Horde... Allies got the call, and thankfully accepted, as I was already involved in 3 wars.

Am I missing something? Do junior partners, marches and vassals not get call to arms for PUs?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there a good way to get allies to go from being Defensive towards you to friendly? Will it at least happen eventually? I can't tell if some of these alliances I'm forming are worth it if my allies just sit there all day and never join any of my wars. I know it's still useful as a deterrent for other nations declaring war on me, but I'm never quite sure if I should just go with a lesser alliance with a smaller country in exchange for them already being friendly towards me or if I should or even can just wait out the defensive period with my bigger neighbors instead.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

So often when starting a new game I'll check out the trade map and see how all the nodes go as I tend to play around trade. Even since common sense when you are in the new-game map and switch to trade view it will show all the trade regions but it doesn't show the nodes or connections. Is this a bug or something new?

Someone posted a few pages back that it's a display bug with some UI/visual mods that haven't been updated for CS trade nodes

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

sloshmonger posted:

Playing as Poland, I just got a PU over Wallachia. Hungary contested, and off to war we go.

Except none of my minions got the call to arms. Lithuania's sitting there. Novgorod, Modavia, Golden Horde... Allies got the call, and thankfully accepted, as I was already involved in 3 wars.

Am I missing something? Do junior partners, marches and vassals not get call to arms for PUs?

You were allied in a war with hungary when they decided to contest for the pu. If that happens there is a bug preventing all your vassals from joining the war.

VDay posted:

Is there a good way to get allies to go from being Defensive towards you to friendly? Will it at least happen eventually? I can't tell if some of these alliances I'm forming are worth it if my allies just sit there all day and never join any of my wars. I know it's still useful as a deterrent for other nations declaring war on me, but I'm never quite sure if I should just go with a lesser alliance with a smaller country in exchange for them already being friendly towards me or if I should or even can just wait out the defensive period with my bigger neighbors instead.

Once you get high enough trust they should eventually become friendly eventually.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Sorced posted:

Once you get high enough trust they should eventually become friendly eventually.

This, as well as sharing common rivals.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
May have been a bit overzealous in trying to get big blue blob.

Probably the most outnumbered I've ever been. Been trying to never sit on admin so I've been going for a quick annexation of someone when I'm getting close to max but it's caught up with me. This is a trickier achievement than I thought it'd be. Can't go too fast or too slow.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 19, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pellisworth posted:

Someone posted a few pages back that it's a display bug with some UI/visual mods that haven't been updated for CS trade nodes

I Don't have any mods. Totally vanilla.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I booted up an Ayutthaya game. I set up some alliances on day 1 and got a mission to conquer Angkor. Did that but now I have ~bad karma~. Should I just be vassalizing and diplo-annexing as much as possible? Should I be developing provinces with my lovely tech group?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Not mine but I think this should basically be eu4.jpg

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Luigi Thirty posted:

I booted up an Ayutthaya game. I set up some alliances on day 1 and got a mission to conquer Angkor. Did that but now I have ~bad karma~. Should I just be vassalizing and diplo-annexing as much as possible? Should I be developing provinces with my lovely tech group?

My approach with Ceylon was to do that until I became big enough, and then gave up and just sat on -100% karma forever.

-10 discipline sucks, and it also sucks that you end up ignoring what is honestly a fun little mechanic, but conquering at the speed of a snail sucks more.

Then again, being next to Ming might mean that "big enough" is larger than the total size required for the cheevo. Depends whether they blow up or not!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think the thing to do is try to steamroll as much of Khmer as possible so you can get them as an accepted culture and take advantage of their rich provinces. As soon as it flipped to accepted my gold income per month tripled.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

VDay posted:

Diploannexing the TO is completely unnecessary. I mean you could, but I'd honestly rather just double down on my strengths right out of the gate. So ally with Poland and Austria day 0, wait for Poland to form their union with Lithuania, then declare war on the TO to retake Neumark. Use a couple infantry to siege that down in the first month, then go try and get troops on Konigsberg, or barring that, anyone of the TO's ducal Prussian provinces (because we're going for maximum pretty borders of course). Park your focus on Military, take Neumark and Konigsberg in the peace (you won't be able to core Konigsberg yet, that doesn't matter), then set your sights on Pommerania. Snag a coastal province or three off them, and then you can core Konigsberg. Then take the Prussian expansion mission and conquer the rest of ducal Prussia. Then just take as many military ideas as the game will let you. You're going to want Defensive/Aristocratic/Quality to max out AT, which will let you roll hilarious god generals.

Religious is unnecessary, take Economic instead. Influence is OK, but only because there isn't anything better to take in the diplomatic group. Maybe Trade.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Diploannexing the TO is completely unnecessary. I mean you could, but I'd honestly rather just double down on my strengths right out of the gate. So ally with Poland and Austria day 0, wait for Poland to form their union with Lithuania, then declare war on the TO to retake Neumark. Use a couple infantry to siege that down in the first month, then go try and get troops on Konigsberg, or barring that, anyone of the TO's ducal Prussian provinces (because we're going for maximum pretty borders of course). Park your focus on Military, take Neumark and Konigsberg in the peace (you won't be able to core Konigsberg yet, that doesn't matter), then set your sights on Pommerania. Snag a coastal province or three off them, and then you can core Konigsberg. Then take the Prussian expansion mission and conquer the rest of ducal Prussia. Then just take as many military ideas as the game will let you. You're going to want Defensive/Aristocratic/Quality to max out AT, which will let you roll hilarious god generals.

Religious is unnecessary, take Economic instead. Influence is OK, but only because there isn't anything better to take in the diplomatic group. Maybe Trade.

Yeah pretty much agree with all this, I have a great ~1650 TO game in Common Sense I need to wrap up this weekend and will post some screens of Maximum Prussia :getin:

Economic is great and you're in a good position to expand vertically. AE is still something to keep an eye on, but it's not nearly as limiting as previous patches and you'll find yourself constrained mostly by MPs and manpower than AE or OE. Religious conversion is much easier, roughly half the contribution from base tax, especially in Europe where there aren't many Muslims or Orthodox with conversion penalties it's easy. Also you're the TO and have conversion NIs, go solid Protestant before you hit the Prussia button. For those reasons Religious and Humanist aren't too appealing IMO. Influence is a good pick but I would highly recommend finding an extra Diplomat or two if you are going to expand by vassal integration. It takes a long loving time and you're probably stuck with 2 Diplomats which can be fairly crippling. I would go Influence, Economic, Aristocratic for your first three or just skip Influence and get a second military idea because lol Prussia

Edit: also I think it's more beneficial to keep around a couple non-German culture marches for a long time rather than integrating them. Someone like Poland or Sweden as a march is extremely baller.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 19, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Other than farming trade value is there really any point to colonies? I guess they pay you a bit of coin.

Kind of underselling the trade, I think, a properly colonized new world pours crazy ducats through the trade system back to whomever controls the end nodes. The money is normally small peanuts compared to the trade ducats. Then again that sort of assumes that you do own the end nodes.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

I've been playing as Ayutthaya and the only way to deal with Karma is to ignore it or never conquer anything. The -10% Discipline is annoying and almost lost me a few easy wars, but a +5% advisor can negate that almost entirely.
I haven't even touched my provinces yet in terms of development, the consensus seems to be that only western nations have enough excess points to make development useful. I went humanist (which synchronizes with your national ideas nicely) and there's a handful of events that randomly dole out +1 basetax to a province, which is nice.

Question for my Ayutthaya game: It's ~1585 and the first colonizer (Spain) is making their way east. They only have one province on the gold/ivory/whatever coast so far, but i'm going to bet they'll be hopping towards me soon enough. Any ideas on what I should do? Try to stop them by colonizing everything in their way? Let them in and steal a province to westernize off of?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

Question for my Ayutthaya game: It's ~1585 and the first colonizer (Spain) is making their way east. They only have one province on the gold/ivory/whatever coast so far, but i'm going to bet they'll be hopping towards me soon enough. Any ideas on what I should do? Try to stop them by colonizing everything in their way? Let them in and steal a province to westernize off of?

imho westernizing is counterproductive for ayutthaya; the game shouldn't last long enough for westernizing to benefit you overall. especially not for it to benefit you more than a war with spain will cost you. (hell, I never westernized as ceylon, and managed to stay up-to-date with miltech into the 1760s while still filling out military idea groups... though I may have gotten lucky with kings, not sure.)

the good news is that spain may not actually be racing your way. in ~my ceylon game~, they took south africa, then just stopped there for the next two centuries - didn't start colonizing in the east indies until the 1700s. great britain & portugal ended up beating spain to it, somewhere in the mid-late 1600s. so... might not need to panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
also, gonna take a moment to boast:

it is I, the 0.01%.

I wonder how many players that is?

• Locked thread