Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

You expected a 980ti to like crush SLI 970's in a synthetic?

I think its crazy that a card as good as the 970 in SLI is almost dead even with a 980ti, a card that "only" costs twice as much. That's like an even performance:dollar ratio to the top, unheard of. And in reality the 980ti is better in so many practical ways that you could even say the 980ti is actually a better value choice than the 970.

Also a little jealous you snagged that card. I havent seen any aftermarket 980tis in stock period

This is pretty much the reason why I'm considering the 980 Ti as a viable sidegrade to my former SLI 970 setup, to the point that I'm deceiving myself into thinking it isn't a sidegrade because sidegrades are huge wastes of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

This is pretty much the reason why I'm considering the 980 Ti as a viable sidegrade to my former SLI 970 setup, to the point that I'm deceiving myself into thinking it isn't a sidegrade because sidegrades are huge wastes of money.

The value is literally entirely predicated on how much you can sell those 970s for. If you can get $300 per, it's a $50-150 upgrade.

If you don't sell the 970s well, it's a preposterous waste of money.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The most anyone should pay for a used 970 should be ~$250, and that should be for a tweaked version with a transferable warranty. New ones - albeit stock clocked versions - have already broken the $300 mark with coupons and rebates, and tweaked versions have hit ~$320 on more than one occasion. But hey, if you find someone dumb enough...go for it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Ah my usual retailer has R9 390X's up for AUD650. Not that it matters much, since it's the Furies I'm keeping a weather eye on vis-a-vis the GTX 980ti.

(They're also almost completely clear of 2xx branded stock so no bargains to be had there.)

For comparison, GTX 970s are about AUD 500-520 (lower for those Galax things), GTX 980s around AUD750 and 980ti around the AUD1000-1050 mark. (The EVGA Hybrid was AUD1150 and sold out lickety-split.)

NB: The exchange rate to USD is about 0.78 today.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

repiv posted:

AMD published their own set of Fury X vs 980ti 4K benchmarks:

Grain of salt, etc, obvious conflict of interest here.

Why is Infinite's DoF still giving AMD cards so much trouble?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

Ah my usual retailer has R9 390X's up for AUD650. Not that it matters much, since it's the Furies I'm keeping a weather eye on vis-a-vis the GTX 980ti.

(They're also almost completely clear of 2xx branded stock so no bargains to be had there.)

For comparison, GTX 970s are about AUD 500-520 (lower for those Galax things), GTX 980s around AUD750 and 980ti around the AUD1000-1050 mark. (The EVGA Hybrid was AUD1150 and sold out lickety-split.)

NB: The exchange rate to USD is about 0.78 today.

Few weeks back they had Galax 980's for $650 before they sold out, and they've come back at that price before. There are also Windforce 980s for $700.

On the 970 front you can get reference cooled ones for down around 430-450. The 390x really is squeezed by the cheaper 970 and the faster 980, in Australia at least.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

You'll get the 980ti and then start wondering about getting another one and sli-ing that.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

BurritoJustice posted:

Few weeks back they had Galax 980's for $650 before they sold out, and they've come back at that price before. There are also Windforce 980s for $700.

On the 970 front you can get reference cooled ones for down around 430-450. The 390x really is squeezed by the cheaper 970 and the faster 980, in Australia at least.
Yeah, before I decided to go ultrawide for the new monitor I was definitely eyeing off the Strix and MSI Gaming 970 to pair up with a 1440p. The 980ti popping up has made me rethink that idea and I'm kind of, well, I'd get more out of a wide monitor than something with one of the adaptive sync techs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

KakerMix posted:

You'll get the 980ti and then start wondering about getting another one and sli-ing that.
:psyduck:

I had to pause for about 10 seconds before I posted this

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So much for hoping that AMD can actually beat Nvidia cleanly.

Does anyone know where the gently caress WCCFT is getting their info from? They've got specs on the Fury Nano, saying it's got a 175W TDP?

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-nano-detailed-features-fiji-gpu-175w-tdp-single-8pin-connector-sff-design-faster-hawaii/

Knew I saw this slide somewhere. It's just saying that it has one 8-pin PCIe power connector, so that's the maximum.

norg
Jul 5, 2006
http://www.kitguru.net/site-news/announcements/zardon/amd-withdraw-kitguru-fury-x-sample-over-negative-content/

:/

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Scummy AMD, I haven't seen anything on KG that would justify this sort of garbage.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
They probably do have very limited supply of those cards to give out to reviewers and wanted to make sure they would only land on the more friendly review sites.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Scummy as hell. Not liking this, AMD.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Scummy as hell. Not liking this, AMD.

Sormus posted:

They probably do have very limited supply of those cards to give out to reviewers and wanted to make sure they would only land on the more friendly review sites.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sormus posted:

:lol: really? If they can't divert a few extra cards that is utterly pathetic, they will need to have at least a few thousand available at launch. If this is actually an issue of supply they should say so, but what they did say is that they will not give KG review samples because KG did not bias themselves towards AMD. It's BS plain and simple.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

It's lame, but it doesn't mean anything in the long run; once the cards are out there available to buy, who cares what AMD says.

But being pessimistic about the "new" 300 series is hardly unreasonable, since it's a bunch of warmed over stuff. Most egregious is the Radeon 265 being bumped up a model number to 370. So that's a 7850 with some faster RAM pushed as being a midrange card again for years and years running.

They should have released big Tonga and cut-down Tonga to fill the gaps in the line up. Putting old GCN 1.0 cards back in is pretty much unforgivable. It's also a shame the 360 is worse than the 260X.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Huh. Wonder what the hell's up there. I haven't taken much look at kitguru recently. Are they the guys who put up the piece right before the E3 thing where they took a titan, saw how much memory got allocated at totally arbitrary settings with widely varying AA levels that put VRAM use right between 4 and 6 GB and declared that every byte allocated was necessary? If so, that was a lovely hit piece but shame on you AMD, let the performance results speak.

I'm also really hoping some site gets it together and does a 4K 4 GB vs 8 GB 290X CF showdown, that would do a lot to give a rough idea of how much memory is actually needed.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
But I thought nvidia was the evil one

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Huh. Wonder what the hell's up there. I haven't taken much look at kitguru recently. Are they the guys who put up the piece right before the E3 thing where they took a titan, saw how much memory got allocated at totally arbitrary settings with widely varying AA levels that put VRAM use right between 4 and 6 GB and declared that every byte allocated was necessary? If so, that was a lovely hit piece but shame on you AMD, let the performance results speak.

I'm also really hoping some site gets it together and does a 4K 4 GB vs 8 GB 290X CF showdown, that would do a lot to give a rough idea of how much memory is actually needed.

It's probably over this video where Leo Waldock of KG talks about rebadging old cards and bribing popular streamers with stuff like free video cards if they promote AMD.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

But I thought nvidia was the evil one

They're loving corporations. NV is the evil one. AMD is the evil one, and Intel, and everybody. I'd personally rather something that can easily be circumvented by a reviewer buying a card than a lie about specs that takes forever to uncover, but they're both lovely. Don't think for a second that a company is your friend or your team.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's probably over this video where Leo Waldock of KG talks about rebadging old cards and bribing popular streamers with stuff like free video cards if they promote AMD.

Interesting.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

[edit: efb]

...in which case I still don't think it's a valid reason to withdraw a review sample.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

They're loving corporations. NV is the evil one. AMD is the evil one, and Intel, and everybody. I'd personally rather something that can easily be circumvented by a reviewer buying a card than a lie about specs that takes forever to uncover, but they're both lovely. Don't think for a second that a company is your friend or your team.

Careful, ive been saying this for years, but that just fans the flames. AMD is the holy underdog and nvidia is the fatcat greedy one ok ... get with it :|

But for real AMD would have been better off not saying anything at all to Kitguru lol. The fact that was "cleared" by anybody is astonishing.

I sincerely hope KG gets ahold of a sample before the release date by other means.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 19, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

xthetenth posted:

They are only on your team insofar that they are at each other throats, which is reason enough to cheer on AMD. They're all gladiators in the rear end in a top hat Coliseum, and goddamn it I want my moneys worth SO YOU BETTER NOT DIE YET FUCKER! PUT ON A GOOD SHOW!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

FaustianQ posted:

They are only on your team insofar that they are at each other throats, which is reason enough to cheer on AMD. They're all gladiators in the rear end in a top hat Coliseum, and goddamn it I want my moneys worth SO YOU BETTER NOT DIE YET FUCKER! PUT ON A GOOD SHOW!

Pitting people against each-other in the rear end in a top hat coliseum is half the fun come hardware refresh time at work. Vendors, choose your weapons, send me your quotes, and may the best man win!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PCGH tested the 290X with hacked 300-series drivers and found the tessellation boost is actually a driver thing, so Grenada is back to "probably a pure Hawaii rebadge" since AMD won't give anyone a straight answer on what it is.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/AMD-Radeon-Grafikkarte-255597/Specials/Radeon-R9-390X-Test-1162303/

I guess that explains why the new drivers only work on 300 series cards officially, by withholding some optimizations from the 200 series the new cards appeared more improved than they really are in early benchmarks.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

What they should do is use a really old AMD card, or a cardboard cutout with a bad drawing of the new card on it and give it a really bad rating.

This reminds me of Ferrari not giving Top Gear one of their cars because they wouldn't suck Ferrari's dick. Like, this "production" Ferrari wasn't allowed to be dyno'ed, it came with racing slicks you couldn't buy with the production version, other tweaks etc.

Actually if AMD was as bad as Ferrari, you couldn't buy your AMD graphics card but call them up and they'll deliver it to a lan meeting for you, then afterwards take the card away again. Also you can't ring them for an order, they ring you if they feel you're worthy enough after buying 4 other really older AMD cards in the past.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

PCGH tested the 290X with hacked 300-series drivers and found the tessellation boost is actually a driver thing, so Grenada is back to "probably a pure Hawaii rebadge" since AMD won't give anyone a straight answer on what it is.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/AMD-Radeon-Grafikkarte-255597/Specials/Radeon-R9-390X-Test-1162303/

I guess that explains why the new drivers only work on 300 series cards officially, by withholding some optimizations from the 200 series the new cards appeared more improved than they really are in early benchmarks.

lol

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

"Improved tessellation performance" is probably just "capped tessellation at 8x globally".

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

repiv posted:

Surely this will go over well with 200-series owners.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

"Improved tessellation performance" is probably just "capped tessellation at 8x globally".

If they were capping tessellation the graph would flatten out past a certain subdivision level, so I think it's a legit optimization. It's something at least v:shobon:v

Twerk from Home posted:

200 series owners must get the drivers at some point, right? Otherwise I've got some BIOS flashing to do. I haven't flashed a GPU since my X800 Pro VIVO became an X800 XT PE!

vv Surely it would make more sense to track down the modded drivers, changing a config file is a lot safer than dicking about with BIOSes. Especially if you have a 4GB card since only 8GB 390X BIOSes exist.

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 19, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Parker Lewis posted:

Surely this will go over well with 200-series owners.

200 series owners must get the drivers at some point, right? Otherwise I've got some BIOS flashing to do. I haven't flashed a GPU since my X800 Pro VIVO became an X800 XT PE!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

If they were capping tessellation the graph would flatten out past a certain subdivision level, so I think it's a legit optimization. It's something at least v:shobon:v

Oh yeah its an improvement, its just lame that it will likely be passed off as "Well its like a 290x but a little better look here" when really it has nothing to do with the "new" cards.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

repiv posted:

I absolutely guessed this would be the case, but I didn't post such speculation because I thought it would sound way too pessimistic.

This is a horrible mess. Why does AMD love digging so much?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Yeah the performance gains from the 390/X don't make up for the extra wattage, and even then there are workarounds to get the same-ish performance.

And here I thought successors being beating beaten by predecessors was restricted only to AMD's K10-Bulldozer on the CPU side.

I'm assuming FUDzilla didn't get a review sample then if AMD is being this scummy.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

xthetenth posted:

My man.

HalloKitty posted:

I absolutely guessed this would be the case, but I didn't post such speculation because I thought it would sound way too pessimistic.

This is a horrible mess. Why does AMD love digging so much?

:rolleyes: So 290X owners who are in the know will flash their BIOS, some people will buy a 390X because they have more money than sense, and the world keeps turning.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
This AMD BS sucks as it means Nvidia won't be forced to drop pricing on TI. Well, hopefully at least AMD drives Nvidia to drop price on regular 980 to $400ish when air-cooled fury releases.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Khagan posted:

Yeah the performance gains from the 390/X don't make up for the extra wattage, and even then there are workarounds to get the same-ish performance.

And here I thought successors being beating beaten by predecessors was restricted only to AMD's K10-Bulldozer on the CPU side.

I'm assuming FUDzilla didn't get a review sample then if AMD is being this scummy.

Check the reviews with different cards from the MSI one, that card slurps power apparently.HardwareCanucks has a Sapphire that only pulls 18W more, and Techspot got a pair of HIS cards that pull 1W more and 2W less on the 390 and 390X respectively.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

beejay posted:

:rolleyes: So 290X owners who are in the know will flash their BIOS, some people will buy a 390X because they have more money than sense, and the world keeps turning.

Problem I see is with tech-savvy customers/enthusiasts picking up on the rebranding and driver stuff. That could potentially put AMD in a bad spot because (a) they're releasing another set of rebadged cards, (b) they're saying these cards are a newer lineup, and (c) they're intentionally being misleading/dishonest about it with their driver optimizations. We've seen other companies get bit by that behavior, and once someone finds out, poo poo tends to blow up pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

oblomov posted:

This AMD BS sucks as it means Nvidia won't be forced to drop pricing on TI. Well, hopefully at least AMD drives Nvidia to drop price on regular 980 to $400ish when air-cooled fury releases.

They already have with the release price. If they weren't trying to compete with AMD's Fury stuff I guarantee you the 980ti would be much more. However like you said the 980 has room to drop, but it can't get too close the 970 in price unless that drops too which AMD is giving nvidia much less reason to do so with that in any reasonable time frame.