Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Terrible Opinions posted:

Europe has really weird race problems, as bad or worse than America, just with slightly different targets. It's sort of like how we forget in America that Slavs aren't just "white".

Why do people say this in regards to racism outside the US, "it's as bad, or worse"? Possibly "as bad"? WHAT!? Racism outside the US is another another quantum level compared to the US.

I know people like to think the US is the pinnacle of hatred, but no, most of the rest of the world makes the US look like The Land of Eternal Peace Among All Races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Quick, time for a wiki article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky%C5%8Dgaku_no_Gaijin_Hanzai_Ura_File_%E2%80%93_Gaijin_Hanzai_Hakusho_2007

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Why do people say this in regards to racism outside the US, "it's as bad, or worse"? Possibly "as bad"? WHAT!? Racism outside the US is another another quantum level compared to the US.

I know people like to think the US is the pinnacle of hatred, but no, most of the rest of the world makes the US look like The Land of Eternal Peace Among All Races.

Quantum means very small.

----

I met a really cool Romanian military dude when I was in Afghanistan. One day he was taking about how he didn't want to be doing the poo poo he was doing for the Romanian army.

"I thought I would try out for special forces, to kill some Gypsies."

He was a bit less cool after that.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

I have a copy of this that I bought when I lived in Japan. It's scary to walk down the street and Galvatron is all there looking suspicious.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wasabi the J posted:

Quantum means very small.

No, you read it wrong. I wrote it was on another Quantas level.

European racism is an entirely different airline.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Here is a really cool article about how Google was working on an artificial intelligence that learns about objects by looking at various images and then using that knowledge to recreate a different image.

The article itself isn't very creepy, but I do think that some of the images it creates are very unsettling.

http://googleresearch.blogspot.nl/2015/06/inceptionism-going-deeper-into-neural.html?m=1

Here's another picture that my friend sent me at around the same time he showed me the article. It doesn't look this particular picture is in the article's image gallery, but it's pretty obvious it was created through the same methods.

Davinci has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Jun 19, 2015

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

True, it feels more ingrained in Europe. Perhaps that's because of close borders, but it's more likely because there's just many more centuries of history to provide the cement for racial/cultural/national issues. It's funny being from the US and being seated with Europeans at various events. They truly act surprised when we joke and laugh with everyone at the table, regardless of origin.

I went on a Nile cruise years ago, every table was seated by nationality. Except the Americans, Egyptians, and Iraqis were seated together because there weren't enough of us to make our own tables. Now, I don't have to state that Iraq and U.S. and Egypt have several reasons to have beef with each other (we were at war with Iraq at the time). Every other table was relatively silent at dinner, whereas ours was raucous with stories and photo-sharing and laughter.

Not applying this to everyone, just sharing my own experience.

I'm really glad that Gypsy Rose link was shared: I've been trying to follow that story for the last 36 hours by piecing together dozens of articles, threads, and FB posts... finding out it's being archived together in one article was quite useful. Thanks!

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 03:36 on Jun 19, 2015

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Davinci posted:

Here is a really cool article about how Google was working on an artificial intelligence that learns about objects by looking at various images and then using that knowledge to recreate a different image.

The article itself isn't very creepy, but I do think that some of the images it creates are very unsettling.

http://googleresearch.blogspot.nl/2015/06/inceptionism-going-deeper-into-neural.html?m=1

Here's another picture that my friend sent me at around the same time he showed me the article. It doesn't look this particular picture is in the article's image gallery, but it's pretty obvious it was created through the same methods.

Very interesting! The image that you posted is definitely the most unsettling one.

It somewhat reminds me of the art of Louis Wain, which I believe has come up in this thread before, but is worth posting again ... basically he went from drawing popular Victorian lolcat art

to "ok, mate, your cats are starting to look a little ... weird ..."

to being an institutionalized creator of terrifying Elder God Cats

and drawings showing that the Universe is made up of fractal cats, man

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Both sides of my family have only been in the US a hundred years or so; Polish/Lithuanian on my mom's side, German/probably Jewish on my dad's. Neither set of grandparents were thrilled when my parents got married in the 80's, and my charming paternal grandmother delighted in telling Dumb Pollock jokes around my mom right up until her death in 2009. I highly doubt anyone, on either side, in the last couple generations has given a gently caress about their partners' identity, thankfully, but extended family dinners were always awkward when I was a kid. Outside of that, I think the biggest problems my cousins, brothers and I have had to contend with is no one ever being able to pronounce our last names right :mad:

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Drunk Nerds posted:

True, it feels more ingrained in Europe. Perhaps that's because of close borders, but it's more likely because there's just many more centuries of history to provide the cement for racial/cultural/national issues. It's funny being from the US and being seated with Europeans at various events. They truly act surprised when we joke and laugh with everyone at the table, regardless of origin.

I went on a Nile cruise years ago, every table was seated by nationality. Except the Americans, Egyptians, and Iraqis were seated together because there weren't enough of us to make our own tables. Now, I don't have to state that Iraq and U.S. and Egypt have several reasons to have beef with each other (we were at war with Iraq at the time). Every other table was relatively silent at dinner, whereas ours was raucous with stories and photo-sharing and laughter.
I think these might just be cultural traits rather than actual racism - many European countries are quite reserved in their social interactions with strangers, especially when they share no common language. In comparison people from the US are generally viewed by Europeans as being egregriously outgoing (an unkind stereotype).

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Chicken Butt posted:

It somewhat reminds me of the art of Louis Wain, which
is oversimplified. The fractal cats were part of artistic experimentation partly to try to create wallpaper patterns and he continued to ALSO create the typical cutesy-realism cat pictures throughout his career. There's not actually real evidence for putting them in the chronological order in which you always see them, it's just that some doctor was like "well he's schizophrenic and if I arrange them in this order it looks like his art got weirder as he got more schizophrenic, which fits with my preexisting worldview so I'm gonna assume I'm right"

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

is oversimplified. The fractal cats were part of artistic experimentation partly to try to create wallpaper patterns and he continued to ALSO create the typical cutesy-realism cat pictures throughout his career. There's not actually real evidence for putting them in the chronological order in which you always see them, it's just that some doctor was like "well he's schizophrenic and if I arrange them in this order it looks like his art got weirder as he got more schizophrenic, which fits with my preexisting worldview so I'm gonna assume I'm right"

Interesting, thanks.

Still, the "insane" drawings freak me out. It's also intriguing that he was was drawing fractals while Mandelbrot was still a child. Their striking similarity to psychedelic art, which didn't develop until well after his death, is also interesting.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
This talk of cats and fractals reminds me of this article, which describes a man who after being kicked in the head, received brain damage that makes him interpret the world as a series of fractal images, among other ailments.

Here's another article on it, with some more pictures. It's a news site so it has an accompanying autoplaying video, so don't be surprised when the page starts talking after you've scrolled down a bit like what happened to me.

Davinci has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Jun 19, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Chicken Butt posted:

Interesting, thanks.

Still, the "insane" drawings freak me out. It's also intriguing that he was was drawing fractals while Mandelbrot was still a child. Their striking similarity to psychedelic art, which didn't develop until well after his death, is also interesting.

that's not a fractal, it's what mathematicians call a "colorful pattern"

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Davinci posted:

This look like some horrific post-nuclear-apocalypse beagle-goat hybrid.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

Note the people cowering in the lower left. Judging by perspective, must he some hybrid.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Karma Monkey posted:

I misread that as "Slaves" at first and was really confused. Thought maybe you were going for "edgy," especially with your user name, then I realized no, I just can't read. But yea, you're right.

guess where the word came from!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Davinci posted:

This computer is tripping balls.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This computer is tripping balls.

The discrepancy between the thumbnail and the full size image here is pretty crazy.

Thumbnail: Knight on horseback waving to crowd and being led by squire
Full size: Oh... oh god... :gonk:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

In the thumbnail it looks like he has a cute little fox puppet on his hand. In the fullsize it looks like like a Bloodborne enemy.

The sky and the cosmos are one.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
This one is my favorite:

All the buildings in that last image look to me like an architect got really high and started designing buildings out of frosting and candy.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Davinci posted:

A little creepy, but also kind of inspiring, charming, and humorous. I would totally buy some of those as poster prints, and I would love it if they made a home computer version of the software someday.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fyadophobic posted:

A little creepy, but also kind of inspiring, charming, and humorous. I would totally buy some of those as poster prints, and I would love it if they made a home computer version of the software someday.

It looks like one of the dogs from "The Thing".

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Davinci posted:

I didn't know gypsy was a slur. I just thought it was the regular name for that ethnic group.

In Britain gypsy is more accepted than elsewhere. We even have 'big fat gypsy wedding' reality shows.

Here, 'Pikey' is the main derogatory term for travellers.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
One thing I can honestly say I never thought I'd do was 'share a cracked article in the scary/disturbing thread', but holy poo poo

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1760-5-things-i-learned-infiltrating-deep-web-child-molesters.html

I'm sure some or most of you have seen it already but it's about a lady who chose to go inside the bad parts of the dark web. Some of the quoted forum posts are beyond belief.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

stickyfngrdboy posted:

In Britain gypsy is more accepted than elsewhere. We even have 'big fat gypsy wedding' reality shows.

Here, 'Pikey' is the main derogatory term for travellers.
Irish Travellers and the Roma are two completely separate ethnic groups, aren't they?

Also:

quote:

I'm sure some or most of you have seen it already but it's about a lady who chose to go inside the bad parts of the dark web. Some of the quoted forum posts are beyond belief.

I once ran across a forum for "pedophiles against child abuse." These were men who were sexually attracted to children but committed not to acting on it. It was both sad and creepy - on the one hand, some of them were struggling pretty hard to do the right thing in the face of a terrible obsession. On the other, some of them reeeeally liked sharing (innocent) pics of kids and talking about how "hot" they were.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

pookel posted:

I once ran across a forum for "pedophiles against child abuse." These were men who were sexually attracted to children but committed not to acting on it. It was both sad and creepy - on the one hand, some of them were struggling pretty hard to do the right thing in the face of a terrible obsession. On the other, some of them reeeeally liked sharing (innocent) pics of kids and talking about how "hot" they were.

Read that related article about pedophilia, it pretty much describes how, because we've demonized the disease and urges alone, pedos can't even get real help because of the stigma.

Seriously, it's hosed up and what they do could be monstrous (could, should they act upon their urges), but they literally cannot get help and are basically like TCC members trying to keep each other off the smack, while doing the latest synth chemical, while claiming that because the mechanism is different, it's not a relapse!

And that's the best they are legally protected to do.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Wasabi the J posted:

Read that related article about pedophilia, it pretty much describes how, because we've demonized the disease and urges alone, pedos can't even get real help because of the stigma.

Seriously, it's hosed up and what they do could be monstrous (could, should they act upon their urges), but they literally cannot get help and are basically like TCC members trying to keep each other off the smack, while doing the latest synth chemical, while claiming that because the mechanism is different, it's not a relapse!

And that's the best they are legally protected to do.

MODS: Ban this pedophile apologist forthwith.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Man I seriously hope that's a joke. I know an abused person and they have the most hellish life I could imagine.

If we can do anything to actually prevent that I'm all for it.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

pookel posted:

Irish Travellers and the Roma are two completely separate ethnic groups, aren't they?

Yes, the wikipedia article about them is pretty interesting:

Origins of Irish travellers:

quote:

In 2011 an analysis of DNA from 40 Travellers was undertaken at the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin and the University of Edinburgh. The study provided evidence that Irish Travellers are a distinct Irish ethnic minority, who separated from the settled Irish community at least 1000 years ago; the claim was made that they are as distinct from the settled community as Icelanders are from Norwegians.[28] Even though all families claim ancient origins, not all families of Irish Travellers date back to the same point in time; some families adopted Traveller customs centuries ago, while others did so more recently.[29] It is unclear how many Irish Travellers would be included in this distinct ethnic group at least from a genetic perspective.

Origins of Romani communities

quote:

The linguistic evidence has indisputably shown that roots of Romani language lie in India: the language has grammatical characteristics of Indian languages and shares with them a big part of the basic lexicon, for example, body parts or daily routines.[89]

More exactly, Romani shares the basic lexicon with Hindi and Punjabi. It shares many phonetic features with Marwari, while its grammar is closest to Bengali

quote:

Genetic findings in 2012 suggest the Romani originated in northwest India and migrated as a group.[83][84][95] According to a genetic study in 2012, the ancestors of present scheduled tribes and scheduled caste populations of northern India, traditionally referred to collectively as the Ḍoma, are the likely ancestral populations of modern European Roma.[96] In December 2012, additional findings appeared to confirm the "Roma came from a single group that left northwestern India about 1,500 years ago,"[84] They reached the Balkans about 900 years ago,[83] and then spread throughout Europe. The team found that, despite some isolation, the Roma were "genetically similar to other Europeans."[83][84] The Romani are of Eurasian stock. Many Romani people have South Asian and European admixture.[97]

Genetic research published in European Journal of Human Genetics "has revealed that over 70% of males belong to a single lineage that appears unique to the Roma"[98]

Genetic evidence supports the mediaeval migration from India. The Romani have been described as "a conglomerate of genetically isolated founder populations",[99] while a number of common Mendelian disorders among Romanies from all over Europe indicates "a common origin and founder effect".[99][100] A study from 2001 by Gresham et al. suggests "a limited number of related founders, compatible with a small group of migrants splitting from a distinct caste or tribal group".[101] The same study found that "a single lineage ... found across Romani populations, accounts for almost one-third of Romani males."[101] A 2004 study by Morar et al. concluded that the Romani population "was founded approximately 32–40 generations ago, with secondary and tertiary founder events occurring approximately 16–25 generations ago.

As a continental European, I can confirm that racism in Europe is alive and kicking, mostly because people don't seem to be aware of it. My stereotypical view of racism in America is a white person hating black people and being proud of it. In Europe people will almost never think of themselves as a racist, while at the same time agreeing that gypsies are basically garbage in human form.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Drunk Nerds posted:

we generally wait till the yanks have gone to bed (about 9.30, maybe 10pm on a weekend) before we start talking to each other

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kanonvandekempen posted:

Yes, the wikipedia article about them is pretty interesting:

Origins of Irish travellers:

Origins of Romani communities

As a continental European, I can confirm that racism in Europe is alive and kicking, mostly because people don't seem to be aware of it. My stereotypical view of racism in America is a white person hating black people and being proud of it. In Europe people will almost never think of themselves as a racist, while at the same time agreeing that gypsies are basically garbage in human form.

While that kind of American racism exists, it's much more subtle than that. British racism is usually most well intentioned if bumbling charivaris caricatures of other cultures, sprinkled with a healthy dose of xenophobia. It's not good, but it's so removed from my American life that it doesn't bug me as much, when Top Gear makes jokes about Mexicans and Americans, as it dies when my coworkers say ignorant poo poo about my nation of birth, Mexico.

Americans abhor the idea of racism, but don't recognize racist narratives and bias, like how news about primarily white rioting will be classified as, "protests" or "partiers out of control," but black riots are described in terms of "unrest" "thugs destroying businesses" etc.

Other things include conflating culture with class without acknowledging a stratified society. Racists here genuinely don't generally know they're being racist, they think they're being fairly objective.

Problem is they're usually coming from a position of privilege and don't understand that the poo poo they're saying is patronizing at best, and usually hurtful. "I'm just SAYING..."

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

pookel posted:

They are nothing alike, but unfortunately in the UK they're all considered pikey scum by the kind of people who share racist poo poo on Facebook.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Vladimir Poutine posted:

In a way, the place doesn't really deserve its reputation, since Bunting and Wagner were from Brisbane and Sydney respectively, and they committed most of the murders in the northern fringe of Adelaide. Snowtown was just where the bodies were. Incidentally, that Wiki article has been shortened pretty significantly since the last time I read it. If you really hate yourself, the court transcripts are here: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/sa/SASC/2004/235.html

Text-only but still quite :nms:

The movie (Snowtown) is really harrowing but very well done.

Australian cinema has perfected toxic masculinity. See also "The Boys" based on the Anita Cobby killers.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

kanonvandekempen posted:

Americans are hyperaware of it to the point that, IMO, a lot of American racism comes from a backlash against being told not to be a racist. To this kind of person, who thinks American liberals are ridiculously hypersensitive about race, Europeans represent "more liberal than America" in general, so they assume that Europeans must be even more sensitive. Meanwhile, reasonably non-racist Americans tend to have rose-tinted glasses about Europe and the way in which it is better/more liberal than we are. So a whole lot of us assume that Europe is some kind of post-racial utopia.

I dated a German for a while, and had to school him that it was NOT OK to say the N-word when speaking English, even if those rappers do it on MTV. *facepalm* That and other things that came out of his mouth did a lot to convince me that Europe isn't all that great on race, either.

ETA: Apparently some things are still normal in Britain that sound jaw-droppingly racist to my American ears. In particular, "Red Indian" to distinguish Native Americans from people from India. I read that in a recently published history book!

pookel has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Jun 19, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Normal people in Britain say 'native American', honest.

E: I should maybe point out the 'scare quotes' were intentional

stickyfngrdboy has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Jun 19, 2015

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

pookel posted:

ETA: Apparently some things are still normal in Britain that sound jaw-droppingly racist to my American ears. In particular, "Red Indian" to distinguish Native Americans from people from India. I read that in a recently published history book!

We nearly called one of our sports teams "The Redskins", imagine how crazy that would have been!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

pookel posted:

Back on topic: I was poking around this historical photos site that was posted above (but now I've forgotten what for) and found this bit of history both heartbreaking and creepy. Note: charred, unrecognizable human remains in a photo at the top. Lots of graphic historical photos in side links. Possibly :nws: or :nms: if you are sensitive to photos of death and violence.

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/remains-astronaut-vladimir-komarov-man-fell-space-1967/

RIP, Vladimir Komarov. :ussr:

I know this is a few pages back, but I just want to say this whole site is great. I especially like the picture of the guy refusing to do a Nazi salute. He's literally doing this: :colbert:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

That article seems to be sourced almost entirely from Facebook. I reckon it might pay to wait a bit before making any judgements.

The epistolary story is making a comeback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

There's definitely some shoggoth in there too.