Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's got nothing to do with armour. There are extra phases in the animations that dexterity doesn't have any effect on, lowering it's effective value down to a bit over 2%. 3% still wouldn't do much but the effect is considerably less than that.

This is incorrect.

You might be thinking of interrupts which is a different interaction.

[e]Oh you're referencing that animation transition junk some people on the main forums were arguing about? I thought Sensuki's videos were pretty clear about this and demonstrated there was no animation delay but maybe I'm wrong about that. I remember some guy going nuts over his Matlab scripts in that thread and then vanishing when people found errors or something. Regardless you're talking about single digit frames at that point if true, it is very inconsequential unless you are sperging hard about whether to increase might/dex first.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
3% makes no meaningful difference to combat performance. One extra swing per especially long battle?

Krowley posted:

A nuanced measurement of your character's set of abilities.

Your character's set of abilities are determined by Class, Race, Level, Equipment and Talents. The effect of Attributes on these abilities is extremely limited.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Test against Calisca if you don't believe me, she has 10 dexterity to make it easy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/69/

:lol: Can't make up my mind on this one. Is it really that immersion breaking for non-Americans? (Not an American myself)

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Azran posted:

:lol: Can't make up my mind on this one. Is it really that immersion breaking for non-Americans? (Not an American myself)

code:
- Word change: "rear end" to "arse".
Pro-click right there.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Azran posted:

Alot of those are really nitpicky and antiquated changes, most people I know would use half of those American English spellings rather than technically correct ones. The change to arsehole is funny though

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
For some reason my Durance has started making pain sounds when I tell him to attack an enemy and it's becoming hilarious.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Alot of those are really nitpicky and antiquated changes, most people I know would use half of those American English spellings rather than technically correct ones. The change to arsehole is funny though

Most people you know are uncouth savages.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What the hell happened here? I can make the check for 15 perception but not the 14 perception check? I don't even ...

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Trying to figure out what class I want to play now.

Started as a S&B Fighter at launch, liked it well enough until I met Eder. Suddenly realized that A. Normal is way too easy, and B. I don't need two S&B Fighters.

Started again as a 2Handed Fighter a few days ago, and got to Defiance Bay/questing around Defiance Bay. Thing is, it feels like half a class compared to the tanky Fighter. I got a pull move that seems pretty situational/useless, an AoE move that for some reason pushes everything back so I can't hit them anymore, and 15% passive damage. Compared to Eder who went from "largely unkillable" to straight up "unkillable", it feels a bit one sided.

Decided to make a few Adventurers to check out the other classes.

Rogue seems not my type, and too dependent on situational debuffs for damage.

Ranger seems fun, with Quick Aim applying to melee weapons as well, plus a pet, plus Mark Target, plus the accuracy boost for attacking the same thing as your pet. The only problem I saw is that with the same Constitution as my Fighter, my created Ranger had 100 less Health/Endurance then my Fighter did, which would make things a bit more difficult for me.

Paladin also seems neat, since you get the auras which stack with Pallegina's, a quick heal if you do get targeted, Flames of Devotion if you want single target damage, and a whole bunch of antiCC buffs/general buffs from your devotion.

How is Barbarian? I ran out of cash before I could make one after testing everything else. Might try one of them instead.

precision posted:

That's because 20 is 10 more than 10, whereas 15 is only 5 more than 10. I think you'll find that the difference between 15 and 16 is also not as dramatic as between 10 and 20.

Seriously though, the stat system is pretty good and can be fine tuned to be better in the sequel(s).

If anyone wants to argue that stats should be removed from the game entirely, go nuts but then you're basically just saying you want the game to be something it isn't. May as well argue that pizza should consist of rye bread, sauerkraut and roast beef.

It's less I don't want stats, and more I want the stats to mean something.

Int raises your AoE size, and increases the length of your CC. It's also used often in conversations. This is noticeable and useful throughout the game. I could easily see the range of Aloth's spells growing as I gave him more Int.

Dexterity boosts attack speed/recovery times. I was able to notice this very easily in my current game, where my 2H Fighter with 18 Dex could get two hits off in the time it took Eder to hit once with his 1h sword. Dex is thus noticeable.

I had 16 Might and my damage was maybe 1-2 points higher then Pallegina, with both of us hitting with 2H weapons. On top of that, I was able to easily get 25% free damage from Enchanting my weapon, plus an additional 15% from being a Fighter. This made me question throughout the game if I should have put those points in Might into Con just to have more health, or Perception so I could pass all these Perception checks I keep seeing. I'd say that's a pretty big failure for a stat. I was able to get a similar benefit from the stat ingame with money.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Rookersh posted:

Trying to figure out what class I want to play now...

Some classes need couple of levels to iron their kinks such as Rogue (actually, it is pretty solid from the start) or Monk. Rogue debuff dependancy for sneak attack becomes almost irrelevant around lvl 3 due to plethora of AoE debuffs from other classes. Actually, Rogue pulls ungodly single target damage around lvl 9.

Ranger modals don't affect melee weapons, at all (iirc) so your Drizzit fantasies require...unironically Rogue (Dual Sabres+Hood+Cloak). Rangers are fun, low hurf durf class which is sadly so underwhelming that they barely register in the group.

Paladins got buffed, you can make a undying tank or sort of gimmicky (it requires some per rest abilities and items/paladin orders) two handed dps build or something in between.

Fighters do well on DPS department but they are really much better suited to not dying at all with Sword and Board.

Ciphers got hit by a nerfbat slightly hard but still very powerful and dish out some real punishment.

Barbarian is also fire and forget kinda melee AoE dude that can make your enemies literally poo poo their pants.

Monks are dps monsters that can punch peoples heads clean off. Pro choice if you are a little bit patient and don't have misconceptions from D&D and think them as tanking gods as well.

I suggest giving Rogue another try and playing it cautious during early levels then mudering everything in your path.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Galewolf posted:

I suggest giving Rogue another try and playing it cautious during early levels then mudering everything in your path.

This.

I'll always be a stalwart defender of Rogues, they just kick so much rear end. Yes, they're dependent on situational modifiers, but I don't think I ever had a fight where I couldn't use at least one of them to increase my damage.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

sassassin posted:

3% makes no meaningful difference to combat performance. One extra swing per especially long battle?

Your character's set of abilities are determined by Class, Race, Level, Equipment and Talents. The effect of Attributes on these abilities is extremely limited.

Then you should put more than 1 point in something, or find/enchant your gear to boost it

This is RPG 101 stuff and I'm not sure why it has to be explained

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question: What is it that governs this response from Pallegina? Because I can't figure it out - is it the cruelty modifier? A specific quest I handled poorly? I have no idea.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

double nine posted:

Question: What is it that governs this response from Pallegina? Because I can't figure it out - is it the cruelty modifier? A specific quest I handled poorly? I have no idea.

Maybe the cruel and deceptive points? The trigger may not care that you are spreading out those reputation points, and it just fires because you have some cruel and deceptive points. Not sure.

Galewolf posted:

Monks are dps monsters that can punch peoples heads clean off. Pro choice if you are a little bit patient and don't have misconceptions from D&D and think them as tanking gods as well.

Monks feel a little frail at first but I think that wears off early enough. I think I may reroll mine to make it as strong and quick as possible for a flurry of superjabs.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Test against Calisca if you don't believe me, she has 10 dexterity to make it easy.
Yeah there's like a 1-3 frame transition to attack animation but 0 frame transition to recovery on 2H swords. On a war bow I got 0-1 frame transition time into attack animation and 0 again on transition to recovery. I'd guess the mini frame differences on the transition is simple jitter. I did this using two male humans with dex 10 and dex 20. Nothing is out of the ordinary here and Dex should be working. As a bonus exercise I double checked the 3% math (or 30% in this case at 20 dex) and all the frame counts added up correctly so it's pretty much working as advertised on the two major components.

It would not surprise me if there actually are slightly different frame timings that vary across race/gender etc but everything seems consistent enough across the board that it's safe to conclude dex is working as advertised, or maybe it's better to say as well as it's going to behave with their frame based approach.

double nine posted:

In my non-expert run it would usually tell me what disposition level triggered what when people talked to me. If you normally get that stuff and didn't get it here, I'd guess it were a quest? It could just be typical Pallagina weirdness.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 19, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Monks feel a little frail at first but I think that wears off early enough. I think I may reroll mine to make it as strong and quick as possible for a flurry of superjabs.
I've noticed more than a few players are hesitant to put armor on their monks, likely due to A/D&D expectations. I usually have mine in medium armor, heavy if I find I'm accumulating Wounds faster than I can practically make use of them.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

double nine posted:

Cruel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itt0rALeHE8

rope kid fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 19, 2015

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

rope kid posted:

I've noticed more than a few players are hesitant to put armor on their monks, likely due to A/D&D expectations. I usually have mine in medium armor, heavy if I find I'm accumulating Wounds faster than I can practically make use of them.

To be honest, no armor thing is what makes monks "cool" and seperate from fighters who punch things for me (and probably for everyone else). Putting armor on your monk kinda defeats the purpose of kicking rear end without relying weapons or armor kinda defeats the purpose. I am and will be a sucker for Scarlet Brotherhood Monks of Greyhawk:

:goonsay:

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Is there any way to get out of Engaged without taking the opportunity attack?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

KillerQueen posted:

Is there any way to get out of Engaged without taking the opportunity attack?
Interrupts and many forms of CC break engagement. Also a couple of class abilities.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Also quite a few items that give +defense against disengagement.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

rope kid posted:

I felt terribly sad when I realised that my monk couldn't both rock some Ixamitl clothing and survive for more than a couple seconds at a time.

Style had to bow to practicality. A tragic day.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
But then an amazing day once you get the spin kick and then it's St Patrick's Day when you get the blink strike. Monks are great.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

This is pretty subjective but...does the game pick up steam at all?

To keep this short, I find that I'm completely unmotivated to keep playing because it's just me, without a single companion, and I keep having to skip encounters because I'm hopelessly outmatched. Can someone at least tell me that this will change relatively shortly? I've only played a total of maybe an hour and a half but I just don't find it interesting without at least one other party member to hold my attention in conversations and help out in fights.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

fennesz posted:

This is pretty subjective but...does the game pick up steam at all?

To keep this short, I find that I'm completely unmotivated to keep playing because it's just me, without a single companion, and I keep having to skip encounters because I'm hopelessly outmatched. Can someone at least tell me that this will change relatively shortly? I've only played a total of maybe an hour and a half but I just don't find it interesting without at least one other party member to hold my attention in conversations and help out in fights.

You can get four of them as soon as you reach the village.

Go rest in the tavern. You'll get the elf. Go visit the spirit at the tree. You'll get the fighter. Travel south, then east. Follow the road. The priest is at the shrine in the center of the map. Go east to reach the entrance of the Stronghold. The bard will be there. Now you can go backtrack and do all the quests in the village.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'm honestly surprised you've managed to avoid picking up extra party members for one and a half hours.

Really, all you've got to do is do the tutorial dungeon, follow the road to Gilded Vale, sleep in the inn, do the plot thing that comes up. That alone will give you a Wizard and a Fighter companion. Two more (Priest and Chanter) can be picked up nearby - see OP for details - and you can always hire an adventurer in any inn.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
We had a guy on another forum who decided to do all the quests in the log in reverse order as soon as he hit Gilded Vale. He figured you should do tasks first so he went hours of frustration before finally posting and realizing he should have slept at the inn to get access to party members. This definitely seems to be A Thing I guess!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Nycticeius posted:

code:
- Word change: "rear end" to "arse".
Pro-click right there.

Well, 'Immersion' for me is meaningless nonsense that is used to quibble about anything, but I can get behind this change. I think I fell in love with Baldur's Gate around "My hotel is as clean as an elven *arse*".

"Defense" annoys me too, and this seems like a fairly harmless mod, I'm going for it when the expansion comes around.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rascyc posted:

We had a guy on another forum who decided to do all the quests in the log in reverse order as soon as he hit Gilded Vale. He figured you should do tasks first so he went hours of frustration before finally posting and realizing he should have slept at the inn to get access to party members. This definitely seems to be A Thing I guess!

I must admit, the sleep in the inn to progress the main quest thing isn't very obvious. I have no idea how he missed the elf, though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So, I was going to start my first game of Pillers of Eternity, but I'm really feeling overwhelmed by the choices at the start before I even get to play. I don't really know what is a good starting build or class, seeing as I haven't played before, but I'm being asked to make all of these choices about my character right off the bat.

What's a good class, race, whatever for someone who's never played one of these sorts of games before?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Fighter is probably a good way to go, tough and buff with (I think?) the least micromanagement of any class. Best spellcaster if you're into that is probably the Cipher, they have unlimited casts as long as you have enough power, and you charge power with physical attacks. For all the race/background options just go with whatever looks or sounds cool. Put points in Athletics when you level up otherwise your characters will start yawning at you constantly.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So, I stopped reading the thread for a while due to the wall of endless spoilers, and mostly came back to say I'm disappointed.

I've just completed the Endless Paths, and everything I'd heard from everyone previously had said this would be a huge challenge. I'm on normal, the Adra Dragon and his mooks was a complete pushover. My group wasn't maxxed out although it was close, with dudes ranging from lv10 to lv12. Had a pretty standard party, my rogue and Eder, Durance, Kana, Hirivias, and Aloth. It was a straight up fight with no preparation since I honestly didn't expect him to come stomping out of the darkness, but the battle was over relatively quick, and none of my characters ended up taking more than like 10% damage. I thought everyone said this fight was supposed to kick my rear end? Fighting the ghosts two floors previous had been way more of a challenge, I actually lost people to two of those fights!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Nitrousoxide posted:

So, I was going to start my first game of Pillers of Eternity, but I'm really feeling overwhelmed by the choices at the start before I even get to play. I don't really know what is a good starting build or class, seeing as I haven't played before, but I'm being asked to make all of these choices about my character right off the bat.

What's a good class, race, whatever for someone who's never played one of these sorts of games before?

Wood elf Cipher. Pick labourer background for the mechanics and take that up to 10 or 11, athletics and stealth to 3. Take biting whip at lvl 2, extra focus at lvl 4 and then draining whip at lvl 6. Alpha strike with a pistol/blunderbuss and then switch to dual sabres/stilettos. Max intelligence and then either max might, 15 might/dex, or 15 might/resolve for persuade options.

Spell picks:
1 - whisper of treason, eyestrike
2 - mental binding
3 - ectopsychic echo
4 - mind lance, pain block
5 - tactical meld, ringleader
6 - amplified wave

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 20, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

GlyphGryph posted:

So, I stopped reading the thread for a while due to the wall of endless spoilers, and mostly came back to say I'm disappointed.

I've just completed the Endless Paths, and everything I'd heard from everyone previously had said this would be a huge challenge. I'm on normal, the Adra Dragon and his mooks was a complete pushover. My group wasn't maxxed out although it was close, with dudes ranging from lv10 to lv12. Had a pretty standard party, my rogue and Eder, Durance, Kana, Hirivias, and Aloth. It was a straight up fight with no preparation since I honestly didn't expect him to come stomping out of the darkness, but the battle was over relatively quick, and none of my characters ended up taking more than like 10% damage. I thought everyone said this fight was supposed to kick my rear end? Fighting the ghosts two floors previous had been way more of a challenge, I actually lost people to two of those fights!
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it never used its breath attack.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I thought everyone having issues with that fight was attempting it on PotD, where the stat boosts push the monster to nigh-unhittable status :confused:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Excelzior posted:

I thought everyone having issues with that fight was attempting it on PotD, where the stat boosts push the monster to nigh-unhittable status :confused:

If the fight doesn't open with your entire party wiping it's really easy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Rascyc posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it never used its breath attack.

I think it did. But he never actually hit my dudes with it. What's it range? I expected him to be tough, so the first half of the fight was how I begin all the fights that look tough - me falling back and just sending summons (blights/shades/beetles/wurms/dragons) after it to tie it up while my priest and druid and mage were getting their boosts and buffs and debuffs set up and everyone else was plinking it with ranged attacks. How long is the range on it's breath attack? I do know it wiped out all my summons once or twice and I had to pull new ones. Once all that was done, he seemed pretty trivial to lock down with my stunning weapons, knockdown, grease, and slumber.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rascyc posted:

To be fair, some people are used to RPGs functioning like Skyrim where companions are pack mules at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
You shouldn't be playing on Normal.

• Locked thread