Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That's a bummer, turning into a crazy mushroom man was how I wanted to wrap up my old save. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Is there a list of what Map Icons mean?

I just found a odd looking base that shows up as Pink X's on the map.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

Is there a list of what Map Icons mean?

I just found a odd looking base that shows up as Pink X's on the map.

You should be able to move your cursor around the map and it will tell you what the icon under it means.

I suspect that is a hazardous waste sarcophagus.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Heavy Survivor Set + Survivor Hood. All lined with kevlar. Plus assorted elbow pads and such worn to avoid stacking penalties on encumbrance. If this isn't enough to protect me against the bullets from the Science Lab turrets, I don't know what will.

Edit: Turns out you can't wear the Hood with the Heavy Survivor Helmet. Oh well. Carrying on.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 20, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Artificer posted:

Hmmm. I'm supposing a set of Heavy Survivor Armor, boots, and such is sufficient? I COULD line it with more Kevlar.

A full set of light survivor armour with knee and elbow pads and a kevlar vest is enough to face-tank the sort of turrets you find in labs - in fact, I think the light survivor armour alone would do the trick, but I can't attest to it with personal experience.

Also don't forget to check the temperature after you enter - some labs are refrigerated or outright frozen, making spelunking in them difficult as hell.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tehan posted:

A full set of light survivor armour with knee and elbow pads and a kevlar vest is enough to face-tank the sort of turrets you find in labs - in fact, I think the light survivor armour alone would do the trick, but I can't attest to it with personal experience.

Also don't forget to check the temperature after you enter - some labs are refrigerated or outright frozen, making spelunking in them difficult as hell.

Oh. Well I guess I'm going in super safe then.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Electrohacks do very little good in labs, as they don't actually work on computers.

Bring a way to smash a reinforced glass window. If your computer skill is below 6 or 7, upgrade that to a way to smash or cut a metal door. The glass window thing is because even with perfect hacking skill you can't get into the barracks, because the console you need to access to get to the backroom is locked behind the door it unlocks. :downs:

Bring a sewing kit if your plan for turrets doesn't involve one-shotting them the turn you see them. Maybe bring one anyways. Don't bother bringing rags, there are tons of blankets and discarded clothes to cut up.

Most importantly, you didn't mention a light source, so uh, bring one of those. Flashlight is fine, night vision is better.

Have a plan for looting: going up to torso encumbrance 2 isn't too bad even on a melee character, just have the skills to compensate. A shopping cart or vehicle left at the entrance is probably the best solution, though.

Can an electric jackhammer or acetylene torch get past a reinforced glass window? I don't think so, right? I need to find some explosives, maybe...

Edit: poo poo, double post.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 20, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Artificer posted:

Can an electric jackhammer or acetylene torch get past a reinforced glass window?

In addition to jackhammers, you can also use a fusion blaster, just make sure you're well out of the blast radius. Match-head bombs might also do the trick.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Artificer posted:

Can an electric jackhammer or acetylene torch get past a reinforced glass window? I don't think so, right? I need to find some explosives, maybe...

Edit: poo poo, double post.

Depending on your strength it could be possible to sledgehammer reinforced glass windows. If you've got hydraulic muscles it'd definitely be possible.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Mzbundifund posted:

What ARE the ways to smash or cut a metal door? Do I need explosives or can I build some sort of super sledgehammer thing?

The Sonic Resonator is particularly effective and cheap to use. As a bonus it also breaks reinforced glass.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there an easy way to craft lots of 'reversible' items at once? It really sucks to craft, say, lots of hard plating because you have to make a shitload of lumps, and it doesn't let you use the batch feature.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Hammer the 'repeat last crafted' button - it's hyphen by default, IIRC.

Though in that specific scenario, you're probably better off approaching it from the other direction, by disassembling the steel frames off the closest car.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
The only fast way is to use craft last item over and over, I think it's '-' and just blast through.

e: they're making hard plating, though

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tehan posted:

Hammer the 'repeat last crafted' button - it's hyphen by default, IIRC.

Though in that specific scenario, you're probably better off approaching it from the other direction, by disassembling the steel frames off the closest car.

I only have a tiny solar van. I can't really lug a shitload of steel back home quite yet. I do have a helicopter's wreck worth of chunks though. Kinda trying to get rid of it all.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

nftyw posted:

e: they're making hard plating, though

Steel frames disassemble into steel lumps, which are what you use to make hard plating.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the heck do you refill the water tanks on a vehicle?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Larry Parrish posted:

How the heck do you refill the water tanks on a vehicle?

Select them in the vehicle view and 'f'ill them. You need clean water in your inventory.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I have been having tonnes of fun with Mutant starts. Can anyone provide some good ones they have done?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Can't you batch craft and choose how many items you want to make?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Not items that can then be dissasembled back into component parts, for whatever reason

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I shot a thermobaric rocket into a military bunker, watched the flames consume the whole thing, and then immediately died to the last, extremely damaged turret on the first turn I saw it. At least it's outside the only city I seem to spawn in.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Wouldn't you have destroyed just about anything useful in the fire?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carcer posted:

Wouldn't you have destroyed just about anything useful in the fire?

The actual useful stuff is downstairs, remember.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tehan posted:

It emphatically is not enough by itself. You probably won't get killed, but you'll be taking damage every time. With a heavy suit it all just bounces off unless you're incredibly unlucky, and you can layer other stuff over it if you want to be sure.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Larry Parrish posted:

I shot a thermobaric rocket into a military bunker, watched the flames consume the whole thing, and then immediately died to the last, extremely damaged turret on the first turn I saw it. At least it's outside the only city I seem to spawn in.

I survived nearly an entire season from a mall cop start (By re-murdering the entire mall), cleared an entire (not ice) lab, had a nice little deathmobile...

Then got one-shotted in the head by a turret in a military bunker the moment I opened it. :negative:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Is it possible to use / apply items in adjacent spaces? I got a mission to analyse blood at the hospital and I found the centrifuge but can't seem to do anything with it. I have the vial of zombie blood.

e: Nevermind, was supposed to use the console next to it :v:

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

I've done a lot of stupid poo poo in Cataclysm. I punched mi-gos and moose to death with my bare hands. I let out a shoggoth to see if I could kill it (massed Sniper FAL fire does the trick). I rammed a flaming eye with a car. I rammed tank drones with a car. I rammed a chicken walker with a car.

I still don't gently caress with military turrets. Just use a card on the door, it's 1000x easier. :v: Unless you've got an optic cloak or the stealth CBM, in which case you can just Molly Millions your way in and then use a hacking laptop a few times. Then disable the remaining turrets and you should get a shitload of 5.56 ammo and M4s.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dareon posted:

I survived nearly an entire season from a mall cop start (By re-murdering the entire mall), cleared an entire (not ice) lab, had a nice little deathmobile...

Then got one-shotted in the head by a turret in a military bunker the moment I opened it. :negative:

I think the worst part is I came across myself pretty quick, but I failed to butcher my integrated toolset CBM and saved every single other one. This better be one freaking good bunker.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Some extra care need to be taken with outposts, they can have automated spotlights that light you up for the turrets to see and fire at.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Goddamn, the morale penalty for wanton murder does not gently caress around. -100 from killing an innocent.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Does anyone know how the damage vs. armor (and in particular, armor-piercing) formula works? I'm trying to figure out what should be enough protection to completely negate a milspec turret opening up on you, but I can't figure it out by observation alone.

It can't be that armor-piercing goes through all armor non-negotiably, because regular lab turrets use 9mm rounds and those still have an armor-piercing value of 2. But it can't be a simple bonus against armored targets, either, because milspec turrets use 5.56 NATO rounds which have 40 damage + 8 armor piercing + 4 bonus damage from the M4 carbine stats, which is still less than the 70 cutting protection offered by a heavy survivor suit.

(If turrets have weapon skills and ranged weapon skills affect penetration that might invalidate what I just said, but I'm pretty sure ranged weapon skill only affects accuracy and other peripheral stats, not direct damage.)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Military turrets do not gently caress around. I happened upon an outpost at night and was able to snipe the turrets from afar. Before I took the last one down, I watched it catch sight of a soldier zombie wandering around a corner and loving gib it with a close-ranged burst.

Don't gently caress with military turrets.

re: Cryo labs, a thermoelectric suit (the full-body one) with fur lining has 0 encumbrance and like 100 warmth when active, covers every body part, and is worn close to the skin so it doesn't interfere with armour or storage clothing at all. One of those, nomad gear, a fur coat, and various armour+socks+gloves had me overheating slightly until I reached the really deep floors where it was negative fifty billion trillion degrees.

I imagine if I lined it with wool too, it would be warm enough to help me defeat even the deepest ice labs. I do recommend a UPS conversion for long delves though.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

Military turrets do not gently caress around. I happened upon an outpost at night and was able to snipe the turrets from afar. Before I took the last one down, I watched it catch sight of a soldier zombie wandering around a corner and loving gib it with a close-ranged burst.

re: Cryo labs, a thermoelectric suit (the full-body one) with fur lining has 0 encumbrance and like 100 warmth when active, covers every body part, and is worn close to the skin so it doesn't interfere with armour or storage clothing at all. One of those, nomad gear, a fur coat, and various armour+socks+gloves had me overheating slightly until I reached the really deep floors where it was negative fifty billion trillion degrees.

I imagine if I lined it with wool too, it would be warm enough to help me defeat even the deepest ice labs. I do recommend a UPS conversion for long delves though.

If you don't have the UPS conversion bionic and don't want to waste batteries, the an extra battery mod+rechargable battery mod combo is more than enough to last a whole ice lab.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I don't seem to remember getting a morale penalty for going Mad Max on a couple random NPCs with a stolen RV.

Highly recommended, btw. You get all their stuff in perfect condition.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angry Diplomat posted:

The first turret I ran into didn't actually hurt me, but it shredded my fullmod thermoelectric suit. I hate my life.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The sorting order of your clothing is important -- wear that kind of stuff under your armor. (Which is to say, above it on the list.)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Does anyone know how the damage vs. armor (and in particular, armor-piercing) formula works? I'm trying to figure out what should be enough protection to completely negate a milspec turret opening up on you, but I can't figure it out by observation alone.

It can't be that armor-piercing goes through all armor non-negotiably, because regular lab turrets use 9mm rounds and those still have an armor-piercing value of 2. But it can't be a simple bonus against armored targets, either, because milspec turrets use 5.56 NATO rounds which have 40 damage + 8 armor piercing + 4 bonus damage from the M4 carbine stats, which is still less than the 70 cutting protection offered by a heavy survivor suit.

(If turrets have weapon skills and ranged weapon skills affect penetration that might invalidate what I just said, but I'm pretty sure ranged weapon skill only affects accuracy and other peripheral stats, not direct damage.)

Before it checks armor, the bullet gets a damage bonus based on the shooter's accuracy roll. A headshot does up to 3.75x damage (depending on RNG), or a non-headshot critical hit can do up to 2.3x.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Funny thing about that is, despite being at the very top of the list. My underwear gets damaged all the time. But yeah, generally it works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Funny thing about that is, despite being at the very top of the list. My underwear gets damaged all the time. But yeah, generally it works pretty well.

Yeah I notice it's totally random what gets damaged. I just think union suits/thermoelectric suits get damaged really easily so it fails the roll to not take damage more often or something. I notice it happens with lovely non-armor clothes underneath real armor just as often.