Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

I put Joanna in the same category as Ronda and DMMMMMJ, where they have elite tools in relatively new divisions that will keep them on top until they retire or leave their primes.

I don't see the gap as being quite that big for Joanna, yet, certainly not Ronda-sized. Joanna had a competitive fight with Gadelha and while I don't think Penne has poo poo for her, I think she'll have real challengers. I dunno much about Aguilar, but if she gets by Gadelha, I'd expect that to be a good match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Shadow225 posted:

I put Joanna in the same category as Ronda and DMMMMMJ, where they have elite tools in relatively new divisions that will keep them on top until they retire or leave their primes.
Sort of. Flyweight is a new division but Demetrious Johnson's peers have elite tools too they are just a half-step behind him. Like Benavidez and Dodson are elite bantamweights fighting at flyweight and the rest of the division is mostly competent as well.

I'm not trying to discredit your point I just feel that it undervalues what Mighty Mouse is actually doing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The best part, which I didn't notice the first time, was when Carla tries to fake a takedown to set up some punches, and just eats another really hard right hand.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bubba Smith posted:

Sort of. Flyweight is a new division but Demetrious Johnson's peers have elite tools too they are just a half-step behind him. Like Benavidez and Dodson are elite bantamweights fighting at flyweight and the rest of the division is mostly competent as well.

I'm not trying to discredit your point I just feel that it undervalues what Mighty Mouse is actually doing.

i was going to say something similar. it is unfair to compare flyweight with either of the women's divisions and dj is one of the finest fighters alive

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If you want to be able to enjoy that fight without feeling bad just watch the tuf season, particularly anytime Carla is in the same room as felice herrig, or when she's bitchy at all around sweetheat Randa Markos because she dared to win her fight against Felice.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Is there a GDT for Ufc Berlin already?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

eine dose socken posted:

Is there a GDT for Ufc Berlin already?

Yep

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726686

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Watching one dimensional wrestlers fight keeps me humble about how I'd actually fare in a punchsport match

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Thanks! Guess I overlooked it somehow.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Le Saboteur posted:

Carla gassing out at 4 minutes into the 1st round is some champion level cardio. She hadn't even begun to get tagged yet.

can't get over how ridiculous she looks even before the fight starts. the hair and ring attire. loving hell.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

ICHIBAHN posted:

can't get over how ridiculous she looks even before the fight starts. the hair and ring attire. loving hell.

Its just so clear where the turn is in the fight to just a beat down. Carla takes a deep breath at 4 mins into 1st and immediately gets staggered with a big right.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

double negative posted:

I don't see the gap as being quite that big for Joanna, yet, certainly not Ronda-sized. Joanna had a competitive fight with Gadelha and while I don't think Penne has poo poo for her, I think she'll have real challengers. I dunno much about Aguilar, but if she gets by Gadelha, I'd expect that to be a good match.

Aguilar is about as good as Esparza and won a decision against her that she really should have lost. Because it's WMMA this made Aguilar think she was #1

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I don't follow Bellator at all, so this is an FYI for folks who largely don't follow b-league MMA at all. I found by going through my cable guide that right now, on Spike, is a card that features a headliner fight between Kimbo and Ken Shamrock. I'm expecting something that makes Kimbo/Alexander look like Mighty Mouse/Dodson in comparison. I am going to watch it, and you should not. God protect me.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

I don't follow Bellator at all, so this is an FYI for folks who largely don't follow b-league MMA at all. I found by going through my cable guide that right now, on Spike, is a card that features a headliner fight between Kimbo and Ken Shamrock. I'm expecting something that makes Kimbo/Alexander look like Mighty Mouse/Dodson in comparison. I am going to watch it, and you should not. God protect me.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3570181

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tesilential posted:

Werdum literally predicted that he would beat Cain due to him not being prepared for the altitude and said as much after the fight.

yea, well i havent seen the fight yet but it makes a massive difference. ive raced at altitude. u feel like poo poo. i was even up there for 2 weeks before

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
sry that post is like 4 pages back. qq

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.
don't watch fights

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

don't self suck

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Eat This Glob posted:

don't self suck

Ban this fucker

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Joanna is loving awesome jesus christ

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Like holy poo poo I can't recall a female in any division with the striking she has. The way she switches up levels and some of those combinations...:stare:

She's on the must watch list.

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

how bad was the beating I missed it

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

POTATO IN MY ANUS posted:

very bad

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

You know how Penne's nose looks like a great target for Joanna's elbows and kicks?

It is.

After the second round when they pulled the fighters apart I thought "oh wow Joanna is bleeding?" but then I realized with horror that it was all Penne's blood.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

You know how Penne's nose looks like a great target for Joanna's elbows and kicks?

It is.

After the second round when they pulled the fighters apart I thought "oh wow Joanna is bleeding?" but then I realized with horror that it was all Penne's blood.

The Carlos Condit school of getting drenched in the blood of your enemies

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just watched a highlight reel :barf:

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Same reaction I had to yours

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Seeing Joanna throw combinations is a pure pleasure to watch, but I must admit seeing their aftermath is a bit cringeworthy sometimes.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Somebody pointed out Joanna's lack of a kicking game in the Esparza fight back in March. I was really glad to see her doing more of that today. Seriously, some of those combinations were Condit level beautiful.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was fun watching her react to Penne's Turtle-Fu by kind of kicking her in the rear end out of irritation and then just going away until she got up.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
loving hell, I love Joanna Champion. love her fights. love her interviews. she's amazing. in the second round when Penne's face was getting turned into porridge I thought of two things, first of all, the poster who hoped Joanna would give her a nose reconstruction in the fight. good call. second of all I thought of Penne calling her Golum, having a pop at her looks, after breaking down in tears on TUF when talking about people insulting her because of her looks. get hosed Penne.

someone captured Joanna rubbing her belly before the fight began, right?

without spoilers if possible, rest of the show / prelims worth watching?

ICHIBAHN fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 21, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Got a link? Unless it was on TV I guess.

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

Memento posted:

Got a link? Unless it was on TV I guess.

http://streamable.com/aadw from reddit

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

daaaang

GRBass
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDGIQe-2_w0
Jonas Bilharinho, the guy Jose is using to emulate McGregor.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

ICHIBAHN posted:

loving hell, I love Joanna Champion. love her fights. love her interviews. she's amazing. in the second round when Penne's face was getting turned into porridge I thought of two things, first of all, the poster who hoped Joanna would give her a nose reconstruction in the fight. good call. second of all I thought of Penne calling her Golum, having a pop at her looks, after breaking down in tears on TUF when talking about people insulting her because of her looks. get hosed Penne.

someone captured Joanna rubbing her belly before the fight began, right?

without spoilers if possible, rest of the show / prelims worth watching?

I said something like that nosejob comment earlier and 100% agree. Penne was so awful in TUF, and her catty pre fight comment cemented that it wasn't just reality tv editing making her seem that way. Glad Joanna dominated both her and Carla.

Now if Joanna rrearranged the face of Randa Markos or something I'd just feel depressed.

As for the rest of the main card ehhh not really

mewse
May 2, 2006

Joanne vs Namajunas will be like two blenders fighting each other

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

mewse posted:

Joanne vs Namajunas will be like two blenders fighting each other

That would be an awesome fight, no lovely take down attempts or lying belly-up like a dead roach. Just pure brawling

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Cuckoo posted:

That would be an awesome fight, no lovely take down attempts or lying belly-up like a dead roach. Just pure brawling

And after Rose would save money on pain meds by just using Pat's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Yeah, unless Rose catches a batshit flying submission early she probably gets tuned up pretty bad against JJ. Her striking is fun but nowhere near on that level based on what we've seen.

• Locked thread