Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

1redflag posted:

Similarly, the degradation of Batman's costume as the night's progress in the various Arkham games. My only complaint is that they seem to be tied to story progress alone rather than actual game performance (I.e. if you do well, the cape and cowl still get cut up even if you've been a completely stealthy bastard).

In Asylum at least, the damage to his costume is always sustained during cut scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Away all Goats posted:

In Asylum at least, the damage to his costume is always sustained during cut scenes.

You always see what caused it. Either he's caught in an explosion, or he gets shot, or a villain gets in one good punch during a cutscene, or something like that.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
To add to Arkham Asylum and City, I love how both games take place over the course of a single night each.

Like, you go around saving the city and beating up nearly the entirety of Batman's assorted rogues gallery, and that was just a loving Thursday evening for Bats.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Must have been a loooong night too, since Batman also solved all of the Riddler's challenges. He even had time to do a couple dozen of them when he was deadly ill, instead of rushing for Talia al Ghul's help.

That could have been just my playthrough though :v:

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:01 on Jun 19, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I never understood where he got the energy, but then again, I guess Bruce Wayne doesn't really do much during the day.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I never understood where he got the energy, but then again, I guess Bruce Wayne doesn't really do much during the day.

He pretty much just sits around eating ice cream and bread to calorie load.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's also something I liked about Half-Life 2. The game takes place over the course of about two days, which you can see by just, like, looking at the sun while you're playing. It starts in the late morning, and by the time Gordon escapes the city night has fallen. He spends all night in Ravenholm and the sun is coming up just as you leave. Then by the time he has traveled along the coast to Nova Prospekt the sun has gone down again. After that though Gordon and Alyx take the teleporter which sets them forward a few days, but still I think it's kind of cool that they took into account that the game's events happen in real time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

1stGear posted:

He pretty much just sits around eating ice cream and bread to calorie load.

Fifth game should be Batman: Daytime, and it's a themed version of Cook, Serve, Delicious.

EDIT: Batman: Justice, Served; Delicious!

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

CJacobs posted:

That's also something I liked about Half-Life 2. The game takes place over the course of about two days, which you can see by just, like, looking at the sun while you're playing. It starts in the late morning, and by the time Gordon escapes the city night has fallen. He spends all night in Ravenholm and the sun is coming up just as you leave. Then by the time he has traveled along the coast to Nova Prospekt the sun has gone down again. After that though Gordon and Alyx take the teleporter which sets them forward a few days, but still I think it's kind of cool that they took into account that the game's events happen in real time.

Even cooler is that from the beginning of Half Life 1 to the end of episode 2 you control every second of Gordon Freeman's time while conscious (only omitting times where he's seeming missing from earth).

Also even when he's fighting the combine at White Forest Black Mesa wasn't even a week ago for him.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

I only just noticed this, but in Splatoon the Squid Sisters' names:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1f2sEJa1e0

are Callie and Marie.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

turnways posted:

I only just noticed this, but in Splatoon the Squid Sisters' names:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1f2sEJa1e0

are Callie and Marie.

If you don't get it (and it took me a while and seeing a friend mention their names in a twitch chat), calimari.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Freedom Planet, a 16-bit Sonic-like game you can get on Steam is pretty great. The platforming is all about speed and the bosses are fun. It's fully voice acted, multiple playable characters with their own story sequence and the ability to play just the stages without cutscenes.

It's my favorite Sonic game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pidmon posted:

If you don't get it (and it took me a while and seeing a friend mention their names in a twitch chat), calimari.

Now try "Booyah Base" :v:.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

TontoCorazon posted:

Witcher 3

Geralt's beard actually grows back after a while. Though that was cool as poo poo.

A certain plot-important lady complimented Geralt on growing out his beard even tho' I just had it shaved off. It was kind of jarring

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

aardwolf posted:

A certain plot-important lady complimented Geralt on growing out his beard even tho' I just had it shaved off. It was kind of jarring

Weird. Usually if you've got the clean shaven face she comments on that instead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The game is usually good at keeping track of that stuff but sometimes it does mess up.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Yeah. There's only one barber in the Totally Not Vikings isles and I had just visited him before starting the next plot quest. It stood out because it seemed like the kind of detail the writers pick up on.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Fifth game should be Batman: Daytime, and it's a themed version of Cook, Serve, Delicious.

EDIT: Batman: Justice, Served; Delicious!

Not a fan of Batman overall but I would play this if he kept the whole costume on for it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

And if he prefixed every kitchen appliance or tool with bat. "Use the batknife to chop up the cucumber to go into the greek salad.!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lord Lambeth posted:

And if he prefixed every kitchen appliance or tool with bat. "Use the batknife to chop up the cucumber to go into the greek salad.!"

At that point they should just give in and have Adam West voice it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Far Cry 4 has an option to turn off the loot animations :swoon:

Sad lions posted:

Also even when he's fighting the combine at White Forest Black Mesa wasn't even a week ago for him.

Oh man I never thought of this. Gordon's had a hard life. :smith:

Al Cu Ad Solte has a new favorite as of 09:10 on Jun 21, 2015

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Oh man I never thought of this. Gordon's had a hard life. :smith:

Well, not so much a hard life as a bad week.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now try "Booyah Base" :v:.

The game is wall to wall puns. I love it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wall to wall... YOU loving

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

The shopkeepers are all puns too!

The puns are just perfect

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I bought and finished The Talos Principle as a result of the steam sale. There were some genuinely emotional text passages and audio logs.

One of the plotlines in the game, is that all of the humans are dead via some kind of plague. One of the text dumps you find is of instructions for how best to let your pets go before you die. :smith:

The final few audio logs of the game are of the last researcher, who gave up everything for this project she has no idea if it will work or not, panicking that it may not, and then finally accepting death. it's hard to explain, but the voice actress sells the tone perfectly.

Also, the ending was simultaneously everything I expected it to be, and everything I wanted it to be.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The Talos Principle is great. Unfortunately, you missed a giveaway for a DLC which changes Elohim's voice to that of Serious Sam. It's great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inco posted:

The Talos Principle is great. Unfortunately, you missed a giveaway for a DLC which changes Elohim's voice to that of Serious Sam. It's great.

Oh my god :allears:. The only way they could top that is the Stanley Parable narrator.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I love in GTAV I can do poo poo like this:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Now that I've complained about The Witcher 3 in every thread I could, I think I need to point out some positives:
- let's get the obvious out of the way - the game is really pretty, characters are detailed and every weapon and piece of armour has its own model that displays on Geralt (it is too bad that there are very few non-story related NPCs models, so you'll end up seeing clones very quickly)
- although sometimes the bit of post facto narration doesn't seem necessary, I like how non-momentous your decisions are: they are mostly on the personal level - you might decide how you'd like for the situation to unfold, but in the end you're unimportant and the most you can influence is the situation of yourself and your immediate family/friends
- although it can be wonky, the quest having levels assigned to them mean I know what I can reasonably finish now and if it's still in the immediate level range for the purposes of XP gain.
- I've defeated both Olaf of Skellige and Master of Masters and although that was hardly a fair fight (it's a good thing the toxicity effects are only cosmetic, or else the villagers might suspect I'm juicing) and those were good fights
- there are a lot of options to sidestep the combat system's shortcomings, but my favourite is using the alternate Quen sign (enemies fight for you) which doesn't break if the enemy is attacked and whacking the enemy, ten swings and repeat - no matter how strong the enemy, as long as I can Quen it it will die, too bad it doesn't always work.

Edit: Axii, not Quen, though Quen is good, too.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jun 22, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Szurumbur posted:

- there are a lot of options to sidestep the combat system's shortcomings, but my favourite is using the alternate Quen Axii sign (enemies fight for you) which doesn't break if the enemy is attacked and whacking the enemy, ten swings and repeat - no matter how strong the enemy, as long as I can Quen Axii it it will die, too bad it doesn't always work

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Ah, right, although Quen and the alternate Quen does removes most of the need for healing, so they're really useful as well.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 12:35 on Jun 23, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Far Cry 4 has an option to turn off the loot animations :swoon:

...are you loving kidding me?
I spent so many hours getting 100% on that game and the repetitious animations were my one huge gripe.
gently caress.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Freedom Planet is really pretty. But more importantly it's one of the only throwback platformers that has all of the little details that made older platformers enjoyable, there are so many unique animations or stage specific interactables. Like this is what you see if you grab on to a rail while still having the vehicle powerup.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

TontoCorazon posted:

I love in GTAV I can do poo poo like this:

Your favorite thing about playing a video game is that you can sit on Ikea furniture and get high?

How much did you like Inception on a scale of 1 to 1

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I picked up Gauntlet 2014. Playing as the wizard made the game so fun to play. The wizard could handle large groups solo once you learned the combos thanks to the 9 abilities based on 3 element pairs(ex: ice and fire, ice and lightning, ice and ice, fire and ice, etc.)with different cooldowns. The hard mode tome the wizard gets looks really cool too. It's a globe of light instead of a spellbook.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

E-- You're dead right. Apologies.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Jun 23, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I think you're in the wrong thread, dude.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

mind the walrus posted:

I started playing Arkham Knight and I am so disappointed. Like, disappointed enough that I feel compelled to write about it instead of go the gently caress to sleep like a healthy person.

It's not a bad game and it's obviously suffering from the weight of two great prior installments-- "third in the trilogy is the weakest" rule is in full effect here--but even giving Arkham Knight all the benefits of the doubt and my own bias I'm amazed at how annoyed I am by this game. If I hadn't gotten it as part of a "free" download bundle alongside Witcher 3 with my new GPU I'd be looking for a refund.

To start, here's the biggest problem-- the writing. It sucks. It sucks on toast. It is absolutely everything you picture when you picture a hack superhero story. There are oodles of dialogue that should have been trimmed and the VAs are clearly trying to work around. Cliche conventions and lines of dialogue abound in the worst ways possible. The pacing is atrocious right out of the gate.

Like, I don't suck Paul Dini's dick. I don't like Harley Quinn; I think he took way more credit than he was ever actually due for Batman: The Animated Series; and a lot of his other projects have left me going "that was adequate," but good god am I about to suck Dini's dick now because apparently that man was essential in keeping these games from being everything I hate about bad Batman writing. Sefton Hill--and whomever the two underlings Martin Lancaster and Paul Crocker are--are clearly inadequate. Then we have that awful cliche line from the trailers "this is about the night the Batman died." That alone should tell you how bad the writing is going to be, but jesus gently caress it's actually worse than that. Seriously who the gently caress let this Sefton Hill rear end in a top hat write the script? It really does smell of a guy who was only given the job because he was a project lead on the last two games and got arrogant about his capabilities. I might be dynamite at managing the kitchen at a restaurant but that doesn't mean when the star chef leaves I go back into the kitchen as though I'll be able to keep those Michellin Stars. Why the gently caress does Sefton Hill think he could take over for Paul Dini? Is there seriously no other DC talent sitting around who would have wanted this project?

And then there's plain old bad game design. Spoilers are going to be tagged out of respect from hereon out. The very opening is actually pretty great, with the player having to ignite the Joker's body with a button press, and then everything goes downhill really quickly. We're treated to a Gotham City where the people in charge of character and interactive models, and environment/landscape designers seem to have been on two completely different wavelengths. The characters and models are still in that "Gothic/Art Deco/Modern mash-up of the first two games while the city itself is almost entirely an attempt to be as real as real can be to show off the new graphics tech, which I wouldn't mind but the contrast is noticeable because the very first thing they have you do is control some doomed NPC in a 50s-style diner in a lovely scripted event straight out of Call of Duty.

After that things pick up a bit because the core gameplay is still solid, but wait-- now instead of a quick-change menu in the lower left-hand corner we have to go to a separate pause menu when we use the D-Pad to change our gear. This is to free up button space for the new Batmobile, Mission Objective, and AR Training buttons. Holy gently caress is that trying to fix what isn't broken. I'm not going to talk about it as much as the other flaws, but it's probably the worst change overall because it actively fucks with your mechanical sense of flow, and it's hard to convey that unless you've played prior Arkham games and Arkham Knight in close proximity.

So yay, what's next? How about forced Batmobile segments. At first I was on-board because hey that's the big new feature of this game, this map of Gotham was clearly designed for driving, and maybe the plot will get rolling once I get it out of the way. No, that doesn't happen. Of course that doesn't happen.

Instead we immediately launch into boring scripted chase sequences, rescuing Poison Ivy to kick-start the detective part of the story, and then we're forced into a horrible and unskippable tutorial level to learn to use a function you need for the next car sequence that exists for no practical reason other than to force you to try an AR Mission. Everything the tutorial teaches you would have been better implemented right into the next car sequence in the Metroidvania/Zelda way that every other Arkham game has done such things. Holy poo poo are these really the same guys making this? Not only that, but The Batmobile basically handles like a cross between a GTA Car, and a vehicle from Halo. It's perfectly functional but I ditched that thing the absolute first second I could. Aside from bullet-trails coming off of your "unmanned" tank opponents nothing about the Batmobile segments were anything new to me. I'm sure if you're in that 8-18 demo this game is very clearly aiming for--to a much higher degree than the previous two--then it's the bee's loving knees but I was very underwhelmed.

Now ok, we're finally back, where do we go from here? To the GCPD of course where we're forced to parade through more awful dialogue that I began to straight-up skip at this point, something I never did in any prior Arkham game, and deal with the laziest loving trophy room I have ever seen. I wouldn't even care, but this series has already proven it can do so much better than this Remember how creative and interesting The Penguin's Trophy Room in the Natural History Museum was in Arkham City? Get ready to look at plain-rear end glass cases filled with iconography from each villain who has previously appeared in any of the other three Arkham games with the same dull voice over when you click on them for more info. What an absolute loving waste.

Ok ok ok. So if I hate this so much why am I still playing? Because I'm hoping that if I listen to a little more of this preamble bullshit I can start expediting cutscenes, get all the major tutorial and introductory bullshit out of the way, and enjoy what is still a fun exploration/combat system in absolutely breathtaking environments. So I put up with it, and now I learn that instead of being physically confined in some way to listen to the bullshit in-engine cutscenes now there are literal invisible walls. That's plain lazy And instead of having a long and winding semi-linear story where the objective meanders from Rogue to Rogue with optional side missions and mostly free exploration, now I have some bullshit Mission Objective System where I can advance the main plot with big glaring "FIGHT THIS ROGUE HERE" side missions bolted on, even though literally everything about the A-plot up to this point has an apocalyptic sense of urgency. Holy loving balls that undercuts the tension of this story. Like yeah Arkham Asylum and City had high stakes from the get-go, but in Asylum you were on a fairly linear path and in City there wasn't a sense of urgency as much as "Arkham City needs to be ended, let's deal with what's in front of us and go from there." Arkham Knight has a plot of "SCARECROW GONNA gently caress US ALL UP IN A HOT MINUTE" yet we immediately take a break so Batman can investigate a few bodies and play grab-rear end with the Riddler.

And that's all there is to loving do once you start. You start on one island with literally 4 or so objectives, one of which is to lurch the main plot forward and the others which are all opening act bullshit with no payoff. Like seriously how the gently caress did this get past the first drafts if they've been planning this game since Arkham City's development 5 goddamn years ago?

I'm not expecting people to agree, but I had to get that out. I haven't been this disappointed with a time-killer theme park of a game in a good long while. Is this what all the major game releases are now? I'm going to grind through this game for a little while longer, at least until Robin/Nightwing/Catwoman show up and I get to see how the team combat works, but considering how little I actively looked for this release I'm pretty drat let down.

This is also my favorite little thing in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kanfy posted:

This is also my favorite little thing in that game.

Eat a dick.