Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Weren't there randomized spawns in Black Shark (1)? I remember being very surprised when a previously quiet mission hit me with a jet attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DCS World is free so try it before you buy any modules, it is not for everybody.

you get some good planes in the free version

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

SoapyTarantula posted:

Yeah, DCS has a mission & campaign maker. But it is pretty clunky and tends to break one way or another with every patch.

To be fair, it's the least clunky mission editor of all the combat flight sims I've encountered and can remember. I'd even say it's actually pretty easy to throw together some quick, basic missions for yourself. Its when you want to start going above that and scripting events and stuff that you start running into real clunky stuff and mission breaking updates.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
Yeah, simple missions are dead easy to make and I've never seen one stop working due to a patch. More complex missions relying on scripts and triggers can be a bit more fragile.

There are quite a few good user made Huey missions floating around, most of them are mentioned in this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=105999
I particularly like the 'Airmobile' missions by Geloxo on page 2. They're all stable, well-designed missions where you fly the Huey as part of a large operation - they have several slots so you choose to fly a gunship, medevac chopper, slick troop transport etc. All work well in singleplayer as well as multiplayer.

In the same thread there are also a couple of dynamic Huey missions where you transport troops to the front line of a battle, then get assigned to transport reinforcements, retrieve casualties, rescue downed pilots etc as the battle progresses.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Umm I just too this screenshot of FSX.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

now that it's fixed..
all DLC is discounted.. but it's cheaper to buy FSX and Cargo Crew together, or the Cargo Crew and Dangerous Approaches together than it is to buy one of those 2 DLCs

ANyone have experience with the dlc's are they worth the 8bux for 2?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Vahakyla posted:

FSX: So bad and out of date, they'll pay you play it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Vahakyla posted:

I knew I should have waited for the summer sale.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Just a flight across the south atlantic today, Cape Town to Beunos Aires.

About to taxi

Airborne!

Nice twisty departure for no reason!

Settling in for the long haul

Flight is in progress

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Put up a twitch stream and I will half watch you fly across nothing while working

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

200KIAS was V2+5kt for initial climb out?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Goetta posted:

Put up a twitch stream and I will half watch you fly across nothing while working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVZr3WbMQ6w

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Kilonum posted:

Just a flight across the south atlantic today, Cape Town to Beunos Aires.

About to taxi

Airborne!

Nice twisty departure for no reason!

Settling in for the long haul

Flight is in progress

Explains why my packages are always late :arghfist:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I actually should make a repaint for the 777 for my VA :goleft:

EDIT:

WELL gently caress YOU, TOO, WIND

EDIT2: I streamed the landing, and it's a good thing I did an autolanding as my stick disappeared to FSX at some point on the flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq0npMhxr4k

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 18, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kilonum posted:

I streamed the landing, and it's a good thing I did an autolanding as my stick disappeared to FSX at some point on the flight.

And here I thought this just happened to me because I'm too dumb to set up fsx properly :v:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Check power saving options on your sticks and USB ports. Turn all that poo poo off.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

EvilJoven posted:

Check power saving options on your sticks and USB ports. Turn all that poo poo off.

that's the thing, it was still showing up in properties and responding there... and it's an X55 so it glows when plugged in.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
I figured out how to record x-plane so have a few videos of me loving up a landing in a 757.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9avWR7PaVvA&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32254GRzp-Y&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl0TijkNWtY&feature=youtu.be (I want to punch in the face the guy that thought the clapping sound effect and the steward was a good idea)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Haha which plane is that? What a weird thing to put in

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

I figured out how to record x-plane so have a few videos of me loving up a landing in a 757.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9avWR7PaVvA&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32254GRzp-Y&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl0TijkNWtY&feature=youtu.be (I want to punch in the face the guy that thought the clapping sound effect and the steward was a good idea)

your flare is just a little early man, give it about 3 degrees pitch up at about 20-30 feet (as long as you are at a reasonable rate of descent)

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Instead of trying to level out and stall the plane onto the runway, try to merely round out at the bottom of your descent, aiming to reduce your sink rate to around 100-200 fpm and fly that to touchdown. Watch how quickly the runway edges rise in your peripheral vision and pitch up to reduce that to a slow but steady rate. Don't chop throttle too much since maintaining speed and pitch ensures a safe and steady descent rate. This way even if you begin the round out a little high you'll still have a smooth touchdown.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Stupid question time: how can I get a flight plan generated by P3D's planner (saved in a .pln file) into the PMDG FMC, which reads .rte files?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Use Simbrief instead, it's free and handles everything from payload to fuel planning.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Forums Terrorist posted:

Use Simbrief instead, it's free and handles everything from payload to fuel planning.

Fantastic! That's just the thing.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

And if you have a navigraph sub you can also check your flightplans against the current AIRAC data.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

sellouts posted:

your flare is just a little early man, give it about 3 degrees pitch up at about 20-30 feet (as long as you are at a reasonable rate of descent)

Also, just cut the power over the threshold with the 757 because she'll want to float forever. I believe a Delta pilot told me this when were chatting some time back.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
A2A's Comanche 250 was released, btw

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Kilonum posted:

And if you have a navigraph sub you can also check your flightplans against the current AIRAC data.

I was thinking of Active Sky Next as my next purchase, but now that I've checked out Navigraph I may have go for that, too. Oh, my poor wallet . . .

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Goetta posted:

Haha which plane is that? What a weird thing to put in

The flight factor 757. To be fair, they give you the option to no poo poo force him to commit suicide. Whoever made this is at least self aware. Also you can change out the sound files so you can change the clapping to play kenny loggins or just one dude doing a sarcastic clap (for my landings).

sellouts posted:

Little more practice, Keep trying to land these heavies like their 172s. Trouble is heavies require you to think ahead a lot farther. No problem putting a SAAB 340 sized aircraft on the ground but either I bounce or float the heavies like mad.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

How many people here would be up for doing a group flight on vatsim sometime this week? I was thinking a short hop from Amsterdam to London City, 30 minutes flying time and we'd get to do the steep approach.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

How many people here would be up for doing a group flight on vatsim sometime this week? I was thinking a short hop from Amsterdam to London City, 30 minutes flying time and we'd get to do the steep approach.

30 mins at what speed?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I am going to be way busy this summer, but doing a shared flight deck on an Aerosoft 318 on a group flight like that might be a great way to get over my fear of vatsimming.

I'll ask in fall.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

30 mins at what speed?

300 kts, and London City bans the Twotter anyway :sun:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Where's this ban, I wanna see the 'no twin otters' sign.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

http://www.londoncityairport.com/content/pdf/Types%20of%20Aircraft_and_Concessions.pdf

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/36170-cardiff-business-group-studying-possible-welsh-seaplane-venture

Suggests that the twotter might be added to the list soon

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I own P3D evidently :confused:

oh well, what should I do? Any good plane depots?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Pfffft Whatever, I betcha I could get a 757 in there. (Assuming I learn to flare properly).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Whatever you do, make sure it's boring and not the slightest bit entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Get the A2A Cessna 172 and the Twin Otter. Or don't if you don't like small planes I guess.