Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

GSD posted:

So what happens if you're over 1000 points in some category when you finish westernizing, and thus now have a cap of 999? Do you just lose those excess points, or are you simply capped at whatever you have, until you fall under 999?

As of art of war, when you clicked over to western tech you'd have until the end of the month and then they'd reset to 999. No idea if they've changed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Bonus:

Imagine I used printscreen instead of f12 here and there was a Grand Armada achievement pop up on the bottom right. Peep the date :sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop:

You don't need to use printscreen. F11 does a screenshot that captures steam achievment popups. They are saved in in your documents.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Traxis posted:

'Better UI' is a must have. Also check out 'TBARW' (thick borders and recolored water) and it's optional packs. 'GFX Overhaul' is another good ironman compatible graphics mod. If you want to get away from vanilla a bit check out 'Dynamic and Random Lucky Nations' and 'Shattered Europa'

Yo thanks for this!

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Started my first ironman game, playing as Poland. Off to a good start, having secured the PU, annexed half of TO, and vassalized LO. I'm just curious what are the recommended starting idea groups for a Commonwealth game?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I wish Common Sense had injected some of it into the AI. My allies are all useless due to bankrupting themselves all the time, to ludicrous degrees. I spent a fair bit of time preparing a massive offensive against the Ottomans as Austria (Europe is too protestant to integrate the HRE, so might as well beat the Turk), and when it was finally time to pounce I discovered that both Russia and Spain, my big allies, somehow contracted huge debts overnight despite not being in any wars of note. Russia actually had around 6000 gold worth of debts to clear, and this was the mid-1600s!

Is there a limit to how much you can borrow, or can you just pile up loans, default on them and try to ride the chaos for the next 10-20 years?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Gold fleets are a pretty big deal. Mexico will give you 210 gold every two years which comes out to nearly 10 gold a month in income.
And severely increasing your inflation every year.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poil posted:

This is why the inflation reduction advisor is the best admin advisor. Also, part of the reason that Economic is ridiculously powerful.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
^^Economic + offensive + quality = god armies if you go for the policies

Poil posted:

It's not that bad, especially if you went for economic. Even without economic and with both Mexico and Australia sending me gold fleets all the time it still was next to nothing.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

Allyn posted:

All the Italian ones you had accepted? Because they're automatically accepted, Italy is the cultural union for all Italian (actually Latin) cultures. They all still give you the effects of being accepted, it's just how the game deals with that. If you meant other, non-Italian cultures, then uhh that sounds odd and potentially a bug

If I remember correctly forming a cultural union recalculates the percentages so anything not in the union with less than the threshold will become unaccepted.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I wish I could tag countries to alert me if they get low on manpower, or reduced military strength, or anything really; to even the playing field with the AI capable of simply knowing the entirety of the ledger at any given time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Do I remember correctly that if you have a fort on both sides of certain straights your enemies cannot pass through? e.g. Constantinople and Kocaeli
Because otherwise I think I would delete the fort in Kocaeli.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
Was looking at doing a New World game. If you reform your religion as Maya/Inca/Aztec, are you no longer considered primitive? Or do you still have to fully Westernize to survive colonialism?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Sorced posted:

You don't need to use printscreen. F11 does a screenshot that captures steam achievment popups. They are saved in in your documents.

gently caress i wish I knew that, it was a perfect polaroid moment managing to get that achievement a month before the game ended.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Started my first ironman game, playing as Poland. Off to a good start, having secured the PU, annexed half of TO, and vassalized LO. I'm just curious what are the recommended starting idea groups for a Commonwealth game?

I like Aristocratic and Humanist. They're both pretty safe options. Maybe Diplomatic since you will be short on relationship slots at times due to Lithuania being one and one of your bordering HRE members being one for Western Arms trade modifier.

I think I went Aristocratic->Humanist->Quality->Administrative->Quantity because I never had a good Diplo ruler and what few points I did have I used for annexing Vassals.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

You're referring to the Exploration CB? I'm not sure. For what it's worth, in three games as Inca, I was never attacked during westernization, so maybe you lose the primitiveness? Though it might simply be determined by tech speed, in which case, no.

That said, native Americans are in a really crappy position this patch; not counting the patches prior to their getting new mechanics, things are the hardest for a NA run yet. Moving Exploration to Admin 5 really, really hurts a run because you're stuck with 10 settlers per year for a very long time, unless you tech up in Dip (which means you won't have points when you get to Admin 5. Most of the New World is pretty crappy as far as base development now, so colonies are a lot crappier (and there's no base tax bonus for natives) and you'll never be able to afford any development. Increased coring and annexation costs especially hurt you, too. Also, the Inca authority mechanic needs to be rebalanced because it was balanced on the old base tax values; owning every province you can plus as many colonies as you can still means you're 1-2 reforms away from reforming your religion when you first meet the Europeans, so you can't Westernize and will be a sitting duck.

Basically, just about every change in CS made things much worse for Native Americans. Prior to CS, a run as Inca was tough but fun; now, it was largely waiting around with nothing to do and then realizing that even after getting Exploration, I was so far behind that I was basically waiting for the Europeans to take all my stuff and there was nothing I could do to stop them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Contrecoup posted:

Was looking at doing a New World game. If you reform your religion as Maya/Inca/Aztec, are you no longer considered primitive? Or do you still have to fully Westernize to survive colonialism?

I;m pretty sure that just hitting the westernize button protects you from the colonialism (or whatever it's called) CB

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
You know I had nothing against you guys Denmark and Poland. You just wouldn't stop fighting me with your endless swarms of poo poo stacks over petty, pointless wars. So look at what you made me do to you.

Novgorod is capable of fielding like 20 regiements even with all that land and has no allies. LET THE CRUSADES BEGIN!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Fuuuuuck living near the Ottomans on Ironman mode. Tried to get the Arabian Coffee achievement, but their armies ridiculously outnumber mind and even if I can accrue something to match their, their army will still win because they start with great generals.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Are the servers down for you guys?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
I've noticed that colonial nations tend to be a bit wonky with their independence wars. Often they're winning the war and likely to be able to take independence, but instead peace out with something stupid like a ducat settlement and some provinces. What the hell, where's your liberty fervor guys :argh:

OTOH,

I love the random poo poo that happens in the endgame. By the way that Norway doesn't actually own Norway, they just have the Faroe Islands and Nigeria :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rejected Fate posted:

Fuuuuuck living near the Ottomans on Ironman mode. Tried to get the Arabian Coffee achievement, but their armies ridiculously outnumber mind and even if I can accrue something to match their, their army will still win because they start with great generals.

Be a lazy rear end in a top hat, start as the Mamluks. You can form Arabia and get the achievement before they come for you.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Hasn't the recent expansion patch nerfed manpower, and by extension, the Ottomans? If so murder the fuckers in the crib.

reL
May 20, 2007
So is the English Civil war an inevitability? I had a solid run as England completely destroyed by the English Civil War. I loaded up the save, wherein previously I had no ticking "Looming Disasters" only to show that I had the ECW looming disaster. Looked at the single modifier to cause it ticking at +1 per month, and it was "No Debate in Parliament." But that's because I had just finished a debate, successfully (for the 11 straight achievement, so good timing there), and had the 10 year cooldown modifier before I could start the next.

Wound up with Cromwell winning because I'm an idiot and sided with him. His 0 diplomacy stat meant that integrating France went from an initial expected end date of 1636, to 1656, and on Cromwell's death the PU dissolved at 70% integrated! Wonderful!

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
It really fucks you up when fighting superior enemies. Before you could attack enemy armies while they were split up and win that way, but now you'll run out of manpower even if you win your battles.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Schizotek posted:

Hasn't the recent expansion patch nerfed manpower, and by extension, the Ottomans? If so murder the fuckers in the crib.

It also nerfed AT, so the Lucky nation god-generals aren't quite as godly. Ottomans are still really huge and scary and I'd argue probably the single strongest nation at the start. Muscovy, France, Castile, Austria are all a lot weaker though.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

reL posted:

So is the English Civil war an inevitability? I had a solid run as England completely destroyed by the English Civil War. I loaded up the save, wherein previously I had no ticking "Looming Disasters" only to show that I had the ECW looming disaster. Looked at the single modifier to cause it ticking at +1 per month, and it was "No Debate in Parliament." But that's because I had just finished a debate, successfully (for the 11 straight achievement, so good timing there), and had the 10 year cooldown modifier before I could start the next.

Wound up with Cromwell winning because I'm an idiot and sided with him. His 0 diplomacy stat meant that integrating France went from an initial expected end date of 1636, to 1656, and on Cromwell's death the PU dissolved at 70% integrated! Wonderful!

Yes the English Civil War always happen, the disaster starts ticking at 1600 sharp. If you plan for it it is basically nothing. Both times I've ended this 'civil war' within a month of it starting. Keep enough admin points in reserve to go from -3 stab to +1 and have enough men in the british isles to crush the initial rebels.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah the Ottomans have run rampant and been completely unchecked in every game I've played so far. They just shove the Mamluks over while picking and choosing their wars in Europe and around Crimea. When they hit Hungary/Austria they just go expand towards India and by the time any nation is a big enough blob to try and take them on they have twice the manpower/armies. It takes some real effort to keep them in check, unless you try to kneecap them early which has its own set of challenges.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VDay posted:

Yeah the Ottomans have run rampant and been completely unchecked in every game I've played so far. They just shove the Mamluks over while picking and choosing their wars in Europe and around Crimea. When they hit Hungary/Austria they just go expand towards India and by the time any nation is a big enough blob to try and take them on they have twice the manpower/armies. It takes some real effort to keep them in check, unless you try to kneecap them early which has its own set of challenges.

In my most recent Milan game they've been completely crippled, Venice owns half of Greece, Byzantium is resurgent, the minors control all of Anatolia.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

VDay posted:

Or, if you're western, just let it be, build a Great Wall to cower behind if necessary, and bide your time. Their units start to fall behind around the late 17th century, and a good miltech 23 timing push from any western power will loving wreck the Ottos. Lategame Ottoman units blow and they suddenly become a pushover regardless of size. They were a terrifying menace in my Milan-Italy campaign and it was incredibly cathartic to spend the entire 18th century systematically razing the House of Osman to the ground in ridiculously lopsided battles where each Italian soldier casually slaughtered hundreds of Turks.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Guildencrantz posted:

I've noticed that colonial nations tend to be a bit wonky with their independence wars. Often they're winning the war and likely to be able to take independence, but instead peace out with something stupid like a ducat settlement and some provinces. What the hell, where's your liberty fervor guys :argh:

Yeah, I stopped supporting independence for British Mexico and West Indies in my Iroquois game after the fifth time they peaced out for war reparations at 35% warscore.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Units don't fall behind between tech groups and haven't for a long time. (Except for the horde who don't get any new units at all)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The AI definitely needs a bit of shoring up what with all the fort changes and development etc, I hope it gets focused on for the next minor patch or two.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

VDay posted:

Yeah, I'm giving myself another attempt and taking the advice of the thread and using the Mamluks.

I was able to block them into Europe and take all of Anatolia, but the best I could do there was to have them release various small Turkish states. Doesn't seem to have slowed them very much and my manpower is now 0, so I think I'm buggered in this playthrough too. May have bough me some time to counter-blob, though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Guildencrantz posted:

Or, if you're western, just let it be, build a Great Wall to cower behind if necessary, and bide your time. Their units start to fall behind around the late 17th century, and a good miltech 23 timing push from any western power will loving wreck the Ottos. Lategame Ottoman units blow and they suddenly become a pushover regardless of size. They were a terrifying menace in my Milan-Italy campaign and it was incredibly cathartic to spend the entire 18th century systematically razing the House of Osman to the ground in ridiculously lopsided battles where each Italian soldier casually slaughtered hundreds of Turks.
Yeah in my Poland game right now I've basically made a little wall between myself and them by giving Moldavia like 6 provinces. I just need to be careful with how I clean up Hungary so that I don't leave them weak enough to be instantly swallowed by the Ottomans, bypassing my wall.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Units don't fall behind between tech groups and haven't for a long time. (Except for the horde who don't get any new units at all)

Yes they do, check for yourself. The differences were smoothed out a lot in whatever patch changed it so that westernizing doesn't give you western units, but they still exist, especially at the higher tiers (1-2 pips difference typically). The Ottomans are actually the most pronounced case of this, their infantry is superior until level 15, then gradually becomes consistently worse than almost every other tech group. It's not a huge difference, but it gives their enemies an edge and makes timed attacks even more devastating if you can pull it off.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guildencrantz posted:

Yes they do, check for yourself. The differences were smoothed out a lot in whatever patch changed it so that westernizing doesn't give you western units, but they still exist, especially at the higher tiers (1-2 pips difference typically). The Ottomans are actually the most pronounced case of this, their infantry is superior until level 15, then gradually becomes consistently worse than almost every other tech group. It's not a huge difference, but it gives their enemies an edge and makes timed attacks even more devastating if you can pull it off.

Actually they dont. They have to reform the government via a unique decision or the regular horde government ones to gain either muslim or chinese unit types. Until then they have the best cavalry and infantry for several levels, but will quickly fall behind past about tech 9.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Actually they dont. They have to reform the government via a unique decision or the regular horde government ones to gain either muslim or chinese unit types. Until then they have the best cavalry and infantry for several levels, but will quickly fall behind past about tech 9.

Oh I meant units in the "normal" techgroups do differ, sometimes in quality. I wasn't addressing the point about hordes, that's correct of course.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

The Ottomans are also wrecking everything that is sent against them in my ironman Naples to Italy game, I just formed Italy and after I vassalized Savoy France hates me. I figured that would happen but I don't really know how to fight them. My current plan is to fortify pretty much all of northern Italy and try to crush them in a war of attrition, however I'm about to chose my fourth idea group but I don't know which one is best to let me fight France. I already have trade,humanist and quality, I have thought about defensive for the better generals, extra attrition for France, extra morale and extra fort defense which combined with the Italian ideas should be pretty ludicrous. But maybe quantity is better? I already have about 78,000 manpower fully charged which I think is the best in the word but if I intend to grind down France I will need a lot of bodies to throw at them. Which idea do you guys think is the best to fight France?

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 21, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

The Ottomans lose their lucky nation status and the Janissaries in the 1700s, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lord Tywin posted:

The Ottomans are also wrecking everything that is sent against them in my ironman Naples to Italy game, I just formed Italy and after I vassalized Savoy France hates me. I figured that would happen but I don't really know how to fight them. My current plan is to fortify pretty much all of northern Italy and try to crush them in a war of attrition, however I'm about to chose my fourth idea group but I don't know which one is best to let me fight France. I already have trade,humanist and quality, I have thought about defensive for the better generals, extra attrition for France, extra morale and extra fort defense which combined with the Italian ideas should be pretty ludicrous. But maybe quantity is better? I already have about 78,000 manpower fully charged which I think is the best in the word but if I intend to grind down France I will need a lot of bodies to throw at them. Which idea do you guys think is the best to fight France?

Defensive would combo nicely with the +1 AT from Quality, AT is a lot harder to get right now so that's a notable benefit. Unfortunately your border forts are all in rich farmland provinces which isn't ideal for attriting a bunch of Turks but it'll work.

• Locked thread