Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feller
Jul 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Stop save-scumming. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Fargo Fukes posted:

My Ironman Tuscany game has reached a stalling point. I've eaten most of Northern Italy, from Milan down to the Papal State, but everything below that is MegaSpain (they fully inherited Aragon and Naples). Advancement to the Northwest is blocked by properly blobby France (who are nearly at modern day borders, which I don't hugely mind as they balance out MegaSpain), to the Northeast is Austria, who I thought were the weaker option but I just fought a gruelling war against them and it's like repeatedly running into a brick wall. Their troops are just plain better than mine, and whilst I have plenty of money to spend and mercenaries to hire, I still run out long before their stacks show any sign of weakening. During the last conflict they had Bohemia tying them down on the Northern front and I still couldn't make any headway against them since any major battle would attract their 50-regiment doomstack and wipe the floor with me. I'm stuck, and getting worried since so many powerful blobs are forming (aforementioned MegaSpain, Final Form France, Greater Britain and the terrifying COMMONWEALTH, which is apparently what you get when Poland eats Lithuania). I feel like I should be a moderate power by now, but instead I'm slipping into insignificance. Any advice? The ideas I picked were Admin for mercs, Trade because money, Quality because mercs are kinda flimsy amd Espionage because it looked fun but is starting to look like a complete dud.

Can you buddy up with France? Using France to crush your enemies can be pretty satisfying. If not, the Commonwealth may not like the Austrians too much. If all else fails, go ask the Turks.

Do not use espionage ideas except in multiplayer and probably not then either. It is bad.

Quality is good, but I'm not sure where it ranks against other mil idea groups. Offensive isn't the undisputed number 1 pick anymore, and defensive/quantity are both great choices, especially for grindy wars against big powers.

Try to lure Austria into fighting you in the Alps where you can negate their numerical advantage, if possible. Only so many units can fight at a time, but even the units that don't fight take morale damage, and morale damage decides battles. Remember that dead mercs don't cause war exhaustion or count against your manpower. Drip feed in mercs as reinforcements. Don't hire merc cavalry or artillery unless you have absolutely no other choice, the expense isn't worth it.

France and Spain usually end up in at least one war where France occupies the entire Iberian Peninsula after six months of competitive massacre in the Pyrenees, so if you see that happen, jump on Naples with both feet.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Has anyone ever played a non-European country and actually out-teched the major European powers without westernization? I am playing a game as Ming with a friend (we are both playing Ming) and we are a full military tech ahead of France and 2 ahead of the Ottomans. :stare: Is this bad? We wanted to westernize but now I am worried that we are going to suffer non-westernized penalties all game now because we will be to far behind to actually westernize?

We are in the late 1500s or early 1600. We just hit military tech 15 and France is 14 and Ottomans are at 13.

Europe has been really busy fighting each other and are just starting to colonize Brazil, they haven't even touched India or the Orient yet. We (Ming) stretch from the kashmir to Malaysia and all the way up to the Kurils (North islands of Japan).

ON a completely different note. I really love these new changes to countries able to westernize with the capture and coring of certain cities. I am playing another online game with friends and I westernized as Russia super fast. Right when I hit admin tech 10, I was able to westernize because I had Danzig. It's loving awesome but thank god Poland was weak in my game because I feel like Danzig is a bit out of the reach for Russia... I got lucky this game because Danzig broke off as their own country and I was able to diplo-vassal it.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 21, 2015

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Why can we still not tab/swipe out of EU4 on Macs :(

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Enigma89 posted:

Has anyone ever played a non-European country and actually out-teched the major European powers without westernization? I am playing a game as Ming with a friend (we are both playing Ming) and we are a full military tech ahead of France and 2 ahead of the Ottomans. :stare: Is this bad? We wanted to westernize but now I am worried that we are going to suffer non-westernized penalties all game now because we will be to far behind to actually westernize?

We are in the late 1500s or early 1600. We just hit military tech 15 and France is 14 and Ottomans are at 13.

It's pretty hard to pull off continuously, but Ming get a 10% tech discount from their government type and can afford top-tier advisers, and the AI has always been mediocre at keeping up with tech (and that's only been exacerbated by this patch I think).

Just fall behind in diplo tech though if you want to westernize, there's very little penalty to doing that. Normally I'd say the non-westernized penalties really aren't that bad though, but as Ming getting rid of the 50% autonomy floor is probably fairly enticing.

e: actually that said, being western and not reforming your government, so you get to keep factions and the tech discount might be pretty powerful. It's not like Ming are poor even with the autonomy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Enigma89 posted:

Invest a all your points in provincial development until you fall behind :v:

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Unless it was changed in the last patch I'm pretty sure you get an event that changes your government after you westernize, it's not like tribes where you have to take a decision.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mans posted:

no offense good for you for making a PU with Russia and uniting both crowns and all but jesus those borders are ugly :psyduck:

Aww, you haven't even seen the best part due to the Russian AI. I guess they were scared to fight the steppe hordes?

Also I gave Poland a bit of Provence, and they expanded into Catalonia somehow

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

I have seen the Mamluks leading in Admin and Mil tech before, if you don't count those as a major European power since they have so much involvement there. Since Common Sense I frequently see the Ottoman as being the 1st place in miltech by 2 levels, somehow. Considering they have a lightly increased tech cost, I wouldn't really expect them to somehow manage to be so far ahead. Before then, my tech would be the measuring pole of mil if I was playing in Europe. Now it isn't. I am actually finding myself getting the neighbour bonus pretty often now, much more often than in the past.

Also, unless you are a Ming who is rapidly expanding West, there is literally no purpose to being so technologically ahead, and I am not sure with new coring costs it would even be possible to do that without colonising. You would crush the other Asians with just 2 levels over them in miltech, nevermind what sounds like the 4 or you might have. Do you have any mil ideas? It might be worth taking one, to make greater use of all those milpoints you are kind of throwing away at penalties.

Also, I am playing a Jaunpur and wow is that a fun nation to play. I usually die immediately in India (possibly the hardest place to start outside of the Balkans imo, it is a real war hotspot and my alliances always peter out), but I managed to get this off the ground. I converted over to Hindu in the first year, and since then I have gotten 2 rulers now who come over with like 6/4/4 or something like that which convert my nation to Muslim, replacing my crappier monarchs. I then immediately convert back because why would I not want those sweet Hindu deity choices?

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 21, 2015

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

Europe has been really busy fighting each other and are just starting to colonize Brazil, they haven't even touched India or the Orient yet. We (Ming) stretch from the kashmir to Malaysia and all the way up to the Kurils (North islands of Japan).

Sure, it's actually pretty easy to keep up in military tech even in the 160% tech groups. The AI spends its military points very inefficiently and just being human gives you that much of an advantage in efficiency.

Usually as an Asian country I avoid mil ideas until after westernizing and max out admin and diplo point idea sets as they come along. Combine this with a healthy expansion rate and you should be able to stay behind enough in admin and diplo tech to westernize ASAP while remaining competitive in mil tech. Every tech you buy before westernizing that you don't need is a waste of MP, so prioritize fixed-cost stuff like ideas and cores while you're in a lower tech group.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So what happens if you're over 1000 points in some category when you finish westernizing, and thus now have a cap of 999? Do you just lose those excess points, or are you simply capped at whatever you have, until you fall under 999?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

loving hell Europe is weird off the start now. I think Burgundy got caught fabricating two claims, immediately got half of Europe in a coalition against it, and the other half dogpiled on for good measure. Meanwhile Austria immediately started conquering it's way across Germany, and the Imperial Crown went to Bohemia inside of 5 years. Can Free Cities be attacked by the Emperor? Because god drat do Ravensburg, Augberg and Memmingen ever need to start with that status.

GSD posted:

So what happens if you're over 1000 points in some category when you finish westernizing, and thus now have a cap of 999? Do you just lose those points, or are you simply capped at whatever you have, until you fall under 999?

You definitely used to lose them. Though that may have changed with this patch, I seem to remember some comment like that, or maybe it was just somebody pointing out that you could immediately just spend all those points on Development instead of losing them.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There's no "Jump into ally's war" button/option right? I feel kind of bad whenever one of my allies goes to war while I'm at war with someone else, only for me to finish and then just kind of awkwardly watch as they struggle into an eventual white peace.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm getting back into EU thanks to the Summer Sale. Got all the content DLC. Any mods on the Workshop you guys can recommend, preferably stuff a bit close to the vanilla experience?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

VDay posted:

There's no "Jump into ally's war" button/option right? I feel kind of bad whenever one of my allies goes to war while I'm at war with someone else, only for me to finish and then just kind of awkwardly watch as they struggle into an eventual white peace.

You can enforce peace but you need +100 relations and the country can't be winning.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

They need to rework army limits if they're dropping manpower pools so much, I have the biggest army in the world but I keep getting the mission "Create an army for our country". It's like I'm the USA.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Elman posted:

They need to rework army limits if they're dropping manpower pools so much, I have the biggest army in the world but I keep getting the mission "Create an army for our country". It's like I'm the USA.

I just play it as if manpower is only for cavalary and artillary. Infantry are 90% mercs.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
:stonklol:

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Donald Duck posted:

I just play it as if manpower is only for cavalary and artillary. Infantry are 90% mercs.

As it should be (except 100%).

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Star posted:

You can enforce peace but you need +100 relations and the country can't be winning.

Yeah that's usually a bit tricky to set up properly. Makes sense though, thinking about it being able to join an ally's wars whenever would open up some gamey possibilities. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious.

On an unrelated note, I started up a Poland game today and got to the early 1500's and formed the Commonwealth and oh boy is elective monarchy a huge pain in the rear end that constantly gives me 50+ year old rulers. Is there a decent way to handle the elective monarchy heir race? Because having to constantly bump my dude up is completely draining my legitimacy. Is that the point/gimmick? Or am I supposed to be letting other country's heirs win every once in a while? What happens when another country wins?

I'm going for the One King to Rule achievement so I know the event to break up the Sejm doesn't until the 1600's, so I'm not sure how to go about staying afloat until then considering my prestige is also super low thanks to a tricky TO diplo-annexing that I didn't think all the way through and ended up being a huge annoyance for decades. Other than that though I'm making a ton of money and have a gigantic army, so if it's just a matter of me fighting a succession war or something to get back on track I'm ready for that.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

VDay posted:

Yeah that's usually a bit tricky to set up properly. Makes sense though, thinking about it being able to join an ally's wars whenever would open up some gamey possibilities. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious.

On an unrelated note, I started up a Poland game today and got to the early 1500's and formed the Commonwealth and oh boy is elective monarchy a huge pain in the rear end that constantly gives me 50+ year old rulers. Is there a decent way to handle the elective monarchy heir race? Because having to constantly bump my dude up is completely draining my legitimacy. Is that the point/gimmick? Or am I supposed to be letting other country's heirs win every once in a while? What happens when another country wins?

I'm going for the One King to Rule achievement so I know the event to break up the Sejm doesn't until the 1600's, so I'm not sure how to go about staying afloat until then considering my prestige is also super low thanks to a tricky TO diplo-annexing that I didn't think all the way through and ended up being a huge annoyance for decades. Other than that though I'm making a ton of money and have a gigantic army, so if it's just a matter of me fighting a succession war or something to get back on track I'm ready for that.

You're supposed to just let other countries get in on the action. You don't lose anything anyway unless it's a multiplayer game and people are being dicks about abusing CBs and even then I'm not sure.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

There ought to be an achievement for playing 1001 hours.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

aeglus posted:

You're supposed to just let other countries get in on the action. You don't lose anything anyway unless it's a multiplayer game and people are being dicks about abusing CBs and even then I'm not sure.

What actually happens when another country wins? Their heir just becomes my new king and things go on as usual? It's obviously something that I, in retrospect, should've tested before starting the ironman run, but for some reason I assumed I'd become the minor partner in a PU or they'd take over my country or something. I think the little tooltip on the warning about another country's heir inheriting scared me and convinced me that Something Bad will happen if I don't keep my guys in power.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

VDay posted:

What actually happens when another country wins? Their heir just becomes my new king and things go on as usual? It's obviously something that I, in retrospect, should've tested before starting the ironman run, but for some reason I assumed I'd become the minor partner in a PU or they'd take over my country or something. I think the little tooltip on the warning about another country's heir inheriting scared me and convinced me that Something Bad will happen if I don't keep my guys in power.

You get a huge bonus relations with that country, a minor relations penalty with other countries whos heirs failed to win and you start with 90 legitimacy instead of 20. You pretty much never want your own heirs to win.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh so pretty much the exact opposite of what I thought would happen, awesome :doh:

Just going to write that off as a character-building exercise for my population.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

VDay posted:

Oh so pretty much the exact opposite of what I thought would happen, awesome :doh:

Just going to write that off as a character-building exercise for my population.

To be fair the event confuses a lot of people to the point they think they will be under a PU if they accept a foreign ruler. It's one of those times where knowing the actual history helps a little bit though the game doesn't really model the real history very well either but it's close enough from a gameplay standpoint.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah now that I know that nothing disastrous happens, the system makes sense and seems like a way to give you a little bit of choice in who you want as a ruler in exchange for (usually) getting older rulers. Speaking of which, is there any way to influence who gets picked each "cycle" as the other countries' main competitor/nominee, or is it just RNG and the game picks a random country to push up to compete with you. I noticed there's some percentage numbers next to other country's heir nominees, but it was in the extended tooltip so I couldn't hover over anything to get more info. Is that just % chance that that person's ranking/claim/whatever goes up every month?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

Yeah now that I know that nothing disastrous happens, the system makes sense and seems like a way to give you a little bit of choice in who you want as a ruler in exchange for (usually) getting older rulers. Speaking of which, is there any way to influence who gets picked each "cycle" as the other countries' main competitor/nominee, or is it just RNG and the game picks a random country to push up to compete with you. I noticed there's some percentage numbers next to other country's heir nominees, but it was in the extended tooltip so I couldn't hover over anything to get more info. Is that just % chance that that person's ranking/claim/whatever goes up every month?

Yeah it's the % chance to bump up their heir's score. You can pay Legitimacy to increase your native Polish heir but he'll be low Legitimacy and you lose a Diplomat. Generally better to just let foreign countries win it, there's no easy way to game that it's RNG.

After 1600 you'll get the event that can switch you out of Elective to Absolute Monarchy, if you can get a powerful dynasty on your throne before you ditch Elective that'd be nice

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Elman posted:

About that...

Is this from an Albania or Iberia run? I've been trying it but I just can't break the Ottomans, even with Austria/Poland/Lithuania (they refuse to work together so get slaughtered piecemeal). I was thinking it might be better to head west first via Italy?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Obliterati posted:

Is this from an Albania or Iberia run? I've been trying it but I just can't break the Ottomans, even with Austria/Poland/Lithuania (they refuse to work together so get slaughtered piecemeal). I was thinking it might be better to head west first via Italy?

Yep!

I haven't tried escaping to Italy, that sounds like a good way to get past the Ottomans' warnings. Or maybe try taking Hungary if there's a chance? Or ally Aragon/Genoa for some extra help?

You'll definitely need to defeat the Ottomans if you want to take the balkans, they'll never stop warning you. I started by taking Ragusa, Bosnia and most of Serbia, then spent like 60 years just fighting and recovering from 3 wars against the Ottomans (lost 1). But eventually they fell behind and we kicked them out of Greece. Then France took Chios from Genoa and decided to join the fun, so I allied them and it was a smooth ride after that.

France was ridiculous strong that game actually, they never got their English cores back but they conquered Savoy and had a bigger army than Ming in the 1600s. They helped me a lot against Austria but ended up allying both Portugal and Aragon, which was a pain (though it might have been easier if I'd realized I had the same dynasty as both of those countries :downs: I need to learn to play the PU game).

Elman fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 21, 2015

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Elman posted:

Yep!

I haven't tried escaping to Italy, that sounds like a good way to get past the Ottomans' warnings. Or maybe try taking Hungary if there's a chance? Or ally Aragon/Genoa for some extra help?

You'll definitely need to defeat the Ottomans if you want to take the balkans, they'll never stop warning you. I spent like 60 years at the start just fighting and recovering from 3 wars against them with Austria and Poland/Lithuania (lost 1), but eventually they fell behind and we kicked them out of Greece. Then France took Chios from Genoa and decided to join the fun, so I allied them and it was a smooth ride after that.

France was ridiculous strong that game actually, they never got their English cores back but they conquered Savoy and had a bigger army than Ming in the 1600s. They helped me a lot against Austria but ended up allying both Portugal and Aragon, which was a pain (though it might have been easier if I'd realized I had the same dynasty as both of those countries :downs: I need to learn to play the PU game).

Of all EU4 things this is the only time I get that feeling something is wrong. Even Theodoro having land makes more sense to me than this.

(also big contender for ugliest Austria)

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Riso posted:

There ought to be an achievement for playing 1001 hours.

Well that would be nice, but what I really want is a personal card from Paradox commending me on my nerdiness.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Sardinia-Piedmont has the coolest map color in the game.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Sheep posted:

Sardinia-Piedmont has the coolest map color in the game.

Almost. Theodoro has the best.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm getting back into EU thanks to the Summer Sale. Got all the content DLC. Any mods on the Workshop you guys can recommend, preferably stuff a bit close to the vanilla experience?

'Better UI' is a must have. Also check out 'TBARW' (thick borders and recolored water) and it's optional packs. 'GFX Overhaul' is another good ironman compatible graphics mod. If you want to get away from vanilla a bit check out 'Dynamic and Random Lucky Nations' and 'Shattered Europa'

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

PleasingFungus posted:

Circumnavigation and treasure fleets are silly and not a big deal (especially the former), but the new exploration mechanics are a really big improvement on the original. If you want to play a game that involves exploration, it's worthwhile.

Gold fleets are a pretty big deal. Mexico will give you 210 gold every two years which comes out to nearly 10 gold a month in income.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

why does forming italy remove all my accepted cultures?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Whorelord posted:

All the Italian ones you had accepted? Because they're automatically accepted, Italy is the cultural union for all Italian (actually Latin) cultures. They all still give you the effects of being accepted, it's just how the game deals with that. If you meant other, non-Italian cultures, then uhh that sounds odd and potentially a bug

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Whorelord posted:

Because all of the Latin cultures are accepted cultures in Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Finished an England/HRE run to knock out all the related and new achievements. Nothing too special went on since it was basically me exerting myself all over the map with my red spunk which later dried out and turned all gray. But here's a highlight, me getting A Traditional Player while bullying Ming:

I called Russia to the war because why not. They barely contributed to anything though since the war was pretty much over by the time they got over here and all that was left to do was to siege down the forts for shits and giggles. But wait whose flag is that on the top left?

Oh no. Oh no no no. N-not, not again.. .. .

It's like deja vu from ck2 and I did a one post AAR where I owned Iberia and a crusade for Jerusalem triggered so I did what sane kings did back then and sent all my men to the crusade.

By foot.

Back then over a hundred thousand men died or deserted before ever even reaching Jerusalem. Then all the survivors died sieging Jerusalem.

In EU4 armies get reinforced so the effects are kinda hard to see but just look at poor Bohemia's manpower here. I would say over half a million Germans died for no real reason just marching across Siberia for a few years. (Russia also killed themselves marching across the Siberia but hey who cares about them). The screaming of pain of virtual men weighted on my conscience so I ended the war before I could drive Ming's war exhaustion up to 20. As a result they did not explode after the war but I also saved countless fake families so eh.

Bonus:

Imagine I used printscreen instead of f12 here and there was a Grand Armada achievement pop up on the bottom right. Peep the date :sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop:

• Locked thread