Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

The Deadly Hume posted:

New improved(?) results grid!

I am not sure if this is clearer than what I've been doing, but I just knocked this together because I wanted to have it show which games are yet to be played, and it also give an indication of which teams meet twice.

I actually like this version the best, but the vertical separator works well also. Shows how difficult Port, Melbourne and Geelong have it compared to Collingwood and GWS.

Will be interesting to see what happens if the rumours of Google buying the rights to AFL are true. Will hopefully means cheaper/easier access to games, as the current AFL live pass streaming is the only way I can watch games now, good luck seeing any AFL on free to air or even pay TV in NZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

pkid posted:

So I was having a look at the ladder and wondering who can be excluded from making the finals.

GWS are still neck and neck with the Hawks but with their injuries you've got to think it's going to be tough for them to hang on.
Does that mean the top 5 is a lock? Not necessarily in the positions they're in now but I don't know if any of those teams are going to poo poo the bed so badly to miss entirely.

So that means you've got 3 spots open to be fought out by Adelaide, Richmond, the Dogs, Cats, North and maybe the Power? Are the Power too far back to actually get in?

Looking at Hume's table, it looks like the Dogs should make it, Port probably wont. The Cats and Adelaide have to play each other twice. If Adelaide wins both they'll knock out the Cats.

I've got a horrible feeling that the last spot in the 8 is going to come down to Richmond V North Melbourne in the last week of the season. That would be a huge game, one I would imagine Richmond would lose.

Top 5 should be in.

I'm going to make a simple assumption. The "big 3" (Sydney, Freo, Hawthorn) are going to win every game except the ones between themselves (if you go with the "back-the-home-team" logic, Sydney beats Hawthorn and Hawthorn bests Freo). At the moment they are realistically the three teams with the biggest and best shots at the cup and the remaining spot in the Elimination finals will be whoever is streaky come September.

West Coast and Collingwood could very concievably fall out of the 8.

If West Coast loses every game except for the game against Melbourne and the game against the Suns they are a very good chance to; and it's worth noting: they are a very, very good chance to do exactly this their draw not exactly being the draw of milk and honey. Adelaide twice, Sydney, Hawthorn and Freo to go and other assorted potential losses. Welp.

Collingwood is in the same boat. Games against Sydney, Hawthorn, Freo, West Coast, Richmond, Footscray and Geelong. The game between West Coast and Collingwood could conceivably be the game that decides 8th. At least it's at the 'G.

GWS might make the finals IF they've got enough in the bank that they can coast on the easy wins they'll get. If they get two wins against Geelong/Essendon/Port they should be around the mark.

Adelaide only has the Swans left. They also have a home and away against the Eagles (which I'd probably split evenly based on form), and a game against the Tiges. I'd put them in, especially if Geelong and Port remain somewhat insipid and they can get at least one win from the Weagles and beat the Tigers (if that happens, they'll be around 5th).

If Richmond can make its way into the finals I'd be surprised. They still have to play Sydney (away), Hawthorn and Freo (both at the 'G). The loss to West Coast puts them in an awkward spot.
Richmond is a wierd team because they are eminently capable of going on a horseshit run and streaking their way into the first round of the finals.

The Dogs don't play any of the three, but they do play fellow finals hopefuls West Coast (in Perth), Geelong, Collingwood, North and Port. If they get three of those, they'll almost certainly be in. If they get two, it'll be dicey but I'd give them a spot.

Geelong still have to play Hawthorn and Sydney. Both games at "home" (they're playing Hawthorn at the 'G for money, I'd presume), in back to back rounds. They also play Adelaide (twice), Norf, Collingwood and the Giants. It's not impossible for them to make the finals, and I wouldn't back against them, but they have to be better than they have been.

Norf still has the Dockers to go, but it's in Melbourne. They don't seem to have their mojo bullshit where they beat all the good teams but lose to the bad ones. If you're a Norf supporter (all 0 of you out there) you're probably licking your lips in anticipation.

Port (because they can probably still challe-gently caress it who am I kidding) still has to play all of the big three as well as Adelaide, and other assorted goodies. If they play as well as they did last year (and other teams let them) they could horseshit their way into the finals. Don't hold your breath.

My (bad) tipping also gave Freo and Sydney 20-2 seasons, so shows what I know. Someone is going to horseshit their way into September and be Media darlings for the next 6 months after it, question is who.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Just dicked around with the ladder predictor.

Came up with:

Fremantle
Sydney
Hawthorn
West Coast
Bulldogs
North
Richmond
Adelaide

Geelong
Collingwood
GWS
Port
Melbourne
Essendon
St Kilda
Carlton
Brisbane
Gold Coast

Funny how I thought I gave Collingwood a few wins and they missed out. That was giving Essendon one more win for the year. Didn't expect the Dogs or North to climb quite that high and gave West Coast a few losses but seemed to scrap to 4th still.

Could handle that as a top 8 I guess. A western derby straight up. Sydney v Hawthorn being a slogfest. North and Richmond playing two weeks in a row and both being the two most unpredictable.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I think the Eagles are better than we have given them credit for

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

Drugs posted:

So the Bulldogs are 5-2 against teams inside the 8, and 1-3 against teams outside the 8? Cray.
Nothing but a bunch of uphill track bullies

The Deadly Hume posted:

OK, weird stupid kludge to rotate the text in Pillow figured out.

I think I still prefer the separators to be vertical, but anyway.

Giants are really going to miss those two ruckmen, particularly Mumford, so I think they may yet slip out.
I think this way is much clearer. Thanks, it's really interesting to see!

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ZombieJesus posted:

I think this way is much clearer. Thanks, it's really interesting to see!

Against this, I would note that if you follow the colours down green = loss and red = win.

hiddenmovement posted:

They are, but we don't really get to see how they stack up until they play the more consistently good teams.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah, I think the Eagles would be a legit top 4 team this year, if only because a couple of other teams have fallen away.

Schlesische posted:

Against this, I would note that if you follow the colours down green = loss and red = win.
Yeah, I've put it back so the separators are vertical because it's meant to be read across, really.

I'm also getting the old worm graph working again, although I've got a bit of work to do on the presentation.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

hiddenmovement posted:

Yeah I think plenty of people are looking at the eagles relatively soft draw and remembering the lovely last few seasons and making assumptions, but if you watch the games you can see that that isn't fair... The players are really taking to Adam Simpson's game plan, young players are playing out of their skins, the team is gelling like they haven't since the 05/06 years.

I wouldn't be surprised to knock off Sydney and hawthorn, since we play them at subi. Would definitely be disappointed if we lose to Melbourne, Adelaide at home, the pies, suns, or saints. So that's minimum 5 more wins, taking us to 14, which is gonna be 5th or 6th place minimum. Add in a couple surprise wins against those other teams and we could sneak into the to four.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The thing about the Eagles is that they're skating on thin ice already - with the opponents they have left, they're an injury to Naitanui or Kennedy away from coming home with 3-7

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Melbourne will make the finals.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Sticko posted:

Will be interesting to see what happens if the rumours of Google buying the rights to AFL are true. Will hopefully means cheaper/easier access to games, as the current AFL live pass streaming is the only way I can watch games now, good luck seeing any AFL on free to air or even pay TV in NZ.
This story turned out to be about the NRL

Schlesische posted:

West Coast and Collingwood could very concievably fall out of the 8.

If West Coast loses every game except for the game against Melbourne and the game against the Suns they are a very good chance to; and it's worth noting: they are a very, very good chance to do exactly this their draw not exactly being the draw of milk and honey. Adelaide twice, Sydney, Hawthorn and Freo to go and other assorted potential losses. Welp.

Adelaide only has the Swans left. They also have a home and away against the Eagles (which I'd probably split evenly based on form), and a game against the Tiges. I'd put them in, especially if Geelong and Port remain somewhat insipid and they can get at least one win from the Weagles and beat the Tigers (if that happens, they'll be around 5th).

I think you're significantly over rating Adelaide and under rating West Coast. The Eagles are considerably more likely to finish top four than fall out altogether

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Shmoses posted:

I think you're significantly over rating Adelaide and under rating West Coast. The Eagles are considerably more likely to finish top four than fall out altogether

Want to be clear, I don't think they will drop out of the eight but it's not really that unlikely that they do. If they drop 3 out of Adelaide, Collingwood, Adelaide, Footscray (and assuming they lose to Hawthorn, Freo, Sydney) then they're fighting for eighth all of a sudden.

I think they'll probably end up coming 4th, with Hawthorn overtaking them for 3rd and the potential for a durrrrrby final lingering in the air.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
They play Sydney, Hawthorn and obviously one of the Adelaide games at Subi, I wouldn't necessarily assume they lose any of those. I would be shocked if they lost to a still young Western Bulldogs side at Subi too.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
daniel cross looks like stannis baratheon

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

snaeksikn posted:

Plays for Melbourne - thousand yard stare checks out

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

The night is dark and full of unforced errors.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Gough Suppressant posted:

drat

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:asoiaf:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Nice

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Melbourne will make the finals.
Care to toxx that?

NTRabbit posted:

The thing about the Eagles is that they're skating on thin ice already - with the opponents they have left, they're an injury to Naitanui or Kennedy away from coming home with 3-7
I actually think our forward line would survive without jk, but nicnat or Schofield being out for long would really hurt.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

thepokey posted:

Which is the crazy thing .. half those #standbyhird people are probably calling for his head now. Putting the health of your players at risk by letting a dodgy drugs program run under your nose? All good. Not winning games of footy? Unacceptable!

End of next year.

I'm interested in McKernan too, but not sold on him being the lone ruck, he strikes me more as someone who can do his time in the ruck but plays more forward.

Unless he's changed dramatically since being at Adelaide, he's very much a ruck who occasionally takes a mark up forward rather than a forward who can go in the ruck.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

ZombieJesus posted:

Care to toxx that?

I've already toxxed my title and a permaban so there's not much left of me to go round

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

cmndstab posted:

Unless he's changed dramatically since being at Adelaide, he's very much a ruck who occasionally takes a mark up forward rather than a forward who can go in the ruck.

Yeah I really paid no attention at all to him before he came to us, so I only have VFL form to go on and he seems to be kicking goals there. Can't be worse than having Carlisle as our main ruck I guess

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

IIRC according to the Adelaide supporters on this board he is the worst person to have ever lived and needs to dumped into the southern ocean with concrete boots

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

IIRC according to the Adelaide supporters on this board he is the worst person to have ever lived and needs to dumped into the southern ocean with concrete boots

No that's Jack Gunston. McKernan was just a player who only showed his talent for 2 minutes a game.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
Just sticking my ugly scone up to say I saw a couple of brilliant games this week. Melbourne and Carlton did well and I really enjoyed cheering for you.

That Carlton game was a classic.

Well done blues.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
McKernan was pretty talented, he just seemed to have problems getting his mental approach right.

I assume, without actually knowing, that he has issues with depression or whatever.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Good thing Port have the bye otherwise I'd probably tip them with blind optimism again even though the burns are still fresh.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Obligatory Port vs The Bye video:
https://youtu.be/qXatqcigUFw

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
McKernan big clown man

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

cmndstab posted:

McKernan was pretty talented, he just seemed to have problems getting his mental approach right.

I assume, without actually knowing, that he has issues with depression or whatever.

I remember hearing he got a bit homesick living away from Victoria which may have had something to do with it.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

ZombieJesus posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to knock off Sydney and hawthorn, since we play them at subi.
West Coast haven't beaten Sydney since 2007. Most of those games were played at Subiaco.

(I had to look up the stats and was surprised it had been that long!)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Frank Costa can gently caress off and die in a ditch tbfh

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Is that in reference to his Dangerfield comments? Personally I think the Crows would be irresponsible not to match the Cats' offer.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shmoses posted:

Is that in reference to his Dangerfield comments? Personally I think the Crows would be irresponsible not to match the Cats' offer.

Yes and yes, whiny entitled gently caress is as bad as the Geelong 'fans' who walked out on Enright

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
This poo poo is becoming a joke. The AFL should introduce a 'loyalty bonus' or something that can be paid to one club players outside the cap. When you have people unironically saying 'if he stays' when discussing young stars things have probably gone too far.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I hope we match it and Geelong whines in the media like a stuck pig, perfectly mirroring their ducking baby of a captain. The only reason he's doing this is because Geelong thinks Adelaide is strongly considering or has already told Dangerfield's manager they'll match the offer, and they want to scare them off via the media.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It probably depends on how much cap room Geelong's got versus how much Adelaide has. I doubt Geelong have the resources to throw a Buddy offer at him.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I hope Adelaide end up matching his offer. I also hope Geelong keep targeting people like Sam Blease for recruitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
adelaide's problem retaining star players is clearly due to the fact nobody wants to live in adelaide

• Locked thread