Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
There is one amazing poster on bigfooty who went from "will be disappointed if we don't win by 30 or 40" when we got on top in the first quarter to "we fought hard but were missing too many players" to "we were dominant in the game but just couldn't kick the winning score" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
And the good times roll on this round as Essendon didn't lose either :unsmith:

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

hiddenmovement posted:

We beat them in 2011 on the way to a flag

Totally forgot that

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
my boss goes for geelong so this being both teams most recent game for the next 2 weeks augurs pretty fuckin well for me

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Spedman posted:

Us Freo supporters hate them too.
Yeah I don't really get this. We hate you cause of Rioli smashing in Ling's face, is this a reaction?

Gough Suppressant posted:

There is one amazing poster on bigfooty who went from "will be disappointed if we don't win by 30 or 40" when we got on top in the first quarter to "we fought hard but were missing too many players" to "we were dominant in the game but just couldn't kick the winning score" :allears:
Everything wrong with Geelong fans summed up in one bigfooty poster :sigh:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Shmoses posted:

Yeah I don't really get this. We hate you cause of Rioli smashing in Ling's face, is this a reaction?

It was Solomon and his pointy elbows, but I think the hatred goes back to 2008 when Mooney, Hunt and Bartel were roughing up our young players, and it's basically resulted in the constant niggling between the clubs since, and the fans seeing Geelong as bunch of arrogant jerks.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Spedman posted:

It was Solomon and his pointy elbows, but I think the hatred goes back to 2008 when Mooney, Hunt and Bartel were roughing up our young players, and it's basically resulted in the constant niggling between the clubs since, and the fans seeing Geelong as bunch of arrogant jerks.

Oh yeah of course it was. Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I would hate us too I suppose.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Statting the gently caress out of your Monday again.

First the club by club grid. Melbourne's is interesting to me this week because Geelong is just another middling club that they've beaten, alongside Footscray and Richmond.

Oh this is a bit of a clusterfuck. Geelong took a bit of a tumble, as you'd expect, so they've dipped just below North (who got a bit of a boost) and Collingwood (who had the bye).

code:
ROUND 12                                    PREDICTION          RESULT                        SWING     RATINGS AFTER R12
18.06 ADE  916 HAW 1197  at ADO :  86 - 102 HAW by  16 (65%)  : ADE  85 lt HAW 114 by  29 + : HAW  13 : ADE  903  HAW 1210 
19.06 RIC  976 WCE 1125  at MCG :  81 -  84 WCE by   3 (52%)  : RIC  70 lt WCE  90 by  20 + : WCE  17 : RIC  959  WCE 1142 
20.06 CAR  546 PAD  927  at MCG :  77 - 103 PAD by  26 (74%)  : CAR 110 df PAD 106 by   4   : CAR  30 : CAR  576  PAD  897 
20.06 GWS  786 NME  911  at SSH :  93 -  93 NME by   0 (50%)  : GWS  61 lt NME 117 by  56 + : NME  56 : GWS  730  NME  967 
20.06 WBD  788 BRL  523  at DCK : 109 -  71 WBD by  38 (83%)  : WBD 146 df BRL  74 by  72 + : WBD  34 : WBD  822  BRL  489 
21.06 GEE 1023 MEL  629  at KAR : 103 -  64 GEE by  39 (84%)  : GEE  89 lt MEL 113 by  24   : MEL  63 : GEE  960  MEL  692 
Collingwood are on 967 so they're dead even with North. Even the Attacking/Defensive breakdowns are almost identical.
Collingwood are Att +78/Def +23
North are Att +77/Def +24
For comparison Geelong are Att +84/Def +10

(I might post the whole table next week after everyone's completed 12 games.)

So for next round, we have:
code:
25.06 FRE 1092 COL  967  at SUB :  92 -  68 FRE by  24 (73%) 
26.06 SYD 1150 RIC  959  at SCG :  91 -  60 SYD by  31 (78%) 
27.06 HAW 1210 ESS  819  at MCG : 104 -  65 HAW by  39 (84%) 
27.06 BRL  489 ADE  903  at GAB :  78 - 107 ADE by  29 (77%) 
27.06 STK  587 WBD  822  at DCK :  84 - 108 WBD by  24 (72%) 
28.06 CAR  576 GCO  624  at DCK :  96 -  89 CAR by   7 (57%) 

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Controversial opinion maybe? I don't think Gibbs should get suspended. I don't see how you can call that tackle two actions, and it doesn't look like his left arm is actually pinned.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I feel like we may be starting to finally crawl to the bottom of the middle rather than the middle of the bottom. 6 of our remaining 10 games are against teams at or below the level that we have beaten and we've got 6 games at the G with only 2 interstate trips.

West Coast in Darwin I think we'll hang around, but we aren't realistically going to win. Fremantle in Perth we'll hopefully give a better account of ourselves than earlier in the year.
Essendon, Brisbane, St Kilda, Bulldogs, Carlton are all winnable games for us, especially with all but the Dogs game being at the MCG. Collingwood I'd actually put us as half a chance too.
GWS without Mumford feels a different prospect entirely, although it's not till round 23 so they should have gelled a bit more with their new ruck setup and may be playing for a spot in the 8 as extra motivation.
North have some kind of mystical voodoo power over us, but this feels like the first time in a long time that we've had them at the G. They've still been beating the teams they're supposed to beat though so they'll go in as decent favourites.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

realbez posted:

Controversial opinion maybe? I don't think Gibbs should get suspended. I don't see how you can call that tackle two actions, and it doesn't look like his left arm is actually pinned.

He does lift him up I feel. I am of the mind he'll get 2 down to one. Not a malicious act but careless for sure.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
He'll get weeks simply because he knocked Gray out. The AFL are trying to stamp that poo poo out.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

New improved(?) results grid!

I am not sure if this is clearer than what I've been doing, but I just knocked this together because I wanted to have it show which games are yet to be played, and it also give an indication of which teams meet twice.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Gibbs given 2 weeks for rough conduct.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Stratton, Gibson, swallow, stokes fined

Cotchin and Mitchell cleared

Gibbs 2 games with an early plea

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

I am not sure if this is clearer than what I've been doing, but I just knocked this together because I wanted to have it show which games are yet to be played, and it also give an indication of which teams meet twice.

I don't like having the two boxes inside the bigger box for each team. It's too busy. The original made it easy to see the patterns evolving but that one not so much. I'm not sure you need the white boxes, it's assumed that if the box is empty they still need to play them.

The first way is good, but for double ups could you split the box in half diagonally? That way if there is one win and a loss then it would be half green and half red.

Maybe remove the 'W' and 'L' and see what it looks like. Everyone knows Green = good and red = bad.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Periphery posted:

I don't like having the two boxes inside the bigger box for each team. It's too busy. The original made it easy to see the patterns evolving but that one not so much. I'm not sure you need the white boxes, it's assumed that if the box is empty they still need to play them.

The first way is good, but for double ups could you split the box in half diagonally? That way if there is one win and a loss then it would be half green and half red.

Maybe remove the 'W' and 'L' and see what it looks like. Everyone knows Green = good and red = bad.
Where are the Ws and Ls?

Otherwise I get what you mean. Shouldn't be too hard to knock in those adjustments.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

The Deadly Hume posted:

Where are the Ws and Ls?

On the periphery duh

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

Where are the Ws and Ls?

Otherwise I get what you mean. Shouldn't be too hard to knock in those adjustments.

Sorry, I meant the Ws and Ls in the original. They might become a problem if you start splitting the boxes. What did you do for double ups in the past?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Periphery posted:

Sorry, I meant the Ws and Ls in the original. They might become a problem if you start splitting the boxes. What did you do for double ups in the past?
Last year I'd just put the two WW or WL or whatever in the cell, and would grey the results when they were split.

What I have been doing was a quick and dirty export to CSV then did the formatting in Excel, but one should avoid Excel when one can do so, so I've spent the last couple of hours making something that would spit out something that I could post without the extra step.

I actually did it with the diagonals like you suggested and it was a bit hard to follow as well. Maybe this is better, at least it gets rid of the boxes inside boxes.

Information design is hard. :(

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

pkid posted:

Gibbs given 2 weeks for rough conduct.

Bigfooty is rife with people saying that now the tackle is dead.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

The Deadly Hume posted:

its not as pretty as the other one but its actually pretty interesting, it gives a good summary as to how everyone's draw is looking. its funny to see gws are actually still well placed to make the finals given their run home. the year isnt getting any easier for gold coast though.

also this year's fixture is weird for a couple of teams, particularly for Adelaide. The Crows play West Coast, Brisbane and Geelong twice each after the bye.

Carlton also get to play Hawthorn twice after the bye

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

Last year I'd just put the two WW or WL or whatever in the cell, and would grey the results when they were split.

What I have been doing was a quick and dirty export to CSV then did the formatting in Excel, but one should avoid Excel when one can do so, so I've spent the last couple of hours making something that would spit out something that I could post without the extra step.

I actually did it with the diagonals like you suggested and it was a bit hard to follow as well. Maybe this is better, at least it gets rid of the boxes inside boxes.

Information design is hard. :(

I think that's better.

I don't want to be a pain, but can you try making the split on the double ups horizontal instead of vertical? I'm not sure if that will be better or worse but it would create a more continuous colour profile (if that makes sense).

I'd also make the colour of the team names either black or dark gray. Having those be two different colours just makes it a bit busier than it otherwise would be. I don't mind the way the top row of team names is vertically formatted in the original either. It helps keep a consistent feel between the name sections and stops the top one getting a bit cramped.

Try a slightly less fluro green. That ones a bit harsh.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

So I was having a look at the ladder and wondering who can be excluded from making the finals.

GWS are still neck and neck with the Hawks but with their injuries you've got to think it's going to be tough for them to hang on.
Does that mean the top 5 is a lock? Not necessarily in the positions they're in now but I don't know if any of those teams are going to poo poo the bed so badly to miss entirely.

So that means you've got 3 spots open to be fought out by Adelaide, Richmond, the Dogs, Cats, North and maybe the Power? Are the Power too far back to actually get in?

Looking at Hume's table, it looks like the Dogs should make it, Port probably wont. The Cats and Adelaide have to play each other twice. If Adelaide wins both they'll knock out the Cats.

I've got a horrible feeling that the last spot in the 8 is going to come down to Richmond V North Melbourne in the last week of the season. That would be a huge game, one I would imagine Richmond would lose.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
So the Bulldogs are 5-2 against teams inside the 8, and 1-3 against teams outside the 8? Cray.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Port wont make it. I did a ladder predictor the other day, and despite thinking I'd given Port a lot of wins, still had them finishing 9th. That was before they lost to Carlton as well.

Port are hosed. Quite the turnaround considering how close they were to the Grand Final last year.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

its not as pretty as the other one but its actually pretty interesting, it gives a good summary as to how everyone's draw is looking. its funny to see gws are actually still well placed to make the finals given their run home. the year isnt getting any easier for gold coast though.

also this year's fixture is weird for a couple of teams, particularly for Adelaide. The Crows play West Coast, Brisbane and Geelong twice each after the bye.

Carlton also get to play Hawthorn twice after the bye

I think one of them is a Friday night game too, oh boy wowee

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Looking at injuries, you can probably scratch the cats if Stanley, Bartel, Kelly or any of the rucks don't come up relatively soon. There's just too much quality missing. I'm inclined to say the same about The Giants, missing Mumford is huge.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

OK, weird stupid kludge to rotate the text in Pillow figured out.

I think I still prefer the separators to be vertical, but anyway.

Giants are really going to miss those two ruckmen, particularly Mumford, so I think they may yet slip out.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Essendon will finish under Melbourne if their current form keeps up.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm still waiting for collingwood to fall in a heap so I can dump this avatar at seasons end

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

Essendon will finish under Melbourne if their current form keeps up.

I ran the ladder predictor and had Melbourne with 8 or 9 wins and Essendon with 5.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

pkid posted:

I ran the ladder predictor and had Melbourne with 8 or 9 wins and Essendon with 5.

Good. I want a high draft pick. Hopefully two if Carlisle decides to look for greener pastures.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

pkid posted:

On current form it is honestly hard to see us winning another game for the rest of the year. You would have thought Gold Coast, but they'll have GAJ back by then and probably be able to field a more complete best 22 as well. We were lucky to get away with the win against St Kilda last time, and that's when we were playing better footy than now. We poo poo the bed against Melbourne all the time. The Dogs are clearly better than us. As are other non-top 8 teams we have to play like Port and Norf etc... Now Bellchambers and Colyer gone for the season. Colyer has been fantastic when he's gotten hold of the ball. Bellchambers has been poo, but it's leaving us with McKernan, Giles and Carlilse to ruck the rest of the year.

So yeah, it's going to be a long ugly road from here. Starting with an absolute smashing from the Hawks this week.

If we go winnless for the rest of the year I can't wait to see the heat on Hird.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

thepokey posted:

If we go winnless for the rest of the year I can't wait to see the heat on Hird.

I'll be very happy when Hird gets sacked, but that happiness will be tinged by a hint of sadness that the headlines will be "Hird out due to Bomber's poor performance" rather than "Hird out due to doping up players with mystery drug".

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'm still waiting for collingwood to fall in a heap so I can dump this avatar at seasons end

They were 8-3 last year too and didn't make finals, so you're in with a good shot.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

When is Hird contracted to?

Colyer out is bad. The midfield was slow enough before this, now it'll be like a wet week. Bellchambers is no great loss, I'm interested to see how McKernan goes for the rest of the year.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'll be very happy when Hird gets sacked, but that happiness will be tinged by a hint of sadness that the headlines will be "Hird out due to Bomber's poor performance" rather than "Hird out due to doping up players with mystery drug".

Which is the crazy thing .. half those #standbyhird people are probably calling for his head now. Putting the health of your players at risk by letting a dodgy drugs program run under your nose? All good. Not winning games of footy? Unacceptable!

When is Hird contracted to?

Colyer out is bad. The midfield was slow enough before this, now it'll be like a wet week. Bellchambers is no great loss, I'm interested to see how McKernan goes for the rest of the year.

End of next year.

I'm interested in McKernan too, but not sold on him being the lone ruck, he strikes me more as someone who can do his time in the ruck but plays more forward.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

thepokey posted:

On current form it is honestly hard to see us winning another game for the rest of the year. You would have thought Gold Coast, but they'll have GAJ back by then and probably be able to field a more complete best 22 as well. We were lucky to get away with the win against St Kilda last time, and that's when we were playing better footy than now. We poo poo the bed against Melbourne all the time. The Dogs are clearly better than us. As are other non-top 8 teams we have to play like Port and Norf etc... Now Bellchambers and Colyer gone for the season. Colyer has been fantastic when he's gotten hold of the ball. Bellchambers has been poo, but it's leaving us with McKernan, Giles and Carlilse to ruck the rest of the year.

So yeah, it's going to be a long ugly road from here. Starting with an absolute smashing from the Hawks this week.

Ablett and Swallow are expected back after the break, along with a host of others. They could go on a massive late season surge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm interested to see how McKernan goes for the rest of the year.

I totally am too :coffeepal:

• Locked thread